Ristar Discussion

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Smash King
Smash King
Smash King

EJ88201

Ristar Discussion  Empty
PostSubject: Ristar Discussion    Ristar Discussion  EmptyThu Oct 02, 2014 2:22 pm

Discuss, share opinions, ideas, etc. about Ristar.
Back to top Go down
Tommyspud
Level 1 CPU
Tommyspud

Ristar Discussion  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ristar Discussion    Ristar Discussion  EmptyMon Oct 06, 2014 5:46 pm

I like Ristar as a whole.... but I think his final smash is pretty weak, considering it has barely any killing power that I've seen, and can only really hit one person, as others seem to just... you know, take chip damage.

Course, it might be just me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.zombspawn.com
SnivyKawaii
Level 6 CPU
SnivyKawaii

Snivy

Ristar Discussion  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ristar Discussion    Ristar Discussion  EmptySun Mar 22, 2015 3:56 pm

http://www.spriters-resource.com/genesis_32x_scd/ristar/sheet/12659/
Ristar should use their original sprites

for a new final smash:
Ristar leading opponents to a race track down a racing flag which then give way to vehicles that run over opponents
Back to top Go down
http://snivykawaii.tumblr.com/
TrinitroMan
Level 7 CPU
TrinitroMan

Ristar Discussion  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ristar Discussion    Ristar Discussion  EmptyMon Mar 23, 2015 6:35 am

Wait, I actually recognize that one.
It still may look random to other people, though.
Back to top Go down
hatchetfox
Level 1 CPU
hatchetfox

Ristar Discussion  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ristar Discussion    Ristar Discussion  EmptyMon Mar 23, 2015 9:26 pm

CJ wrote:
http://www.spriters-resource.com/genesis_32x_scd/ristar/sheet/12659/
Ristar should use their original sprites

for a new final smash:
Ristar leading opponents to a race track down a racing flag which then give way to vehicles that run over opponents

I agree about the original sprites.  His current sprites just don't look as detailed as his Genesis sprites.
Back to top Go down
SP

cellularSP

Ristar Discussion  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ristar Discussion    Ristar Discussion  EmptyTue Mar 24, 2015 5:23 am

Using the Genesis sprites would be like using the large Street Fighter sprites for Ryu and Chun-Li. By themselves they look good, but alongside the other characters they don't do the character justice as they would just look out of place.

Ristar needs to be redone entirely, with custom sprites.
Back to top Go down
TrinitroMan
Level 7 CPU
TrinitroMan

Ristar Discussion  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ristar Discussion    Ristar Discussion  EmptyTue Mar 24, 2015 8:46 am

What about the Ristar sprites in the style of Sonic Advance/Battle? Maybe they could work, since Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Shadow use their Sonic Advance/Battle sprites as well.
Back to top Go down
SP

cellularSP

Ristar Discussion  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ristar Discussion    Ristar Discussion  EmptyTue Mar 24, 2015 9:52 am

Ristar's current sprites are actually from a custom sheet that was made in the style of Sonic Battle. Technically, Ristar already does match them. His animations are just lower quality compared to the Sonic characters.
Back to top Go down
TaXMaN
Level 6 CPU
TaXMaN

PAC-MAN

Ristar Discussion  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ristar Discussion    Ristar Discussion  EmptySat May 14, 2016 3:06 pm

Just an idea I had for a new Final Smash:

Ristar still uses the Star Pole at the start of his FS. He swings around it several times picking up speed until he lets go. He now rockets through the air at incredible speeds, dealing massive damage and knockback to anyone that he flies into. The player has, although limited, control over Ristar and can slightly change his direction. Ristar will bounce off the current stage's blast lines, thus changing his direction. Ristar gradually loses speed as times passes and after about 15 seconds he will slowdown to a stop, ending his Final Smash. While in his FS state, Ristar passes through platforms regardless if they're solid or not.
Back to top Go down
King Proto
Level 5 CPU
King Proto

ProtoBlur

Ristar Discussion  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ristar Discussion    Ristar Discussion  EmptySat May 14, 2016 5:24 pm

Thats a really neat idea Tax!
Back to top Go down
OmegaSteve777
Level 8 CPU
OmegaSteve777

Gooey

Ristar Discussion  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ristar Discussion    Ristar Discussion  EmptySat May 14, 2016 6:18 pm

that's way better than the one we have now, might be kinda op but we shouldn't worry about that.
Back to top Go down
Xalciss
Level 4 CPU
Xalciss

Ness

Ristar Discussion  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ristar Discussion    Ristar Discussion  EmptyTue Oct 11, 2016 12:14 pm

Taxman that's a sexy idea, bumping this so other's can see
Maybe it can be added as an alternate because I do find Ristar's current final smash very satisfying lol
All it needs to do is to have better reach and capture multiple people at once (the current one I mean)

Back to top Go down
buildglines
Level 1 CPU
buildglines

N/A

Ristar Discussion  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ristar Discussion    Ristar Discussion  EmptyTue Jan 03, 2017 12:06 pm

Ristar is a fun character to play but he doesn't get much appreciation.
Back to top Go down
Iron Joe
Level 2 CPU
Iron Joe

WarriorWare

Ristar Discussion  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ristar Discussion    Ristar Discussion  EmptyTue May 02, 2017 10:31 pm

Having played and obviously adored Ristar pretty recently, I feel like there is room for improvement in Ristar's moveset but I'm not sure where to start. Making the up B work more like it does in the game might sound nice in my head, but it could cause one to accidentally launch himself downward when trying to recover.

The taunt is pretty lame. A generic flip? Dude's got personality running out of his...uh...He's got a lot of personality. The frowny thumbs-up, the victory dance, that animation that plays when you try to grab a really cold wall, showing off one of the Treasures, his many idle animations from different levels, these taunts just write themselves. Also, "C'mon!" > that weird out-of-place Terminator quote from the ending. How does he even know that reference? He's a day old!

I get that everything but that last part is due to sprite limitations, though. That smells.

If only there was some way to incorporate long-range grabbing in multiple directions, as is the entire gimmick of Ristar...I'm not sure if there really is unless you wanna make the guy really gimmicky.

I also can't figure out what's going on in his back throw for the life of me.
Back to top Go down
Nix~
Level 4 CPU
Nix~

N/A

Ristar Discussion  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ristar Discussion    Ristar Discussion  EmptyWed May 03, 2017 7:58 am

Iron Joe wrote:
Having played and obviously adored Ristar pretty recently, I feel like there is room for improvement in Ristar's moveset but I'm not sure where to start. Making the up B work more like it does in the game might sound nice in my head, but it could cause one to accidentally launch himself downward when trying to recover.

The taunt is pretty lame. A generic flip? Dude's got personality running out of his...uh...He's got a lot of personality. The frowny thumbs-up, the victory dance, that animation that plays when you try to grab a really cold wall, showing off one of the Treasures, his many idle animations from different levels, these taunts just write themselves. Also, "C'mon!" > that weird out-of-place Terminator quote from the ending. How does he even know that reference? He's a day old!

I get that everything but that last part is due to sprite limitations, though. That smells.

If only there was some way to incorporate long-range grabbing in multiple directions, as is the entire gimmick of Ristar...I'm not sure if there really is unless you wanna make the guy really gimmicky.

I also can't figure out what's going on in his back throw for the life of me.

I like your up b idea. Makes it harder to use, like Ness'. I actually think Ristar needs a nerf right now.

As for the grabbing.....That's definitely possible. His neutral b should be omnidirectional, and there is another move in the game that works like this: Gooey's neutral b.
Back to top Go down
Iron Joe
Level 2 CPU
Iron Joe

WarriorWare

Ristar Discussion  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ristar Discussion    Ristar Discussion  EmptyWed May 03, 2017 9:05 am

A nerf? Dude's B tier, isn't he? Can't say I've seen him dominating any tournaments, but maybe I just haven't been watching enough tournaments.

'Course, I'm super casual with this game, only listing Ristar as my main because he's fresh on my mind, so what exactly is it that makes him good or bad or whatever?
Back to top Go down
Nix~
Level 4 CPU
Nix~

N/A

Ristar Discussion  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ristar Discussion    Ristar Discussion  EmptyWed May 03, 2017 1:34 pm

Iron Joe wrote:
A nerf? Dude's B tier, isn't he? Can't say I've seen him dominating any tournaments, but maybe I just haven't been watching enough tournaments.

'Course, I'm super casual with this game, only listing Ristar as my main because he's fresh on my mind, so what exactly is it that makes him good or bad or whatever?
First off, it's hard to tell the tiers in a game where no tournaments happen, and the ones that do don't hold a lot of skill. The tier lists that exist (even mine, the most recent one) are outdated and don't reflect how more characters have progressed recently. I know a guy who's really good at Ristar and bumped him up a few spots singlehandedly.

As for Ristar himself, his hitxboxes are a bit wonky. Due to crappy animation, it's hard to tell where exactly his hitboxes are and what they do, but if you really study the framedata it's a bit shoddy there too. A lot of his moves look unfinished and rushed (nair especially, that thing is just ugly and is unpredictable). However, his moves are fast, have lots of range, and cover a wide range. Fsmash covers every single recovery option except super high and a sweetspot to ledge. His aerials are all formidable. His best tool by far though is his grab range. It's so fast and so long, you're totally safe throwing it out from miles away. He also has a long range command grab in the air and an impeccable if somewhat predictable recovery. He's very viable and fighting a good Ristar feels like abuse.
Back to top Go down
Iron Joe
Level 2 CPU
Iron Joe

WarriorWare

Ristar Discussion  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ristar Discussion    Ristar Discussion  EmptyWed May 03, 2017 8:43 pm

Huh. Some of those things you said are pretty neat, and some aren't. I wonder if there are any good videos for Ristar gameplay, or that of anyone else.

I wish I could get Joy2Key to work so that I could consistently use Smash attacks. His FSmash does look pretty good whenever I manage to actually use it.

I just realized that a golden opportunity has been passed up by not giving Ristar an orange alt with blue shoes, to resemble Don Patch.

Took me a while to realize that Ristar has a Z-air, which sends the target behind him. That's interesting! I bet if I were good, I could take folks off-stage with that.
Back to top Go down
Kyro
Level 1 CPU
Kyro

Ristar Discussion  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ristar Discussion    Ristar Discussion  EmptySun May 07, 2017 4:50 am

A big problem with Ristar is that he has a crapload of disjoints and an extremely safe combo game. His zair, neutral b, and grab are the most obvious examples of his extreme range and safety. Not only do his stretched arms not have any hurtboxes, but they are all so long ranged that Ristar can be very hard to punish at times. To make things even worse, zair auto cancels, making it an extremely safe approach and spacing option. Furthermore, zair can reliably lead to many follow ups, with dsmash being the best option most of the time, functioning as both an easy damage racking move and an excellent kill option, especially since dsmash cannot be SDI'd out of for some reason.

However, due to his low mobility and heavy reliance on his grab and zair gimmicks, I still don't see him in A or above. If you know how Ristar plays, I think it is very possible to play around him as long as you aren't playing a character he can too easily abuse. He is definitely a B+ in my mind though.
Back to top Go down
Iron Joe
Level 2 CPU
Iron Joe

WarriorWare

Ristar Discussion  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ristar Discussion    Ristar Discussion  EmptyFri Nov 03, 2017 8:35 pm

A'right, the main change I noticed with the update is that it removed his Zair, which I've been told is pretty broken and my casual self loved using it so maybe they were right. I've been told on the Discord that he has some new combos but I have no idea what they are.

Did his neutral B always make the canon sound effects? If not, that's a nice new touch, and if so, it always has been and I somehow haven't noticed. That jump sound effect is still weird tho.
Back to top Go down
Walt Phillarson
Level 2 CPU
Walt Phillarson

Klonoa

Ristar Discussion  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ristar Discussion    Ristar Discussion  EmptyWed Oct 23, 2019 5:51 pm

Sorry, what was his Z-Air? I really don't remember, and I'm really curious.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ristar Discussion  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ristar Discussion    Ristar Discussion  Empty

Back to top Go down

Ristar Discussion
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1