HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Agnes Oblige (Bravely Default) Discussion

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Azure_Raven
Level 4 CPU

Mr. Game & Watch

Agnes Oblige (Bravely Default) Discussion  Empty
PostSubject: Agnes Oblige (Bravely Default) Discussion    Agnes Oblige (Bravely Default) Discussion  EmptyFri Oct 31, 2014 10:01 pm

Agnes Oblige (Bravely Default) Discussion  Agnes

Background
Name: Agnes Oblige
Origin: Bravely Default

Agnes Oblige is one of the four main characters of the 3DS game, Bravely Default, published by Square Enix.  With little interactions to the outside world, her sole purpose is to watch over the Crystal Of Wind, which “governs” her world and protects it through her prayers. However, when a mysterious darkness clouds over the crystal, she sets out to the town of Norende to discover the cause of this disaster. Little does she know about what awaits her in the future.

How is she relevent to Nintendo?
Yes, I am doing this, much similarly to how the CrusaDLC and Suggestion Polls operated before.

That being said, she appears in Bravely Default, as well as the upcoming sequel, Bravely Second, both of which are on the Nintendo 3DS.

Why should she be in Crusade?
Reasons:
- There is a lack of females in Crusade. Adding her could even out the odds.
- She could possibly be another rep for Square Enix.
- Bravely Default itself is considered a new twist on an old classic.
- She could provide an interesting gimmick in her playstyle, which I will explain later in this topic.

Gameplay:
There are 3 large mechanics on her playstyle:
1) Weapons
  - Much like Link and Megaman, Agnes could have access to various weapons, such as a dagger, rod, or bow. This isn't really much of a mechanic, just a way of how she could attack.

2) Asterisks
  - Throughout the game, Agnes and her party can obtain various stones known as "Asterisks". These allow her and her team to change to various jobs known throughout The Final Fantasy series. To avoid making her moveset too "dramatic", I will be limiting the number of asterisks to the ones that she is seen to be using whenever a job is previewed, as well as the asterisks used in crossovers, such as "Roads to Dragons"
Asterisks:
This could have a major impact on her playstyle. For example, she could use the Valkyrie's "Jump" ability as her recovery, which could in a similar fashion as King Dedede's, or use the Ninja's "Shippujinrai" as her Side Special, where she could charge it up for a boost forward. Her Down Special could probably be either the Summoner, where she calls upon otherworldly beings to attack her opponents, or the Arcanist to poison her enemies. But what about her Neutral Special?...

3) The BP System
- The core of her gameplay and what makes her unique to Crusade. In Bravely Default, the battle are determined by two options: Brave and Default (kind of obvious, is it not?) Brave allows you to attack an opponent, but can leave you open for attacks. Default allows you to guard against enemy attacks, as well as allowing you to attack more than once in one turn. This determined how the battles progressed in the game: Should you attack and get attacked, or should should you defend to earn more chances?

This could be incorporated into Agnes's moveset as her Neutral Special. By pressing the special button, she holds up a shield similar to the one seen in the game, and if she gets attacked while in this state, this could add 1 Brave Point (or BP) to her BP system. The system itself could work like Little Mac's KO Meter or Shulk's Monado Arts in SSB4, where a number could appear next to her icon, indicating how much BP she has.

But how would this be useful. Well, much like how she would be given additional chances to attack by Defaulting in Bravely Default, in Crusade, it could make her normal and aerial attacks stronger, depending on the number (0 for weak, and 4 for powerful). In order to even this out however, what I propose is that every time she uses an attack that involves an asterisk or job, it would make her lose a BP, much like how it worked in her game. She could probably be given a limit on how much she could use Default, depending the damage it absorbs.

Moveset
Moveset:

Last edited by Pakeli on Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:24 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Azure_Raven
Level 4 CPU

Mr. Game & Watch

PostSubject: Re: Agnes Oblige (Bravely Default) Discussion    Agnes Oblige (Bravely Default) Discussion  EmptyThu Nov 06, 2014 4:46 pm

Updated with concepts of gameplay and moveset.
Back to top Go down
Perfect Hell

Perfect Hell

PostSubject: Re: Agnes Oblige (Bravely Default) Discussion    Agnes Oblige (Bravely Default) Discussion  EmptyThu Nov 06, 2014 6:24 pm

Nice presentation for the most part. As someone who never played the game (But i want to);
- Why this character over the other 3 main characters you mentioned? In your moveset you mention "when she joins your party" implying she's not the starting character. Is there a reason this character is superior to the other protagonists?
- Despite having lots of concepts of moveset possibilities, the moveset itself is surprisingly empty. Is there more to come?
- If certain moves like even smash attacks cost a BP to use, what happens if you try to up smash with 0 BP? An input like up smash can't just, not work. I'm guessing the move itself doesn't change regardless of BP, just damage/KB change? But if that's the case, how will the character's gameplay convey the meaning of the BP system to a new player without them being familiar with the source material? If i've never heard of this character before and i try them in Crusade for the first time, how will I know what BP does or how to acquire it?
Back to top Go down
Spoon300
Level 4 CPU

PostSubject: Re: Agnes Oblige (Bravely Default) Discussion    Agnes Oblige (Bravely Default) Discussion  EmptySat Nov 08, 2014 4:47 pm

The Perfect introduction to a relatively new series! Though the other Three may need a moveset eaches from you... Just Sayin'!
Back to top Go down
Naughty Ottsel
Level 5 CPU
Naughty Ottsel

Captain Falcon
  Vanillogic

PostSubject: Re: Agnes Oblige (Bravely Default) Discussion    Agnes Oblige (Bravely Default) Discussion  EmptySun Nov 09, 2014 12:52 pm

Spoon300 wrote:
The Perfect introduction to a relatively new series! Though the other Three may need a moveset eaches from you... Just Sayin'!

No! No, they really don't! One character from a new, mildly obscure title (with only one entry, mind you) is enough. Pakeli decided to propose this one, and presented impressively well. That's how you should suggest characters; stick with a few that have some legitimate reason to be included in Crusade, and put your own effort and thought into them. The quality of the characters' suggestions is vastly more important than how many you post. Being the person who posted the most suggestions isn't anything to be proud of if those suggestions have little to no thought put into them, and are just telling other people to put together the movesets and designs that you, as the original poster, should have come up with yourself.

And as far as Agnes Oblige goes, I support her, if only because of her potential for uniqueness and her representation of Square Enix.
Back to top Go down
TaXMaN
Level 6 CPU
TaXMaN

PAC-MAN

PostSubject: Re: Agnes Oblige (Bravely Default) Discussion    Agnes Oblige (Bravely Default) Discussion  EmptySun Nov 09, 2014 1:33 pm

Naughty Ottsel wrote:
No! No, they really don't! One character from a new, mildly obscure title (with only one entry, mind you) is enough. Pakeli decided to propose this one, and presented impressively well. That's how you should suggest characters; stick with a few that have some legitimate reason to be included in Crusade, and put your own effort and thought into them. The quality of the characters' suggestions is vastly more important than how many you post. Being the person who posted the most suggestions isn't anything to be proud of if those suggestions have little to no thought put into them, and are just telling other people to put together the movesets and designs that you, as the original poster, should have come up with yourself.
Well said!
Back to top Go down
Azure_Raven
Level 4 CPU

Mr. Game & Watch

PostSubject: Re: Agnes Oblige (Bravely Default) Discussion    Agnes Oblige (Bravely Default) Discussion  EmptySun Nov 09, 2014 4:35 pm

@Naughty Ottsel
Thank you for your compliment, and I agree with you: if you have a character suggestion, you AT LEAST have to put some thought into how you should present it.

@Perfect Hell
To answer your questions:
1) Agnes isn't the first character you play as, however you acquire her in the very beginning of the game before you actually fight. While Tiz, Ringabel and Edea are very important to the plot as well as Agnes, she plays the purpose for the other characters to join her on her quest (Tiz joins because he wants to know what happened to his hometown, Ringabel joins because of a diary that seems to foretell certain events, and Edea joins because she wants to know who is the real villain upon discovering that Agnes is not as evil as her country claims her to be). She also plays a large part on how to save their world as well as the purpose behind this (if I don't make any sense, please ask).
Also, she is the only character aside from Tiz to not only be confirmed for the sequel, but play a VERY large role in it.

2) The moveset is still in progress, I will plan to work on it as soon as I can.

3) The purpose of the BP system is to convey the importance of "turns" in the original game. For example, her up smash (as well as other attacks) have two types: charged and uncharged. If you tried to use an attack without any BP, it would be weaker than an attack that used a BP, which would be more stronger. The purpose of the BP is represent a turn, basically how much you could attack the opponent, thus allowing you to deal more damage to them. This is shown in my concept for her: if you tried using an attack with no BP, it would be less severe in terms of power and knockback compared to an attack that used a BP. The more BP you obtained through Default, the more times you could use a stronger attack against an opponent, which is to say how many times you could attack the opponent, as well the more damage you could deal to your opponent. In a nutshell, the more BP you have, the more chances you are given to finish off an opponent.
In terms of new players that aren't used to Agnes, it would probably take a while for them to understand how she play. I, myself, had gotten confused over Little Mac's power meter until I read about it in the forums. Her attacks could probably still be able to KO an opponent with no BP, but it would be easier to do so with BP.
Back to top Go down
Perfect Hell

Perfect Hell

PostSubject: Re: Agnes Oblige (Bravely Default) Discussion    Agnes Oblige (Bravely Default) Discussion  EmptySun Nov 09, 2014 4:42 pm

Little Mac is actually an example of how not to do things lol. I'd like a future demo to have his system conveyed properly. Same goes for Agnes, their should probably be SOMETHING conveying how the system works. Perhaps a BP counter on her HUD, with certain moves appropriately having "BP +1" or BP -1" appear over her head.
Back to top Go down
Azure_Raven
Level 4 CPU

Mr. Game & Watch

PostSubject: Re: Agnes Oblige (Bravely Default) Discussion    Agnes Oblige (Bravely Default) Discussion  EmptyFri Nov 14, 2014 6:14 pm

Updated movelist with some aerials, new specials and a Final Smash, as well as her taunt.

For those that are wondering where I got the summons from, please watch the first few minutes of the following video:
Back to top Go down
Azure_Raven
Level 4 CPU

Mr. Game & Watch

PostSubject: Re: Agnes Oblige (Bravely Default) Discussion    Agnes Oblige (Bravely Default) Discussion  EmptySat Nov 29, 2014 7:25 pm

Updated her movelist, now all that's left is her Intro and Win Pose, as well as possible revisions.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Agnes Oblige (Bravely Default) Discussion    Agnes Oblige (Bravely Default) Discussion  Empty

Back to top Go down

Agnes Oblige (Bravely Default) Discussion
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1