View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Smash King
Smash King
Smash King

EJ88201

How Can We Improve Crusade In General?  Empty
PostSubject: How Can We Improve Crusade In General?    How Can We Improve Crusade In General?  EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 11:43 pm

For those of you who are not aware or don't come by the chat as often. There were several occasions where myself, Jaklub, Bro, & many others discussed about how Crusade, despite the improvements compared to previous demos, seems to always lack something.

I figured that while we wait for the next patch and for updates on 0.9, this would be the perfect time to discuss how we can improve Crusade in general. For example, a number of us feel that Crusade is missing that "Smash Bros" feel to the game.

If you have ideas or suggestions you would like to share, please be open to do so.
Back to top Go down
Dry

PostSubject: Re: How Can We Improve Crusade In General?    How Can We Improve Crusade In General?  EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 12:50 am

The "Smash Bros" feel is probably referring to the blockiness of Crusade physics. In the Smash Bros games, characters were a lot more slippery, and there was a lot more DI. I think that's the main thing that's removing the "Smash Bros" feel from Crusade.
Back to top Go down
MercuryHg34

MercuryHg34

PostSubject: Re: How Can We Improve Crusade In General?    How Can We Improve Crusade In General?  EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 3:46 am

I agree, but I also happen to like the physics as they are. That's just me.
Back to top Go down
Smash King
Smash King
Smash King

EJ88201

PostSubject: Re: How Can We Improve Crusade In General?    How Can We Improve Crusade In General?  EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 4:39 am

I do agree myself, but the physics are fine for me. Probably make it less stiff in movements.

But honestly, I think the physics is not a major problem and only scratches the surface to where we want improvements
Back to top Go down
MercuryHg34

MercuryHg34

PostSubject: Re: How Can We Improve Crusade In General?    How Can We Improve Crusade In General?  EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 5:06 am

I might just be lazy, but I can't really think of things to improve other than what we're planning to improve already. Why don't you start us off with a suggestion, SK?
Back to top Go down
Roy
Level 7 CPU
Roy

RoyMaster4

PostSubject: Re: How Can We Improve Crusade In General?    How Can We Improve Crusade In General?  EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 5:54 am

A lot of what made Smash Bros fun was all the non-competitive aspects. Items. Fun, gimmicky stages. Variety of game options like Metal and Lightning Brawls. I'd say collectables, but we're not there yet (And already have stuff planned in the card game).

I just feel like you're focusing too much on making it good for competitive players when the majority of your fanbase probably won't be as such.

A good way to start may simply be a bunch of new items that aren't from Smash Bros, and adding in Pokeballs and Assist Trophies.
Back to top Go down
Dry

PostSubject: Re: How Can We Improve Crusade In General?    How Can We Improve Crusade In General?  EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 6:02 am

Variety of game options is probably the big one. An adventure mode for Crusade would benefit it greatly.
Back to top Go down
MercuryHg34

MercuryHg34

PostSubject: Re: How Can We Improve Crusade In General?    How Can We Improve Crusade In General?  EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 6:07 am

I agree completely. The only thing I have to add is that it's fine to have lots of fun gimicky stages, as long as there's enough stages for the competitive players to work with as well.
Back to top Go down
Perfect Hell

Perfect Hell

PostSubject: Re: How Can We Improve Crusade In General?    How Can We Improve Crusade In General?  EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 10:37 am

@Roy Pretty much everything planned for this game revolves around casual play, not competitive play. The only things competitive players need are good character balance (being handled very well) and a group of competitive stages. That's one area i'm stepping in a small amount. A very small amount. All i want is to keep a select few of our competitive stages as they are

@Topic There's already quite a lot planned. Modes, characters, stages, items, engine improvements. Much more than any console game had.
Back to top Go down
Smash King
Smash King
Smash King

EJ88201

PostSubject: Re: How Can We Improve Crusade In General?    How Can We Improve Crusade In General?  EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 4:45 pm

Well, here my inputs on what I think needs improvements to the game.

1. Crusade is currently lacking that "party game" atmophere. There are not enough items, modes, gimmick stages, etc that appeals to the casual players. Ever since I joined Crusade after the 0.6 release, I am yet to see new items added into the game. The only good gimmick stage that has been added for as long as I can remember is Excitebike. Pretty much this first reason is pretty much best explained by RoyMaster's post above. I have to admit, most of Crusade has been strictly focused on the competitive scene. We need to balance the needs of both casuals and competitive players.

2. There is not much to work for. What I mean in this is that there is nothing to collect. Remember in Smash how much fun it was to unlock certain trophies after doing certain task to unlock it? Also, everything that is unlockable in the game is too easy and too quick to unlock. I feel that we should start making some current playable characters unlockable in every demo from this point forward. Make unlocking the characters a challenge. Same thing with items, collectables, stages, etc.

Well, thats all I can think of at this time. What you guys think?
Back to top Go down
SP

cellularSP

PostSubject: Re: How Can We Improve Crusade In General?    How Can We Improve Crusade In General?  EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 4:56 pm

Have a consistent style of graphics.
Not sure if this has been added, but 4-player support, that is a complaint I hear regularly.
More game modes. Good ones would be Events, special battles (Metal heavy bunny giant curry battle ftw), training mode (NF's idea was pretty good), and a unique mode to Crusade.
More items.
Collectables/unlockables. And not unlockable like in Brawl, that was way too easy. Make it like Melee, which made you play different modes and try out most of the characters to unlock everything.
Back to top Go down
Jak

Klonoa

PostSubject: Re: How Can We Improve Crusade In General?    How Can We Improve Crusade In General?  EmptyThu Apr 26, 2012 2:07 am

perfecthell4 wrote:
@Roy Pretty much everything planned for this game revolves around casual play, not competitive play. The only things competitive players need are good character balance (being handled very well) and a group of competitive stages. That's one area i'm stepping in a small amount. A very small amount. All i want is to keep a select few of our competitive stages as they are
That's what is planned.

What is now is simply boring for non-competitive players.
Back to top Go down
Perfect Hell

Perfect Hell

PostSubject: Re: How Can We Improve Crusade In General?    How Can We Improve Crusade In General?  EmptyThu Apr 26, 2012 3:40 pm

That comment was mostly talking about this new project to revamp all the stage designs, and also the Stage Discussion thread's obvious obsession with gimmicks and complexity. Both of which I am ok with as long as a few stages stay competitive. That's not what was already planned, that revamp thread tried to take BG, VV and GEG. Every competitive stage bar BF and FD

@Topic OP should start getting updated with all of the suggestions so we can keep a compilation of general game improvements, and at some point we can start voting on some of them, or at least weeding out the bad ideas
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How Can We Improve Crusade In General?    How Can We Improve Crusade In General?  EmptyThu Apr 26, 2012 4:04 pm

You need to stop worrying about the stage revamp thread. Its not made by a dev, and nothing in it is official.
Back to top Go down
Perfect Hell

Perfect Hell

PostSubject: Re: How Can We Improve Crusade In General?    How Can We Improve Crusade In General?  EmptyThu Apr 26, 2012 4:10 pm

I also mentioned stage discussion and people voting against simple stages. While the revamps are not yet official, they have been receiving some good support from the community. In any case, I don't see the problem with those protests. I'm being overly fair about it. For example, bringing back again RB, VV, GEG. Out of those, I asked that one be left alone. Just one.
Back to top Go down
Mr.Jackpot
Level 1 CPU
Mr.Jackpot

PostSubject: Re: How Can We Improve Crusade In General?    How Can We Improve Crusade In General?  EmptyThu Apr 26, 2012 11:25 pm

I think Crusade is still in a somewhat early stage right now and all the stages/items/modes/overall content will come in time. It's not a bad thing that they want to perfect the core engine before throwing all the random fun stuff in. A few of the biggest problems I'm seeing so far though are:

Graphics: Crusade seems to be lacking a real art style. While all the more general graphics like the Menus, HUDs, and hit GFX's are very nice looking all clashing sprites and stages look very messy. You guys should do what SSF2 did and make a unified art style with all the ripped/custom sprites and stages you have at hand.

Character Design: The Crusade engine is quite amazing with it's ground to air momentum physics, clean ledge mechanics, L-cancelling, Melee AD, and good gravity/hitstun values and quite frankly, it deserves better. A lot of attacks have very awkward knockback distances/angles and angles and most movesets just don't seem to have any flow to them at all. Adding tumble state out of hitstun and no air-dodge out of tumble would definitely held to that and so would grounded state and teching, but overall the different moves of a character NEED to feel like that were made to set each other up. That way you can make it feel like that the sprites were made for the attacks and not the other way around, even if the latter is true.

Non-weapon hitboxes in general need to be a lot more disjointed, I know this is the most extreme example but compare this attack from Melee to it's counterpart in Crusade. Attacks need to go out a little more in that kind of way because every single character in Smash (except for DK, but that's why he sucks) has his/her attacks out at least little bit like that.

Engine: There's still a few tweaks needed to perfect it. Characters look kind of weird when they're really far off the edge and wobble stage should help with that. Air to ground momentum would also make the game look a LOT more smooth, and it should go right with wobble to make edge (and taunt) canceling, and wavedashing as well. You guys might also want to think about changing the L-cancel system back to multiplying landing lag to a certain constant that's not necessarily 1/2 (because 64 canceling kind of defeats the purpose of landing lag) or making landing lag and L-canceled landing lag values different for every attack so that non canceled lag can be put to a more aesthetically pleasing value and canceled lag can be put to a value that makes more sense. Or you guys can just do Brawl+ auto-l canceling if find it a hassle/pointless execution barrier.

Whew, that ended up a lot longer than I thought it would. Shocked Hope you guys spend as much time considering and making these changes than I did writing them.https://img.photobucket.com/albums/v122/CyberSach/Bair12.png
Back to top Go down
Perfect Hell

Perfect Hell

PostSubject: Re: How Can We Improve Crusade In General?    How Can We Improve Crusade In General?  EmptySat Apr 28, 2012 2:59 pm

The stuff you talked about in character design firstly has nothing to do with "design", but that's just nitpicking. In any case, the balancing team has taken care of it and you'll see it in the upcoming patch
Back to top Go down
Slissith

Slissith

( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)

PostSubject: Re: How Can We Improve Crusade In General?    How Can We Improve Crusade In General?  EmptyTue May 08, 2012 6:06 am

First, I'd like to commend SK for making this thread.

The game does lack in some areas such as stages, but this issue has already gotten satisfying attention, which is really good.

I don't have much to say, but some attacks do not seem to hit when they should, such as in the event of characters ovelapping, which can be really annoying. This is my most important comment, as I see it.
Back to top Go down
Doq
Level 6 CPU
Doq

Ask in 20 years.

PostSubject: Re: How Can We Improve Crusade In General?    How Can We Improve Crusade In General?  EmptyWed Aug 22, 2012 5:31 pm

Improve it's compatibility by bringing it to other operating systems. (I probably have said this on other places in the forum, but all I wanted was [I'm not repeating it again, just look at the sig.])
Back to top Go down
http://www.doqk.ml/
JMan
Level 4 CPU
JMan

Knuckles

PostSubject: Re: How Can We Improve Crusade In General?    How Can We Improve Crusade In General?  EmptySat Aug 25, 2012 12:08 am

I don't know about you guys but im surprise no one has mention one of the biggest problem

THIS GAME CANT INTO SLOPES
Back to top Go down
http://battlecrossfever.com
Traweezie

Traweezie

PostSubject: Re: How Can We Improve Crusade In General?    How Can We Improve Crusade In General?  EmptySat Aug 25, 2012 12:38 am

jman wrote:
I don't know about you guys but im surprise no one has mention one of the biggest problem

THIS GAME CANT INTO SLOPES

Well jman everyone knows that already and the game is getting ported to GM8.1 so the stage coding will be totally different
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/traweezie?feature=mhee
JMan
Level 4 CPU
JMan

Knuckles

PostSubject: Re: How Can We Improve Crusade In General?    How Can We Improve Crusade In General?  EmptySat Aug 25, 2012 12:54 am

Good now they can focus on a new zero suit samus with boob bouncing animations
Back to top Go down
Traweezie

Traweezie

PostSubject: Re: How Can We Improve Crusade In General?    How Can We Improve Crusade In General?  EmptySat Aug 25, 2012 1:02 am

jman wrote:

If the sprite quality is good enough I would love to see this happen Btw do you mind if I share your IRC channel on my yt vids?
Back to top Go down
JMan
Level 4 CPU
JMan

Knuckles

PostSubject: Re: How Can We Improve Crusade In General?    How Can We Improve Crusade In General?  EmptySat Aug 25, 2012 1:08 am

Traweezie wrote:
jman wrote:

If the sprite quality is good enough I would love to see this happen Btw do you mind if I share your IRC channel on my yt vids?

feel free i just bought it back from dead dont have to worry about people saying its not working anymore lols since i got a DNS so expect it working all the time don't have to worry about my ip changing anymore
Back to top Go down
Traweezie

Traweezie

PostSubject: Re: How Can We Improve Crusade In General?    How Can We Improve Crusade In General?  EmptySat Aug 25, 2012 1:15 am

jman wrote:
Traweezie wrote:
jman wrote:

feel free i just bought it back from dead dont have to worry about people saying its not working anymore lols since i got a DNS so expect it working all the time don't have to worry about my ip changing anymore

Coolness I'll be sure to share it on my vids from now on so we can get the online community together and get some matches
Back to top Go down
Perfect Hell

Perfect Hell

PostSubject: Re: How Can We Improve Crusade In General?    How Can We Improve Crusade In General?  EmptySat Aug 25, 2012 7:26 am

Crusade needs a traction system that feels like Melee. That would make a huge difference towards feeling like a true smash game
Back to top Go down
JMan
Level 4 CPU
JMan

Knuckles

PostSubject: Re: How Can We Improve Crusade In General?    How Can We Improve Crusade In General?  EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 7:14 pm

oh oh I know another suggestion

Fix Mario and Luigi
Back to top Go down
MercuryHg34

MercuryHg34

PostSubject: Re: How Can We Improve Crusade In General?    How Can We Improve Crusade In General?  EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 8:05 pm

If you mean sprites, that's already being done. If you mean balancing that's done too.
Back to top Go down
Super Smash Bros Crusade
Administrator
Super Smash Bros Crusade

PostSubject: Re: How Can We Improve Crusade In General?    How Can We Improve Crusade In General?  EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 8:22 pm

jman wrote:
oh oh I know another suggestion

Fix Mario and Luigi

only if you be more vague
Back to top Go down
https://projectcrusade.forumotion.com
JMan
Level 4 CPU
JMan

Knuckles

PostSubject: Re: How Can We Improve Crusade In General?    How Can We Improve Crusade In General?  EmptySun Aug 26, 2012 8:44 pm

lol I was hoping someone knew what I meant. To see if anyone notice something about them.
A friend just pointed out to me the Devs didn't understand Mario and luigi very mcuh
their down Bs and shooting the fireball in the air and Im like oh shi your right
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How Can We Improve Crusade In General?    How Can We Improve Crusade In General?  Empty

Back to top Go down

How Can We Improve Crusade In General?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 7Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next