View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Smash King
Smash King
Smash King

EJ88201

Petey Piranha Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Petey Piranha Discussion   Petey Piranha Discussion EmptyThu Oct 02, 2014 2:10 pm

Discuss, share opinions, ideas, etc. about Petey Piranha.
Back to top Go down
Falcon8r

Falcon8r

PostSubject: Re: Petey Piranha Discussion   Petey Piranha Discussion EmptyWed Oct 08, 2014 3:33 pm

Aw, yeah. This is definitely one of my favorite characters in 0.9. He's a ton of fun to play, and he seems to have a lot of depth from what I have found so far. Hopefully I can do a write-up on him once I have some experience against real opponents.
Back to top Go down
HypeConduit
Level 6 CPU
HypeConduit

Klonoa
  XMister_RatburnX

PostSubject: Re: Petey Piranha Discussion   Petey Piranha Discussion EmptyWed Oct 08, 2014 3:43 pm

Petey is an oddball, but really fun to play as once you give 'em a chance. Seems to have a lot of combat tools, but nothing I can personally use too well. Razz
Back to top Go down
Lego Shaq

Lego Shaq

Geno

PostSubject: Re: Petey Piranha Discussion   Petey Piranha Discussion EmptyTue May 19, 2015 5:06 pm

Petey's really fun to play'n'main. I wonder why he was selected to be in, though. Always been one of my favorite baddies, but I've always wondered...
Back to top Go down
Falcon8r

Falcon8r

PostSubject: Re: Petey Piranha Discussion   Petey Piranha Discussion EmptyTue May 19, 2015 6:54 pm

One of the original SSBC devs wanted him to be in. Back when we started on this game in 2009, he was still a bit more relevant than now thanks to Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time and Brawl.
Back to top Go down
Slissith

Slissith

( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)

PostSubject: Re: Petey Piranha Discussion   Petey Piranha Discussion EmptyTue May 19, 2015 7:30 pm

I remember supporting Petey back in the day. Didn't go that well but guess what, he's in now.

Also, gotta love down tilt. Great keep-away tool.
Back to top Go down
Lego Shaq

Lego Shaq

Geno

PostSubject: Re: Petey Piranha Discussion   Petey Piranha Discussion EmptyThu May 21, 2015 6:14 pm

Falcon8r wrote:
One of the original SSBC devs wanted him to be in. Back when we started on this game in 2009, he was still a bit more relevant than now thanks to Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time and Brawl.

Thought the roster was remade after the great mod collapse of 20XX? I'm just glad he's in.
Back to top Go down
SP

cellularSP

PostSubject: Re: Petey Piranha Discussion   Petey Piranha Discussion EmptyThu May 21, 2015 6:45 pm

Lego Shaq wrote:
Falcon8r wrote:

Thought the roster was remade after the great mod collapse of 20XX? I'm just glad he's in.

Petey was in a very early build of the game, then was cut.

The new dev team brought him back.
Back to top Go down
RiDEL
Level 1 CPU
RiDEL

Lowly_RiDEL

PostSubject: Re: Petey Piranha Discussion   Petey Piranha Discussion EmptySun Aug 16, 2015 5:18 pm

I also think they may have put him in because they put in the other bosses from SSE in Brawl. I mean it does make the most sense considering all the other boss characters are present.

That aside I really like Petey's addition to the roster heavy weights are in short supply these days.
Back to top Go down
Braystar
Level 7 CPU
Braystar

Waluigi
  N/A

PostSubject: Re: Petey Piranha Discussion   Petey Piranha Discussion EmptyMon Aug 17, 2015 2:39 am

Ehhhhh..... Why is Petey in the game? I know you wanted bosses, but Petey isn't that big in the Mario games
Back to top Go down
OmegaSteve777
Level 8 CPU
OmegaSteve777

Gooey

PostSubject: Re: Petey Piranha Discussion   Petey Piranha Discussion EmptyMon Aug 17, 2015 3:00 pm

He was at one point.
Back to top Go down
Braystar
Level 7 CPU
Braystar

Waluigi
  N/A

PostSubject: Re: Petey Piranha Discussion   Petey Piranha Discussion EmptyMon Aug 17, 2015 3:10 pm

But not anymore. Petey has been put to the side. Honestly there are better choices for a Mario rep
Back to top Go down
SP

cellularSP

PostSubject: Re: Petey Piranha Discussion   Petey Piranha Discussion EmptyMon Aug 17, 2015 3:13 pm

Petey Piranha was in one of the very early builds of the game. Besides the fact that he was a boss in the Subspace Emissary (which one of the devs wanted all of the game-based ones to be playable, even Rayquaza), we felt it would be cool to bring back an older character that was cut back into the game.

Though honestly, I feel as though if we were discussing adding Petey today, he wouldn't be included in the end.
Back to top Go down
OmegaSteve777
Level 8 CPU
OmegaSteve777

Gooey

PostSubject: Re: Petey Piranha Discussion   Petey Piranha Discussion EmptyMon Aug 17, 2015 3:15 pm

I feel Petey is a fun oddball choice that no one would have thought of. Same for Gooey.
Back to top Go down
DJSkrelp
Level 2 CPU
DJSkrelp

N/A

PostSubject: Re: Petey Piranha Discussion   Petey Piranha Discussion EmptyMon Aug 17, 2015 6:54 pm

Petey is a great character with fun combos. If you're playing a good Petey, you can see how he adds some interesting things to the game.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLy3SOItBAVpOzzkfhGd5pw
Braystar
Level 7 CPU
Braystar

Waluigi
  N/A

PostSubject: Re: Petey Piranha Discussion   Petey Piranha Discussion EmptyMon Aug 17, 2015 9:47 pm

@OmegaSteve777 Gooey at least was playable in a main title, Petey only has spinoffs.
Back to top Go down
Dustination

Mach Rider
  Dustination

PostSubject: Re: Petey Piranha Discussion   Petey Piranha Discussion EmptyMon Aug 17, 2015 10:27 pm

Braystar wrote:
@OmegaSteve777 Gooey at least was playable in a main title, Petey only has spinoffs.

Petey Piranha was a boss in Sunshine, NSMB, Super Princess Peach, Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time, Brawl, and Sticker Star (He'll also be appearing as a boss in Paper Jam, so he hasn't been completely pushed aside) which are all pretty significant: as well as the many other sport/kart spin-offs etc. Not to mention the Mario Galaxy games featured bosses strikingly similar to Petey. Characters like Ridley, for example, have only ever appeared as boss characters and are also playable.

Last edited by Dustination on Mon Aug 17, 2015 10:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://projectcrusade.forumotion.com/
Braystar
Level 7 CPU
Braystar

Waluigi
  N/A

PostSubject: Re: Petey Piranha Discussion   Petey Piranha Discussion EmptyMon Aug 17, 2015 10:30 pm

[quote="Dustination"][quote="Braystar"]@OmegaSteve777 Gooey at least was playable in a main title, Petey only has spinoffs.[/quote]

Petey Piranha was a boss in Sunshine, NSMB, Super Princess Peach, Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time, Brawl, and Sticker Star (He'll also be appearing as a boss in Paper Jam, so he hasn't been completely pushed aside) which are all pretty significant: as well as the many spin-offs. Characters like Ridley, for example, have only ever appeared as boss characters and are also playable. [/quote]

Ridley is THE boss you remember from Metriod. While yes, Petey has been a boss, how significant were those fights? What makes Petey special enough to be a part of the Crusade roster?
Back to top Go down
Dustination

Mach Rider
  Dustination

PostSubject: Re: Petey Piranha Discussion   Petey Piranha Discussion EmptyMon Aug 17, 2015 10:48 pm

Braystar wrote:
Dustination wrote:
Braystar wrote:

Petey Piranha was a boss in Sunshine, NSMB, Super Princess Peach, Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time, Brawl, and Sticker Star (He'll also be appearing as a boss in Paper Jam, so he hasn't been completely pushed aside) which are all pretty significant: as well as the many spin-offs. Characters like Ridley, for example, have only ever appeared as boss characters and are also playable.

Ridley is THE boss you remember from Metriod. While yes, Petey has been a boss, how significant were those fights? What makes Petey special enough to be a part of the Crusade roster?

I was only responding the the idea that you may have felt a character needed to be playable to be a character.

He's fun to play as, for starters. I can't think of many other Mario characters (Discounting Wario, Yoshi, and DK series, etc) who are any more important than him. (Keep in mind Petey was added into the game long before Bowser Jr. and Rosalina were added to Smash 4.) If we added him in the new version or something, I would be questioning it myself.

Regardless, alienating mains is the last thing we want to do so he's here to stay, sorry.
Back to top Go down
Braystar
Level 7 CPU
Braystar

Waluigi
  N/A

PostSubject: Re: Petey Piranha Discussion   Petey Piranha Discussion EmptyMon Aug 17, 2015 10:54 pm

[quote="Dustination"] I was only responding the the idea that you may have felt a character needed to be playable to be a character.[/quote]
I don't believe of that is a valid way to choose characters, but impact in it's original series is what a character needs. I know that I can't get rid of him, and that's just dumb. I was just wondering why Petey was in. Also, if you need a Mario rep other than Jr. and Mariotehplumber's love, Daisy is one.
Back to top Go down
Dustination

Mach Rider
  Dustination

PostSubject: Re: Petey Piranha Discussion   Petey Piranha Discussion EmptyMon Aug 17, 2015 11:02 pm

Braystar wrote:
Dustination wrote:
I was only responding the the idea that you may have felt a character needed to be playable to be a character.
I don't believe of that is a valid way to choose characters, but impact in it's original series is what a character needs. I know that I can't get rid of him, and that's just dumb. I was just wondering why Petey was in. Also, if you need a Mario rep other than Jr. and Mariotehplumber's love, Daisy is one.

Keep in mind that the devs were probably also considering moveset potential when choosing Petey (I was not around for this), and Petey has a lot more than Daisy does, especially when considering Waluigi already sort of represents the Mario Sports stuff. This is my opinion, I'm sure someone could come up with a good moveset for Daisy if they tried hard enough.

There are people who think the same way about Rosalina being in Smash 4, but you can't deny her moveset isn't unique.
Back to top Go down
Braystar
Level 7 CPU
Braystar

Waluigi
  N/A

PostSubject: Re: Petey Piranha Discussion   Petey Piranha Discussion EmptyMon Aug 17, 2015 11:05 pm

[quote="Dustination"][quote="Braystar"][quote="Dustination"] I was only responding the the idea that you may have felt a character needed to be playable to be a character.[/quote]
I don't believe of that is a valid way to choose characters, but impact in it's original series is what a character needs. I know that I can't get rid of him, and that's just dumb. I was just wondering why Petey was in. Also, if you need a Mario rep other than Jr. and Mariotehplumber's love, Daisy is one.[/quote]

Keep in mind that the devs were probably also considering moveset potential when choosing Petey (I was not around for this), and Petey has a lot more than Daisy does, especially when considering Waluigi already sort of represents the Mario Sports stuff. This is my opinion, I'm sure someone could come up with a good moveset for Daisy if they tried hard enough.

There are people who think the same way about Rosalina being in Smash 4, but you can't deny her moveset isn't unique.[/quote]

I see Waluigi as his own special moveset, not a Sports based. Daisy has crystal powers as well, which could be interesting. Too bad I'm too lazy to make a moveset for her Razz
Back to top Go down
Dustination

Mach Rider
  Dustination

PostSubject: Re: Petey Piranha Discussion   Petey Piranha Discussion EmptyMon Aug 17, 2015 11:17 pm

Braystar wrote:
Dustination wrote:
Braystar wrote:
Dustination wrote:

There are people who think the same way about Rosalina being in Smash 4, but you can't deny her moveset isn't unique.

I see Waluigi as his own special moveset, not a Sports based. Daisy has crystal powers as well, which could be interesting. Too bad I'm too lazy to make a moveset for her Razz

I suppose it's just one move yeah (NSpec), but now that I think about it Peach (Who is the one Daisy is most likely to be similar to) also uses sports equipment in her side smash. lol
Back to top Go down
DJSkrelp
Level 2 CPU
DJSkrelp

N/A

PostSubject: Re: Petey Piranha Discussion   Petey Piranha Discussion EmptyTue Aug 18, 2015 7:01 pm

Petey Piranha is a cool character, and remember guys, this is a demo. He needs fixes just like most of the cast. The concept, however, is very cool.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLy3SOItBAVpOzzkfhGd5pw
MarioStrikerMurphy1994
Level 5 CPU
MarioStrikerMurphy1994

PostSubject: Re: Petey Piranha Discussion   Petey Piranha Discussion EmptyMon Jan 11, 2016 8:07 pm

Petey Piranha is one of the weirdiest characters in this game, due to his personality and moves.

It's a nice detail of the developers making some bosses of SSBB: SSE as playable characters.

However, despite he has a good moveset, but Petey Piranha is somewhat weak in strength and somewhat slow. Ok, I understand he's bigger, but, adding him a little of strength isn't a bad idea.

If there's a change suggestion, here's mine:
-For Final Smash, I'm suggesting this: Petey grows into a massive flower, opens his petals, and spits huge flaming seeds. The seeds can cause explosive damage and send opponents flying.

What do you think? Comment, please.
Back to top Go down
OmegaSteve777
Level 8 CPU
OmegaSteve777

Gooey

PostSubject: Re: Petey Piranha Discussion   Petey Piranha Discussion EmptyMon Jan 11, 2016 10:04 pm

I've heard that Petey is actually one of the more OP characters in the game (I don't know how true that is but oh well)

But a new Final Smash is needed, I didn't even figure out what it did until I hit the special button again.
Back to top Go down
Braystar
Level 7 CPU
Braystar

Waluigi
  N/A

PostSubject: Re: Petey Piranha Discussion   Petey Piranha Discussion EmptyMon Jan 11, 2016 10:09 pm

It's a buff. Problem is that just holding attack and trapping your opponent is easy and you still gain FS meter under the buff
Back to top Go down
King Proto
Level 5 CPU
King Proto

ProtoBlur

PostSubject: Re: Petey Piranha Discussion   Petey Piranha Discussion EmptyTue Jan 12, 2016 6:37 am

I agree with the FS change, as it actually took me a few months to learn that you have to press the special button after using it. I guess I should have tried harder. tongue
Back to top Go down
EnerGForce
Level 1 CPU
EnerGForce

N/A

PostSubject: Re: Petey Piranha Discussion   Petey Piranha Discussion EmptyMon Sep 19, 2016 7:13 pm

Petey Piranha needs love, he's actually the reason I found out about this game! Love the way he plays and the tornado combos. Really curious about if he'll change in 3.1! His sprite looks really great as it is so that doesn't need any improvements. I kinda wish his neutral attack were a combo though, but overall he's a super solid character and my fave.

As a character, I've always loved Petey. It will sound obsurd, but he's actually probably my favorite Nintendo character, and I'm glad to see love shown to him in this thread! I liked him first as a character because of his design, but his character is hilariously clumsy, so he's got everything going for him Imo. I miss the days when he was playable in every Mario Sports Game as an unlockable, but it's exciting for me to see him show up every now & then like in Mario Party 10.

Thanks to the devs for adding my fave in the game!! Outstanding work on the amout of content and the quality of it with this game.
Back to top Go down
desu
Level 6 CPU
desu

Yoshi
  fanyoshixD

PostSubject: Re: Petey Piranha Discussion   Petey Piranha Discussion EmptyTue Sep 20, 2016 7:48 am

Yeah, Petey is such a fun character, love the air to ground combos to air combos, and petey's neutral special mixed with down special is such a good way of dealing up damage, not to mention the corner meteor smashes.
However I feel he would be a bit better with just a bit more mobility in the air.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Petey Piranha Discussion   Petey Piranha Discussion Empty

Back to top Go down

Petey Piranha Discussion
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next