Alternate Forms Suggestion: A slight change in mindset

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jexulus
Level 3 CPU
Jexulus

Jexulus

Alternate Forms Suggestion: A slight change in mindset Empty
PostSubject: Alternate Forms Suggestion: A slight change in mindset   Alternate Forms Suggestion: A slight change in mindset EmptyTue May 24, 2016 11:18 am

So, I realize that alternate forms were just announced two months ago, but I do have a small critique: they're rather uncreative, despite the concept itself being creative. "Aura" and "No Aura" aren't very exciting, just like "Spread" and "Tipper". And a solo option for Ice Climbers?

The common thread I'm noticing here is "subtraction;" that is, the alternate forms subtract from what makes the fighters unique (I realize "Spread" is to emulate Lucina, and it isn't a terrible idea, just not very creative). At the same time, I understand what alternate forms are supposed to be: a way to change mechanics and playstyles without having to make all-new sprites. A low-budget solution to a potentially high-budget dilemma.

I think I have a suggestion that might help: base the alternate forms off of something from that character's canon world and abilities, rather than strictly gameplay. It solves the problem of uncreative and unappealing alternate forms and adds to the character instead of subtracting.

Here's an example I was thinking of for Lucario: instead of No Aura, let's shift in the other direction and use Life Orb? In the Pokemon games, the Life Orb boosts the holder's power universally by 30% (a useful increase in the Pokemon games), at the cost of a percentage of your HP every time you use a move.

How does that apply in Crusade? A modest boost in power throughout his entire kit, at the cost of recoil damage with every move he uses. This works to his benefit and helps him reach higher levels of Aura faster, but makes being hit even more of a risk. This facilitates a new playstyle for Lucario, but instead of subtracting, it adds to what makes him unique!

I'd really like to see what the rest of you think about this. Do you like the alternate forms so far? Why or why not?
Back to top Go down
SP

cellularSP

PostSubject: Re: Alternate Forms Suggestion: A slight change in mindset   Alternate Forms Suggestion: A slight change in mindset EmptyTue May 24, 2016 11:35 am

"choice band lucario: can only use the first attack used until KO'd, but has 50% more power and knockback"

joking aside, I didn't really think of it as subtracting, but now that you mention it, it does make sense and sort of makes it feel less than cool

thanks for your input
Back to top Go down
wheeled_tank
Level 6 CPU
wheeled_tank

Phoenix Wright
  wheeled_tank

PostSubject: Re: Alternate Forms Suggestion: A slight change in mindset   Alternate Forms Suggestion: A slight change in mindset EmptyTue May 24, 2016 11:57 am

Fair points (I actually use Solo-Climber in Project M, so I am excited to see it in Crusade).

That being said, you said it perfectly; they're cheap, though relatively effective ways to change the character's playstyle. More creative forms could be added later, but for now, the basic changes are good enough.
Back to top Go down
Roy
Level 7 CPU
Roy

RoyMaster4

PostSubject: Re: Alternate Forms Suggestion: A slight change in mindset   Alternate Forms Suggestion: A slight change in mindset EmptyTue May 24, 2016 12:05 pm

I think the point of the 'alternate forms' is more a way to have gimmick-less characters. I know that kind of ruins the point of some characters (like Lucario and Ice Climbers) but makes the character more accessible. I feel like it would be extended to future characters (Rosalina without Luma, Robin with infinite usage weapons, etc).

Your gimmicky characters are still there, but this just gives an option for people who want more consistency.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, wouldn't Olimar fall under this category as well? Not sure how to work around that, though.
Back to top Go down
wheeled_tank
Level 6 CPU
wheeled_tank

Phoenix Wright
  wheeled_tank

PostSubject: Re: Alternate Forms Suggestion: A slight change in mindset   Alternate Forms Suggestion: A slight change in mindset EmptyTue May 24, 2016 12:15 pm

Maybe make all of Olimar's Pikmin have the same qualities or give Olimar only one kind of Pikmin.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Alternate Forms Suggestion: A slight change in mindset   Alternate Forms Suggestion: A slight change in mindset Empty

Back to top Go down

Alternate Forms Suggestion: A slight change in mindset
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1