"Error: Cannot read game file"

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Munkeeman
Level 2 CPU
Munkeeman

munkeeman10

"Error: Cannot read game file" Empty
PostSubject: "Error: Cannot read game file"   "Error: Cannot read game file" EmptyFri Aug 05, 2016 10:49 am

I downloaded Super Smash Bros. Crusade using the exact steps from Muah's tutorial. I downloaded it from GameJolt, extracted it into a folder, and all seemed well. Until I tried to open "CrusadePatch2.exe" which I assume is supposed to be the game. When I attempted to open it, a window came up reading "Error: Cannot read game file". I really have no idea what's going on here, could someone PLEASE help me? I really want to play this!

EDIT: If you're wondering why I have my main set to Ashley when I've been unable to play the game, it's because I plan to main Ashley when I figure out how to get the game working. Smile
Back to top Go down
wheeled_tank
Level 6 CPU
wheeled_tank

Phoenix Wright
  wheeled_tank

PostSubject: Re: "Error: Cannot read game file"   "Error: Cannot read game file" EmptyFri Aug 05, 2016 10:57 am

Pulled straight from the Read Me:

"If the game is not running on startup and giving you an error message, first try restarting your computer. If this keeps happening, you likely do not have the latest DirectX or graphics drivers installed."

Otherwise, I would try and download it again
Back to top Go down
Munkeeman
Level 2 CPU
Munkeeman

munkeeman10

PostSubject: Re: "Error: Cannot read game file"   "Error: Cannot read game file" EmptyFri Aug 05, 2016 10:59 am

wheeled_tank wrote:
Pulled straight from the Read Me:

"If the game is not running on startup and giving you an error message, first try restarting your computer. If this keeps happening, you likely do not have the latest DirectX or graphics drivers installed."

Otherwise, I would try and download it again

I've already tried re-downloading it, so I guess I'll try restarting my computer. Thanks for the help. Smile
Back to top Go down
Munkeeman
Level 2 CPU
Munkeeman

munkeeman10

PostSubject: Re: "Error: Cannot read game file"   "Error: Cannot read game file" EmptyFri Aug 05, 2016 11:10 am

I restarted my computer, no dice. I also checked and found that I have DirectX 12, so that most likely isn't the problem. Could it have something to do with the fact that I'm on Windows 10?
Back to top Go down
wheeled_tank
Level 6 CPU
wheeled_tank

Phoenix Wright
  wheeled_tank

PostSubject: Re: "Error: Cannot read game file"   "Error: Cannot read game file" EmptyFri Aug 05, 2016 12:05 pm

Only problem I have with Windows 10 is it says it is missing a file, but skipping the instalation fixes that problem. I'll be more in depth when I'm back home
Back to top Go down
Munkeeman
Level 2 CPU
Munkeeman

munkeeman10

PostSubject: Re: "Error: Cannot read game file"   "Error: Cannot read game file" EmptyFri Aug 05, 2016 12:32 pm

For me, there's no installation. I just click on the .exe file, it asks me if I want this program to make changes to my computer, normal stuff, and then the error pops up shortly after I click Yes. Someone in the comments section of Muah's tutorial video, someone mentioned something called a "printer default". Do you have any idea what that means?
Back to top Go down
wheeled_tank
Level 6 CPU
wheeled_tank

Phoenix Wright
  wheeled_tank

PostSubject: Re: "Error: Cannot read game file"   "Error: Cannot read game file" EmptyFri Aug 05, 2016 12:47 pm

When I open Crusade, I get this prompt
Spoiler:
What I do is click "Skip this Installation" and it works just fine. The "Default Printer" errors are caused by the computer not having any printer set as its default printer. If nothing is set as the "Default" printer, some applications stop working (Starbound is known to do this, and I was about to mention this earlier)
Back to top Go down
Munkeeman
Level 2 CPU
Munkeeman

munkeeman10

PostSubject: Re: "Error: Cannot read game file"   "Error: Cannot read game file" EmptyFri Aug 05, 2016 1:23 pm

That screen never comes up for me. It just goes to the regular "Do you want to allow this program to make changes to your computer" screen, I click Yes, and then this comes up almost immediately after.
"Error: Cannot read game file" A348d410
Back to top Go down
Xalciss
Level 4 CPU
Xalciss

Ness

PostSubject: Re: "Error: Cannot read game file"   "Error: Cannot read game file" EmptyFri Aug 19, 2016 9:52 pm

https://i.servimg.com/u/f35/19/52/88/59/helpfo10.png

Here is your answer, had this issue after updating windows.

Just select a printer from control panel and set it as default.
Back to top Go down
drh4kor
Level 1 CPU

N/A

PostSubject: Re: "Error: Cannot read game file"   "Error: Cannot read game file" EmptyFri Aug 04, 2017 8:53 pm

Hello. I signed up just to respond to this issue as Windows 10 is causing havoc everywhere.  

The internal security settings of Windows is preventing the executable from running the game properly.
Windows 10 detects files names with 'patch', 'updater','installer' and such and puts them in a security sandbox.

Simply rename the file without using the word "patch" and done.  I renamed mine to "Crusade.exe" and the UAC icon shield was removed and admin password is no longer required.

Running DirectX 12. Win 10, Intel Core i3.
Hope this helps others on Windows 10.

Happy Gaming! Cool
Back to top Go down
scipion3
Level 1 CPU

N/A

PostSubject: Re: "Error: Cannot read game file"   "Error: Cannot read game file" EmptySat Sep 16, 2017 2:40 am

I have the same problemI try to rename the files but it doesn't work at all
Can someone help?
Back to top Go down
Captain Berzerk
Level 4 CPU
Captain Berzerk

Krystal
  20GX_Berzerk

PostSubject: Re: "Error: Cannot read game file"   "Error: Cannot read game file" EmptyFri Sep 22, 2017 7:44 pm

u have to set ur default Printer in ur system settings, yes its weird but it works
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: "Error: Cannot read game file"   "Error: Cannot read game file" Empty

Back to top Go down

"Error: Cannot read game file"
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1