Adventure Square (Adventure) Discussion

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
OmegaSteve777
Level 8 CPU
OmegaSteve777

Gooey

Adventure Square (Adventure) Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Adventure Square (Adventure) Discussion   Adventure Square (Adventure) Discussion EmptyFri Mar 11, 2016 6:06 pm

Adventure Square (Adventure) Discussion Adventure_small

Who is this square? Why only the hero of the Atari game Adventure? Although not much is known of him, what we do know is that he fights dragons and bats with a sword, opens doors with keys, and wants to find the magical chalice and return it to the golden castle. In Smash Bros. he would be similar to Mr. Game & Watch, choppily animated and most every move references a game. Although there are other possible Atari choices, the best one that I could think of the Adventure Square and Paperboy (and maybe Centipede). Adventure Square seemed like the most plausible way to represent more than one Atari game.

Standard Attacks
Neutral: Quickly stabs with his sword. (Adventure)
Side Tilt: Becomes a tank and shoots (Battlezone)
Up Tilt: A Bat flys above the Square (Adventure)
Down Tilt: A crocodile bites right under the Square (Pitfall!)

Smash Attacks
Side Smash: The Square turns into the guy from Joust and Jousts (Joust)
Up Smash: Some missiles explode above the Square (Missile Control)
Down Smash: The Centipede comes from under the Square and will crawl around the ground similarly how he does in his game. He acts as a projectile (Centipede)

Aerial Attacks
Neutral Aerial: A key spins around the Square (Adventure)
Forward Aerial: Shoots a laser (Defender)
Back Aerial: Becomes the ship from Yars' Revenge and shoots (Yars' Revenge)
Up Aerial: The Square becomes a Tic-Tac-Toe board (3-D Tic-Tac-Toe)
Down Aerial: The Square drops a bomb (Kaboom!)

Grabs
Pummel: The Square becomes one of the weird morphing walls from Gotcha, albeit he morphs a bit faster for this attack. (Gotcha)
Forward Throw: A monster from Rampage punches the opponent very hard (Rampage)
Back Throw: The opponent is thrown backward and gets hit by an alien from Galaxian (Galaxian)
Up Throw: A Space Invader shoots the opponent (Space Invaders)
Down Throw: The Opponent bounces off the block from Breakout (Breakout)

Specials
Neutral Special: Comparible to Duck Hunt's Zigzag Shot, the Square summons one of the blocks from Pong to hit a "ball" (It's actually a square). Every time you press the special button, a block will bounce the "ball" so it goes in the opposite direction. (Pong)
Side Special: The Square becomes the car from Pole Position, it does little damage or knockback, but is a faster way of getting around due to the Square's slow speed. (Pole Position)
Up Special: The Square becomes the Ship from Asteroids and flies around. You can shoot if you press the special button. It controls much like it does in the original game, so it's kind of hard to control. This attack lasts 5-6 seconds. (Asteroids)
Down Special: The Square summons Evil Otto who works much like in his games. He bounces really fast (but doesn't really cover much ground) and doesn't lose much speed while bouncing. He will try to home in on opponents, but can be easily avoided because of his slow speed. He doesn't last very long, but could be used as a strong projectile. (Berzerk)
Final Smash: One of the Dragons from Adventure comes and chases your opponents. (It's not very complicated but the Dragon needed to be the Final Smash come on) (Adventure)

Support List
Kzinssie
SS_Maeweather
Chaotic Chao
Lego Shaq
wheeled_tank

Last edited by OmegaSteve777 on Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:00 pm; edited 7 times in total
Back to top Go down
Lego Shaq

Lego Shaq

Geno

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Square (Adventure) Discussion   Adventure Square (Adventure) Discussion EmptyFri Mar 11, 2016 7:34 pm

Really outdid Grandma

Wow...uh. Man. This is really..I'll try to give some feedback.

First off, you need to complete the moveset; then I'll fully comment on it. But I do really like the moveset; it's a bit like Mr. Game & Watch, and I like that. It's very original and fun and you obviously did your research.

The character..what the hell? Not in a bad way, just, wow. The problem is he is literally just a square. He's not distinguishable as an Atari character, and I think only an Atari pro would recognize this guy. While an Atari rep is a great idea, I feel Paperboy would be just fine. He's distinguishable enough and I don't see why he cant just rep Atari. Also, I don't get why Square is a better choice then Paperboy if they both only star in one game.

I do think this would be the most shocking character on Crusade's roster, yes even counting Weegee. He could be very fun. But, I need some arguments on to how he's better then Paperboy.

Considering support.
Back to top Go down
SP

cellularSP

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Square (Adventure) Discussion   Adventure Square (Adventure) Discussion EmptyFri Mar 11, 2016 7:49 pm

Pitfall Harry or bust
Back to top Go down
OmegaSteve777
Level 8 CPU
OmegaSteve777

Gooey

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Square (Adventure) Discussion   Adventure Square (Adventure) Discussion EmptyFri Mar 11, 2016 8:02 pm

I imagine Paperboy being more like the Excitebiker, always on a bike and doesn't get off. The Square is a little bit more crazy because of how simple he is. In other words it's more plausible for an 8-Bit square to summon an 8-Bit Crocodile than a Paperboy.

That might sound off and I'm sorry if that's the case, I'm kinda tired
Back to top Go down
Lego Shaq

Lego Shaq

Geno

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Square (Adventure) Discussion   Adventure Square (Adventure) Discussion EmptyFri Mar 11, 2016 8:27 pm

OmegaSteve777 wrote:
I imagine Paperboy being more like the Excitebiker, always on a bike and doesn't get off. The Square is a little bit more crazy because of how simple he is. In other words it's more plausible for an 8-Bit square to summon an 8-Bit Crocodile than a Paperboy.

That might sound off and I'm sorry if that's the case, I'm kinda tired
I understand what you mean. I don't think he'd NEED to be like that though, I'm sure he can get off the bike sometimes. Even if he can't, I think he could do a ton of stuff on the bike as well. I can't really see what you mean with that last statement.
Back to top Go down
OmegaSteve777
Level 8 CPU
OmegaSteve777

Gooey

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Square (Adventure) Discussion   Adventure Square (Adventure) Discussion EmptyFri Mar 11, 2016 8:32 pm

I was trying to say that Square is so simple and lacking in any character that he can do anything and you'd be like "Oh ok, yeah that makes sense." While the same wouldn't apply to Paperboy
Back to top Go down
Lego Shaq

Lego Shaq

Geno

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Square (Adventure) Discussion   Adventure Square (Adventure) Discussion EmptyFri Mar 11, 2016 8:36 pm

OmegaSteve777 wrote:
I was trying to say that Square is so simple and lacking in any character that he can do anything and you'd be like "Oh ok, yeah that makes sense." While the same wouldn't apply to Paperboy
Good point, but Duck Hunt has a lot of character and summons a gunman.
Back to top Go down
OmegaSteve777
Level 8 CPU
OmegaSteve777

Gooey

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Square (Adventure) Discussion   Adventure Square (Adventure) Discussion EmptyFri Mar 11, 2016 9:12 pm

Another reason is because the Square is repping games on the Atari 2600 while Paperboy didn't appear until the NES
Back to top Go down
TrinitroMan
Level 7 CPU
TrinitroMan

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Square (Adventure) Discussion   Adventure Square (Adventure) Discussion EmptySat Mar 12, 2016 12:01 pm

Lego Shaq wrote:
OmegaSteve777 wrote:
So "laughing at the player for failing hard" is suddenly considered "having a lot of character"? Oh, okay.
Back to top Go down
TaXMaN
Level 6 CPU
TaXMaN

PAC-MAN

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Square (Adventure) Discussion   Adventure Square (Adventure) Discussion EmptySat Mar 12, 2016 12:27 pm

TrinitroMan wrote:
Lego Shaq wrote:
OmegaSteve777 wrote:
So "laughing at the player for failing hard" is suddenly considered "having a lot of character"? Oh, okay.
Compared to a square, yes.
Back to top Go down
TrinitroMan
Level 7 CPU
TrinitroMan

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Square (Adventure) Discussion   Adventure Square (Adventure) Discussion EmptySat Mar 12, 2016 12:30 pm

TaXMaN wrote:
TrinitroMan wrote:
Lego Shaq wrote:
OmegaSteve777 wrote:
Compared to a square, yes.
Okay, I'll give you that one.
Back to top Go down
Kzinssie
Level 5 CPU
Kzinssie

Shadow
  slothfulunchmeat

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Square (Adventure) Discussion   Adventure Square (Adventure) Discussion EmptySun Mar 13, 2016 12:52 pm

I love the idea of having just a square as a character. Moveset looks good too. Absolutely support.
Back to top Go down
OmegaSteve777
Level 8 CPU
OmegaSteve777

Gooey

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Square (Adventure) Discussion   Adventure Square (Adventure) Discussion EmptySun Mar 13, 2016 1:14 pm

The moveset is finished now

So now you can give thoughts on what is amazing and what is dumb and should be changed.
Back to top Go down
King Proto
Level 5 CPU
King Proto

ProtoBlur

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Square (Adventure) Discussion   Adventure Square (Adventure) Discussion EmptySun Mar 13, 2016 2:23 pm

This is really cool! I love characters who are unique and AS sounds really unique in both from what I could imagine in my head and in play style. Most likely the best part about AS is that he would be really easy to sprite! I also love how you chose to rep. other Atari era games with him. I remember a lot of those games from when I was a kid.

Defiantly support cheers
Back to top Go down
Chaotic Chao
Level 4 CPU
Chaotic Chao

Phoenix Wright
  ChaotixChao

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Square (Adventure) Discussion   Adventure Square (Adventure) Discussion EmptySun Mar 13, 2016 3:24 pm

Heheh, you know, Adventure's always been one of my favorite ancient Atari classics, and the thought of playing as that same simple square is just too good. Support.
Back to top Go down
OmegaSteve777
Level 8 CPU
OmegaSteve777

Gooey

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Square (Adventure) Discussion   Adventure Square (Adventure) Discussion EmptySun Mar 13, 2016 3:46 pm

Thanks for all of the support guys! Here's hoping for more!
Back to top Go down
Lego Shaq

Lego Shaq

Geno

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Square (Adventure) Discussion   Adventure Square (Adventure) Discussion EmptySun Mar 13, 2016 4:47 pm

Eh, no point not to

Support
Back to top Go down
wheeled_tank
Level 6 CPU
wheeled_tank

Phoenix Wright
  wheeled_tank

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Square (Adventure) Discussion   Adventure Square (Adventure) Discussion EmptySat Sep 10, 2016 8:07 am

I can't remember if I played Adventure or an Intellavision copy (all I remember is that the plug-and-play console had Utopia on it), but it was enjoyable enough, and having another character to represent an entire system would be nice. Support
Back to top Go down
OmegaSteve777
Level 8 CPU
OmegaSteve777

Gooey

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Square (Adventure) Discussion   Adventure Square (Adventure) Discussion EmptySat Sep 10, 2016 4:01 pm

Much appreciated
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Adventure Square (Adventure) Discussion   Adventure Square (Adventure) Discussion Empty

Back to top Go down

Adventure Square (Adventure) Discussion
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1