HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Perfect Hell

Perfect Hell

Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic Empty
PostSubject: Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic   Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 8:43 am

Of all of the things we have planned for Crusade, story mode is the one concept left unfinished. We have ideas, but we have yet to finalize and confirm this mode, which is an important piece of the finished game.

In this topic, users, coders and spriters will work to create a fully fleshed story mode that will please everyone while keeping within the bounds of our development team.

The Idea
Credit to Giga and DMX.
Spoiler:

An expansion of the bosses and worlds concepts:
Spoiler:

I think these ideas can be combined. Selectable worlds, each world is a combination of 2 series present in Crusade. Within those worlds, you have paths and levels, as DMX had suggested. You also have all of the other features of that mode, such as the items, shop, collectibles, etc. The boss fights can include minor villains from each world, and the final boss of a world would be a double boss fight, featuring one character as the primary boss who you actually have to damage and defeat, and a secondary boss who indirectly interacts with the fight and at most can be stunned.

Things to Discuss

- Story
- World combinations
- Bosses
- Enemies
- Collectibles

Series' to rep:
Spoiler:

Discuss!

Last edited by Perfecthell4 on Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:48 pm; edited 18 times in total
Back to top Go down
Perfect Hell

Perfect Hell

PostSubject: Re: Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic   Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 8:47 am

Gonna offer up my first suggestion: Boss movesets should be extremely simplistic to reduce spriting workload. A previous checklist had jabs, tilts, smashes, aerials, specials, and even a final smash. Doing that for each world would be like spriting a whole new roster, which is a terrible idea. Instead I would keep it to simple stuff, like maybe 2 smashes, a few aerials (less than 5), a jab, a few specials (doesn't necessarily have to be 4), and grab/throws optional.

Also offering up our first focus of discussion: World Crossovers.
Back to top Go down
MercuryHg34

MercuryHg34

PostSubject: Re: Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic   Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 8:55 am

World crossovers could be of two games that are similar, like Starfox and Metroid. Or they could be total opposites, like Sonic The Hedgehog and Fire Emblem. My point is that we should decide on which method to use, or if we want a even mix of both, etc.
Back to top Go down
Perfect Hell

Perfect Hell

PostSubject: Re: Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic   Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 9:06 am

I was thinking similar genre crossovers, like Tekken and MK.
Back to top Go down
Perfect Hell

Perfect Hell

PostSubject: Re: Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic   Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 9:46 am

Series to rep:
Spoiler:

We have 43 series in game. That would mean 21 crossovers and one stand-alone, OR one crossover with Smash universe.

Edit: To reduce the number of worlds, we could have some 3 series cross-overs using the more minor series. For example, if we go with the similar genres, MK-SF-Tekken could be a triple cross-over.

Last edited by Perfecthell4 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dry

PostSubject: Re: Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic   Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 9:51 am

Condor as the Ice Climber boss What a genius I am
Back to top Go down
Perfect Hell

Perfect Hell

PostSubject: Re: Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic   Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 10:39 am

Lol. Let's keep on the topic of cross-overs for now. Genre-related crosses, or polar opposite crosses?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic   Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 10:45 am

I say there should be a relation between the series in some form for there to be a cross over (ex. Mario X F-Zero (Mario has Mario Kart as a spin off, which is a racing game like F-Zero), Metroid X Kid Icarus (reference to the creator and both games on the NES were made with the same engine) Mother X Kirby (both were made by HAL Labs) ect.)
Back to top Go down
Perfect Hell

Perfect Hell

PostSubject: Re: Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic   Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 11:47 am

BluePsychic wrote:
I say there should be a relation between the series in some form for there to be a cross over (ex. Mario X F-Zero (Mario has Mario Kart as a spin off, which is a racing game like F-Zero), Metroid X Kid Icarus (reference to the creator and both games on the NES were made with the same engine) Mother X Kirby (both were made by HAL Labs) ect.)
I like this idea.
Back to top Go down
Dry

PostSubject: Re: Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic   Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 12:40 pm

F-Zero is, imo, better paired off with Star Fox, especially if Metroid is paired off to Kid Icarus. The development of both series has been almost identical, and there is a guy called James McCloud in F-Zero who wears Fox's outfit, which is as much of a shout out as is humanly possible.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic   Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 12:51 pm

Dry wrote:
F-Zero is, imo, better paired off with Star Fox, especially if Metroid is paired off to Kid Icarus. The development of both series has been almost identical, and there is a guy called James McCloud in F-Zero who wears Fox's outfit, which is as much of a shout out as is humanly possible.
Yeah true. I was just going off of the Mario X F-Zero example in the OP
Back to top Go down
Super Smash Bros Crusade
Administrator
Super Smash Bros Crusade

PostSubject: Re: Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic   Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 1:46 pm

it's the robot series not the rob series

jesus
Back to top Go down
https://projectcrusade.forumotion.com
Perfect Hell

Perfect Hell

PostSubject: Re: Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic   Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 1:51 pm

Fixed, calm your tits.

Putting suggested pairings into the OP so we can keep track. Feel free to add new suggestions or discuss the ones already there.
Back to top Go down
GAMEfreak329
Level 3 CPU
GAMEfreak329

PostSubject: Re: Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic   Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 2:08 pm

MercuryHg34 wrote:
World crossovers could be of two games that are similar, like Starfox and Metroid. Or they could be total opposites, like Sonic The Hedgehog and Fire Emblem. My point is that we should decide on which method to use, or if we want a even mix of both, etc.
I believe that a mix of both would be better, and more exciting because if it is going to be entirely similar, I feel that it will become bland. On the other hand, if it's to opposites, it will be way too over the top and will have people scratching their heads. a good balance between the two is what I feel is best for this game so that way there are some outrageous moments mixed in with the similarities
Back to top Go down
Perfect Hell

Perfect Hell

PostSubject: Re: Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic   Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 2:24 pm

Well so far we are going with references to an actual relation existing between the series, such as Star Fox X F-Zero due to James Mccloud being a racer in F-Zero, and Street Fighter X Tekken due to the cross-over fighter.
Back to top Go down
rjones1325
Level 5 CPU
rjones1325

PostSubject: Re: Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic   Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 2:42 pm

we could make it DLC
Back to top Go down
Perfect Hell

Perfect Hell

PostSubject: Re: Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic   Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 2:51 pm

I just looked into Golden Sun, and It's only outside reference belongs to Smash with the Isaac assist trophy. However I found that the creator, Camelot Software Planning, made several of the Mario sports games thus allowing a Mario crossover. I also found that before it became Camelot, it was to be called Sonic! Software Planning and was planned to make this game: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shining_in_the_Darkness
That game is part of the Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection, and so this allows a cross-over with Sonic.

Ristar only really works with Sonic, so how about Ristar X Sonic X Golden Sun?

Two more suggestions:
- DK X Game&Watch (this is due to the strong correlation with DK present in the G&W series, with DK having more games on G&W than any other series)
- Mario X Robot (This is due to Mario being the flagship and mascot of Nintendo, while R.O.B. was made to show off NES as being unique and novel. R.O.B. is also representative of the Mario Bros. stage in SSBB)

Last edited by Perfecthell4 on Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
danick
Level 4 CPU

PostSubject: Re: Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic   Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 3:46 pm

I like this
Back to top Go down
Perfect Hell

Perfect Hell

PostSubject: Re: Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic   Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 3:52 pm

New crossovers in the OP. Got some free time, i'll be updating with more.
Back to top Go down
MercuryHg34

MercuryHg34

PostSubject: Re: Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic   Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 3:55 pm

My problem with this method of pairing is that not everyone will know these references like we do, it should primarily make sense in-game without having to know this stuff. My example before with pairing Starfox and Metroid was because they are both outwardly about outer space and sci-fi, you don't need outside knowledge to understand that. And then there could be a ROB x Ristar x G&W x Ice Climber since they are all retro games, etc.

This is just my idea of how it should be done, but I can live with the way you guys are currently doing it. Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
Nights Owl
Level 4 CPU
Nights Owl

PostSubject: Re: Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic   Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 5:33 pm

Depending on how long you guys plan to make the story mode, I'd say 8 levels per world?
Back to top Go down
Perfect Hell

Perfect Hell

PostSubject: Re: Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic   Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 5:55 pm

With 15-20 worlds? That's a lot of levels.

I was thinking 3-5 levels to a world.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic   Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 6:30 pm

Those crossover worlds are really predictable and boring
Back to top Go down
Nights Owl
Level 4 CPU
Nights Owl

PostSubject: Re: Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic   Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 6:36 pm

Perfecthell4 wrote:
With 15-20 worlds? That's a lot of levels.

I was thinking 3-5 levels to a world.

Well, it really depends on how long the levels are. Lol.

If they're decently sized (4 to 5 minutes each) then yeah, 3 or 4 would be nice.
Back to top Go down
Perfect Hell

Perfect Hell

PostSubject: Re: Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic   Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 8:55 pm

I've decided on a new system of crossovers, tell me what you think:
First, worlds will be paired by real-world references, such as SF X Tekken and F-Zero X Star Fox, etc. However, I will not be using overly obscure references. Any games which do not relate at all or their best reference is obscure will be left off the list to begin with. Once all of the solid reference cross-overs have been paired up, the remaining series' will be paired to each other in whichever manner seems most fitting, possibly through related genres. Golden Sun has been taken off of the Ristar X Sonic pairing, and joins Mortal Kombat and Dragon Ball in the list of unpaired series, which i will add to the OP. Feel free to contribute new references, i'll keep looking.
Back to top Go down
Perfect Hell

Perfect Hell

PostSubject: Re: Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic   Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 9:11 pm

For Klonoa, I have run into the following:
- Appeared in Namco X Capcom with Mike Haggar, that could warrant Klonoa X Final Fight
- Is a Namco character and has the mascot (Pac-Man) on his hat. Klonoa X Pac-Man

Are either of these useable or should Klonoa enter the list of un-designated series?
Back to top Go down
Dry

PostSubject: Re: Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic   Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 2:33 am

sexual priest wrote:
Those crossover worlds are really predictable and boring

What's your own suggestion?
Back to top Go down
AEM

AEM

Ariand54321

PostSubject: Re: Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic   Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 2:36 am

Mortal Kombat x Ace Attorney

Do it.
Back to top Go down
Jak

Klonoa

PostSubject: Re: Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic   Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 6:49 am

Keep in mind this thread is used mainly for suggestions.

Nothing here is getting confirmed or finalized.
Back to top Go down
Perfect Hell

Perfect Hell

PostSubject: Re: Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic   Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic EmptyThu Feb 21, 2013 10:01 am

OP now has all of the crossovers i could find and the list of not yet used series. Any ideas on how to group the remaining?

Also, should I group together Balloon Fight, Ice Climber, Mach Rider, and Duck Hunt? The reason i used for Mach Rider X Duck Hunt also applies to the other two classic games, the difference being the reason i put down for Balloon Fight X Ice Climber.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic   Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic Empty

Back to top Go down

Unofficial Story Mode Discussion Topic
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next