Cless Alvein/Cress Albane (Tales of Phantasia) Discussion

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Alexander

Alexander

Fox
  KingTremolo

Cless Alvein/Cress Albane (Tales of Phantasia) Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Cless Alvein/Cress Albane (Tales of Phantasia) Discussion   Cless Alvein/Cress Albane (Tales of Phantasia) Discussion EmptySun Aug 30, 2015 12:43 pm

Cless Alvein/Cress Albane (Tales of Phantasia) Discussion CleJEOr
Cless Alvein/Cress Albane (Tales of Phantasia) Discussion Cless-a
(Sprite made by me, with edits from Dustination, PA from psx game)

Cless Alvein is the main protaganst of the Snes classic, Tales of Phantasia.  The game came to to America via fan translations of the PSX (and soon to be PSP) and SNES versions, as well as an official localization of the GBA version.  Cless is iconic to the Tales of series, being the main character from the original game of the series.

The SNES version of the game had an interesting mechanic.  The user would equip long and short range moves.  I'll be incoorperating that in his moveset.

Down Special: Set Target
I have two ideas of how this could work.  The first is that it would cycle through opponents every time the button is pressed.  The second is that you would need to connect with an attack to set a target.
Once the target is set, Cless' specials will have long range and short range versions, depending on Cless' distance from the targeted characters.

Close Range Specials:
Up Special: Lightning Tiger Blade
Cless does an upward slash, hits the opponent with lightning, then does a downward slash.

Neutral Special: Guardian Field
Cless puts his sword in the ground and a circle of light appears on the floor around him.  Does repeated, low-percent damage(1-2%) to enemies as well as stunning them shortly.  The big con is pretty high start up lag.
Forward Special: Light Spear
Cless dashes forward, slashing enemies with his sword, all while leaving a trail of light behind him.  It doesn't leave an trail or go as far if done in the air.

Long Range Specials:
Up Special: Teleport
(I forget what the move is called in ToP)
Cless floats in the air for about a second, and then teleports in an imputed direction.  If a character gets in the way of the teleport, Cless will do a downward slash, gimping both himself and the character he hit.
Neutral Special: Demon Fang
Alternative: Cless stands still for a moment and heals himself.  High start and end lag.
Cless sends out a shockwave from his sword
Side Special: Hell Pyre
Cless jumps backward and throws his sword forward at a downward angle, as the sword rotates with a fire effect over it.  The angle of the sword can be adjusted to a small degree, taking advantage of analogue controls.

Side Smash: Beast
Cless attacks by slamming his shoulder into the opponent, with a blue boar special effect over it.  Look at Lloyd in SSF2.  If timed correctly, this can cancel into Cless' up tilt to bring the battle into the air, allowing for the move to combo rather than just being for knockback.
Up Smash: Upward Stab
Down Smash: Aegis Strike
Cless plants his sword into the ground (startup animation, this pose is held while charging the smash), then the blade of the sword lights up and creates a small blast right in front of him.  It would have a similar hitbox to Krystal's current side smash.
Down Aerial: Distortion Blade
Cless holds his sword out as he falls down, as a blue energy expansion to his sword emerges.  The blue energy blade expands the longer Cless falls.
Side Aerial: Rising Phoenix
(Similar to Lloyd's rising falcon, but cooler looking) Cless goes down at a 45 degree angle with his sword held the way he is facing.  On top of him there's a phoenix special effect.
Up Aerial: Tiger Blade
Cless does an upward slash.  If pressed again with proper timing, Cless follows with a downward slash.
Neutral Aerial

Down Tilt
Side Tilt

Up Tilt
Upward slash
Jab
Sword stab.
If pressed repeatedly and very quickly, Cless does sword rain.  If timed right, this can combo into the uptilt to make Sword Rain: Alpha.  (It would be neat to have "Sword Rain" and "Alpha" as separate sound clips to make it seem more legit.)
Running Attack
Running stab
Final Smash

I'll come back to this thread with more of the moveset filled out.

Last edited by Alexander on Mon May 16, 2016 6:42 pm; edited 9 times in total
Back to top Go down
Roy
Level 7 CPU
Roy

RoyMaster4

PostSubject: Re: Cless Alvein/Cress Albane (Tales of Phantasia) Discussion   Cless Alvein/Cress Albane (Tales of Phantasia) Discussion EmptySun Aug 30, 2015 2:09 pm

I've never played a Tales game, but this looks pretty cool. I'm not sure how much I like the target being a special... maybe it could just have 2 versions depending on if anyone is close to you, rather than a specific target? (Besides, who is targeted when the match is started? Does it mean he can't use specials until he targets?)

Also, I want to see his playstyle before I support. There is no shortage of sword users, so what makes this one unique (within his normal moves, not simply having double the number of specials).
Back to top Go down
Alexander

Alexander

Fox
  KingTremolo

PostSubject: Re: Cless Alvein/Cress Albane (Tales of Phantasia) Discussion   Cless Alvein/Cress Albane (Tales of Phantasia) Discussion EmptySun Aug 30, 2015 2:24 pm

Without anybody targeted, he'll default to his long range specials.  I considered the approach of having it work without a targeting special, but I think that would ultimately lead to a lack of control that I don't find very desirable.

I'm thinking of tilts and aerials, but most characters feel kinda samey in such regards (regardless of the presence or absence of a sword), which is a weakness in smash titles beyond Melee imo, and I'll attempt to avoid that.  

Something interesting in 1v1 one fights would be the ability to toggle long and short range specials (by toggling target on and off), which will open a realm of combo opportunities.
Back to top Go down
Smash King
Smash King
Smash King

EJ88201

PostSubject: Re: Cless Alvein/Cress Albane (Tales of Phantasia) Discussion   Cless Alvein/Cress Albane (Tales of Phantasia) Discussion EmptySun Aug 30, 2015 9:03 pm

I support Cless as the Tales Of character. I wouldn't mind Lloyd Irving either though. Either one I would be satisfied with. I think this is a franchise worth adding to the game
Back to top Go down
Braystar
Level 7 CPU
Braystar

Waluigi
  N/A

PostSubject: Re: Cless Alvein/Cress Albane (Tales of Phantasia) Discussion   Cless Alvein/Cress Albane (Tales of Phantasia) Discussion EmptyMon Aug 31, 2015 2:19 am

I have no idea about the Tales games, all I know about is Lloyd. Just barely. Even less with the Tales reps in Project X Zone. Sorry, I need a full moveset first
Back to top Go down
VultureDuck
Level 6 CPU
VultureDuck

PostSubject: Re: Cless Alvein/Cress Albane (Tales of Phantasia) Discussion   Cless Alvein/Cress Albane (Tales of Phantasia) Discussion EmptyMon Aug 31, 2015 6:08 am

I will support, looks interesting and looks fun to play as.
Back to top Go down
Alexander

Alexander

Fox
  KingTremolo

PostSubject: Re: Cless Alvein/Cress Albane (Tales of Phantasia) Discussion   Cless Alvein/Cress Albane (Tales of Phantasia) Discussion EmptyThu Sep 03, 2015 6:55 pm

Moveset updated, changed down smash, jab, and added a few tilts and an aerial attack.
Back to top Go down
JacobDaGun
Level 2 CPU
JacobDaGun

N/A

PostSubject: Re: Cless Alvein/Cress Albane (Tales of Phantasia) Discussion   Cless Alvein/Cress Albane (Tales of Phantasia) Discussion EmptyThu Sep 03, 2015 8:37 pm

I know nothing of this series, I still see this as pretty cool. Normally, I try to shy away from gimmicky characters, but I feel with a bit of work, this could go real smoothly.

One idea I had: Why not turn the Target into an attack of sorts (Unless that's what you meant?) that sets the target as whoever gets hit with it. Of course, hitting multiple opponents could be a tricky situation, so you'd have to set some sort of priority to that as well, perhaps whoever was closer, in those situations.
Think about this though: In a 1v1 "For Glory" kind of situation, you would rarely (if ever) need to switch targets. Something to consider.

The mechanic of distance, however is really good! I'll keep watching, and if it really goes somewhere, I'll support. Until then...I'll...do...something.
(I don't know how to end posts. ;-; )
Back to top Go down
Alexander

Alexander

Fox
  KingTremolo

PostSubject: Re: Cless Alvein/Cress Albane (Tales of Phantasia) Discussion   Cless Alvein/Cress Albane (Tales of Phantasia) Discussion EmptyThu Sep 03, 2015 8:56 pm

I have considered the target as an attack, but I feel it may work better as a toggle. If anybody has any more input, that would be great.

In a 1v1 "For Glory" the toggle can allow you to use long range moves at a close distance, creating interesting combo opportunities that wouldn't exist with more players.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cless Alvein/Cress Albane (Tales of Phantasia) Discussion   Cless Alvein/Cress Albane (Tales of Phantasia) Discussion Empty

Back to top Go down

Cless Alvein/Cress Albane (Tales of Phantasia) Discussion
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1