Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Smash King
Smash King
Smash King

EJ88201

Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion   Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion EmptyThu Oct 02, 2014 12:24 am

Discuss, share opinions, ideas, etc. about Captain Olimar & Pikmin.
Back to top Go down
Shiruza
Level 5 CPU
Shiruza

PostSubject: Re: Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion   Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion EmptySat Nov 15, 2014 9:49 am

So D-Spec doesn't work...

(I also find it hilarious how you've somehow worked in better Pikmin AI than in Smash 3DS. : P )
Back to top Go down
OmegaSteve777
Level 8 CPU
OmegaSteve777

Gooey

PostSubject: Re: Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion   Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion EmptySat Jul 18, 2015 2:02 am

I think Olimar needs to be a bit brighter in his palette, he seems a bit slimy...
Back to top Go down
HypeConduit
Level 6 CPU
HypeConduit

Klonoa
  XMister_RatburnX

PostSubject: Re: Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion   Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion EmptySat Jul 18, 2015 1:25 pm

Oh yeah, something me and my friend actually noticed last time we had our normal round of Crusade rounds is that the purple Pikmin attach (and do no significant damage). I really hope this isn't intentional.

Also, Shiruza, do you mean that the D-Spec isn't cycling through the Pikmin? Because that should be working. As for the callback function of Olimar's D-Spec, it's not really here thanks to the nature of the Pikmin of this game.
Back to top Go down
Shiruza
Level 5 CPU
Shiruza

PostSubject: Re: Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion   Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion EmptySun Jul 19, 2015 1:49 pm

HypeConduit wrote:
Oh yeah, something me and my friend actually noticed last time we had our normal round of Crusade rounds is that the purple Pikmin attach (and do no significant damage). I really hope this isn't intentional.

Also, Shiruza, do you mean that the D-Spec isn't cycling through the Pikmin? Because that should be working. As for the callback function of Olimar's D-Spec, it's not really here thanks to the nature of the Pikmin of this game.

I realize the cycling function works, yes, I'm mainly concerned about the callback function not making an appearance. You make it sound like a deliberate decision; why was this removed? It was incredibly useful.
Back to top Go down
Smash King
Smash King
Smash King

EJ88201

PostSubject: Re: Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion   Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion EmptyThu Jul 23, 2015 10:26 pm

If Rock Pikmin were to ever be featured in Crusade, how should they be implemented into Olimar's moveset?
Back to top Go down
OmegaSteve777
Level 8 CPU
OmegaSteve777

Gooey

PostSubject: Re: Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion   Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion EmptyThu Jul 23, 2015 10:42 pm

they bounce off a what they hit and can get hit everywhere like some sort of heavy bouncy ball
Back to top Go down
Smash King
Smash King
Smash King

EJ88201

PostSubject: Re: Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion   Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion EmptyFri Jul 24, 2015 12:57 am

Maybe we can switch those physics between the Purple Pikmin and the Rock Pikmin. I suggest this cause the Purple one is fat while Rock is more solid. So why not make purple bounce while rock launch opponents. We can add the Rock between Purple and Red
Back to top Go down
OmegaSteve777
Level 8 CPU
OmegaSteve777

Gooey

PostSubject: Re: Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion   Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion EmptyFri Jul 24, 2015 12:59 am

Purples land on the enemies really fast

Rock Pikmin bounce off of enemies

So...no
Back to top Go down
Smash King
Smash King
Smash King

EJ88201

PostSubject: Re: Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion   Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion EmptyFri Jul 24, 2015 1:20 am

According to the Smash Wiki, I see no mention of their speed when landing on enemies. It simply states that they have short reach and launch enemies. I'm not an Olimar main to honestly remember how fast the Purple Pikmin land on enemies compared to the other Pikmin.

Perhaps, have Olimar use Rock Pikmin in Smash attacks.
Back to top Go down
OmegaSteve777
Level 8 CPU
OmegaSteve777

Gooey

PostSubject: Re: Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion   Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion EmptyFri Jul 24, 2015 1:28 am

I was talking about what happens in Pikmin, not Smash. Didn't mean to confuse you.

Also, smash attacks? Sounds like throwing away what makes Olimar unique.
Back to top Go down
Smash King
Smash King
Smash King

EJ88201

PostSubject: Re: Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion   Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion EmptyFri Jul 24, 2015 1:38 am

Ah, I see.

Reading the Pikmin Wiki, this is the description I am getting concerning the Purple Pikmin.

Spoiler:

I really don't see much mention of the landing speed, though maybe that is something not added to the wiki page and can prove to witness first hand.

I do agree that it would take some uniqueness away from him if he can only use Rock Pikmin on Smash attacks. However, hasn't that uniqueness been a disadvantage in a way? The randomness of the pattern of Pikmin, specifically. Do you guys feel that Sakurai's approach on Olimar in SSB4 improved the character or slightly ruined him? Based on how many Olimar players I encounter Online between Brawl and SSB4, I believe it didn't.

Back to top Go down
OmegaSteve777
Level 8 CPU
OmegaSteve777

Gooey

PostSubject: Re: Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion   Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion EmptyFri Jul 24, 2015 1:40 am

I don't play competitively so I couldn't tell you

But random seems to be a bit better
Back to top Go down
Dustination

Mach Rider
  Dustination

PostSubject: Re: Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion   Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion EmptyFri Jul 24, 2015 4:37 am

OmegaSteve777 wrote:
I don't play competitively so I couldn't tell you

But random seems to be a bit better

How could the Pikmin order being random possibly improve the character competitively
Back to top Go down
https://projectcrusade.forumotion.com/
Nohrian Sadist

Nohrian Sadist

cheezetime

PostSubject: Re: Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion   Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion EmptyFri Jul 24, 2015 9:53 am

As a person who plays Olimar quite a bit I can say with certainty having an order is far better. However, I would prefer Olimar have a confirmed kill move rather than banking on having the right Pikmin in the front.
Back to top Go down
OmegaSteve777
Level 8 CPU
OmegaSteve777

Gooey

PostSubject: Re: Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion   Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion EmptyFri Jul 24, 2015 12:10 pm

I was tired when I typed that, I personally just liked having the chance of all purples. But the Smash 4 Pikmin pluck is better competitively (I think).
Back to top Go down
TaXMaN
Level 6 CPU
TaXMaN

PAC-MAN

PostSubject: Re: Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion   Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion EmptyFri Jul 24, 2015 1:08 pm

Just another thing about Olimar. Shouldn't his Up Special give him a SLIGHT jump upwards like it did back in Brawl?
Back to top Go down
OmegaSteve777
Level 8 CPU
OmegaSteve777

Gooey

PostSubject: Re: Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion   Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion EmptyFri Jul 24, 2015 2:17 pm

It should, or we give him his Up-Special from Smash 4 if we could.
Back to top Go down
Nohrian Sadist

Nohrian Sadist

cheezetime

PostSubject: Re: Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion   Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion EmptyFri Jul 24, 2015 4:40 pm

OmegaSteve777 wrote:
I was tired when I typed that, I personally just liked having the chance of all purples. But the Smash 4 Pikmin pluck is better competitively (I think).

You can still get all purples, you just know when you'll get them now.

TaXMaN wrote:
Just another thing about Olimar. Shouldn't his Up Special give him a SLIGHT jump upwards like it did back in Brawl?

This issue with his recovery in this game is, primarily, how tethers work, which forces him to be very precise when performing his up special. With that said I'm not against the smash 4 up special in any way.
Back to top Go down
OmegaSteve777
Level 8 CPU
OmegaSteve777

Gooey

PostSubject: Re: Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion   Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion EmptyMon Sep 07, 2015 1:45 pm

I think that his standard punching and side tilt should be changed into the Smash 4 version. He does in fact punch in his games.
Back to top Go down
Braystar
Level 7 CPU
Braystar

Waluigi
  N/A

PostSubject: Re: Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion   Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion EmptyTue Sep 08, 2015 4:11 am

I think that Rock Pikmin should be in Olimar's moveset, and have Flying Pikmin should be the up special. Also, Pikmin 4 announced. I wonder what new Pikmin will be revealed.
Back to top Go down
Sean_McMuffin
Level 4 CPU
Sean_McMuffin

Mach Rider
  EnderSean311

PostSubject: Re: Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion   Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion EmptySun Jan 17, 2016 8:52 pm

I think that Rock Pikmin could act pretty much the same as Purple Pikmin, except they can break through any reflector in one hit, and will do massive damage to shield, just like how in Pikmin 3 they can break materials like glass. Also, Olimar's up special should definitely be changed to Winged Pikmin.
Back to top Go down
MarioStrikerMurphy1994
Level 5 CPU
MarioStrikerMurphy1994

PostSubject: Re: Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion   Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion EmptySun Jan 17, 2016 9:47 pm

The sympathetic tiny astronaut is one of my most favourite characters in the game. I like him by his personality and curious movements.

However, if there's any change I can suggest, it would be nice idea adding him as Up Special the Flying Pikmins (like in SSB4)
Back to top Go down
King Proto
Level 5 CPU
King Proto

ProtoBlur

PostSubject: Re: Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion   Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion EmptyTue Jan 19, 2016 9:57 am

I know Project M isn't really an official smash game, but could Olimar have his up special from that? I find it better than the winged pikmin because it does damage but doesn't have the air time of the winged pikmin. Just my thought of it anyway tongue
Back to top Go down
Athorment

Athorment

Ganondorf
  Athorment

PostSubject: Re: Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion   Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion EmptyTue Jan 19, 2016 2:22 pm

Sm4sh definitively improved Olimar. Better recovery and the order help the competitive aspect behind him.

Personally, i would prefer Olimar be left untouched in crusade while implementing Alph as an Alt. in the same way Luigi has Weegee as an Alt.
This way you can switch up Alph, give him the sm4sh recovery and Rock pikmin instead of the purple ones while also adding a few tweaks here and there (like the punching Olimar does in Sm4sh, in order for the iconic captain to keep references to Brawl with the headbutt stuff)

I haven't checked out Olimar in crusade since he always feels a little too "Gimmicky" for my taste/Playstyle, but Adding Alph with a few tweaks here and there should pose no issues beyond spritting (which already has Olimar himself as a base and both have a simplistic design behind them).

Maybe it's already in Crusade, but a way of identifying which pikmin is next (or if you even have a pikmin available for smash/Aerial attacks) was what was missing in sm4sh. The little arrow helps somewhat, but since pikmin fall behind rather easily it limits Olimar's ability to go in with a short hop Fair without ending up doing nothing if you miscalculated the distance. Which is another point i would like to see covered... Olimar would be easier to use if he could at least get a "weak" (Little Mac Sm4sh Aerial level of weak) hit if he has no pikmin to use.
Back to top Go down
http://athorment.deviantart.com/
OmegaSteve777
Level 8 CPU
OmegaSteve777

Gooey

PostSubject: Re: Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion   Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion EmptyTue Mar 15, 2016 11:16 pm

So now that Alt characters being more of a thing, there could be an alt for Olimar that removes the Pikmin for the most part. So Olimar gets a red pikmin that can't die but doesn't get any other buffs that the other pikmin have.
Back to top Go down
Nohrian Sadist

Nohrian Sadist

cheezetime

PostSubject: Re: Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion   Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion EmptyWed Mar 16, 2016 11:02 am

That's actually a really good idea.
Back to top Go down
Perfect Hell

Perfect Hell

PostSubject: Re: Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion   Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion EmptyWed Mar 16, 2016 12:31 pm

One problem, all 4 of his B moves rely on the Pikmin system.
The idea fits the theme of the new system well but practicality could be an issue here.

The likelihood of him receiving new sprites to accommodate new B moves are slim to none. If you have ideas involving the existing sprites, then go for it.
Back to top Go down
OmegaSteve777
Level 8 CPU
OmegaSteve777

Gooey

PostSubject: Re: Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion   Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion EmptyThu Mar 17, 2016 11:23 pm

Although I do know that Olimar alt most likely won't happen, I'm gonna drop these ideas off anyway.

ALT Neutral Special - Pikmin Change - Change your pikmin to the next color (Red to Yellow to Blue to White to Purple)
Side Special stays the same but does more damage in return of not being able to attack much.
Down Special - Ultra Spicy Spray - Doubles the pikmin's attack speed and strength for 10 seconds. Only can be used once until you are KO'd

For the down special, it could just be the Whistle with an added effect.

I haven't thought of anything for the up special, but gimme time and maybe I'll think of something
Back to top Go down
Kzinssie
Level 5 CPU
Kzinssie

Shadow
  slothfulunchmeat

PostSubject: Re: Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion   Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion EmptyFri Mar 18, 2016 4:39 am

...Smash 4 up special, the Flying Pikmin. Come on, that's the easy one.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion   Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion Empty

Back to top Go down

Captain Olimar & Pikmin Discussion
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1