View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
AuthorMessage
Roy
Level 7 CPU
Roy

RoyMaster4

Frisk (Undertale) Discussion: The Pacifist or The Genocidal - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Frisk (Undertale) Discussion: The Pacifist or The Genocidal   Frisk (Undertale) Discussion: The Pacifist or The Genocidal - Page 6 EmptySat Feb 06, 2016 1:58 pm

I'm not sure if the 'too early' argument really applies anymore. It's been out for 5 months and is still very popular, and the Nintendo relevence is actually on its way. Shovel Knight is probably the top indie rep (considering it has an amiibo, a recent significant update in Plague of Shadows, and more updates coming in the future), but Undertale isn't necessarily a bad choice.

Regardless, let's talk about the most important thing: How would Frisk play? The most popular run in the game is pacifist, which is why I had suggested that type of moveset to make her unique. But if we were combining both kinds of playstyles, I don't know how it could be made too unique.

... so, maybe just a stage + assist trophy is plenty. Frisk herself isn't really a significant character and is kind of weird to make a moveset for.
Back to top Go down
Lego Shaq

Lego Shaq

Geno

PostSubject: Re: Frisk (Undertale) Discussion: The Pacifist or The Genocidal   Frisk (Undertale) Discussion: The Pacifist or The Genocidal - Page 6 EmptySat Feb 06, 2016 2:15 pm

Roy wrote:
I'm not sure if the 'too early' argument really applies anymore. It's been out for 5 months and is still very popular, and the Nintendo relevence is actually on its way. Shovel Knight is probably the top indie rep (considering it has an amiibo, a recent significant update in Plague of Shadows, and more updates coming in the future), but Undertale isn't necessarily a bad choice.

Regardless, let's talk about the most important thing: How would Frisk play? The most popular run in the game is pacifist, which is why I had suggested that type of moveset to make her unique. But if we were combining both kinds of playstyles, I don't know how it could be made too unique.

... so, maybe just a stage + assist trophy is plenty. Frisk herself isn't really a significant character and is kind of weird to make a moveset for.
No, it does. Fads can last a long time.

The Nintendo relevance is not on it's way. The Guacamelee porters only expressed interest in doing it, not confirmed it.

And....it's them, not her

Back to top Go down
Dustination

Mach Rider
  Dustination

PostSubject: Re: Frisk (Undertale) Discussion: The Pacifist or The Genocidal   Frisk (Undertale) Discussion: The Pacifist or The Genocidal - Page 6 EmptySat Feb 06, 2016 2:15 pm

It's "him"
Back to top Go down
https://projectcrusade.forumotion.com/
Lego Shaq

Lego Shaq

Geno

PostSubject: Re: Frisk (Undertale) Discussion: The Pacifist or The Genocidal   Frisk (Undertale) Discussion: The Pacifist or The Genocidal - Page 6 EmptySat Feb 06, 2016 2:22 pm

Dustination wrote:
It's "him"
Classic Dust
Back to top Go down
Roy
Level 7 CPU
Roy

RoyMaster4

PostSubject: Re: Frisk (Undertale) Discussion: The Pacifist or The Genocidal   Frisk (Undertale) Discussion: The Pacifist or The Genocidal - Page 6 EmptySun Feb 07, 2016 9:42 am

Lego Shaq wrote:

The Nintendo relevance is not on it's way. The Guacamelee porters only expressed interest in doing it, not confirmed it.
That's true, Pokemon is still going strong after all these years. Who said anything about Guacamelee porters? The lead developer of Undertale wants to port it to Wii U. Those porters are only one group of people who could potentially do it.

You also missed the bigger picture. You're so focused on the fact that it's a new fad game that you're ignoring the character itself and how it can play. That's what this topic should be about.
Back to top Go down
Lego Shaq

Lego Shaq

Geno

PostSubject: Re: Frisk (Undertale) Discussion: The Pacifist or The Genocidal   Frisk (Undertale) Discussion: The Pacifist or The Genocidal - Page 6 EmptySun Feb 07, 2016 10:43 am

Roy wrote:
Lego Shaq wrote:

That's true, Pokemon is still going strong after all these years. Who said anything about Guacamelee porters? The lead developer of Undertale wants to port it to Wii U. Those porters are only one group of people who could potentially do it.

You also missed the bigger picture. You're so focused on the fact that it's a new fad game that you're ignoring the character itself and how it can play. That's what this topic should be about.
The character itself has been talked about NUMEROUS times. And I personally don't like them, in a Smash scenario. The drawing point of the game is pacifism. I understand there's a No Mercy route, doesn't mean that should be what we represent. And the moveset isn't really that stupendous either.

I've had the bigger picture numerous times and talked about it numerous times.

Also, the Guacamelee porters are the only ones who have expressed interest in doing it.
Back to top Go down
Roy
Level 7 CPU
Roy

RoyMaster4

PostSubject: Re: Frisk (Undertale) Discussion: The Pacifist or The Genocidal   Frisk (Undertale) Discussion: The Pacifist or The Genocidal - Page 6 EmptySun Feb 07, 2016 1:42 pm

Alright, let's stick to the character itself then.

I agree - If Frisk were to get into the game, she should be represented by the pacifist side more than the genocidal. It's just kind of awkward to make a pacifist moveset... I did try once but no one really responded much to it.

In any case, the moveset in the OP is not what I would want to see.
Back to top Go down
AkumaTh
Level 3 CPU
AkumaTh

AkumaTh

PostSubject: Re: Frisk (Undertale) Discussion: The Pacifist or The Genocidal   Frisk (Undertale) Discussion: The Pacifist or The Genocidal - Page 6 EmptySun Feb 07, 2016 3:58 pm

Roy wrote:
I agree - If Frisk were to get into the game, she should be represented by the pacifist side more than the genocidal. It's just kind of awkward to make a pacifist moveset... I did try once but no one really responded much to it.

Same here. I figured that even if you are going for a Pacifist Ending, you do have to fight regardless and made his moves based on the stuff he has done in the game. I figure he would be the weakest player with just two specific attacks that do the most damage.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mgcomics.com/
Braystar
Level 7 CPU
Braystar

Waluigi
  N/A

PostSubject: Re: Frisk (Undertale) Discussion: The Pacifist or The Genocidal   Frisk (Undertale) Discussion: The Pacifist or The Genocidal - Page 6 EmptySun Feb 07, 2016 4:28 pm

onestly, no one will ever make a good "Mercy" moveset for Frisk because Smash isn't the type of game for that. Even Phenoix is not defence-y.
Back to top Go down
Roy
Level 7 CPU
Roy

RoyMaster4

PostSubject: Re: Frisk (Undertale) Discussion: The Pacifist or The Genocidal   Frisk (Undertale) Discussion: The Pacifist or The Genocidal - Page 6 EmptySun Feb 07, 2016 5:49 pm

There were only 2 times you ever had to 'fight' - the first time he was reluctant to fight you as well (and thus the damage you dealt increased over time), and the other battle is only possible due to defenses dropping to 0 (and becomes irrelevent anyways). Frisk just doesn't hit very hard. In fact, both of these are only in the neutral ending - so as a 'true pacifist', you never have to fight (unless you count the fake hit vs Undyne).

Hm... just a thought - what if Frisk's 'mercy' attacks weakened her opponents? Like, made their attacks hit less hard. The main point of pacifism was to instead befriend everyone who wanted to kill you.

Don't know how to translate this into a kill move without using a 'press spare to finish a stock' sort of thing...
Back to top Go down
AkumaTh
Level 3 CPU
AkumaTh

AkumaTh

PostSubject: Re: Frisk (Undertale) Discussion: The Pacifist or The Genocidal   Frisk (Undertale) Discussion: The Pacifist or The Genocidal - Page 6 EmptySun Feb 07, 2016 7:38 pm

Roy wrote:
There were only 2 times you ever had to 'fight' - the first time he was reluctant to fight you as well (and thus the damage you dealt increased over time), and the other battle is only possible due to defenses dropping to 0 (and becomes irrelevent anyways).

There is a third time as well. And it is unavoidable. Mettaton. When his heart is exposed, you have to shoot it with a Yellow Soul. So Frisk is capable of fighting even during a Pacifist run. It just that he chooses not to.
Back to top Go down
AEM

AEM

Ariand54321

PostSubject: Re: Frisk (Undertale) Discussion: The Pacifist or The Genocidal   Frisk (Undertale) Discussion: The Pacifist or The Genocidal - Page 6 EmptyMon Feb 08, 2016 2:54 am

AkumaTh wrote:
Roy wrote:
There were only 2 times you ever had to 'fight' - the first time he was reluctant to fight you as well (and thus the damage you dealt increased over time), and the other battle is only possible due to defenses dropping to 0 (and becomes irrelevent anyways).

There is a third time as well. And it is unavoidable. Mettaton. When his heart is exposed, you have to shoot it with a Yellow Soul. So Frisk is capable of fighting even during a Pacifist run. It just that he chooses not to.
Shooting him only adds ratings and is completely optional. He actually falls apart all on his own.
Back to top Go down
AkumaTh
Level 3 CPU
AkumaTh

AkumaTh

PostSubject: Re: Frisk (Undertale) Discussion: The Pacifist or The Genocidal   Frisk (Undertale) Discussion: The Pacifist or The Genocidal - Page 6 EmptyMon Feb 08, 2016 12:27 pm

AEM wrote:
Shooting him only adds ratings and is completely optional. He actually falls apart all on his own.
Do you have video proof? Because every Pacifist Fight I've seen has him shooting. And despite shooting, still Pacifist. It suggests that it is the most canon thing to happen because you can shoot the heart and still be considered a Pacifist.
Back to top Go down
Lego Shaq

Lego Shaq

Geno

PostSubject: Re: Frisk (Undertale) Discussion: The Pacifist or The Genocidal   Frisk (Undertale) Discussion: The Pacifist or The Genocidal - Page 6 EmptyMon Feb 08, 2016 2:26 pm

AkumaTh wrote:
AEM wrote:
Do you have video proof? Because every Pacifist Fight I've seen has him shooting. And despite shooting, still Pacifist. It suggests that it is the most canon thing to happen because you can shoot the heart and still be considered a Pacifist.
It doesn't even matter because even if you have to attack twice in the route, that's still not representative of the main draw. Your only logic is that "they can fight but they don't". And people know them for not fighting which is the way that we should go, and if we go that way theres not much good choices for a moveset
Back to top Go down
AkumaTh
Level 3 CPU
AkumaTh

AkumaTh

PostSubject: Re: Frisk (Undertale) Discussion: The Pacifist or The Genocidal   Frisk (Undertale) Discussion: The Pacifist or The Genocidal - Page 6 EmptyMon Feb 08, 2016 8:38 pm

Lego Shaq wrote:
It doesn't even matter because even if you have to attack twice in the route, that's still not representative of the main draw. Your only logic is that "they can fight but they don't". And people know them for not fighting which is the way that we should go, and if we go that way theres not much good choices for a moveset
So why try to make it Pure Pacifist Frisk and not just Undertale's Frisk? Make a move list that highlight the things you can do in Undertale? Represent the game through Frisk. Like Ness having Paula's PK Moves.

But I like a challenge and I am going to try to make a Pure Pacifist Movelist.
dddd:
Back to top Go down
Sean_McMuffin
Level 4 CPU
Sean_McMuffin

Mach Rider
  EnderSean311

PostSubject: Re: Frisk (Undertale) Discussion: The Pacifist or The Genocidal   Frisk (Undertale) Discussion: The Pacifist or The Genocidal - Page 6 EmptyTue Feb 09, 2016 10:38 am

Good attempt at the moveset, but it still fails to capture Frisk's character. Every attack would have to do like 0%. Although... That could make for an interesting mechanic. Ah, who am I kidding. Frisk just isn't right for smash no matter how long this thread is debated over.
Back to top Go down
procrastinatingDestiny
Level 6 CPU
procrastinatingDestiny

DestinyIntwined

PostSubject: Re: Frisk (Undertale) Discussion: The Pacifist or The Genocidal   Frisk (Undertale) Discussion: The Pacifist or The Genocidal - Page 6 EmptyTue Feb 09, 2016 10:39 am

Help, this thread is shooting straight into the toilet!
Back to top Go down
Roy
Level 7 CPU
Roy

RoyMaster4

PostSubject: Re: Frisk (Undertale) Discussion: The Pacifist or The Genocidal   Frisk (Undertale) Discussion: The Pacifist or The Genocidal - Page 6 EmptyTue Feb 09, 2016 12:08 pm

The thing is, we need a central gimmick to make this work. Without that, the character will never feel right. Though that might seem a bit forced...

Assuming we use Akuma's moveset... What if instead of doing damage, Frisk instead built up a meter (knockback and such are still there, though). Once you're at full meter, any attack would be an instant kill as long as Frisk has 'Determination' (ala danger zones in Great Cave Offensive).

Gameplay-wise, this would be an interesting dance of sorts, forcing Frisk to be aggressive when the time is right, but her opponent also knowing that as well. So the opponent can either counter by being aggressive in return so Frisk can't attack, or running away until Determination runs out (and then attack during cooldown).
Back to top Go down
AkumaTh
Level 3 CPU
AkumaTh

AkumaTh

PostSubject: Re: Frisk (Undertale) Discussion: The Pacifist or The Genocidal   Frisk (Undertale) Discussion: The Pacifist or The Genocidal - Page 6 EmptyTue Feb 09, 2016 12:25 pm

Sean_McMuffin wrote:
Good attempt at the moveset, but it still fails to capture Frisk's character.

Frisk doesn't really have a character. Like Villager or Red, Frisk is more of a representative of the player. Thus the move list of Villager being things he does in the game (and Balloon Fighter). Or using Crusade as an example, Duck Hunt Dog who has moves that reminds you of the games he plays but doesn't really show off his character (because all he had was a laugh).

And like Phoenix Wright, who is just as Pacifist as Frisk, they're not really attacking the opponent. It just so happens these actions inflict damage.
Back to top Go down
SP

cellularSP

PostSubject: Re: Frisk (Undertale) Discussion: The Pacifist or The Genocidal   Frisk (Undertale) Discussion: The Pacifist or The Genocidal - Page 6 EmptyTue Feb 09, 2016 12:34 pm

My idea for a 'gimmick' when I tried making a Frisk moveset a while ago was to represent the element of choice in Undertale.

Basically, moves would be under "pacifist", "neutral", or "malevolent" in categorization, and each action would fill up a "meter" (visible or invisible), with pacifist actions draining the meter, malevolent actions filling the meter, and neutral actions moving the meter towards the middle, no matter where the meter is filled.

If in the middle, Frisk is on a "neutral run", where (s)he has no real strengths but no weaknesses either stat-wise. If the meter is filled, Frisk will enter a "genocide run", where Frisk gets bonus attack damage and speed, but defense is lowered; some attacks could also be replaced with a knife. Frisk would stay like this until neutral/pacifist actions reduce the meter back down to the middle, where Frisk will enter a neutral state again.
If the meter is depleted, Frisk will enter a "pacifist run". Here, Frisk plays more defensively, increasing Frisk's weight and reducing damage taken. In return, certain moves are changed (some deal no damage at all now), and Frisk's damage is reduced drastically; however, Frisk's knockback coincidentally increases as well, encouraging a keep-away playstyle. Frisk would stay like this until (s)he enters back into a neutral state with neutral or genocidal actions.

You could even go further with this idea, but this is just the basic idea I had.
Back to top Go down
TrinitroMan
Level 7 CPU
TrinitroMan

PostSubject: Re: Frisk (Undertale) Discussion: The Pacifist or The Genocidal   Frisk (Undertale) Discussion: The Pacifist or The Genocidal - Page 6 EmptyTue Feb 09, 2016 12:48 pm

Actually, this is interesting and never seen before.
If Undertale still retains its popularity even when the fad is over, then I could see Frisk as a playable with this moveset gimmick.
But not before indie characters with more importance to videogame history get in.
Back to top Go down
Braystar
Level 7 CPU
Braystar

Waluigi
  N/A

PostSubject: Re: Frisk (Undertale) Discussion: The Pacifist or The Genocidal   Frisk (Undertale) Discussion: The Pacifist or The Genocidal - Page 6 EmptyTue Feb 09, 2016 1:10 pm

I agree with Sean, Frisk just isn't cut out for Smash. And no, this isn't just my blind hate of UT. "They" would have the most craziest of gimmicks just to feel like the game. And at that point it'll be just crazy
Back to top Go down
procrastinatingDestiny
Level 6 CPU
procrastinatingDestiny

DestinyIntwined

PostSubject: Re: Frisk (Undertale) Discussion: The Pacifist or The Genocidal   Frisk (Undertale) Discussion: The Pacifist or The Genocidal - Page 6 EmptyTue Feb 09, 2016 2:00 pm

And yet, this thread is still going
Back to top Go down
SP

cellularSP

PostSubject: Re: Frisk (Undertale) Discussion: The Pacifist or The Genocidal   Frisk (Undertale) Discussion: The Pacifist or The Genocidal - Page 6 EmptyTue Feb 09, 2016 2:03 pm

DestinyIntwined wrote:
And yet, this thread is still going

Great observation Johnny!
Back to top Go down
thebuddyadrian
Level 5 CPU
thebuddyadrian

thebuddyadrian

PostSubject: Re: Frisk (Undertale) Discussion: The Pacifist or The Genocidal   Frisk (Undertale) Discussion: The Pacifist or The Genocidal - Page 6 EmptyWed Feb 10, 2016 8:19 pm

DestinyIntwined wrote:
Punch Punch Kick
You should put "chop kick block"
Back to top Go down
Kzinssie
Level 5 CPU
Kzinssie

Shadow
  slothfulunchmeat

PostSubject: Re: Frisk (Undertale) Discussion: The Pacifist or The Genocidal   Frisk (Undertale) Discussion: The Pacifist or The Genocidal - Page 6 EmptySat Feb 20, 2016 12:07 am

I support Frisk, but I feel like it would be best to have some sort of Mercy gimmick. Maybe some of their moves increase a hidden "Spare" meter, and when it gets high enough they can use one of their specials to get a point without actually KOing the opponent normally?
Back to top Go down
TaXMaN
Level 6 CPU
TaXMaN

PAC-MAN

PostSubject: Re: Frisk (Undertale) Discussion: The Pacifist or The Genocidal   Frisk (Undertale) Discussion: The Pacifist or The Genocidal - Page 6 EmptySat Feb 20, 2016 12:23 am

Kzinssie wrote:
I support Frisk, but I feel like it would be best to have some sort of Mercy gimmick. Maybe some of their moves increase a hidden "Spare" meter, and when it gets high enough they can use one of their specials to get a point without actually KOing the opponent normally?

How would it work in Stock matches, though?
Back to top Go down
TrinitroMan
Level 7 CPU
TrinitroMan

PostSubject: Re: Frisk (Undertale) Discussion: The Pacifist or The Genocidal   Frisk (Undertale) Discussion: The Pacifist or The Genocidal - Page 6 EmptySat Feb 20, 2016 4:39 am

Maybe the opponent that gets "hit" by the special loses a stock without actually getting KOed.
Just a guess, though.
Back to top Go down
Kzinssie
Level 5 CPU
Kzinssie

Shadow
  slothfulunchmeat

PostSubject: Re: Frisk (Undertale) Discussion: The Pacifist or The Genocidal   Frisk (Undertale) Discussion: The Pacifist or The Genocidal - Page 6 EmptySat Feb 20, 2016 11:15 am

Yeah, pretty much. You do a KO without actually launching the opponent offscreen or resetting their damage and position, essentially.
Back to top Go down
TaXMaN
Level 6 CPU
TaXMaN

PAC-MAN

PostSubject: Re: Frisk (Undertale) Discussion: The Pacifist or The Genocidal   Frisk (Undertale) Discussion: The Pacifist or The Genocidal - Page 6 EmptySun Feb 21, 2016 12:23 am

Kzinssie wrote:
Yeah, pretty much. You do a KO without actually launching the opponent offscreen or resetting their damage and position, essentially.

Sounds kinda OP to me. If you rack up enough damage against an opponent and have a full "Spare meter", you almost have two KO's in your pocket.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Frisk (Undertale) Discussion: The Pacifist or The Genocidal   Frisk (Undertale) Discussion: The Pacifist or The Genocidal - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Frisk (Undertale) Discussion: The Pacifist or The Genocidal
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 9Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next