HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
domenicodeba
Level 1 CPU

Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion   Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion EmptySun Oct 12, 2014 7:58 am

The original Paper Mario was released in 2001 for Nintendo's N64. The games utilize 2D character cut-outs in 3D environments. The games are handled as if they were on a play stage, like the walls to a building falling down to let the player see inside. The games are RPG style, so Mario and his followers have a multitude of powers to use. Mario himself can use his hammer and jump attacks freely, and he also has a lot of special powers like the Star Powers from Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door. Like stated before, Mario also has many followers across all four games in the series, many of the followers include characters that would typically be considered "Bad Guys". Characters like Goombas, Koopas, Mice, Yoshis, Bob-ombs, and in the third game, Super Paper Mario, a new set of characters called "Pixls" that can alter Mario's abilities and the world in various ways.

Yes, Mario might be an overused character in the realm of Nintendo, but I haven't seen Paper Mario come into the Super Smash Bros. universe. Regular Mario and Paper Mario have different abilities and Paper Mario is well worth looking into.

Thanks Wink
Back to top Go down
SP

cellularSP

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion   Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion EmptySun Oct 12, 2014 8:02 am

I do agree that Paper Mario is different enough from Mario and Dr. Mario (moreso than Doc is different from Mario).
Back to top Go down
Dustination

Mach Rider
  Dustination

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion   Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion EmptySun Oct 12, 2014 10:42 am

I would appreciate it if you could begin naming your posts correctly.
Back to top Go down
https://projectcrusade.forumotion.com/
domenicodeba
Level 1 CPU

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion   Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion EmptySun Oct 12, 2014 10:55 am

Oh, I'm sorry. I thought the (Discussion) part of the title added on it's own when they were posted. Sorry . . .
Back to top Go down
Johnny64

Johnny64

Snake

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion   Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion EmptyMon Oct 13, 2014 12:22 am

Paper Mario is unique enough to deserve another rep, just like Toon Link is different enough from Link.
Needless to say, my support goes for Paper Mario
Back to top Go down
domenicodeba
Level 1 CPU

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion   Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion EmptyMon Oct 13, 2014 9:52 am

Awesome! Thanks! I honestly didn't think I would get this much support for Paper Mario. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Johnny64

Johnny64

Snake

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion   Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion EmptyMon Oct 13, 2014 7:14 pm

You'll get even more if you post stuff like how he's different to the Crusade Fighters, and how he would fit in, just sayin an advice.
Back to top Go down
Crimson Heights
Level 4 CPU

Hyperbeam Canon

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion   Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion EmptyThu Oct 16, 2014 6:50 pm

Shoot, he's made out of paper, that's something different, just like Mr G&W. Let's get him in as an alt to Mario. Better yet, if people don't like Mario, get a different character in from the Paper Mario Series.
Back to top Go down
Roy
Level 7 CPU
Roy

RoyMaster4

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion   Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion EmptyMon Jul 27, 2015 12:56 pm

Bumping up this old thread since I wanted to make a Paper Mario moveset.

Overall, Paper Mario will feel like an RPG character. His playstyle is more like a glass cannon - get in a strong hit, then wait and avoid/block the opponent's hit.

Passive ability: Overcharge
On any attacks that an charge, full charge actually does less damage and knockback than if you release just before full charge.

Passive ability 2: Stylish
On any attack that connects, pressing the attack button at the perfect time after the hit will cause Paper Mario (or his partner) to do some kind of trick. This trick could be a backflip, a small leap into the air with a pose, etc. Successfully performing this move will heal Paper Mario for 1-2%. It's not much, but every bit counts!

A: Hammer
A single hit from the hammer. No combo, just a nice hit.

Dash Attack: Spin
Paper Mario spins, which carries him forward a short distance before stopping suddenly. This initial dash has a decent amount of knockback. The spin continues after stopping for a short time, dealing rapid hits before ejecting.

Forward Tilt: Fan Smack
Lady Bow appears in front of Paper Mario, and proceeds to swing her fan a few times. While it doesn't have much knockback or damage, it is a very safe attack.

Up Tilt: Spiny Flip
Lakilester appears and throws a spiny egg upward, which he catches before it lands on the ground. Does a fair amount of damage and knockback, and is easily spammable.

Down Tilt: Shell Toss
Paper Mario makes a quick hop, and lands on either Kooper or Koops, sending him forward in shell form a short distance before returning. Does moderate damage but has almost no vertical range.

Forward Smash: Power Smash
Paper Mario takes his hammer, raises it up, and slams it down. Deals quite a bit of damage.

Up Smash: Fire Drive
Paper Mario slams his hammer down while engulfed in fire, causing pillars of flame to erupt moving forward. The pillars move further and higher with more charge. It's awkward to use initially, but once you're used to it, it's one of Paper Mario's most powerful attacks.

Down Smash: Ultra Hammer
Paper Mario takes his hammer, twists up, and releases, spinning around a few times. Comes out fast and stays out a while.

Neutral Aerial: Barry
A spined pixel appears for a brief time, while Paper Mario spins in place. A spike barrier appears around Paper Mario for the brief time he is spinning, knocking enemies away.

Forward Aerial: Hammer Slam
Paper Mario takes his hammer and slams it down in front of him. Simple attack, and functions as a meteor smash.

Up Aerial: Hammer Throw
Paper Mario throws his hammer in an arc above him. It does moderate damage and knockback. One of his more useful moves to force opponents to approach.

Backwards Aerial: Ice Smash
Paper Mario swings his ice-covered hammer behind him, freezing opponents hit while causing a large amount of damage.

Down Aerial: Thudley
A weight pixel appears for a brief time, and Paper Mario performs a ground pound. Fairly standard.

Grab: Thoreau
Paper Mario throws the pixel Thoreau, which returns after traveling a short distance, bringing any opponent hit to Paper Mario.

Pummel: Bump!
Paper Mario bonks the helpless opponent on the head with his hammer. How rude!

Forward Throw: Gale Force
Flurrie appears, and blows away the opponent! Has a great amount of push, but deals no damage.

Up Throw: Squirt
Sushi appears! Paper Mario tosses the opponent up a small amount, while Sushi fires water at the airborne opponent, launching him/her into the air.

Back Throw: Shade Fist
Vivian appears in front of the opponent, and lets loose a fiery punch, sending the opponent flying behind Paper Mario. The opponent takes a bit of burn damage for a few seconds afterwards.

Down Throw: Power Shock
Watt appears, electrocuting the opponent for rapid damage hits. The opponent is briefly paralyzed, allowing Paper Mario to get a follow up attack.

Neutral Special: Paper Mode
Paper Mario turns sideways. While in this form, he is impervious to all attacks! It takes a second to deploy though, so it's not as instant as a counter move. It also can't be held down forever - a bar near his life guage ticks down while he holds it, and if it reaches the bottom, he takes a good chunk of damage and reverts back.

Side Special: Bomb
Mario tosses wither Bombette or Bobbery, who walks forward a bit as soon as he/she lands on the ground. After a brief time period, he/she explodes, doing massive damage and knockback.

Up Special: Air Lift
Parkarry appears, with Paper Mario grabbing on and Parkarry taking flight. It doesn't have much vertical distance, but lasts enough time to travel a good distance horizontally. In addition, Paper Mario can get out of it at any time without going into helpless mode.

Down Special: Tattle
Either Goombario or Goombella appears (random which one), and a target appears on the nearest opponent within range. A smaller target moves towards that larger target - press B at the right time, and SUCCESS! appears, and Goombario/Goombella talks a bit while Paper Mario is now free to act. For the next ~20 seconds, Paper Mario has increased damage and knockback against that opponent.

Taunt 1: Looks towards the camera and gives a thumbs up!

Taunt 2: The Piccolo pixel appears and plays a brief tune.

Taunt 3: Ms. Mowz appears behind Paper Mario and gives him a kiss.

Victory Pose: Tips his hat, then runs off screen.

Final Smash: Earth Tremor
Paper Mario jumps onto a large crystal star. By timing button presses to the prompt on screen, the crystal star gets bigger and bigger. After 6 sequences (or 1 missed sequence), it starts slamming into the ground, causing large shockwaves that deal massive damage and knockback. It then dissapears and Paper Mario lands back on the ground.

Supporters: 11
domenicodeba
Johnny64
Roy
danick
OmegaSteve777
Shiruza
Lego Shaq
Crimson Heights
armatage
Mellon
TaXMaN

Last edited by Roy on Tue Aug 25, 2015 3:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
TrinitroMan
Level 7 CPU
TrinitroMan

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion   Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion EmptyMon Jul 27, 2015 1:46 pm

Roy wrote:
Passive abilitiy: Jumpman
Paper Mario's footstools do damage!
I'm sorry, but that's an awful idea, even for a glass cannon.
Damaging footstools were already annoying in Brawl Minus (hello, Mario), and they wont be less annoying in this game.
Back to top Go down
Roy
Level 7 CPU
Roy

RoyMaster4

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion   Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion EmptyMon Jul 27, 2015 1:54 pm

TrinitroMan wrote:
Roy wrote:
Passive abilitiy: Jumpman
Paper Mario's footstools do damage!
I'm sorry, but that's an awful idea, even for a glass cannon.
Damaging footstools were already annoying in Brawl Minus (hello, Mario), and they wont be less annoying in this game.
Eh, fine.. couldn't think of anything else to represent jump attacks. I guess he doesn't need it.
Back to top Go down
danick
Level 4 CPU

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion   Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion EmptyMon Jul 27, 2015 2:08 pm

I support
Back to top Go down
Dustination

Mach Rider
  Dustination

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion   Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion EmptyMon Jul 27, 2015 2:08 pm

If footstooling interrupts a character's movement anyway I don't see the issue in having it do a couple percents of damage. Obviously it wouldn't be doing 16%.

It would be different if footstooling didn't exist and this was a character specific thing.

I like the moveset Roy.
Back to top Go down
OmegaSteve777
Level 8 CPU
OmegaSteve777

Gooey

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion   Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion EmptyTue Jul 28, 2015 11:44 am

I support
Back to top Go down
Shiruza
Level 5 CPU
Shiruza

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion   Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion EmptyTue Jul 28, 2015 11:16 pm

Support.
Back to top Go down
Lego Shaq

Lego Shaq

Geno

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion   Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion EmptySun Aug 02, 2015 8:53 am

YES. PLEASE. Especially with Roy's moveset. I want Paper Mario so bad for Smash in general, and Crusade really seems like it'd be perfect for him.

The only Mario reps we need now are Daisy and Birdo, if I'm thinking correctly, and I think Paper Mario, having four games of his own, being with Nintendo since the 90's, widely loved, and so much more, really needs to be in Crusade.
Back to top Go down
OmegaSteve777
Level 8 CPU
OmegaSteve777

Gooey

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion   Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion EmptySun Aug 02, 2015 1:32 pm

Replace Birdo with Bowser Jr. then I agree with Shaq
Back to top Go down
Smash King
Smash King
Smash King

EJ88201

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion   Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion EmptySun Aug 02, 2015 1:56 pm

I would say something against Birdo and Daisy, but that is for a different topic.

I think Paper Mario can work. Lucky for us, Crusade is able to have alternate characters with different movesets when you look at Luigi/Weegee, Pikachu/Pichu, etc.

Though, with Dr. Mario still a contender against Paper Mario, do you guys prefer one over the other or wish to have them both?
Back to top Go down
OmegaSteve777
Level 8 CPU
OmegaSteve777

Gooey

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion   Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion EmptySun Aug 02, 2015 1:59 pm

I'd much rather have just Paper Mario, I feel like we should spend time on someone that isn't Dr. Mario
Back to top Go down
Roy
Level 7 CPU
Roy

RoyMaster4

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion   Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion EmptySun Aug 02, 2015 3:40 pm

Smash King wrote:
Though, with Dr. Mario still a contender against Paper Mario, do you guys prefer one over the other or wish to have them both?
I feel like Paper Mario is a more unique rep while representing a more popular sub-series and having more potential as far as moveset goes. We could have both, but what does Dr. Mario bring to Crusade?
Back to top Go down
OmegaSteve777
Level 8 CPU
OmegaSteve777

Gooey

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion   Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion EmptySun Aug 02, 2015 3:41 pm

He shoots pills at his enemies

I don't know if that's good enough, but it is a reason.
Back to top Go down
Smash King
Smash King
Smash King

EJ88201

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion   Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion EmptySun Aug 02, 2015 4:21 pm

Thing is Dr. Mario doesn't have to be anything resembling his official playstyle from the Smash games. So uniqueness is still possible with him if we try to put together something to help him out.

Honestly, besides Mario Kart, the Paper Mario series is really the only consistent Mario spin-off that is actually highly popular. The rest of the spin-off series like the Mario Sports, RPG, Party, etc. don't get as much success as the Kart and Paper series.
Back to top Go down
Lego Shaq

Lego Shaq

Geno

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion   Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion EmptyMon Aug 03, 2015 6:31 pm

Smash King wrote:

I would say something against Birdo and Daisy, but that is for a different topic.

I think Paper Mario can work. Lucky for us, Crusade is able to have alternate characters with different movesets when you look at Luigi/Weegee, Pikachu/Pichu, etc.

OmegaSteve777 wrote:
Replace Birdo with Bowser Jr. then I agree with Shaq

Steve you're totally right, I forgot about Jr. Dunno how seeing as I main him

King, I would really prefer Paper Mario over Doc for a variety of reasons, despite me also maining Doc..

-Paper Mario represents a very well loved and highly regarded subseries that is known for it's very unique artstyle and gameplay.

-Paper Mario is actually still very relevant. He has a game coming very soon. While Doc is also, his random 3DS game wasn't advertised at all, except in a Direct.

-Paper Mario is infinitely more unique then Doc moveset-wise.

Those are just some. Also, I think Paper Mario is deserving of his own character slot, even if he shares a name with Mario. Why not make Dr. Mario the Mario alt?

Really, I'll just be surprised if Paper Mario isn't in. He's been suggested for a long time.
Back to top Go down
Crimson Heights
Level 4 CPU

Hyperbeam Canon

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion   Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion EmptyTue Aug 04, 2015 2:35 pm

I hope Paper Mario makes it in. I just finished playing Paper Mario on my N64. Nothing beats the originals. Not even interested in playing the sequels, unfortunately for my picky mind.
Back to top Go down
Lego Shaq

Lego Shaq

Geno

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion   Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion EmptyTue Aug 04, 2015 3:22 pm

Crimson Heights wrote:
I hope Paper Mario makes it in. I just finished playing Paper Mario on my N64. Nothing beats the originals. Not even interested in playing the sequels, unfortunately for my picky mind.

The Thousand Year Door is literally my favorite game of all time. I love the original to death but TTYD improves on it in every way.

Please play TTYD.
Back to top Go down
Dustination

Mach Rider
  Dustination

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion   Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion EmptyTue Aug 04, 2015 3:30 pm

Lego Shaq wrote:
Crimson Heights wrote:

The Thousand Year Door is literally my favorite game of all time. I love the original to death but TTYD improves on it in every way.

Please play TTYD.

This, please, TTYD is the best Paper Mario game.
Back to top Go down
armatage
Level 3 CPU
armatage

[i]N/A[/i]

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion   Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion EmptySun Aug 09, 2015 12:21 am

In all honesty, maybe we should give the lovechild of MR G&W and Mario some time in the sun, as opposed to another shot given to medical fraud over there.
Back to top Go down
Mellon
Level 5 CPU
Mellon

mellon1111

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion   Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion EmptySun Aug 09, 2015 10:32 am

I feel like the Pixls could be used in a way similar to Shulk's Monado, but always having one active instead of temporarily lowering other stats.. By using a new Down Special, Paper Mario could be able to choose between a select number of Pixls to improve his stats.

Tippi (Default): Decreases the startup and endlag of some moves very slightly
Thoreau: Increases grab range and gives Paper Mario a Zair
Slim: Makes dodging and rolling easier
Carrie: Increases jump height slightly and cancels out attacks from below
Cudge: Makes his Smash attakcs much more powerful
Dashell: Increases running speed

And even though Sticker Star wasn't the best game ever made, I still feel like we should represent it a bit more in his moveset. I still support this, though.
Back to top Go down
Roy
Level 7 CPU
Roy

RoyMaster4

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion   Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion EmptySun Aug 09, 2015 11:00 am

I don't like the idea of changing between Pixls... if anything, we'd change between partners but that'd make the moveset really complicated. Why can't we just represent pixls by just having them appear momentarily while performing certain actions? For example, Dashell appears while running, and Carrie helps him double jump.

Eh... does Sticker Star even have anything unique? We could make a large fan in the background a final smash, I guess...
Back to top Go down
TaXMaN
Level 6 CPU
TaXMaN

PAC-MAN

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion   Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion EmptySun Aug 09, 2015 12:05 pm

Support, as long as Paper Mario is an alt.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion   Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion Empty

Back to top Go down

Paper Mario (Paper Mario) Discussion
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next