HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Steve (Minecraft) Discussion

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
domenicodeba
Level 1 CPU

Steve (Minecraft) Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Steve (Minecraft) Discussion   Steve (Minecraft) Discussion EmptyTue Oct 07, 2014 1:28 pm

Minecraft's Steve would be a nice character because of all of the possibilities with him. He has a bow, a sword, his fists, the Enderdragon, he can summon whithers, and throw TNT. There are so many things that can be done with Steve.
Back to top Go down
Crimson Heights
Level 4 CPU

Hyperbeam Canon

PostSubject: Re: Steve (Minecraft) Discussion   Steve (Minecraft) Discussion EmptyTue Oct 07, 2014 3:02 pm

I used the search and found this thread for you ;)

https://projectcrusade.forumotion.com/t3371-a-few-character-suggestions
Back to top Go down
thebuddyadrian
Level 5 CPU
thebuddyadrian

thebuddyadrian

PostSubject: Re: Steve (Minecraft) Discussion   Steve (Minecraft) Discussion EmptyWed Oct 08, 2014 6:59 pm

Moveset idea:
Neutral: Bow (if charged up will become a flame bow and will glow purple.
Side: Diamond Sword (if charged up will become a fire aspect sword and will glow purple.
Down: Mine (will dig a hole if someone is close they will get stuck)
Up: Ender Pearl (he will throw an ender pearl and teleport to it. can be thrown in other direction if you quicky change the direction on d-pad)
Back to top Go down
SnivyKawaii
Level 6 CPU
SnivyKawaii

Snivy

PostSubject: Re: Steve (Minecraft) Discussion   Steve (Minecraft) Discussion EmptyWed Oct 08, 2014 7:22 pm

Steve:
Back to top Go down
http://snivykawaii.tumblr.com/
thebuddyadrian
Level 5 CPU
thebuddyadrian

thebuddyadrian

PostSubject: Re: Steve (Minecraft) Discussion   Steve (Minecraft) Discussion EmptyThu Oct 09, 2014 6:27 pm

I think the final smash should be griefer:
He places TNT and lights it up.
Smashes
Side:Flint and steel
Down: Lever with TNT
Up: Lever with piston
Taunt: Splash text (he holds up splash text words from the title screen)
EDIT:
Down special will be
Diamond Block (he will place 3 diamond blocks as a shield in front of him and they will stay for 30 seconds or if someone breaks it.)
Back to top Go down
thebuddyadrian
Level 5 CPU
thebuddyadrian

thebuddyadrian

PostSubject: Re: Steve (Minecraft) Discussion   Steve (Minecraft) Discussion EmptyMon Oct 13, 2014 6:10 pm

STEVE FULL MOVESET!!!
Specials:
Neutral: Bow
Side: Diamond Sword
Down: Stone block place
Up: Ender Pearl
Attacks:
Neutral: Iron sword
Side Tilt: Iron Door and lever (an iron door will be opened in opponents face.)
Down Tilt: Wood Slab place (a slab will be placed under opponent)
Up Tilt: Wood Punch (a wood block will appear above him and he will punch it "accidentally" hitting opponent.)
Side Dash: Minecart ride(he will temporarily ride a minecart and crash into opponent.)
Aerials:
Neutral: Spin around and punch
Forward: Cactus
Backward: Chest Open ( a chest will be opened with the top going towards opponent.)
Down: Anvil (he will hold an anvil making him fall fast dealing damage when in contact with opponent.)
Up: Trap door open (a trap door on top of a grass block will open towards opponent.)
Smashes:
Side: Flint and Steel (he will light fire and the fire will stay for 3 seconds.)
Down: Lever and TNT (he will blow up TNT with a lever and the TNT isnt that powerful and long ranged.)
Up: Lever and Piston (he will use a lever to push up a piston.)
Taunt: Splash Text (examples: Lets Danec!, SOPA means LOSER in swedish!,Whats up doc?)
FINAL SMASH!
Griefer: He will light up TNT and it will explode leaving fire behind. The fire will last for 10 seconds.)
I put some work into this moveset. Hope you like it!
EDIT: i forgot the grabs!
Grab: Fishing rod (can be used as recovery and works like links hook shot with more range. When grabbed opponent is rolled back.)
Grab attack: Iron Pickaxe
Foward Throw: Throw out (your opponent will be thrown out. First the fishing line will get longer then you will be thrown off. Long Ranged but low damage.)
Backwards Throw: Backwards Throw out (like throw out but it is less ranged and does more damage.)
Up Throw: I got a fish! (a block of water will appear and the fishing rod will be thrown up along with the opponent and a fish. The fish can fall on them and give little damage.)
Down Throw: Into Water (the opponent will be thrown into water and will be stuck for 3 seconds.)
Stage Intro: Opens a door and gets out of his wooden house.
Winning Pose: He mines diamonds and holds the diamond in his hand.
Losing Pose: Holds a sign that says GG with his head down.

Last edited by thebuddyadrian on Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Dr. CanadianBacon
Level 6 CPU
Dr. CanadianBacon

Dr.CanadianBacon

PostSubject: Re: Steve (Minecraft) Discussion   Steve (Minecraft) Discussion EmptyTue Oct 14, 2014 9:15 am

While Steve would probably make the game a bit more popular from the millions of Minecraft fans, I feel like he'd be an odd addition.

He's never been relevant to Nintendo, so I'm not so sure. I support him, but he's not very relevant.
Back to top Go down
C_Mill24
Level 9 CPU
C_Mill24

C-Mill24

PostSubject: Re: Steve (Minecraft) Discussion   Steve (Minecraft) Discussion EmptyTue Oct 14, 2014 10:27 am

Dr. CanadianBacon wrote:
While Steve would probably make the game a bit more popular from the millions of Minecraft fans, I feel like he'd be an odd addition.

He's never been relevant to Nintendo, so I'm not so sure. I support him, but he's not very relevant.
Plus, the fact that Microsoft bought out Mojang, the chances of Minecraft being ported to a Nintendo console have gone from slim to never.
Back to top Go down
thebuddyadrian
Level 5 CPU
thebuddyadrian

thebuddyadrian

PostSubject: Re: Steve (Minecraft) Discussion   Steve (Minecraft) Discussion EmptyTue Oct 14, 2014 5:55 pm

C_Mill24 wrote:
Dr. CanadianBacon wrote:

Plus, the fact that Microsoft bought out Mojang, the chances of Minecraft being ported to a Nintendo console have gone from slim to never.
I am a big supporter of Steve and i know he is irrelevant to nintendo but i bet it will be awesome to see minecraft and super smash bros come together! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Gamey DJ
Level 6 CPU
Gamey DJ

nah

PostSubject: Re: Steve (Minecraft) Discussion   Steve (Minecraft) Discussion EmptyTue Oct 14, 2014 6:15 pm

Nope from me.
Back to top Go down
Johnny64

Johnny64

Snake

PostSubject: Re: Steve (Minecraft) Discussion   Steve (Minecraft) Discussion EmptyTue Oct 14, 2014 7:01 pm

So much nope
Back to top Go down
SnivyKawaii
Level 6 CPU
SnivyKawaii

Snivy

PostSubject: Re: Steve (Minecraft) Discussion   Steve (Minecraft) Discussion EmptySat Oct 25, 2014 10:48 pm

https://projectcrusade.forumotion.com/t3104-steve-mc-possible-moveset

here was a good moveset, but for some reason says that only users with special access can enter Neutral
Back to top Go down
http://snivykawaii.tumblr.com/
Dustination

Mach Rider
  Dustination

PostSubject: Re: Steve (Minecraft) Discussion   Steve (Minecraft) Discussion EmptySat Oct 25, 2014 11:20 pm

CJ wrote:

here was a good moveset, but for some reason says that only users with special access can enter Neutral

It's in the trash. Sorry about that.
privatehenry wrote:
You guys had a DLC out and I remember seeing a Minecraft map their. Now I've come up with a moveset for Minecraft's hero, Steve, just in-case he's a new upcoming character  Steve (Minecraft) Discussion Icon_wink 
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
First Depute: Minecraft
Last Depute: Minecraft 

Specials:

Neutral Special: Bow Shot: Steve pulls out a bow and arrow and can fire an arrow. Or charge it up for a stronger arrow. (Minecraft)

Side Special: Critical Hit: Steve lunges forward with his diamond sword in an arch form. If he hits a player little brown star particles will appear on them. Also, good for recovering. (Minecraft)

Up Special: Ender Throw: Steve throws an enderpearl in the air, wherever it lands he teleports their. The only downside is he takes 5% damage if he teleports too high or 2% for just teleporting into the ground. (Minecraft)

Down Special: Fire Starter: Steve takes out a flint and steel and bends over lighting the ground next to him on fire. It's a small fire, but if a player steps on it then, well you know, he gets set on fire. Can be taken out with wind, water, 2 minutes. (Minecraft)

Final Smash: Night of the Living Dead: A Minecraft moon appears in the sky indicating that it's night. Steve looks and panics and runs into his house (a simple little wooden house) and closes the door to hide. Then, the nighttime monsters begin to spawn and attack the players. Zombies bite players, Skeletons shoot players with their bow and arrows, Spiders charge and and bite players poisoning them, and Endermen use their grass block and throw it at players and teleport away. Once the final smash ends the Minecraft sun appears, all the monsters burn to death and Steve comes out.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Other Attacks: 

Combo: Steve does first 2 punches, then swings his diamond sword. (Minecraft)

Dash Attack: Steve takes his diamond sword and sticks it forward, if he hits a player, then he swings them into the air. (Minecraft)

Aerial #1: Steve takes out his diamond sword and swings it at the side. (Minecraft)

Aerial #2: Steve uses his diamond sword and slams the player downward. (Minecraft)

Grab: Steve pulls out a fishing rod swings it and drags a player to him and can either swing him away, or punch and kick him. (Minecraft)

Standard Attack: Punch (Minecraft)
Description: Steve punches forward

Side Attack: TNT (Minecraft)
Description: Steve takes out a TNT and lights it and throws it forward.

Up Attack: Shovel Slam (Minecraft)
Description: Steve takes out a diamond shovel and wacks the opponent upward.

Down Attack: Lava Spill (Minecraft)
Description: Steve takes out and pours a bucket of lava on the floor and it spreads around him for a few seconds and lighting players on fire.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Extras:

Entrance: A message appears saying "Respawn?" and Steve appears ready to fight (Minecraft)

Taunt #1: Steve plays around with a chicken egg only for a baby chick to hatch, startling Steve (Minecraft)

Taunt #2: Steve tries to dig under him, but ends up getting dirt all over him making him fall (Minecraft)

Winning Pose: Steve takes out a nether star and uses it as a trophy for winning, waving it in the air (Minecraft)

Losing Pose: Steve falls and once he lands he turns red and just dies (Minecraft)
Back to top Go down
https://projectcrusade.forumotion.com/
Smash King
Smash King
Smash King

EJ88201

PostSubject: Re: Steve (Minecraft) Discussion   Steve (Minecraft) Discussion EmptySun Oct 26, 2014 8:20 am

I sometimes wonder why this character choice has hatred besides not being nintendo-relevant.
Back to top Go down
TaXMaN
Level 6 CPU
TaXMaN

PAC-MAN

PostSubject: Re: Steve (Minecraft) Discussion   Steve (Minecraft) Discussion EmptySun Oct 26, 2014 8:30 am

Dustination wrote:
CJ wrote:

I think CJ was referring to my moveset idea which was found a few posts after the OP
Back to top Go down
Dustination

Mach Rider
  Dustination

PostSubject: Re: Steve (Minecraft) Discussion   Steve (Minecraft) Discussion EmptySun Oct 26, 2014 10:06 am

TaXMaN wrote:
Dustination wrote:
CJ wrote:

I think CJ was referring to my moveset idea which was found a few posts after the OP

TaXMaN wrote:
Neutral Special "Bow": Similar to Link's Hero Bow

Side Special "Splash Potion":Steve throws a splash potion that creates a small shockwave which can inflict one of many effects (arranged from highest to lowest chance):
*Harming: Instant, moderate damage and knockback.
*Weakness: Physical damage and knockback is decreased.
*Slowness: Speed is decreased.
*Poison: Gradual damage, similar to being affected by a Flower.
A player may only be afflicted with one of these effects at a time.

Up Special "Ender Pearl":Steve throws an Ender Pearl using mechanics nearly identical to Yoshi's Egg Throw; teleporting to wherever the pearl lands. If it hits a reflector such as Pit's Mirror Shield, instead of bouncing off, it will activate as if the reflector was a solid surface.

Down Special "Block Place": Steve places three "Wooden Planks" blocks. If he's on the ground, he will place them as a wall in front of himself to block enemy actions; if he's airborne, he will place them as a platform beneath himself. Only one wall/platform per Steve may be in play at any given time. The player must either destroy the first blocks, or wait for them to despawn after 30 seconds.

sSmash- Swings his diamond sword forward
uSmash- Holds a piston above his head which shoots upwards
dSmash- Lights a TNT block. The explosion hits both sides. This attack takes time to execute but it deals decent damage and knockback

sTilt- Reaches forward with his hoe as if he is farming
uTilt- Swings his pickaxe upwards as if mining above his head
dTilt- Pours a bucket of lava right before him

nAir- Lets a Potion of Harming go off in his hands, hitting all around him
fAir- Pulls out a pair of shears and trims forward
bAir- Swings backwards with his axe
uAir- Holds a cactus block above his head
dAir- Drops a block of sand/gravel downwards on his foe. (This is a projectile being dropped)

Grab: Steve uses his fishing rod to grab and pull his foes closer

dThrow- Lights the caught foe on fire with flint and steel. The foe shoots upwards afterwards.
uThrow- Digs once into the ground with his shovel and lifts the foe into the air like tossing dirt over his shoulders
fThrow- "Mines" the foe with his pickaxe. This attack hits a few times before Steve tosses his opponent away
bThrow- Drags the foe behind him and slashes him/her with his sword

Standard Combo- Steve "mines" with his one hand. It can be repeated rapidly similar to Pikachu's headbutt.

Ledge Attack- Steve hacks any nearby foes with his pickaxe (as a bonus Steve should be grabbing the ledge with his pickaxe in his ledge hang animation)

Get Up Attack- Steve punches in both directions (similar to Luigi in Brawl)

Dash Attack- Steve rushes forward and swipes his diamond sword upwards

Final Smash Option 1:
Night Time: Steve hides in his house as the stage becomes dark. Monsters like zombies, spiders, creepers and skeletons spawns on the stage and ambushes the other players.Zombies and spiders ram into the players but spiders are way faster than zombies. Skeletons shoots arrows with their bows and creepers self-destruct when they near players dealing high knockback and moderate damage. After about 30 seconds the stage lights up again and the monsters burn to death. Steve then comes back out of his house.

Final Smash Option 2:
Ender Dragon: Steve holds an Eye of Ender above his head and a portal opens in the sky. The Ender Dragon comes through the portal and attacks the other players by ramming into them dealimg high damage and knockback. Steve hides in his house during the Final smash. After a few seconds the Ender Dragon disapears and Steve returns to battle.

Weight class: Mid weight
Speed: Fast
Jump height: Low
Entrance- Steve comes through a Nether Portal
Taunt- Steve shoots fireworks
Winning Pose: Holds a Nether star/Diamond above his head.
Back to top Go down
https://projectcrusade.forumotion.com/
thebuddyadrian
Level 5 CPU
thebuddyadrian

thebuddyadrian

PostSubject: Re: Steve (Minecraft) Discussion   Steve (Minecraft) Discussion EmptyFri Oct 31, 2014 7:17 pm

thebuddyadrian wrote:
STEVE FULL MOVESET!!!
Specials:
Neutral: Bow
Side: Diamond Sword
Down: Stone block place
Up: Ender Pearl
Attacks:
Neutral: Iron sword
Side Tilt: Iron Door and lever (an iron door will be opened in opponents face.)
Down Tilt: Wood Slab place (a slab will be placed under opponent)
Up Tilt: Wood Punch (a wood block will appear above him and he will punch it "accidentally" hitting opponent.)
Side Dash: Minecart ride(he will temporarily ride a minecart and crash into opponent.)
Aerials:
Neutral: Spin around and punch
Forward: Cactus
Backward: Chest Open ( a chest will be opened with the top going towards opponent.)
Down: Anvil (he will hold an anvil making him fall fast dealing damage when in contact with opponent.)
Up: Trap door open (a trap door on top of a grass block will open towards opponent.)
Smashes:
Side: Flint and Steel (he will light fire and the fire will stay for 3 seconds.)
Down: Lever and TNT (he will blow up TNT with a lever and the TNT isnt that powerful and long ranged.)
Up: Lever and Piston (he will use a lever to push up a piston.)
Taunt: Splash Text (examples: Lets Danec!, SOPA means LOSER in swedish!,Whats up doc?)
FINAL SMASH!
Griefer: He will light up TNT and it will explode leaving fire behind. The fire will last for 10 seconds.)
I put some work into this moveset. Hope you like it!
EDIT: i forgot the grabs!
Grab: Fishing rod (can be used as recovery and works like links hook shot with more range. When grabbed opponent is rolled back.)
Grab attack: Iron Pickaxe
Foward Throw: Throw out (your opponent will be thrown out. First the fishing line will get longer then you will be thrown off. Long Ranged but low damage.)
Backwards Throw: Backwards Throw out (like throw out but it is less ranged and does more damage.)
Up Throw: I got a fish! (a block of water will appear and the fishing rod will be thrown up along with the opponent and a fish. The fish can fall on them and give little damage.)
Down Throw: Into Water (the opponent will be thrown into water and will be stuck for 3 seconds.)
Stage Intro: Opens a door and gets out of his wooden house.
Winning Pose: He mines diamonds and holds the diamond in his hand.
Losing Pose: Holds a sign that says GG with his head down.
Did everyone forget my moveset? Do u guys like it.
Back to top Go down
TaXMaN
Level 6 CPU
TaXMaN

PAC-MAN

PostSubject: Re: Steve (Minecraft) Discussion   Steve (Minecraft) Discussion EmptySat Nov 01, 2014 9:15 am

thebuddyadrian wrote:

Did everyone forget my moveset? Do u guys like it.

Well, to tell the truth your moveset is a bit bland/unfitting. It doesn't bring the best out of Steve. The side special has Steve swing his diamond sword which could easily be his side smash instead. CJ's idea with the splash potions works perfectly and makes Steve stands out of the crowd. The same could be said about all CJ's special move ideas (minus the nspecial but Steve without his bow is like Mario without his fireballs). I also don't get the idea with Steve using doors as weapons instead of his everyday tools (pick-axe, shears, hoe, spade, axe, etc). I'm surprised you haven't brought up Steve's pick-axe anywhere (which is his main tool in Minecraft). I understand that it takes time and hard work to build a moveset but every aspect of a character should be analysed before you make your final decision for his/her moveset. The best way to build a moveset is by playing the character's game a few times and pushing their skills to the limit. That's how I created my version of Steve's moveset. Smile
Back to top Go down
SP

cellularSP

PostSubject: Re: Steve (Minecraft) Discussion   Steve (Minecraft) Discussion EmptySat Nov 01, 2014 12:38 pm

I completely forgot that the old moveset competition's first and only competition was with this character

all I can say is that Ender Pearl should definitely be the up special no matter what really, almost everyone had it as their up special
Back to top Go down
Roy
Level 7 CPU
Roy

RoyMaster4

PostSubject: Re: Steve (Minecraft) Discussion   Steve (Minecraft) Discussion EmptySat Nov 01, 2014 12:59 pm

I don't really like Steve, but I think that's a bias against Minecraft in general for some reason.

The given moveset is certainly unique and I can't deny the popularity of him, so I'll support him regardless.
Back to top Go down
Slissith

Slissith

( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)

PostSubject: Re: Steve (Minecraft) Discussion   Steve (Minecraft) Discussion EmptySat Nov 01, 2014 7:32 pm

The problem is that Minecraft doesn't really have a main character. This is why I personally feel that Steve is forced.
Back to top Go down
TaXMaN
Level 6 CPU
TaXMaN

PAC-MAN

PostSubject: Re: Steve (Minecraft) Discussion   Steve (Minecraft) Discussion EmptySun Nov 02, 2014 12:55 am

Slissith wrote:
The problem is that Minecraft doesn't really have a main character. This is why I personally feel that Steve is forced.

The same can be said about Animal Crossing's villager and look where he ended up. In Minecraft you can skin your character but in reality it's only Steve with a new paint job.
Back to top Go down
SP

cellularSP

PostSubject: Re: Steve (Minecraft) Discussion   Steve (Minecraft) Discussion EmptySun Nov 02, 2014 7:03 am

Slissith wrote:

Tell that to SSB4's Villager

Though to be fair the skin of the player in Minecraft can be completely changed to not resemble Steve in the slightest, whereas the Villager you get is the Villager you're stuck with, no matter how many dresses you have him cross-dress in not that I do that or anything

At the same time though, Steve IS the face of Minecraft. He even has his own toys, so even though he can be changed, people still recognize him. I don't think Steve is forced in the slightest, he makes the most sense really. I'd argue that the generic Steve you start out with is more recognizable than the Villagers in SSB4.
Back to top Go down
HypeConduit
Level 6 CPU
HypeConduit

Klonoa
  XMister_RatburnX

PostSubject: Re: Steve (Minecraft) Discussion   Steve (Minecraft) Discussion EmptySun Nov 02, 2014 9:19 pm

When I was making my moveset for Steve (Which somehow won, god knows why...) the process made me feel kinda groggy. I think this came from my over-reliance to refer to other characters when defining what he would do, and I think that's the big problem with Steve. Sure, he has a lot of stuff to work with; practically the entire island's worth of material, but that's the problem: he's too all-around to become something new. If you try to isolate one of his concepts to eliminate that feeling, such as mining or building, he seems incomplete and/or poorly represented. The big difference between Steve and the Villager from Animal Crossing, in my opinion, is that each Minecraft player plays much more different from eachother than how each AC player plays animal crossing.

In Minecraft, there's tons your character could be doing. You could be dedicated to cave exploration, or deep sea habitation. You could build different types of housing, or make something more intricate up on the spot. You could make a tunnel to live in, you could compete in Spleefing, or go for the Enderdragon/Witherskeleton. You could make a 100 square foot garden, or just sit at home doing nothing but making potions. Everyone's different.

Although the same could be said for AC, most of the actions your player can easily perform fall under the same type of process. Before New Leaf, it seemed like every player was extremely fixated on collecting all of the rare items, getting the golden tools, filling their museum, and paying off their mortgage.

So although Steve is a popular character with a recognizable face, he's still not really given a personality, besides obvious reactions to typical Minecraft situations. (e.g. Scared of creepers, Zealous for diamonds, blah blah blah etc.) At the end of the day, we fill in the blanks.

... And yeah, I know the first couple nights are practically the same for every intermediate player. You wouldn't get a full, colorful moveset out of that, obviously.

tl;dr: Steve is defined by the player who plays him, more so than somebody's Villager.
Back to top Go down
Slissith

Slissith

( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)

PostSubject: Re: Steve (Minecraft) Discussion   Steve (Minecraft) Discussion EmptyMon Nov 03, 2014 9:11 am

To add to what Hype said, Steve isn't really supposed to have a personality. Steve sort of like Link and is supposed to accomodate you in being immersed into the game. Link has his own voice, and you can see while you play both Villager and Link, but not Steve. The way I see it there really is no Steve, but you (while you are playing).

But hey, that's just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
TaXMaN
Level 6 CPU
TaXMaN

PAC-MAN

PostSubject: Re: Steve (Minecraft) Discussion   Steve (Minecraft) Discussion EmptyMon Nov 03, 2014 10:10 am

Slissith wrote:
To add to what Hype said, Steve isn't really supposed to have a personality. Steve sort of like Link and is supposed to accomodate you in being immersed into the game. Link has his own voice, and you  can see while you play both Villager and Link, but not Steve. The way I see it there really is no Steve, but you (while you are playing).

I'll admit, Steve has no personality but that doesn't mean he doesn't exist. And since when does playing games with a first person view make YOU replace the main character as if he wasn't there in the first place. Besides, you can also play Minecraft in a third person view (and you see Steve quite a bit when you check out your inventory in MC, which is something you do frequently). I would understand if you made that statement with a Call of duty character (since the only thing you actually see of the character is his hands holding the rifle) but Steve is seen countless times throughout gameplay.
Back to top Go down
HypeConduit
Level 6 CPU
HypeConduit

Klonoa
  XMister_RatburnX

PostSubject: Re: Steve (Minecraft) Discussion   Steve (Minecraft) Discussion EmptyMon Nov 03, 2014 1:16 pm

TaXMaN wrote:
Slissith wrote:
To add to what Hype said, Steve isn't really supposed to have a personality. Steve sort of like Link and is supposed to accomodate you in being immersed into the game. Link has his own voice, and you  can see while you play both Villager and Link, but not Steve. The way I see it there really is no Steve, but you (while you are playing).

I'll admit, Steve has no personality but that doesn't mean he doesn't exist. And since when does playing  games with a first person view make YOU replace the main character as if he wasn't there in the first place. Besides, you can also play Minecraft in a third person view (and you see Steve quite a bit when you check out your inventory in MC, which is something you do frequently). I would understand if you made that statement with a Call of duty character (since the only thing you actually see of the character is his hands holding the rifle) but Steve is seen countless times throughout gameplay.

Interestingly enough, it doesn't even apply too much with CoD, with the Campaigns of some of the older games utilizing actual characters as who you play as. (Soap, Mason, etc...)

I interpret what Slissith said as something along these lines: imagine if we had the default male Mii as a playable character. As you probably know, Miis are all made different from each other to represent their owner. Having the default Mii would just feel like a placeholder. That's sort of what this "Steve" character is: a placeholder.

See, he may be a standard, viable looking character if you were just someone browsing for games and saw Minecraft in the aisle, but most players know that he's a default skin, and that the player wearing it didn't take the time or didn't know to put something else on.

Imagine if this "Steve" was just a magenta-checkered missing texture you see in source games. Doesn't seem too attractive, huh?
Back to top Go down
TaXMaN
Level 6 CPU
TaXMaN

PAC-MAN

PostSubject: Re: Steve (Minecraft) Discussion   Steve (Minecraft) Discussion EmptyMon Nov 03, 2014 1:34 pm

HypeConduit wrote:
TaXMaN wrote:
Slissith wrote:

I'll admit, Steve has no personality but that doesn't mean he doesn't exist. And since when does playing  games with a first person view make YOU replace the main character as if he wasn't there in the first place. Besides, you can also play Minecraft in a third person view (and you see Steve quite a bit when you check out your inventory in MC, which is something you do frequently). I would understand if you made that statement with a Call of duty character (since the only thing you actually see of the character is his hands holding the rifle) but Steve is seen countless times throughout gameplay.

Interestingly enough, it doesn't even apply too much with CoD, with the Campaigns of some of the older games utilizing actual characters as who you play as. (Soap, Mason, etc...)

I interpret what Slissith said as something along these lines: imagine if we had the default male Mii as a playable character. As you probably know, Miis are all made different from each other to represent their owner. Having the default Mii would just feel like a placeholder. That's sort of what this "Steve" character is: a placeholder.

See, he may be a standard, viable looking character if you were just someone browsing for games and saw Minecraft in the aisle, but most players know that he's a default skin, and that the player wearing it didn't take the time or didn't know to put something else on.

Imagine if this "Steve" was just a magenta-checkered missing texture you see in source games. Doesn't seem too attractive, huh?

Explain the Steve toys then.
Back to top Go down
Slissith

Slissith

( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)

PostSubject: Re: Steve (Minecraft) Discussion   Steve (Minecraft) Discussion EmptyMon Nov 03, 2014 2:49 pm

Hype, you have caught my drift completely. To be honest I was in a hurry and didn't phrase my statement as well as I could so it contains a lot of tyops and/or missing words. So here's a "fixed" version. Again, sorry.

"To add to what Hype said, Steve isn't really supposed to have a personality. Steve is sort of like Link and is supposed to accomodate you in being immersed into the game. Link for example may have his own voice, but never speaks (for immersion purposes, at least in the Ocarina of Time era), and you can see while you play both Villager and Link, but not Steve. The way I see it is that there really is no Steve, but you (while you are playing)."

@TaxMaN

Good point. However in my opinion that makes Steve nothing more than an official placeholder. And this isn't bad at all. Smash Bros. itself owns its existance largely to the fact that many franshices relied on having a mascot/placeholder. The key difference is between the likes of mario, link and samus and characters more like Sonic and Jak and Daxter. The first type is more like a placeholder and are silent protagonists while the second type relies heavily on character and attitu
de (Sonic, for example, is cool). It is important to note that, for example, more modern Sonic games also "sell" character instead of only gameplay and level design.

In the case of Steve, however, he's nowhere to be seen. Mario games are still mario games despite the fact Mario is mostly silent and has little personality compared to most modern characters. In metroid and legend of zelda, there's a heavy story element and the protagonists, although silent, are essentially characters in a story as well. In Minecraft, none of this applies. You start in a random area of a cubed world and are given no exposition at all.
Back to top Go down
TaXMaN
Level 6 CPU
TaXMaN

PAC-MAN

PostSubject: Re: Steve (Minecraft) Discussion   Steve (Minecraft) Discussion EmptyMon Nov 03, 2014 3:18 pm

@Slissith: So if Steve is the mascot of Minecraft then what stops him from being a playable character?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steve (Minecraft) Discussion   Steve (Minecraft) Discussion Empty

Back to top Go down

Steve (Minecraft) Discussion
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next