HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Baby Mario & Baby Luigi (Yoshi's Island) Discussion: Not bad for a baby!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lego Shaq



  Petey Piranha
  1359

PostSubject: Baby Mario & Baby Luigi (Yoshi's Island) Discussion: Not bad for a baby!   Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:39 pm



DEBUT: Yoshi's Island, 1995
MOST RECENT APPEARANCE: Trophies in Super Smash Brothers 4, 2014

Baby Mario and Baby Luigi claimed the hearts of many gamers way back in 1995, where the objective of the game was to help Baby Mario save his brother, Baby Luigi, from the clutches of Kamek and his baddies.

Ever since then, they retain their protagonist status in Yoshi's Island and even had a main role in one of the Mario RPG games, Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time. They appear nonstop in the Mario Sports titles, especially the Mario Kart ones.

Most Mario fans love them. Sadly, some hate them. Is it because of their annoying cry? That may be the only explanation. Personally I find the cries unannoying! But anyway...

Smash-wise, many would think Baby Mario & Baby Luigi would just be Mario and Luigi clones. They wouldn't be. I'll get into that in a minute, but let me touch on why I keep referring to them collectively...

I think they would be like the Ice Climbers, as in they're a fighting duo. Not too complicated, they do the same moves and all, but it gets a bit deeper then that.

On another note, I think the two would be speedy light-weight characters, like in the Kart games.

Now, onto the moveset!



Normal Special: The two whip out their hammers. This move can be charged. Upon being unleashed, the brothers slam the hammer on the ground. If charged to the max, it does heavy damage and quakes the stage a bit.

Side Special: The two meld together and do a Spin Jump. Depending on how many times you tap the side special button, it gets more powerful and faster. It has a wind effect, though slightly. This move isn't possible for them to use in Partners in Time, but I think it to be fitting anyway.

Up Special: The brothers put on their little capes and they flap upward, like a parachute. Any opponents bumped into during this are hurt, mildly.

Down Special: The two turn into the Baby Drill. They dig into the ground and can move around, and upon coming up under or very close to an opponent, can stun them for a few seconds.


Side Smash: The two bring out a baseball bat (due to their appearance in both Baseball games) and swing forward. Rarely, they may use a tennis racket.

Down Smash: The two...cry! However, their tears have a large hitbox, but barely any knockback. If charged to the maximum smash power, however, it has quite a bit of knockback and damage.

Up Smash: Bring out a little Chain Chomp (referencing their Double Dash special item) and whip it upward and to the left and right. The Chain Chomp lunges out right when the move happens.


Grab Pummel: Both hop on the heads of their opponent.

Forward Throw: They go into ball form and slam into their opponent, throwing them forward.

Back Throw: Swing and slam their opponent backwards with their hammer.

Down Throw: The two go into drill form and hop on their enemy, drilling them into the ground.

Up Throw: The two hit their enemy with their hammers and swing their opponent upwards.


Final Smash: The babies don their cape (Baby Mario, in various Yoshi's Island games, has a superpower where he obtains a yellow cape and can run around and hit opponents.) and are given a huge boost in all stats. Think Wario-Man.

Another Final Smash could be their special item from Mario Kart: Double Dash, where they hop into a cart and a Chain Chomp makes the kart go wild, hitting all opponents in its erratic path.


As an end note, I don't think the two should be in before Bowser Jr and Paper Mario; but I think they'd be great after those two and maybe Daisy or Birdo. Really, they're one of the few worthy Mario reps left, having been with Nintendo for 20 years and major in the Yoshi series.

Hope you enjoyed my moveset. Would love comments.


Last edited by Lego Shaq on Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Naughty Ottsel
Level 5 CPU


  Captain Falcon
  285

PostSubject: Re: Baby Mario & Baby Luigi (Yoshi's Island) Discussion: Not bad for a baby!   Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:29 pm

This was a pretty good moveset, and, like Bowser Jr., goes to show that Mario characters can be totally unique. Cudos!

I support the Double Dash Final Smash more than the Super Cape, just because it seems more unique and potentially easier to control.

One problem though: this moveset has a built-in insta-win/insta-make-your-friends-hate-you: Down Smash.

You're right. The whole reason I (or anyone, really) hates these two is for that abominable shriek.

But support, nonetheless. As long as the crying is quieter than in the games. Or silent. Yeah, that's best for all. Silent crying. Yesss...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lego Shaq



  Petey Piranha
  1359

PostSubject: Re: Baby Mario & Baby Luigi (Yoshi's Island) Discussion: Not bad for a baby!   Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:43 pm

Naughty Ottsel wrote:
This was a pretty good moveset, and, like Bowser Jr., goes to show that Mario characters can be totally unique. Cudos!

I support the Double Dash Final Smash more than the Super Cape, just because it seems more unique and potentially easier to control.

One problem though: this moveset has a built-in insta-win/insta-make-your-friends-hate-you: Down Smash.

You're right. The whole reason I (or anyone, really) hates these two is for that abominable shriek.

But support, nonetheless. As long as the crying is quieter than in the games. Or silent. Yeah, that's best for all. Silent crying. Yesss...

Oh, but the crying is the fun part!

Thank you for the compliments! This is only my second thread (check out my Isabelle thread) for a character, thought I'm a longtime lurker.

I chose the Super Cape because I felt we could use what we could get from Yoshi's Island. That's their flagship series.

Thanks for enjoying my moveset. Hope we get more support to come.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OmegaSteve777
Level 7 CPU


  Gooey
  1319

PostSubject: Re: Baby Mario & Baby Luigi (Yoshi's Island) Discussion: Not bad for a baby!   Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:02 pm

I think the up special could be the babies using their capes.
Y'know the one where they use it like a parachute?
Yeah that one.
I like that idea.

Also, I only hate the babies when they haven't appeared in any other games besides Mario Kart.

I'm looking at you Baby Daisy and Baby Rosalina.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lego Shaq



  Petey Piranha
  1359

PostSubject: Re: Baby Mario & Baby Luigi (Yoshi's Island) Discussion: Not bad for a baby!   Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:19 am

OmegaSteve777 wrote:
I think the up special could be the babies using their capes.
Y'know the one where they use it like a parachute?
Yeah that one.
I like that idea.

Also, I only hate the babies when they haven't appeared in any other games besides Mario Kart.

I'm looking at you Baby Daisy and Baby Rosalina.
Great idea. The stork does seem a bit out of place. Will edit that in.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Crimson Heights
Level 4 CPU


  Geno
  191
  Hyperbeam Canon

PostSubject: Re: Baby Mario & Baby Luigi (Yoshi's Island) Discussion: Not bad for a baby!   Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:21 am

They could be Yoshi alts and both baby Mario and Luigi could have a different moveset. Make sure the yoshi alt has some swag on him

Yoshi's alternative costume at least. We're getting alt costumes later on, I hope.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slissith



  Bowser
  2215
  ( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)

PostSubject: Re: Baby Mario & Baby Luigi (Yoshi's Island) Discussion: Not bad for a baby!   Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:30 am

Baby mario and luigi couldn't be yoshi alts, because they are not the same character.

Costumes are disconfirmed.

Call me dream crusher.

_________________
Cobra Bubbles wrote:
Your expectations were too simple and downright stupid.
I mean really? "No character will have their testicles hang out"?
Thanks to you, I had to add two new rules.

VultureDuck wrote:
Crusade is a man's game

Jaklub wrote:
Post count ain't gonna raise itself.

Jaklub wrote:
this count down won't be uploaded to youtube, better enjoy it now.

Lego_Shaq wrote:
please dont think im actually racist

SmashBros._L0ver wrote:
fuck you slissith go to hell Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Roy
Level 7 CPU


  Mega Man
  1169
  RoyMaster4

PostSubject: Re: Baby Mario & Baby Luigi (Yoshi's Island) Discussion: Not bad for a baby!   Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:46 am

I like the idea... it's another Yoshi rep, and the baby duo is actually really common in spin-offs as well as in a M&L game.

However, I feel like it makes Ice Climbers less unique as a character. Is it possible to make a duo work differently? The main draw of Ice Climbers is both hitting at the same time and desynching for combos. What if the babies had a distinct way of controlling each separately? Say, you press forward and A to perform a tilt. If you press B within a couple frames after, Baby Luigi performs the attack, otherwise Baby Mario does it.

... that sounded less complicated in my head... maybe there's a better way of doing it...


Slissith wrote:
Costumes are disconfirmed.
What about hats?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slissith



  Bowser
  2215
  ( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)

PostSubject: Re: Baby Mario & Baby Luigi (Yoshi's Island) Discussion: Not bad for a baby!   Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:19 pm

Pretty sure hats are disconfirmed as well.

_________________
Cobra Bubbles wrote:
Your expectations were too simple and downright stupid.
I mean really? "No character will have their testicles hang out"?
Thanks to you, I had to add two new rules.

VultureDuck wrote:
Crusade is a man's game

Jaklub wrote:
Post count ain't gonna raise itself.

Jaklub wrote:
this count down won't be uploaded to youtube, better enjoy it now.

Lego_Shaq wrote:
please dont think im actually racist

SmashBros._L0ver wrote:
fuck you slissith go to hell Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lego Shaq



  Petey Piranha
  1359

PostSubject: Re: Baby Mario & Baby Luigi (Yoshi's Island) Discussion: Not bad for a baby!   Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:06 pm

Crimson Heights wrote:
They could be Yoshi alts and both baby Mario and Luigi could have a different moveset. Make sure the yoshi alt has some swag on him

Yoshi's alternative costume at least. We're getting alt costumes later on, I hope.
Uhmmm, I don't think so. Why would they only be alts, which aren't happening anyway?

Roy wrote:
I like the idea... it's another Yoshi rep, and the baby duo is actually really common in spin-offs as well as in a M&L game.

However, I feel like it makes Ice Climbers less unique as a character. Is it possible to make a duo work differently? The main draw of Ice Climbers is both hitting at the same time and desynching for combos. What if the babies had a distinct way of controlling each separately? Say, you press forward and A to perform a tilt. If you press B within a couple frames after, Baby Luigi performs the attack, otherwise Baby Mario does it.

... that sounded less complicated in my head... maybe there's a better way of doing it...


Slissith wrote:
Costumes are disconfirmed.
What about hats?
I'd count it more as a Mario rep, but whatever.

That would be a bit complicated to program, no? They're not detracting from the Ice Climbers; they're a whole different character.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smash King
Smash King


  8665
  EJ88201

PostSubject: Re: Baby Mario & Baby Luigi (Yoshi's Island) Discussion: Not bad for a baby!   Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:44 pm


This obviously will have to be a flat-out no for me, with all due respect to the presenter. Great efforts on the presentation itself first and foremost before I explain why I disagree.

Personally, I just think its a bad character choice. Sure, the babies are annoying since they cry, but Duck Hunt Dog is annoying when he laughs and Tingle is Tingle.

However, What bothers me about the babies to me is there is never no depth into their inclusions. Sure, they had appeared in the Yoshi's Island games as Yoshi's partner or reason to rescue. However, I think the fact that they are consistent in the Mario series as fillers for spin-off games turn me off. They come off as unnecessary clones to fill up space. I am a man of varieties and the whole baby thing takes that away for me. It only got worse after they made Baby Peach, Daisy, Wario, Rosalina, etc.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
TrinitroMan
Level 7 CPU


  1244

PostSubject: Re: Baby Mario & Baby Luigi (Yoshi's Island) Discussion: Not bad for a baby!   Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:57 am

At least they didn't made Baby Waluigi and Baby Toad yet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lego Shaq



  Petey Piranha
  1359

PostSubject: Re: Baby Mario & Baby Luigi (Yoshi's Island) Discussion: Not bad for a baby!   Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:58 pm

Smash King wrote:

This obviously will have to be a flat-out no for me, with all due respect to the presenter. Great efforts on the presentation itself first and foremost before I explain why I disagree.

Personally, I just think its a bad character choice. Sure, the babies are annoying since they cry, but Duck Hunt Dog is annoying when he laughs and Tingle is Tingle.

However, What bothers me about the babies to me is there is never no depth into their inclusions. Sure, they had appeared in the Yoshi's Island games as Yoshi's partner or reason to rescue. However, I think the fact that they are consistent in the Mario series as fillers for spin-off games turn me off. They come off as unnecessary clones to fill up space. I am a man of varieties and the whole baby thing takes that away for me. It only got worse after they made Baby Peach, Daisy, Wario, Rosalina, etc.

Not to be rude, but we're adding characters like Ristar, Gooey, Tingle (who I even main), and Goku...but you draw the line at the Babys?

They may be "fillers" but they are some of the most recurring characters in the spin-off games. This thread is not about the other babies, as everyone keeps seeming to assume, it's just about Baby Mario & Baby Luigi.

The two on their own have been main characters in various games. They're not very minor, even in sports games.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smash King
Smash King


  8665
  EJ88201

PostSubject: Re: Baby Mario & Baby Luigi (Yoshi's Island) Discussion: Not bad for a baby!   Sun Aug 09, 2015 3:33 pm


Ristar was added to Crusade prior to the current development team members being a part of the project. He was added cause one of the former devs wanted him in personally. Gooey was added due to sprite availability at the time by the former developers. Goku was also added by the former developers due to that whole illogical Smash fanboyism of having an anime character in. Tingle was added by the current developers to introduce a newcomer Zelda character that isn't a Smash vet and was popular at the time by the community.

Unlike the Babies, at least these mentioned characters are unique individuals from their respective series. The babies are simply recreations of existing characters with nothing special to them.

I never mentioned that I was ok with the likes of Gooey, Goku, and Ristar. Even I feel they shouldn't had been on the roster to be honest.

Some of the most recurring characters isn't a strong statement when 2/3 of the Mario series characters are reoccurring thanks to the spin-offs. Unless you are Geno, Wart, and to a minor extent Fawful. Hell, Koopa, Wiggler, etc. had appeared in many games as well.

I'm not assuming that you are suggesting the entire existing baby cast. I'm stating the idea of the baby versions of any character strongly disagrees with me. They are filler characters.

We have soo many Mario characters as it is. We have Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser, Toad, Geno, Petey, & Waluigi. That is 8, which doesn't include Rosalina & Bowser Jr. who fans probably would want due to Smash 4. All that is left after that is side and minor characters. So what can adding Baby Mario/Luigi do for us?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Braystar
Level 6 CPU


  Mario
  905
  N/A

PostSubject: Re: Baby Mario & Baby Luigi (Yoshi's Island) Discussion: Not bad for a baby!   Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:34 pm

Can I throw in some of my own specials? This was just how I imagined them:

Standard: Hammers: Baby Mario attacks forward, while at the back Baby Luigi does a sideways swing behind him and BM. This can be charged, but if it is charged for too long, it fails and does no damage

Side: Side Drill: From Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, this allows them to drill into the opposition, similar to Meta Knight's, but can't be angled.

Up: Spin Jump: B. Mario hops on B. Luigi and they twirl, flying into the air

Down: Ball Bros.: This move allows them to turn into a ball, and acts similar to Yoshi's Egg Rool, but slower, and if it hits, crushes the fighter. Once it hits the Babies rool out.

FS: The Stork comes down and picks up B. Luigi, and B. Mario grabs his cape and dashes forward, invincible and damages anyone who gets hit by him. He's also able to fly, but his speed is slower.

Not saying this is what you should use this, but just throwing what the Grey Matter has in storage
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lego Shaq



  Petey Piranha
  1359

PostSubject: Re: Baby Mario & Baby Luigi (Yoshi's Island) Discussion: Not bad for a baby!   Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:50 pm

Braystar wrote:
Can I throw in some of my own specials? This was just how I imagined them:

Standard: Hammers: Baby Mario attacks forward, while at the back Baby Luigi does a sideways swing behind him and BM. This can be charged, but if it is charged for too long, it fails and does no damage

Side: Side Drill: From Mario & Luigi: Dream Team, this allows them to drill into the opposition, similar to Meta Knight's, but can't be angled.

Up: Spin Jump: B. Mario hops on B. Luigi and they twirl, flying into the air

Down: Ball Bros.: This move allows them to turn into a ball, and acts similar to Yoshi's Egg Rool, but slower, and if it hits, crushes the fighter. Once it hits the Babies rool out.

FS: The Stork comes down and picks up B. Luigi, and B. Mario grabs his cape and dashes forward, invincible and damages anyone who gets hit by him. He's also able to fly, but his speed is slower.

Not saying this is what you should use this, but just throwing what the Grey Matter has in storage
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll definitely keep them in mind; I like the FS.

You haven't said you actually support them, but if you do, thank you!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Braystar
Level 6 CPU


  Mario
  905
  N/A

PostSubject: Re: Baby Mario & Baby Luigi (Yoshi's Island) Discussion: Not bad for a baby!   Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:03 pm

Oh Razz Yes! I support!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lego Shaq



  Petey Piranha
  1359

PostSubject: Re: Baby Mario & Baby Luigi (Yoshi's Island) Discussion: Not bad for a baby!   Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:03 am

Braystar wrote:
Oh Razz Yes! I support!
By the way, thanks for the support. What did you think of the presentation?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Braystar
Level 6 CPU


  Mario
  905
  N/A

PostSubject: Re: Baby Mario & Baby Luigi (Yoshi's Island) Discussion: Not bad for a baby!   Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:59 pm

[quote="Lego Shaq"][quote="Braystar"]Oh Razz Yes! I support![/quote]
By the way, thanks for the support. What did you think of the presentation?[/quote]

It's good. Still trying to muster the guts to show one of my character ideas.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Baby Mario & Baby Luigi (Yoshi's Island) Discussion: Not bad for a baby!   Today at 5:48 am

Back to top Go down
 
Baby Mario & Baby Luigi (Yoshi's Island) Discussion: Not bad for a baby!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Yoshi's Island [NES] Stage Idea
» The Lost Relic TC problems/help/discussions
» Mario Kart 8 Discussion/Rankings Thread
» Happy 126th Birthday Nintendo!
» Kamek (Yoshi's Island)

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 ::  :: Character Discussion :: Unofficial Characters-
Jump to:  
Free forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Free forum