Ashley Discussion

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Smash King
Smash King
Smash King

EJ88201

Ashley Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Ashley Discussion   Ashley Discussion EmptyThu Oct 02, 2014 12:06 am

Discuss, share opinions, ideas, etc. about Ashley.
Back to top Go down
SP

cellularSP

Ashley Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ashley Discussion   Ashley Discussion EmptySun Nov 16, 2014 8:56 pm

I had some ideas for moveset improvements. I've been thinking about this a bit too much.

Currently, her Dspecial is a stupid counter, which is... well, dumb. It doesn't fit her character outside of maybe looking a bit spooky looking.

Another idea I had for this was basically similar to Link's bombs, except Ashley takes out potions. The potions can be different colors like green, red, etc, and they all could have various affects like freezing opponents with a blue potion, etc.

However, the spooky mask is pretty cool, so maybe it could be put as a new side smash.

Also, in Game & Wario, Ashley's friend, Red, aka her broom and wand, can also turn into an umbrella. Perhaps this could be something added to Ashley's up special, maybe if the B button is pressed Red turns into an umbrella and Ashley can float downwards. IDK it might be a bit unnecessary but I'm not sure.

Speaking of Red, IMO Red himself should be used more (not turned into anything), dash attack is not enough considering Red always appears with Ashley in Warioware. At least one other area should be Ashley's grab IMO, where Red is shot out and can bring opponents back to Ashley (which could/would reference their first appearance where Ashley sends Red after that one alien dude).

I'd actually like to see a complete revamp of Ashley's playstyle. To me, a combo-heavy character fits her playstyle... like a square peg fits into a round hole. Aka it doesn't fit.
Ashley, to me, seems more like a character that stays away from close-range fighting to deal damage from afar, and who can also screw with opponents with various nasty status affects (she is a witch after all).
I also read that in Game & Wario, apparently Ashley's spells only work as they are intended roughly 40% of the time (which is somewhat silly but...). I'm thinking that we could reference this in more than just her side special (where she can gain weight). I'm not talking about making her moves miss or damage her, but rather maybe give them a small chance to deal more damage or be more nasty than normal.
Back to top Go down
Roy
Level 7 CPU
Roy

RoyMaster4

Ashley Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ashley Discussion   Ashley Discussion EmptySun Nov 16, 2014 9:31 pm

Agreed with pretty much everything you said. However, I would avoid looking at Game & Wario for inspiration - that has Ashley sucked into a brightly colored cookie world, which doesn't really fit her at all.

My idea for her playstyle is almost what you described - but with a slight change. What if most of her attacks hit at a distance away from her? For example, if for her down smash, we moved the flames further away from her. She could combo somewhat, but only at that set distance - if opponents get too close, she has almost nothing to get them away, but her attacks are devastating at, say, Marth-tipper-distance.
Back to top Go down
Dry

Ashley Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ashley Discussion   Ashley Discussion EmptyMon Nov 17, 2014 12:13 am

Roy wrote:
if opponents get too close, she has almost nothing to get them away, but her attacks are devastating at, say, Marth-tipper-distance.

Which would synergise very well with Ashley's mobility. I like it.

Take as much time as you need to get a full moveset up and running, SP. I like the ideas so far.
Back to top Go down
SP

cellularSP

Ashley Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ashley Discussion   Ashley Discussion EmptyMon Nov 17, 2014 8:36 am

Roy wrote:
Agreed with pretty much everything you said. However, I would avoid looking at Game & Wario for inspiration - that has Ashley sucked into a brightly colored cookie world, which doesn't really fit her at all.

My idea for her playstyle is almost what you described - but with a slight change. What if most of her attacks hit at a distance away from her? For example, if for her down smash, we moved the flames further away from her. She could combo somewhat, but only at that set distance - if opponents get too close, she has almost nothing to get them away, but her attacks are devastating at, say, Marth-tipper-distance.

I'm fine with that. As I said, having her up-close and personal doesn't really fit her. Having her at a distance would be very good.

As for looking at Game & Wario, I'm aware of where her part takes place, and the things I've mentioned have no grounding in the candy world. Umbrella seemed like something Red could do already and the spells thing is a part of Ashley herself.
Back to top Go down
SP

cellularSP

Ashley Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ashley Discussion   Ashley Discussion EmptyTue Nov 18, 2014 9:25 am

Been working on a moveset, have everything but aerials

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Dry

Ashley Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ashley Discussion   Ashley Discussion EmptyTue Nov 18, 2014 9:50 am

Everything else looks good, but how are you supposed to hit with the second hit of jab?
Back to top Go down
Perfect Hell

Perfect Hell

Ashley Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ashley Discussion   Ashley Discussion EmptyTue Nov 18, 2014 10:25 am

Adding my commentaries in bold, some from a balancing perspective and may not necessarily change anything but rather add on details, others from moveset/playstyle perspectives. Sometimes im calling for change and others just adding more detail i think fitting.

StayPuft wrote:
Been working on a moveset, have everything but aerials

Spoiler:

Overall I like where this is going. If i didnt comment on something, that means i think it's good.
Back to top Go down
MarioStrikerMurphy1994
Level 5 CPU
MarioStrikerMurphy1994

Ashley Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ashley Discussion   Ashley Discussion EmptyFri Nov 27, 2015 6:31 pm

Ashley is one of my most favourite characters in this game. Her abilities made even me think that she has the potential for be a playable newcomer in any official Smash game.

However, about her Final Smash, I'm somewhat doubtful... I know she summons a giant carnivore flower, but, which name could have her Final Smash?
Back to top Go down
Argly902
Level 2 CPU

Ashley Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ashley Discussion   Ashley Discussion EmptyThu Dec 03, 2015 8:22 pm

Ashley overall is a puzzling character to me. Her hitboxes in general are tiny, and her attacks do low damage, and personally, her side special is near useless due to the failure rate and the lack of practical usage. Her neutral special is kinda neat, but quite predictable. Although she has a bunch of combo tools, I am largely unsuccessful in connecting them in an eloquent manner

Anyone have any good combos or tips?
Back to top Go down
Perfect Hell

Perfect Hell

Ashley Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ashley Discussion   Ashley Discussion EmptyThu Dec 03, 2015 8:32 pm

Her side special will increase the opponent's weight when successful, or increase her own on failure. The former helps out her combo game, and the latter helps out her survivability, especially at higher percents when she no longer has to worry about being combo'd herself.

Some of her hitboxes are quite small but others are pretty big, such as Utilt, Nair, and Down Smash. These 3 are all incredible moves in general for more reasons than just their range.

She also has basically the best recovery in smash history.

For combos, Dair -> anything. Utilt and Nair string into eachother and other moves. Fair can string together at lower percents. I think she has some throw combos too, not sure. Her jab 1 and 2 are also frame traps, often allowing you to connect back into Jab 1 (be careful not to start up the multi-jab), or a grab if they get used to this and try to shield, etc.

She's also very speedy, so make use of those clouds for field control and try to get your combo started while your opponent is busy playing footsies with the cloud. There's a lot of creative ways you can use the up smash to your advantage other than directly hitting them with the bolt.
Back to top Go down
Athorment

Athorment

Ganondorf
  Athorment

Ashley Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ashley Discussion   Ashley Discussion EmptyTue Oct 10, 2017 11:06 pm

While testing out the dev test build for 0.9.1 i came across a few ideas i wanted to share. Seeing as we all agreed on having her use more magic, i've come up with stuff that could benefit her new playstyle while giving her more variety in her tool kit to mix up opponents or force them into unfavorable situations once she is actually all set up.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
http://athorment.deviantart.com/
SP

cellularSP

Ashley Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ashley Discussion   Ashley Discussion EmptyTue Oct 31, 2017 9:46 pm

Ashley definitely needs a moveset revamp (at the very least), her current moveset is a mishmash of random stuff and there was no real playstyle in mind when it was developed (a counter was probably the worst idea)

if I were to suggest anything it would be to move away from the combo-heavy playstyle she has (theres already plenty of fast, combo-based characters) and move towards a more trap-based/status condition playstyle, which is much more in character for her in my opinion; she could keep the terribly short-range melee attacks and in exchange have access to powerful ranged attacks and be able to rack up damage with poison and such, and then utilize stun/sleep to get in close for the melee attacks to KO
Back to top Go down
Iron Joe
Level 2 CPU
Iron Joe

WarriorWare

Ashley Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ashley Discussion   Ashley Discussion EmptyThu Nov 02, 2017 5:31 pm

Did the update change her at all?
Back to top Go down
Alexander

Alexander

Fox
  KingTremolo

Ashley Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ashley Discussion   Ashley Discussion EmptyFri Nov 03, 2017 7:25 am

It did, yeah. I'm not sure the details, but there are a bunch of things, like thunder cloud setups now.
Back to top Go down
Iron Joe
Level 2 CPU
Iron Joe

WarriorWare

Ashley Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ashley Discussion   Ashley Discussion EmptyFri Nov 03, 2017 8:32 pm

What I've been told so far is that:

-Her aerials have been switched around
-Her Up Smash has a hitbox before the lightning strike
-Her Down Air has a projectile
-Her Side B is "more of a power-up than a projectile" and I have no idea what the person who told me that meant
Back to top Go down
Azure_Raven
Level 4 CPU

Mr. Game & Watch

Ashley Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ashley Discussion   Ashley Discussion EmptyWed Aug 22, 2018 2:39 pm

Would it be alright if I could leave a few suggestions as for some moveset changes?

In Game & Wario, in her minigame ASHLEY, I noticed two things that could be implemented/altered in Crusade. The first thing is that Ashley sits on her broom a bit different than what's in Crusade. Perhaps this could be changed? The second thing is that in the minigame, Ashley can loop upward or downward, and this could be implemented in Crusade with Ashley ending her recovery in an upward loop. This may result in the recovery move being altered for balancing purposes, however.

In the latest game, Warioware Gold, there's a minigame called Pumpkin Panic, which stars Ashley protecting a patch of pumpkins from mandrakes. Her attacks consist of shooting a spell that turns the enemies into pumpkins and kicking them into other enemies. Perhaps this can be implemented as a special or in one of her throws? For instance, if it becomes a side move, it temporarily turns an opponent into a pumpkin, which acts similar to Yoshi's egg state. The higher the damage, the longer they remain in pumpkin form, unless they escape or something attacks them. This could set Ashley for a combo. Otherwise, it could act as a throw, like Ashley turning the opponent into a pumpkin and kicking them away.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ashley Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ashley Discussion   Ashley Discussion Empty

Back to top Go down

Ashley Discussion
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1