Project Crusade Community

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED]

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SP

cellularSP

Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED] Empty
PostSubject: Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED]   Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED] EmptyTue Oct 07, 2014 7:40 pm

I do believe that Shantae would be a very nice addition to the Crusade roster.

Appearance in Half-Genie Hero:

A little backstory on her series of games:

Shantae first appeared on the Gameboy Color in 2002 in the game appropriately named Shantae, and was developed by Wayforward Technologies (who are responsible for games like DuckTales Remastered, Mighty Switch Force!, and Adventure Time Hey Ice King! Why’d You Steal Our Garbage?!). Thanks to the Gameboy Advance taking over and leaving the Gameboy Color in the dust, Shantae’s first game didn’t go so well despite receiving great reviews (if you want an original cartridge you can pay a pretty penny for one on eBay if you want).

Recently, Shantae has reemerged from the dark depths of forgotten-ness and has had another chance to shine. In 2010 Shantae: Risky’s Revenge was released for the DSiWare store, and the release date for Shantae’s third game (Shantae and the Pirate’s Curse) is slated for a release this month (course, plans can change) for the 3DS eShop and the Wii U.

In addition, a fourth game is also coming out relatively soon that is being backed by Kickstarter; Shantae: Half-Genie Hero. Pretty amazing how her series went from being an obscure game for the Gameboy Color to having brand new games being developed and released.

——————————————————

Now that you know a bit about Shantae’s game history, I’d like to discuss what actual powers she has.

See, Shantae is a half-genie, meaning that while she isn’t a full genie, she still has access to magical powers that she can access and use in her games.

One of the most memorable things from the games is the ability to transform into various forms. These include things like an elephant (which is insanely strong), a harpy (which allows flight), and a monkey (which allows for some insane wall maneuverability), and those aren’t even all of them. These are used in-game to help solve puzzles in various dungeons as you explore them, to access new areas you couldn't before; it's also fun to squash your enemies as an elephant.

Shantae also has access to other various magical abilities she can purchase and upgrade at shops. These include things like spawning thunderclouds, spewing fire from her hands, and summoning protective pikeballs to spin “around her bad self” that damage nearby enemies. These aren't necessary to progress in the games but do offer a nice offensive boost when fighting enemies.

Shantae isn’t helpless without magic, however, and in fact has access to many different fighting moves from the GBC game, which include a flip kick, a downward spiral, a dash forwards with her elbow, her moveset almost writes itself in a way. However, I can’t forget to mention Shantae’s most memorable technique: her hair-whip. As jumping on enemies is a staple to Mario, smacking opponents with her long ponytail like a whip is a staple to Shantae.

One of the more interesting things she could do with a moveset, I think, is make use of her transformations in-battle. A few certain moves could potentially have Shantae transform to use them; for example, her side smash could have Shantae turn into her elephant form and ram forwards. You could then have two choices: stay as an elephant with a limited moveset and continue attacking opponents, or turn back into Shantae to continue the fight. Using transformations this way could potentially give Shantae a lot of options in battle. Turning into an elephant to deal heavy damage or maybe survive a big hit; turning into a harpy in the air for some extra aerial mobility / to continue a combo in the air; turn into a monkey to chase down opponents or maybe cling to a wall if that’s your thing.
Theoretically speaking you should be able to stay in these forms as long as you want, and turn back when you want as well. Each form would have something Shantae doesn’t, like more raw power or mobility. Using these effectively could allow Shantae to be very versatile and unique as a fighter.
Credit to GigaPichu for original idea for transformation-
In addition to all of that, Shantae is getting a new game very soon, and it plans to stray away from the normal Shantae formula to have Shantae use pirate-based weapons and abilities instead of genie magic. I’m not 100% sure what all of that includes, but its interesting and could possibly serve to help boost the moveset as a whole when its released and we figure out what her new abilities are.

...speaking of a moveset, here's one right now.

moveset:

Last edited by StayPuft on Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:44 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Dustination

Mach Rider
  Dustination

PostSubject: Re: Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED]   Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED] EmptyTue Oct 07, 2014 9:05 pm

Amazingly well put together post, SP. Great job.
Very convincing.
Back to top Go down
https://projectcrusade.forumotion.com/
SP

cellularSP

PostSubject: Re: Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED]   Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED] EmptyWed Oct 08, 2014 1:13 pm

Thank ye Dust
Back to top Go down
HypeConduit
Level 6 CPU
HypeConduit

Klonoa
  XMister_RatburnX

PostSubject: Re: Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED]   Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED] EmptyWed Oct 08, 2014 3:32 pm

Shantae should be in. I feel that she's both relevant to Nintendo, a nifty character, and would add a whole myriad of new tropes to the game. She has my backing for sure.
Back to top Go down
Moats
Level 4 CPU
Moats

PostSubject: Re: Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED]   Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED] EmptyWed Oct 08, 2014 10:56 pm

I just came to this board to suggest her.

I got her back.
Back to top Go down
Johnny64

Johnny64

Snake

PostSubject: Re: Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED]   Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED] EmptyWed Oct 08, 2014 11:01 pm

My support goes to Shantae
Back to top Go down
AEM

AEM

Ariand54321

PostSubject: Re: Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED]   Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED] EmptyThu Oct 09, 2014 3:03 pm

As she does in the suggestion poll, she has my support here too.
Back to top Go down
Falcon8r

Falcon8r

PostSubject: Re: Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED]   Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED] EmptyThu Oct 09, 2014 4:36 pm

+1, let's put Shantae in the game.
Back to top Go down
VultureDuck
Level 6 CPU
VultureDuck

PostSubject: Re: Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED]   Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED] EmptyThu Oct 09, 2014 5:16 pm

Shante is really interesting, she gets my support also.
Back to top Go down
SP

cellularSP

PostSubject: Re: Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED]   Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED] EmptyFri Oct 10, 2014 3:24 pm

I'm almost done with an updated moveset than the one I posted before these unconfirmed boards were made, I'll edit the OP when it's finished.
Back to top Go down
SP

cellularSP

PostSubject: Re: Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED]   Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED] EmptySat Oct 11, 2014 10:36 am

Updated the OP with the proposed moveset, its at the very bottom of the post. Feedback would be nice
Back to top Go down
Dustination

Mach Rider
  Dustination

PostSubject: Re: Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED]   Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED] EmptySat Oct 11, 2014 10:39 am

I loooove the transformations
Great job SP
Back to top Go down
https://projectcrusade.forumotion.com/
Slissith

Slissith

( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)

PostSubject: Re: Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED]   Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED] EmptySat Oct 11, 2014 3:41 pm

Support.
Back to top Go down
Perfect Hell

Perfect Hell

PostSubject: Re: Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED]   Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED] EmptySat Oct 11, 2014 6:56 pm

On the moveset;

- How do shield and grab button inputs work while transformed?
- How does she recover if not already set up to do so prior?  I guess going harpy would help but 3 jumps without an Up B isnt all that great of a recovery.  If the harpy could float or glide (i recommend adding one of these, even outside recovery reasons) that would help.
- I think the harpy could use some kind of really basic and shitty attack on the ground, but at least something.  I can hear the ignorant fan complaints already.
- You mentioned wall cling and climb for monkey, but what about wall jump?  Does she normally have a wall jump?
- Her up B could possibly be different to offset my earlier point.  What if holding B allowed you to position the warp squid, and thus if she didnt have one set up she could do a recovery reminiscent of Black Mage in SSF2, difference being that the opponent is capable of destroying the squid as it travels.  Although to make sure they actually can destroy it in time, perhaps it's HP would decrease slowly as you make it travel
- Will other B inputs besides neutral while transformed all be revert transformation as well?

Just some thoughts to consider.

EDIT
One more thought to consider to help the Harpy feel a little more harpy-like (based off general harpy knowledge from other games and such, never actually played Shantae):
- Some sort of swooping attack would be a nice addition, where she swoops downward in an arc and attacks with talons. A command grab aspect to this that lifts opponents up into the air and sets up a combo would be a nice addition beyond that.
Back to top Go down
SnivyKawaii
Level 6 CPU
SnivyKawaii

Snivy

PostSubject: Re: Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED]   Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED] EmptySat Oct 11, 2014 10:26 pm

Slissith wrote:
Support.
Back to top Go down
http://snivykawaii.tumblr.com/
SP

cellularSP

PostSubject: Re: Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED]   Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED] EmptySun Oct 12, 2014 8:42 am

I'll take those suggestions into account PerfectHell and will update moveset soon

EDIT:

Alright, basically added/addressed everything PerfectHell mentioned in his post. Overall boosts the moveset I think.

Also, I'd like to thank everybody for their support.
Back to top Go down
Perfect Hell

Perfect Hell

PostSubject: Re: Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED]   Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED] EmptySun Oct 12, 2014 10:41 pm

Nice, thanks for the consideration.

I put some more thought into Shantae after seeing Giga's post some time ago where you got the transformation playstyle inspiration. He mentioned a spider transformation, which makes me wonder how many other canonical transformations she has that arent being used. The spider at least could be really awesome, being able to set traps for her opponents. Webs that they can get stunned in, and being able to maybe wrap opponents up in it if she gets a command grab type attack on them. Stuff like that. A spider has a lot of cool possibilities if we get creative with it. And if there are any other transformations out there so far unused, depending on what they can bring to the table they should definitely be considered.

His other main focal point was about using the transformations as the links between parts of a combo. In order for this to work, I think a new gimmick similar to the street fighter characters could be added. If she presses B during the ending period of an attack that successfully connected with an opponent, she'll turn into either the harpy (air) or Monkey (ground) and automatically boost in the direction the attack sends it's opponent. This would allow immediate followups that otherwise wouldnt be possible, but only through transformation. All of that is handled by code as well, no additional spriting necessary. One thing to still consider then would be what happens if already harpy and you try to do a B cancel...either it's not possible or maybe harpy/monkey switch between eachother when used in that fashion? That would likely become overpowered though, so maybe it's best if only human form can use the transform cancel.
Back to top Go down
SP

cellularSP

PostSubject: Re: Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED]   Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED] EmptyMon Oct 13, 2014 8:52 am

There are 3 that aren't being used, those being a mermaid form (which canonically is more useless than harpy on land so I did not bother with it), you mentioned a spider form, and a Tinkerbat form.

The spider I saw was more of a situational monkey-like form (in the first game it is used for traversing already woven spiderwebs (can't even spin them yourself) and shooting venom), though I had not considered looking into what Shantae as a spider could do in the upcoming Half-Genie hero (since I heard it was coming back after being absent from the 2nd game). Turns out its actually getting a brand-new design and there are some interesting new mechanics that are being proposed, which include spinning web, climbing said web, and draining health from enemies that are caught in the webbing (got this info here). It'd be cool to implement I think, considering that it looks like its getting more unique than the other forms with Half-Genie hero.

The tinkerbat is a form that is mostly used for convenience in the game, since it combines the usefulness of multiple transformations into one (those being the monkey, elephant, and spider in the original game), so you spend less time actually transforming and more time exploring. I wasn't sure how to implement that here without overshadowing the other forms so I ignored it (also since it is an optional pick-up in the game that it appears).
Back to top Go down
Perfect Hell

Perfect Hell

PostSubject: Re: Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED]   Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED] EmptyMon Oct 13, 2014 10:29 am

OK, that's fine. Although new spider stuff could definitely be used i think.
Back to top Go down
SP

cellularSP

PostSubject: Re: Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED]   Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED] EmptyMon Oct 13, 2014 10:58 am

I was iffy on spider because I was going off info from Shantae's first game, where the spider didn't have the newer things I read about. IMO the newer spider stuff would be cool to try and implement somehow, I'll need to think of a way to put it into the current moveset.
Back to top Go down
Azure_Raven
Level 4 CPU

Mr. Game & Watch

PostSubject: Re: Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED]   Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED] EmptyFri Oct 31, 2014 8:45 pm

Shantae would certainly seem like an interesting character to play as.

Continuing on this topic, I recently finished playing the latest installment of the Shantae series, Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, and I have an idea on how to work on your moveset, StayPuft.
Throughout the game, Shantae obtains new weapons known as Pirate Gear to replace her lost magic. These objects allow her to explore her surroundings more in depth to locate hidden secrets. These include:

Pirate Gear:

She could also use three new techniques from Pirate's Curse, the Backdash, Backflip and Power Kick, in her moveset.

What do you think?
Back to top Go down
SP

cellularSP

PostSubject: Re: Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED]   Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED] EmptySat Nov 01, 2014 12:37 pm

I've yet to play the game itself, but I like the moves mentioned. I'm completely fine with adding most/all of these, especially the cannon. I'll have to see where I want them, though. Thanks for sharing@
Back to top Go down
Roy
Level 7 CPU
Roy

RoyMaster4

PostSubject: Re: Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED]   Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED] EmptySat Aug 15, 2015 7:12 pm

So... uh, yeah. Shantae for the Crusade Characters sub-forum?
Back to top Go down
TrinitroMan
Level 7 CPU
TrinitroMan

PostSubject: Re: Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED]   Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED] EmptySun Aug 16, 2015 2:32 am

Oh, so you already know about this:

The way they revealed Shantae was very shitty, though...
Back to top Go down
Braystar
Level 7 CPU
Braystar

Waluigi
  N/A

PostSubject: Re: Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED]   Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED] EmptySun Aug 16, 2015 2:57 am

[quote="TrinitroMan"]
The way they revealed Shantae was very shitty, though...[/quote]

I agree. And the sprite isn't that great, especially when the original game had a better looking sprite IMO
Back to top Go down
TrinitroMan
Level 7 CPU
TrinitroMan

PostSubject: Re: Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED]   Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED] EmptySun Aug 16, 2015 3:01 am

The sprites are actually pretty nice when taking to account that they are custom.
They're just not as good as the original sprites, that's all.
Back to top Go down
Braystar
Level 7 CPU
Braystar

Waluigi
  N/A

PostSubject: Re: Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED]   Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED] EmptySun Aug 16, 2015 3:55 am

[quote="TrinitroMan"]The sprites are actually pretty nice when taking to account that they are custom.
They're just not as good as the original sprites, that's all.[/quote]

While I understand how hard making sprites is, but it can be way better. Just doesn't look like our Shantae
Back to top Go down
TrinitroMan
Level 7 CPU
TrinitroMan

PostSubject: Re: Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED]   Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED] EmptySun Aug 16, 2015 4:42 am

Actually, it does look like Shantae. It just doesn't look like the more well-known Shantae, but more like what I think was supossed to be a Smash-styled redesign.
Back to top Go down
Braystar
Level 7 CPU
Braystar

Waluigi
  N/A

PostSubject: Re: Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED]   Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED] EmptySun Aug 16, 2015 5:08 am

[quote="TrinitroMan"]Actually, it does look like Shantae. It just doesn't look like the more well-known Shantae, but more like what I think was supposed to be a Smash-styled redesign.[/quote]

It's not that, it's mainly the colours. They look darker, which doesn't feel like Shantae.
Back to top Go down
TrinitroMan
Level 7 CPU
TrinitroMan

PostSubject: Re: Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED]   Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED] EmptySun Aug 16, 2015 7:56 am

Shantae thread is avaible now: https://projectcrusade.forumotion.com/t4179-shantae-discussion
Let's hope one of my suggestions and some more important Smash veterans will be included next. Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED]   Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED] Empty

Back to top Go down

Shantae (Shantae) Discussion: She’s Got the Moves! [CONFIRMED]
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1