Why are people overlooking the female candidates? BklTYr4

Project Crusade Community

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Why are people overlooking the female candidates?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
GAMEfreak329
Level 3 CPU
GAMEfreak329

Why are people overlooking the female candidates? Empty
PostSubject: Why are people overlooking the female candidates?   Why are people overlooking the female candidates? EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 6:54 pm

The fact that most of the characters in the poll that have the most votes are guys just sickens me. I even made a suggestion poll to try to get more females into the game. But the main response is that there is no need for females. Look at the Dead Or Alive series; the roster has a good third to half of the roster comprising of females. and the thing is none of them play exactly the same! They each are unique. Combine that with a simple combat system and you have one of the most popular fighting games that is still around. If Tecmo can make a game like that and have such a fanbase, then why the hell can't this game be similar and add more females, such as Joanna Dark and Lara Croft to the DLC. Hell, most, if not all, ofthe popular fighting games out there have a good third of the roster comprising of women! This game is supposed to be a fan based smash bros. game, right? Why the hell can't you guys be more open to this idea? I just don't get why only a few people actually recognize how much influence female protagonists have on games themselves. Mass Effect allows you to play from a females point of view even.

Whoever agrees with this, please back me up because I cannot get through with just my voice alone. I really would like to see this game turn into something a bit different from the norm that smash bros. series already is. I really do like the characters, but it is just not feasible to me to leave so many great characters that have an influence on gaming itself to be ignored and forgotten. I am trying not to become emotional here, but if that is what it takes for my message to be heard then I will let the emotion pour out of my very soul that speaks right now!

I hope you understand my anguish and frustration, and would like feedback on this topic. Any support helps......
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why are people overlooking the female candidates?   Why are people overlooking the female candidates? EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 7:03 pm

It's equally as sexist to force diversity into the game.
Back to top Go down
Perfect Hell

Perfect Hell

PostSubject: Re: Why are people overlooking the female candidates?   Why are people overlooking the female candidates? EmptySun Jan 06, 2013 7:10 pm

The response to DoA had nothing to do with the gender of the cast, but that people did not feel DoA deserved a rep. Similarly, the DLC female candidates are not losing simply because they are female.
Back to top Go down
Afrodude
Level 1 CPU
Afrodude

PostSubject: Re: Why are people overlooking the female candidates?   Why are people overlooking the female candidates? EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 9:20 am

Gender shouldn't even be a reason why someone should want a character in a game. It's a pretty poor reason...

But as far as a female character for crusade, Captain Syrup, Palutena, Birdo, and Bayonetta is all I'd like to see.
Back to top Go down
Ganonthegreat

Ganonthegreat

Ganonthegreat

PostSubject: Re: Why are people overlooking the female candidates?   Why are people overlooking the female candidates? EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 10:18 am

The idea of adding a female just because we need more female characters is a rather poor one.

We should be looking at which characters are the most important to the history of gaming, and unfortunately the most influential characters in gaming are almost universally men. If we try to make it fair to both genders all we'll get is stupid obscure reps clogging up the game.

I mean really look at your collection of games, how many of them are hugely influential, now count how many have a female lead. The only characters that would fit that criteria in my collection is Lightning and Lara Croft. If we remove the "Hugely influential" part we do have characters like Faith, Bayonetta, Jade from BGaE, Joanna Dark, the DoA characters and Kat from Gravity Rush, but we have much better possibilities for reps from other games.

So in short, I guess my argument is this.
Game Influence > Character Influence > Gender
Back to top Go down
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Ganonthegreat/
GAMEfreak329
Level 3 CPU
GAMEfreak329

PostSubject: Re: Why are people overlooking the female candidates?   Why are people overlooking the female candidates? EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 11:51 pm

No, I am talking about Lara Croft, as well as Joanna Dark, but the point is that there are so many great characters that get ignored due to the whole popularity contest going on, and in case you haven't noticed there are actually some like Hatsune Miku, Shantae and Lara Croft that have campaigns going on. I must say thought that Joanna Dark could be a good character for the game since James Bond is a major character in nintendo history, ie. goldeneye 007, but due to copyright issues, she would be a better choice because she isn't as copyrighted as he is. On top of that, Perfect Dark was a pretty good game..... Sorry off topic, but she needs more recognition here in the community
Back to top Go down
Ganonthegreat

Ganonthegreat

Ganonthegreat

PostSubject: Re: Why are people overlooking the female candidates?   Why are people overlooking the female candidates? EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 1:23 am

GAMEfreak329 wrote:
No, I am talking about Lara Croft, as well as Joanna Dark, but the point is that there are so many great characters that get ignored due to the whole popularity contest going on, and in case you haven't noticed there are actually some like Hatsune Miku, Shantae and Lara Croft that have campaigns going on. I must say thought that Joanna Dark could be a good character for the game since James Bond is a major character in nintendo history, ie. goldeneye 007, but due to copyright issues, she would be a better choice because she isn't as copyrighted as he is. On top of that, Perfect Dark was a pretty good game..... Sorry off topic, but she needs more recognition here in the community
Lara is a huge character, Miku is iconic in Japan ans Shantae is a cult favourite among the forum. Joanna is a good character, but there are a lot better. Also, to my knowledge she doesn't have much that would define here as her own character.

Also, this game is a free fan game, if we wanted James Bond, we'd just add him.
Back to top Go down
SP

cellularSP

PostSubject: Re: Why are people overlooking the female candidates?   Why are people overlooking the female candidates? EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 5:35 am

Ganonthegreat wrote:
Shantae is a cult favourite among the forum.

Her entire cult following at your service *bows*
Back to top Go down
HawlSera
Level 1 CPU

PostSubject: Re: Why are people overlooking the female candidates?   Why are people overlooking the female candidates? EmptyFri Feb 01, 2013 4:36 pm

I'm female and not having playable females can actually be a dealbreaker for me. That said, I'd never want an awesome male character to be shafted (Skull Kid), so a not-as-cool female could get in (Toon Zelda)

Totally supporting Shantae though.
Back to top Go down
GAMEfreak329
Level 3 CPU
GAMEfreak329

PostSubject: Re: Why are people overlooking the female candidates?   Why are people overlooking the female candidates? EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 9:14 pm

Ganon Senpai wrote:
GAMEfreak329 wrote:
Lara is a huge character, Miku is iconic in Japan ans Shantae is a cult favourite among the forum. Joanna is a good character, but there are a lot better. Also, to my knowledge she doesn't have much that would define here as her own character.

Also, this game is a free fan game, if we wanted James Bond, we'd just add him.

No, you can't due to copyright issues. You would have to get permissions from the company that makes the movies. Sorry if I sound condescending here, but the point is that it would be much more difficult to get the permissionto use him in this game than Joanna dark because really RARE is the only company that has the copyright to her
Back to top Go down
GAMEfreak329
Level 3 CPU
GAMEfreak329

PostSubject: Re: Why are people overlooking the female candidates?   Why are people overlooking the female candidates? EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 9:18 pm

HawlSera wrote:
I'm female and not having playable females can actually be a dealbreaker for me. That said, I'd never want an awesome male character to be shafted (Skull Kid), so a not-as-cool female could get in (Toon Zelda)

Totally supporting Shantae though.

Thanks for reading this thread, it helps get attention to it. The funny thing is that though I may be a guy, I have a feministic mindset. I naturally pick females over males if I can use them better. DOA is a good example of female representation in a fighting game. I am not talking about the boobs either. I am talking about the overall playability of the game, despite females being very present in the game.
Back to top Go down
Super Smash Bros Crusade
Administrator
Super Smash Bros Crusade

PostSubject: Re: Why are people overlooking the female candidates?   Why are people overlooking the female candidates? EmptySat Feb 02, 2013 10:13 pm

If there were copyright issues with anything we're doing, we would have been shut down ages ago, along with every fangame in the history of ever.

Do you think we emailed every company whose characters are represented in this game to ask permission from them?
Back to top Go down
https://projectcrusade.forumotion.com
MercuryHg34

MercuryHg34

PostSubject: Re: Why are people overlooking the female candidates?   Why are people overlooking the female candidates? EmptySun Feb 03, 2013 8:49 am

It doesn't even matter because as long as none of us make any profit from this game or merchandise made for it (like the APEX business cards, as a small example) then we are pretty much safe from copyright infringement.
Back to top Go down
GAMEfreak329
Level 3 CPU
GAMEfreak329

PostSubject: Re: Why are people overlooking the female candidates?   Why are people overlooking the female candidates? EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 9:25 am

I am just concerned as to what might happen if we don't follow copyright and at least cite the authors/sources of characters during the credits
Back to top Go down
MercuryHg34

MercuryHg34

PostSubject: Re: Why are people overlooking the female candidates?   Why are people overlooking the female candidates? EmptyFri Feb 08, 2013 9:36 am

All we need is the disclaimer we have on the title screen or whatever. SSF2 is much more widespread than us and nothing has happened to them, so we may as well be saints.
Back to top Go down
weverton junior
Level 1 CPU
weverton junior

PostSubject: Re: Why are people overlooking the female candidates?   Why are people overlooking the female candidates? EmptyMon Feb 11, 2013 11:41 am

SMASHfreak329 wrote:
The fact that most of the characters in the poll that have the most votes are guys just sickens me. I even made a suggestion poll to try to get more females into the game. But the main response is that there is no need for females. Look at the Dead Or Alive series; the roster has a good third to half of the roster comprising of females. and the thing is none of them play exactly the same! They each are unique. Combine that with a simple combat system and you have one of the most popular fighting games that is still around. If Tecmo can make a game like that and have such a fanbase, then why the hell can't this game be similar and add more females, such as Joanna Dark and Lara Croft to the DLC. Hell, most, if not all, ofthe popular fighting games out there have a good third of the roster comprising of women! This game is supposed to be a fan based smash bros. game, right? Why the hell can't you guys be more open to this idea? I just don't get why only a few people actually recognize how much influence female protagonists have on games themselves. Mass Effect allows you to play from a females point of view even.

Whoever agrees with this, please back me up because I cannot get through with just my voice alone. I really would like to see this game turn into something a bit different from the norm that smash bros. series already is. I really do like the characters, but it is just not feasible to me to leave so many great characters that have an influence on gaming itself to be ignored and forgotten. I am trying not to become emotional here, but if that is what it takes for my message to be heard then I will let the emotion pour out of my very soul that speaks right now!

I hope you understand my anguish and frustration, and would like feedback on this topic. Any support helps......
I also agree with you, why do not more women ?
Back to top Go down
GAMEfreak329
Level 3 CPU
GAMEfreak329

PostSubject: Re: Why are people overlooking the female candidates?   Why are people overlooking the female candidates? EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 11:24 am

weverton junior wrote:
SMASHfreak329 wrote:

I also agree with you, why do not more women ?
I was really frustrated and upset when I made that original post, but I am passionate about women being represented equally in a game that has enough male representation; I think tekken has more females in that game to balance out the roster so it's not too masculine. My point is that even though the game has SOME female representation, surely we should have a poll on whether or not we should have a vote specifically designed to get more females into the CrusaDLC. I am not trying to prejudice the game or anyone here, but at least give some thought into adding Kasumi as vote, because I really do think she, if any other female, needs to be DLC
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why are people overlooking the female candidates?   Why are people overlooking the female candidates? EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 11:30 am

Even suggesting that there should a vote SPECIFICALLY for the purpose of adding female characters because they are female is prejudiced.

Having breasts and a vagina doesn't make someone a better option than someone who has a penis nor the other way around.
Back to top Go down
Ganonthegreat

Ganonthegreat

Ganonthegreat

PostSubject: Re: Why are people overlooking the female candidates?   Why are people overlooking the female candidates? EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 12:56 pm

I am not getting to you at all with the females on the roster thing, but I just can't support your opinion. The percentage of females we have on the roster equate to almost the exact percentage of worthy female characters. It makes zero sense to add a woman just so we have another woman, they have to be worth the addition.

It may appear sexist or something to you, but if anything it's the opposite, we add people without caring what their gender is, and Joanna Dark just doesn't feel like a worth rep to the roster.
Back to top Go down
DemonicGamerAzazel
Level 6 CPU
DemonicGamerAzazel

PostSubject: Re: Why are people overlooking the female candidates?   Why are people overlooking the female candidates? EmptyTue Feb 12, 2013 2:20 pm

It's just as sexist to put in females who are really unworthy over males who are as it is to put in males who aren't worthy over females.

Besides, it's not like there aren't people supporting females. I am the one who made Miku's support thread. Granted, I originally only voted Miku on behalf of my little sister, but I eventually grew to realize Miku could be an interesting character with a variety of moves.

But in the end, I don't think people are discriminating against females, they just don't care for them as characters. The poll is about voting for who you want and that's what people are doing. I understand that you fell like females are being discriminated against, but they are not, believe me.
Back to top Go down
GAMEfreak329
Level 3 CPU
GAMEfreak329

PostSubject: Re: Why are people overlooking the female candidates?   Why are people overlooking the female candidates? EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 2:03 pm

I do understand where you are coming from, and I like the criticism from everyone. I have a question to ask, should I change the title of this thread, as well as the original post so it isn't so angry sounding?
Back to top Go down
DemonicGamerAzazel
Level 6 CPU
DemonicGamerAzazel

PostSubject: Re: Why are people overlooking the female candidates?   Why are people overlooking the female candidates? EmptyWed Feb 20, 2013 3:43 pm

I think it's fine.
Back to top Go down
GAMEfreak329
Level 3 CPU
GAMEfreak329

PostSubject: Re: Why are people overlooking the female candidates?   Why are people overlooking the female candidates? EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 2:24 pm

Wari-O-Matic wrote:
Even suggesting that there should a vote SPECIFICALLY for the purpose of adding female characters because they are female is prejudiced.

Having breasts and a vagina doesn't make someone a better option than someone who has a penis nor the other way around.
No it's not that, I just tend to prefer playing with females because their moves are a bit more interesting; Look at Lara Croft for instance. She has a very interesting and unique moveset that should be given a look into. That is why I feel that some of the characters are being overlooked; they have a repitoire of moves that could be utilized for a moveset, if done properly. I do think that he characters already slated for the game are well done, it's just I like a massive amount of variety because it makes things interesting. That is why I would like a little extra female representation here; to add a bit more to this game, which is already interesting, but could always use a little extra for the sake of spicing things up.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why are people overlooking the female candidates?   Why are people overlooking the female candidates? EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 2:29 pm

Unlike many females, Lara Croft is a gaming icon that is widely recognized all across the globe. Due to such status, as well as an arsenal of unique abilities, She has the ability to spice things up in a way Jonna Dark and Kasumi could never hope to achieve.
Back to top Go down
GAMEfreak329
Level 3 CPU
GAMEfreak329

PostSubject: Re: Why are people overlooking the female candidates?   Why are people overlooking the female candidates? EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 2:37 pm

Sunako wrote:
Unlike many females, Lara Croft is a gaming icon that is widely recognized all across the globe. Due to such status, as well as an arsenal of unique abilities, She has the ability to spice things up in a way Jonna Dark and Kasumi could never hope to achieve.
I see, but can we do to get the other lesser known characters some light in this game?
Back to top Go down
Perfect Hell

Perfect Hell

PostSubject: Re: Why are people overlooking the female candidates?   Why are people overlooking the female candidates? EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 3:19 pm

Or we could simply realize that gender plays no role in the roster. None whatsoever.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why are people overlooking the female candidates?   Why are people overlooking the female candidates? EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 3:24 pm

Perfecthell4 wrote:
Or we could simply realize that gender plays no role in the roster. None whatsoever.

Preach
Back to top Go down
MercuryHg34

MercuryHg34

PostSubject: Re: Why are people overlooking the female candidates?   Why are people overlooking the female candidates? EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 3:25 pm

There's no need to preach, it's an irrefutable fact.
Back to top Go down
madam im adam
Level 5 CPU

PostSubject: Re: Why are people overlooking the female candidates?   Why are people overlooking the female candidates? EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 3:58 pm

SMASHfreak329 wrote:
"lara croft has potential yada yada"
to reiterate the point
lara croft wouldn't be any different in moveset and everything if she was a male
the closest example I can think of of a male lara croft would be indiana jones

while lara croft's prominence may be solely attributed to the fact that she is a woman, her sex doesn't make her any better just because she's female
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why are people overlooking the female candidates?   Why are people overlooking the female candidates? EmptyMon Feb 25, 2013 5:10 pm

as the forum's resident lgbt activist/feminist faggot i am obliged to say: cease this gender diversity nonsense please and thank you good sir have a nice day

we don't need to fill a quota. affirmative action is still highly discriminating even with good intentions.

MercuryHg34 wrote:
There's no need to preach, it's an irrefutable fact.
Why are people overlooking the female candidates? 28rKE
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why are people overlooking the female candidates?   Why are people overlooking the female candidates? Empty

Back to top Go down

Why are people overlooking the female candidates?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next