Masked Man (EarthBound) Discussion: I'm gonna get so strong even Dragos won't stand a chance against me! - Page 2 BklTYr4

Project Crusade Community

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Masked Man (EarthBound) Discussion: I'm gonna get so strong even Dragos won't stand a chance against me!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Naughty Ottsel
Level 5 CPU
Naughty Ottsel

Captain Falcon
  Vanillogic

Masked Man (EarthBound) Discussion: I'm gonna get so strong even Dragos won't stand a chance against me! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Masked Man (EarthBound) Discussion: I'm gonna get so strong even Dragos won't stand a chance against me!   Masked Man (EarthBound) Discussion: I'm gonna get so strong even Dragos won't stand a chance against me! - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 14, 2016 8:59 pm

Caring about something does not equal having time for it. Besides, just because there are other games higher in priority on my backlog doesn't mean I didn't care about Mother 3.

I'd disagree. The whole reason spoilers are a bad thing is because they make you know, and thus expect, a crucial moment or reveal in a story. Without the spoiler, the moment or reveal has the potential to hit you like a ton of bricks. With the spoiler, you see it coming, and the moment itself loses that impact, because it's also lost the element of surprise. Or, in the case of stories that set up their reveals very well, without the spoiler you can slowly piece together the truth on your own, and suspect it for yourself as you move through the story. When the moment arrives, you either get a very satisfying feeling of being right, or a shock as the real reveal comes out of left field and is completely different what you expected. With both, having the moment spoiled means you get neither the moment of surprise nor the moment of prolonged suspicion, leading to a pay-off moment.

I will admit the insult was uncalled for. I apologize. I was salty.
I still don't support, though.
Back to top Go down
Lego Shaq

Lego Shaq

Geno

Masked Man (EarthBound) Discussion: I'm gonna get so strong even Dragos won't stand a chance against me! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Masked Man (EarthBound) Discussion: I'm gonna get so strong even Dragos won't stand a chance against me!   Masked Man (EarthBound) Discussion: I'm gonna get so strong even Dragos won't stand a chance against me! - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 15, 2016 1:26 pm

Naughty Ottsel wrote:
Caring about something does not equal having time for it. Besides, just because there are other games higher in priority on my backlog doesn't mean I didn't care about Mother 3.

I'd disagree. The whole reason spoilers are a bad thing is because they make you know, and thus expect, a crucial moment or reveal in a story. Without the spoiler, the moment or reveal has the potential to hit you like a ton of bricks. With the spoiler, you see it coming, and the moment itself loses that impact, because it's also lost the element of surprise. Or, in the case of stories that set up their reveals very well, without the spoiler you can slowly piece together the truth on your own, and suspect it for yourself as you move through the story. When the moment arrives, you either get a very satisfying feeling of being right, or a shock as the real reveal comes out of left field and is completely different what you expected. With both, having the moment spoiled means you get neither the moment of surprise nor the moment of prolonged suspicion, leading to a pay-off moment.

I will admit the insult was uncalled for. I apologize. I was salty.
I still don't support, though.
You made this whole drawn-out issue for something you don't even support?

I'm not apologizing for "spoiling" a twist of a popular 10 year old game where said twist is not only kinda predictable but well-known.
Back to top Go down
Naughty Ottsel
Level 5 CPU
Naughty Ottsel

Captain Falcon
  Vanillogic

PostSubject: Re: Masked Man (EarthBound) Discussion: I'm gonna get so strong even Dragos won't stand a chance against me!   Masked Man (EarthBound) Discussion: I'm gonna get so strong even Dragos won't stand a chance against me! - Page 2 EmptyFri Jan 15, 2016 9:12 pm

The issue isn't so much over the suggestion as it is the spoiler, but point taken.

Why would you apologize? You weren't the one that spoiled it. Though, I'm inferring that you'd have no qualms with doing so, despite what a bastard thing it is to spoil something, regardless of how 'well-known' the thing you're spoiling is. Poor show, Shaq.
But, in any case, spoilers being the bane of existence or a minor thing people shouldn't care about, I don't really want to keep this going. Can we just leave it at some people hate spoilers and some people don't give a shit, and both have their reasons, and move on with the character suggesting?
Back to top Go down
Ajtkg
Level 2 CPU
Ajtkg

Mega Man

PostSubject: Re: Masked Man (EarthBound) Discussion: I'm gonna get so strong even Dragos won't stand a chance against me!   Masked Man (EarthBound) Discussion: I'm gonna get so strong even Dragos won't stand a chance against me! - Page 2 EmptyTue Dec 05, 2017 2:35 pm

Not to bad support
Back to top Go down
Ninten DS™
Level 1 CPU
Ninten DS™

Porky

PostSubject: Re: Masked Man (EarthBound) Discussion: I'm gonna get so strong even Dragos won't stand a chance against me!   Masked Man (EarthBound) Discussion: I'm gonna get so strong even Dragos won't stand a chance against me! - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 27, 2018 1:13 pm

Masked Man is an interesting character for sure, but I believe having Ness, Lucas and Porky in Crusade is enough, and at much, Ninten should be the next rep.
Masked Man's story is sad for sure, but I don't really like his personality at all, he's just a robot that serves whatever Porky wants for him, he's a brainless little boy. Porky himself is enough to represent Earthbound along with Ness and Lucas, considering that the whole reason for Masked Man to exist is Porky. It would be interesting to see Masked Man, but I'm not supporting him, he isn't that important at all as to deserve a playable appearance in Crusade.
Back to top Go down
Athorment

Athorment

Ganondorf
  Athorment

PostSubject: Re: Masked Man (EarthBound) Discussion: I'm gonna get so strong even Dragos won't stand a chance against me!   Masked Man (EarthBound) Discussion: I'm gonna get so strong even Dragos won't stand a chance against me! - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 30, 2018 9:18 am

Ninten DS™ wrote:
Masked Man is an interesting character for sure, but I believe having Ness, Lucas and Porky in Crusade is enough, and at much, Ninten should be the next rep.

Why would you want an Echo Fighter to represent Mother 1 (Earthbound Origins) ? Kappa aside, Masked Man has much more potential than Ninten cause he isnt just another PSI-Kid. Dude has an arm canon, a sword, winged-jetpack, etc.

Ninten DS™ wrote:
Masked Man's story is sad for sure, but I don't really like his personality at all, he's just a robot that serves whatever Porky wants for him, he's a brainless little boy.

not liking a personality is irrelevant as to whether or not a character deserves to be in. Either way I doubt Sakurai or the Crusade team would be interested in keeping him as-is when even retro characters with absolute no personality still were given some (Wii Fit Trainer, Duck Hunt, Ice Climbers, etc.)

Ninten DS™ wrote:
It would be interesting to see Masked Man, but I'm not supporting him, he isn't that important at all as to deserve a playable appearance in Crusade.

He is one of the most memorable almost-final bosses in gaming. Period
Back to top Go down
http://athorment.deviantart.com/
Ninten DS™
Level 1 CPU
Ninten DS™

Porky

PostSubject: Re: Masked Man (EarthBound) Discussion: I'm gonna get so strong even Dragos won't stand a chance against me!   Masked Man (EarthBound) Discussion: I'm gonna get so strong even Dragos won't stand a chance against me! - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 30, 2018 11:29 am

Athorment wrote:
Why would you want an Echo Fighter to represent Mother 1 (Earthbound Origins) ? Kappa aside, Masked Man has much more potential than Ninten cause he isnt just another PSI-Kid. Dude has an arm canon, a sword, winged-jetpack, etc.

Masked Man indeed has a lot more potential than Ninten, but all Earthbound deserves in any Smash game, if possible is a representation for each game, with Porky representing the dark side of both Earthbound and Mother 3.

Athorment wrote:
not liking a personality is irrelevant as to whether or not a character deserves to be in. Either way I doubt Sakurai or the Crusade team would be interested in keeping him as-is when even retro characters with absolute no personality still were given some (Wii Fit Trainer, Duck Hunt, Ice Climbers, etc.)

That was just my opinion on the character, not an argument or anything, sorry for not specifying that, but still, he has no personality and will never have since in the game it's shown that he doesn't have one at all, he's just a cyborg, while Duck Hunt, Wii Fit Trainer and Ice Climbers didn't show any kind of personality at all implying that they didn't were given one, while Masked Man was. Also, I may not like his personality, but I like him as a character: his design and combat style really fascinates me, he's truly unique when compared to the rest of the protagonists of the series.

Athorment wrote:
He is one of the most memorable almost-final bosses in gaming. Period

He may be memorable, but not as relevant as the rest of the current cast just as I said in my previous post: he exists because of Porky. After all Crusade is a fan-game that has some weird inclusions, so I'd be down for Masked Man to be included before Ninten, he would be one of my mains.
Back to top Go down
Athorment

Athorment

Ganondorf
  Athorment

PostSubject: Re: Masked Man (EarthBound) Discussion: I'm gonna get so strong even Dragos won't stand a chance against me!   Masked Man (EarthBound) Discussion: I'm gonna get so strong even Dragos won't stand a chance against me! - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 05, 2018 10:29 am

Ninten DS™ wrote:
All Earthbound deserves in any Smash game, if possible is a representation for each game

That's a Myth. Why should all Earthbound games be represented first when there's more interesting (and popular) characters available? Would this very same apply to a series like Pokemon or Fire Emblem? All Pokemon Gens and Fire Emblem games deserve representation? They are bigger than Mother so they certainly deserve a pokemon/FE newcomer over an earthbound one

Ninten DS™ wrote:
He has no personality and will never have since in the game it's shown that he doesn't have one at all, he's just a cyborg, while Duck Hunt, Wii Fit Trainer and Ice Climbers didn't show any kind of personality at all implying that they didn't were given one

Cyborgs have personality, and given he does display some humanity at the end on his battle against Lucas, i would say that he would have as much personality as Wii Fit Trainer (Who is literally given none on purpose because she's just an avatar of a digital instructor. She's an instruction booklet-Robot)
Back to top Go down
http://athorment.deviantart.com/
Ninten DS™
Level 1 CPU
Ninten DS™

Porky

PostSubject: Re: Masked Man (EarthBound) Discussion: I'm gonna get so strong even Dragos won't stand a chance against me!   Masked Man (EarthBound) Discussion: I'm gonna get so strong even Dragos won't stand a chance against me! - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 05, 2018 2:29 pm

Athorment wrote:
That's a Myth. Why should all Earthbound games be represented first when there's more interesting (and popular) characters available? Would this very same apply to a series like Pokemon or Fire Emblem? All Pokemon Gens and Fire Emblem games deserve representation? They are bigger than Mother so they certainly deserve a pokemon/FE newcomer over an earthbound one

First, possible means something, and by that I don't mean he TRULY needs to be in I'm only talking about Earthbound rep, which of course is an "obscure" franchise, and of course others games deserve more reps before Earthbound, Earthbound is a part of Nintendo's history, but now it's just the past, so it doesn't deserve much at the moment, but it could get some more attention in the future.  I have to say I don't know ANYTHING about Pokemon or Fire Emblem, I was never interested in those, but I guess that if it's a heck lot of reps for all of that then I guess there shouldn't be that much representation in my opinion.

Athorment wrote:
Cyborgs have personality, and given he does display some humanity at the end on his battle against Lucas, i would say that he would have as much personality as Wii Fit Trainer (Who is literally given none on purpose because she's just an avatar of a digital instructor. She's an instruction booklet-Robot)

I kinda see it, but as you say it's at the end when fighting him and it's mainly due to Hinawa's presence in the fight, since for the rest of the game he just simply follows Porky's orders, and nothing more, and as the Magypsies say in the game, it seems that he isn't bad or good either. After all I've changed my mind, and I think personality doesn't matter at all, but I still believe he isn't as important as Ninten (who could actually be an unique fighter tho), but remember, I said Crusade has silly and popular additions so I wouldn't be mad over Masked Man, and repeating myself once again, I'd really like him!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Masked Man (EarthBound) Discussion: I'm gonna get so strong even Dragos won't stand a chance against me!   Masked Man (EarthBound) Discussion: I'm gonna get so strong even Dragos won't stand a chance against me! - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Masked Man (EarthBound) Discussion: I'm gonna get so strong even Dragos won't stand a chance against me!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2