Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
desu
Level 6 CPU
desu

Yoshi
  fanyoshixD

Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion   Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion EmptySun Oct 12, 2014 8:32 am

Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion Ninten

Ninten's first and only debut was in the first game of Mother, released in 1989, he can use some items in battle like baseball bats, boomerangs or slingshots.

Ninten compared to Ness or Lucas, hasn't offensive PSI but he has a good variety of defensive PSI that can be used in battle. Ninten's exclusive ability is 4th-D Slip, which lets himself and his party escape almost any battle. Other PSI abilities are DefenseDown, DefenseUp, Hypnosis, OffenseUp, PowerShield, PSI Shield and QuickUp. Ninten can do a PK Beam with the help of Ana too, as he uses it on Mother 1+2 commercial.

Why should Ninten be in?
Because I think he has potential for a defensive moveset, and with the recent release of Earthbound Beginning in the E-shop I think Earthbound deserves another rep, of course there is more characters that are much important than Ninten and that deserve more to be in Crusade. But if you're searching a character with defensive PSI, then this is the perfect choice.

Why Ninten over other Mother/Earthbound character?
Because one of the main things of the series is the PSI powers. Yes, there is more characters in the Mother/EB series that can use PSI, but Ninten could bring to the game a style of defensive PSI and there would be more defensive characters in the game, not to mention he is the main character of the first game and the one who started it all.

What would his PSI Shape look like?
I think it would be like a rhombus or a triangle, since Ness uses circles and Lucas hexagons.

What would his Weight be, how fast is he, what about his falling speed, can he Wall Jump? can he Crawl? [NEW!!]
He is a Light Character, Lighter than Ness and Lucas but heavier than Peach following Smash 3DS/Wii U Weight Ranking (I don't know Crusade's), he is faster than Ness but slower than Lucas following Smash 3DS/Wii U Speed Ranking, his falling speed is faster than Ness' but slower than Lucas' in Crusade. He can Wall Jump but he can't crawl.

What could he bring to Crusade, how is his fighting style?
In Crusade he could be a Ness alt and use a set of items for his moveset, that could help him in battle has he doesn't have any offensive PSI at all. He could use some defensive PSI in his special moves that help him to be a better fighter. So the moveset I imagined would be something like this:

Note: With PSI powers/effect, i mean some PSI effects like Ness or Lucas' in the forward air

Entrance: [NEW!!]
Enters in the stage while rotating in circles while falling in the stage, resembling Teleport β or the Photo Guy from Earthbound.

Jab Combo:
Swing his arms two times with PSI effects and then does a kick without PSI

Side Tilt: Boomerang
Pulls out a boomerang that has bad distance but compared to link or toon link's it can multiple hits and can be used to get the enemy and do another attack. You can't control the direction of it

Up Tilt:
Swing his arm upwards only one time and its a quick attack.

Down Tilt: Rope
Uses a rope for attack, it paralyzes the enemy for a little amount of time

Side Smash: Slingshot
Pulls out his slingshot and launchs a rock.

Up Smash:
Looking at the camera, holds his hands on the ground and does a upward kick

Down Smash:
Holds his hands on the ground and does a kick with two legs at both sides, similar to Rayman's down smash

Dash Attack:
Pulls out his bat and does a up to down attack with it

Neutral Air:
Same as Ness in Super Smash Bros. for N64

Forward Air:
Ninten pushes his hands to the side, creating a shield that can reflect projectiles and protect Ninten from attacks, if someone is caught while doing the shield they'll recive damage.

Back Air:
Swings his arm back and then does a kick with PSI powers

Up Air:
Does a upward kick with a somersault looking at the camera.

Down Air:
Looking at the camera, punches down with the palm of his hands, using PSI powers too.

Pummel:
A kick with PSI powers

Forward Throw:
Punchs the enemy 1 time without PSI powers and the second time with PSI powers that paralyzes the enemy, then Ninten kicks the enemy.

Back Throw:
Throws the opponent backwards, kicks him and uses the slingshot for hit him

Up Throw:
Throws the opponent upwards and uses QuickUp to jump and hit him

Down Throw:
Throws the enemy down and kicks him with PSI powers

Neutral B: Defense Down
Throws a beam that reduces the enemy's defense, in other words, this attack lows enemy's stamina so the opponent is easier to kill, the stamina effect last 15 seconds and theres also a special effect that tells you when you are affected and when the move ends.
This beam is quite slow, so it is easy to dodge and can also be charged, more you charge it more far and fast it will go, and this beam can go trough opponents so it can affect all of them.

Side B: QuickUp
Ninten does a quick dash, if you hit B again, he will quickly use hypnosis to put the enemy to sleep if the attack hits the enemy. It can be cancelled with any attack or jump, so it can lead to make some combos too. On the other hand, it can help Ninten to recover.

Up B: Teleport [UPDATED!!]
This is a quite fun move to use, it has 2 parts. Ninten will charge energy to do Quick Up and then he'll run in the air in the direction you press, if you charge it to max he will run so fast he'll open a Teleport, then the teleport will dissapear and another teleport will appear in the direction you press, and Ninten will run out it, falling in a helpless state. If Ninten crashes with a wall, he will get burn and fall in a helpless state. It is a good kill move if the opponent(s) is (or are) caught while Ninten is running, the more you charged the move, the more damage it will make, however if you didn't charge the move at all and Ninten crashes with someone, he'll get burn and fall helpless, as a reference to crashing with people in Mother 1/2.

Down B: PowerShield
Ninten creates a shield that can protect him from hits and reflects projectiles. The shield doesn't protect him forever if you kept pressing the b button, it disappears in 5 seconds.

Final Smash: PK Beam [UPDATED!!]
Ana uses Teleport and appears in the stage, then Ninten uses 4th-D Slip to escape of the stage, and then they appear in the background (similar to Snake's final smash),  and they both do a PK Beam that does 40% damage. After the move they both appear back in the stage and Ninten waves is hand like if he was saying ''Thanks'' to Ana as she leaves of the stage using Teleport.

Taunt: Touch the Eight Melodies
Ninten pulls out his ocarina and plays the first 5 seconds of Eight melodies song, if you keep pressing the taunt button, and he plays the entire song, then Ninten heals 100% damage (easter egg).
Oh and if your asking, this is the song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DODw3jbNc00

Win: Asthma Splay [NEW!!]
Ninten pulls out an Asthma Splay and takes it, then smiles to the camera and does a ''Ok'' sign with his hand.

Ness_64's Moveset:

About the design he could use, I thought he could use his design from the clay model, just with a headkerchief, for make him more different than Ness, he can also use 2 blue stripes and 1 yellow stripe, so that way he can have the colours from the Mother 1+2 commercial too.
Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion MxSf77x

Support list (15 currently):

desu
HypeConduit
Johnny64
Alucard
Crimson Heights
Moats
CJ
OmegaSteve777
Shiruza
Dallaz
Ness_64
SS_Maeweather
Nintensis
Braystar
Athorment (only supports as an alt)

Not 100 Confirmed supporters:
Geno Boost
KingTremolo
They might confirm their support or not.

Last edited by desu on Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:20 am; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
Alucard
Level 3 CPU
Alucard

PostSubject: Re: Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion   Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion EmptyWed Oct 15, 2014 4:12 pm

Ninten for a Ness alt is a great idea ... but his sprites should also look different than just a color change.
Back to top Go down
Dry

PostSubject: Re: Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion   Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion EmptyThu Oct 16, 2014 12:39 am

Whatever else comes from this moveset, he definitely cannot be a Ness alt. He is a completely different person from Ness, and in some canons he's actually Ness' father.
Back to top Go down
Slissith

Slissith

( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)

PostSubject: Re: Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion   Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion EmptyThu Oct 16, 2014 5:21 am

I definetely like the moveset so far, although Ninten doesn't have my support quite yet. Nice thread anyway.
Back to top Go down
HypeConduit
Level 6 CPU
HypeConduit

Klonoa
  XMister_RatburnX

PostSubject: Re: Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion   Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion EmptyThu Oct 16, 2014 9:57 am

After thorough read of this, I support Ninten. He'd really bring something new to the field, and this moveset you made sounds extremely fun to use.
Back to top Go down
Johnny64

Johnny64

Snake

PostSubject: Re: Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion   Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion EmptyThu Oct 16, 2014 11:18 am

This is defenetively an interesting character, and he's different enought to take a character slot.
Supporting Ninten
Back to top Go down
Dry

PostSubject: Re: Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion   Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion EmptyThu Oct 16, 2014 11:34 am

My reservation with Ninten is that he looks too much like Ness. People might be annoyed if he got on the roster and their beloved character didn't. People might be confused; we're talking about a fanbase to whom we had to carefully explain that Gooey was not in fact Slime. It's the only flaw, but I think it's an extremely major flaw, and unfortunately, some otherwise great characters are bad roster choices for a single, unavoidable reason.
Back to top Go down
Alucard
Level 3 CPU
Alucard

PostSubject: Re: Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion   Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion EmptyThu Oct 16, 2014 2:11 pm

But why he can be an alt for ness like veegee for luigi or like zero suit samus for samus ?
I mean samus/zero suit samus are two different characters which shares one slot together.
Back to top Go down
desu
Level 6 CPU
desu

Yoshi
  fanyoshixD

PostSubject: Re: Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion   Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion EmptyThu Oct 16, 2014 2:20 pm

Dry wrote:
My reservation with Ninten is that he looks too much like Ness. People might be annoyed if he got on the roster and their beloved character didn't. People might be confused; we're talking about a fanbase to whom we had to carefully explain that Gooey was not in fact Slime. It's the only flaw, but I think it's an extremely major flaw, and unfortunately, some otherwise great characters are bad roster choices for a single, unavoidable reason.

Ikr, this is why I prefer Ninten to be an alt for Ness, even if they are different persons, much more because the 3 of the main characters of Earthbound/Mother 2 were made to look similar to the 3 main characters of Mother 1, and Earthbound is the sequel of Mother 1 (even the japonese title says Giygs strikes back) while Mother 3 is a different story...

Anyway, I updated the main thread with all the basic moves, I might change some of them as well except for the specials.
Back to top Go down
Dry

PostSubject: Re: Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion   Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion EmptyThu Oct 16, 2014 2:38 pm

He definitely can't be an alt. He's an entirely different person, and it is 100% confirmed that he is an entirely different person.

Weegee is a meme that came from one of Luigi's appearances. He is, to all extents and purposes, Luigi.
Zelda and Sheik are the same person.
Samus and ZSS are the same person.
Ryu and Evil Ryu are the same person.
Pichu evolves into Pikachu, and even then it's a very loose and debated alt.
Back to top Go down
Alucard
Level 3 CPU
Alucard

PostSubject: Re: Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion   Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion EmptyFri Oct 17, 2014 5:58 pm

The solution to put him in to smash bros. crusade is that he could be an alt for Ness.
The reason for that is that he have optical similarities with Ness.
If we dont mind about the thing that he is an entirely different person than this could work.
Pichu evolves into Pikachu likewise he is the protagonist of the first mother/earthbound and Ness the second one, maybe this could be also the exception.
Im really for it !!! But its all in the hands of the dev team Smile
Back to top Go down
Crimson Heights
Level 4 CPU

Hyperbeam Canon

PostSubject: Re: Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion   Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion EmptyFri Oct 17, 2014 7:49 pm

So he's the father and look-alike of Ness, with a different moveset, that's an alt to Ness. Do eit!!
Back to top Go down
CyberFox
Level 2 CPU

PostSubject: Re: Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion   Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion EmptyFri Oct 17, 2014 7:51 pm

Ninten should be reserved as a costume for Ness not as a separate character
Back to top Go down
Ness_64
Level 4 CPU
Ness_64

PostSubject: Re: Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion   Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion EmptyFri Oct 17, 2014 9:36 pm

Crimson Heights wrote:
So he's the father and look-alike of Ness, with a different moveset, that's an alt to Ness. Do eit!!
I don't have any idea where Dry read that "Ninten is Ness' father in some canons", but no, he's not. At best, canonically it's very vaguely implied in Mother 2/EarthBound. There's grounds for theories, but even then, there's nothing officially confirmed and most of the possible theories can be easily disproved.

CyberFox wrote:
Ninten should be reserved as a costume for Ness not as a separate character
The only way I can understand that is in the same way Olimar and Alph work in Smash 4 now.
Yet, I noted that many people here wanted Alph in the game with a similar playstyle to Olimar, but with his own character slot because he can do different things - mainly using more the new Pikmin from 3, IIRC. Then why Ninten should be a Ness alt, if he could be just like that?

Yes, they are similar in appearance, but they are not EXACTLY like each other. And as stated, Ninten's moves are somewhat different from Ness'. Even though they share many PSI moves, some of them work in different ways and Ninten even has some moves that other characters in the entire series don't, like QuickUp and Dimensional Warp/4th-D Slip.

I did an entire moveset that I'll probably share later, with some things from the OP one, but showing how different he can be from Ness by using mostly his own PSI. I'm just rethinking some of the moves, so I won't post it now.
Back to top Go down
Crimson Heights
Level 4 CPU

Hyperbeam Canon

PostSubject: Re: Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion   Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion EmptyFri Oct 17, 2014 10:54 pm

Would love to see what he would look like in Crusade. Just wanna see the difference between him and Ness. Also if you post a move set, give us a picture or link to the moves in-game. Quite excited to see this character in Crusade. I want him as an Alt. Nao!!
Back to top Go down
Dry

PostSubject: Re: Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion   Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion EmptySat Oct 18, 2014 12:27 am

Alucard wrote:

If we dont mind about the thing that he is an entirely different person than this could work.

We DO mind. That's what I've been constantly saying.

And yeah Ness_64, those implications you mentioned are exactly the "some canons" I meant.
Back to top Go down
Crimson Heights
Level 4 CPU

Hyperbeam Canon

PostSubject: Re: Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion   Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion EmptySat Oct 18, 2014 12:53 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Mzm6zJTtD4

Shows off a new look on Ninten. Maybe you can go with that for his alt.

Make sure he's 100% different in his moveset. I don't remember any of his moves, since it's been a long time that I played Mother 1, but I didn't finish it. I got lost traveling really far trying to figure out where the next goal lied.
Back to top Go down
Roy
Level 7 CPU
Roy

RoyMaster4

PostSubject: Re: Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion   Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion EmptySat Oct 18, 2014 9:11 am

Although he's a different character, he's close enough to Ness that he probably fits as an alt. If you want to get technical about alts, we can say something along the lines of being family to Ness (in some canons he is?) like Pikachu and Pichu can be.

Regardless, Ninten looks cool and all, but I only see him happening if he's an alt. For his own slot, I'd much rather have one of the party members in Mother 2/3 over Ninten - Jeff, Flint, Duster...
Back to top Go down
Dry

PostSubject: Re: Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion   Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion EmptySat Oct 18, 2014 10:08 am

Family definitely isn't grounds for an alt. Mario and Luigi anyone? And, as Ness_64 argues, where it matters Ninten and Ness aren't even family.

And Pikachu and Pichu are only alts because it's implied they're the same Pokemon. Pichu evolves into Pikachu. Of course Pikachu doesn't de-evolve back into Pichu, and that's why there was a LOT of debate concerning whether or not Pichu could actually be a Pikachu alt. If even that caused so much ruckus, Ninten/Ness definitely wouldn't be viable.

@Crimson: Onyx Hook. Lifesaver if you get lost Wink
Back to top Go down
Crimson Heights
Level 4 CPU

Hyperbeam Canon

PostSubject: Re: Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion   Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion EmptySat Oct 18, 2014 11:41 am

Since we don't have all the facts yet, I say keep this on hold. I kinda feel Ninten was his own character, with no relation to Ness and Lucas.

Even if we have a theory that works, I would rather wait for Nintendo to decide who Ninten really is. The next Smash might see Ness replaced by Ninten. How about it Smile
Back to top Go down
Ness_64
Level 4 CPU
Ness_64

PostSubject: Re: Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion   Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion EmptySat Oct 18, 2014 7:42 pm

It's not official, but maybe it's good to share this: I found recently a member from Starmen.NET showing a pretty good redesign of Ninten to help make him more distinct from Ness. See the third post here. Apparently, it was even originally intended for a Brawl mod. Maybe that's where the one in the Ninten video comes from, I'm not sure.

Before we enter in the moveset, I need to make 2 things clear:
1) Mother 1 is the only game in the Mother series with no real attack animations - kinda understandable, as it began as a DQ clone and a NES game... So, many of the moves here are just a way to imagine them. You can see these three lists if you want more information on everything.
2) This moveset mostly uses things Ninten can do, but not everything on it is from him. Much like how Ness uses Paula's PSI and Lucas uses Kumatora's, there are a thing or two exclusively from Ana. But I tried to put as few moves as possible (there are 3 at most).

Here it is:
Ninten's Moveset:
Any suggestions are welcome Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Alucard
Level 3 CPU
Alucard

PostSubject: Re: Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion   Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion EmptySat Oct 18, 2014 7:46 pm

I allready know why he cant be an alt for Ness, but seriously this could not damage in anyway only make smash bros. crusade better and a good solution to put this character in to the rooster. I mean okey Samus and Zero Suit Samus are the same person but optical and technical they are two different characters and even in the new smash bros. wiiu/3ds both have they own slots because they are different from each other from the playstyle and other things and then there are these two different but identical characters olimar and alph and they use only one slot because alph is an alt for olimar. Why this cant happen in smash bros. crusade ? Im support this character and im really for it that he could maybe be an alt for Ness, please make this happen. Also Link and Toon Link could share one slot and Toon Link could be Links alt because they are also the same person. I dont want bother the dev team and I can only hope but please make this happen its just an solution and a suggestion.
Back to top Go down
Crimson Heights
Level 4 CPU

Hyperbeam Canon

PostSubject: Re: Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion   Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion EmptySun Oct 19, 2014 3:37 pm

Before you sprite Ninten, play the game and look at the equipment he wears up to the end of the game. Look at his end-game equipment and add what looks good and is powerful.

This way he won't look like Ness, but as his own character, Ninten, and give him his own slot!

Edit: Nevermind, I just looked at the items in the game, not much to mess with :( It's been too long, oh well. Can't wait for Mother 4!!

http://shrines.rpgclassics.com/nes/ebz/armor.shtml
Back to top Go down
HypeConduit
Level 6 CPU
HypeConduit

Klonoa
  XMister_RatburnX

PostSubject: Re: Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion   Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion EmptySun Oct 19, 2014 7:05 pm

Crimson Heights wrote:
Before you sprite Ninten, play the game and look at the equipment he wears up to the end of the game.

Don't get too ahead of yourself. One step at a time.
Back to top Go down
Moats
Level 4 CPU
Moats

PostSubject: Re: Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion   Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion EmptySat Mar 14, 2015 12:46 am

Dustination linked here so I bumped.

Support.
Back to top Go down
SnivyKawaii
Level 6 CPU
SnivyKawaii

Snivy

PostSubject: Re: Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion   Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion EmptySun Mar 29, 2015 4:04 pm

Support
we could make similarly these sprites
http://shinfurevindo.deviantart.com/gallery/32292007/Animated-Gifs
Back to top Go down
http://snivykawaii.tumblr.com/
C_Mill24
Level 9 CPU
C_Mill24

C-Mill24

PostSubject: Re: Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion   Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion EmptySun Mar 29, 2015 4:28 pm

CJ wrote:
Support
we could make similarly these sprites
http://shinfurevindo.deviantart.com/gallery/32292007/Animated-Gifs
We would have to de-brawlify them first to match Crusade's art direction.
Back to top Go down
OmegaSteve777
Level 8 CPU
OmegaSteve777

Gooey

PostSubject: Re: Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion   Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion EmptySun Mar 29, 2015 9:19 pm

support
Back to top Go down
Geno Boost
Level 3 CPU
Geno Boost

Geno

PostSubject: Re: Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion   Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion EmptyMon Mar 30, 2015 10:10 am

making Ninten as alt for Ness is a bad idea just because they look similar doesnt mean we should make him as alt. its like making Marth as alt for Roy, and they are not the same characters like weegee, zero suit samus, pichu, evil ryu so he doesnt deserve to be an alt skin
Ninten started the whole mother seires so he doesnt deserve to be an alt skin at all. he should get his own slot because he existed before ness does
Back to top Go down
Smash King
Smash King
Smash King

EJ88201

PostSubject: Re: Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion   Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion EmptyMon Mar 30, 2015 11:10 am

Ninten reminds of of Altair from Assassin's Creed series. He was the original hero of the series that eventually got out shined by the successor (Ninten/Ness & Altair/Ezio).

With the variety of characters that have much more to offer, I don't see the value of having Ninten, especially if he looks and probably fights similar to Ness. All he has to offer is completing the trio protagonist of a small, cult-followed franchise.

We are lucky to have 3 Mother characters in the game without backlash from fans saying we are giving them too much Mother characters.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion   Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion Empty

Back to top Go down

Ninten (Mother/Earthbound) Discussion
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next