Project Crusade Community

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Problems/suggestions

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
SmashBro808
Level 1 CPU

Problems/suggestions Empty
PostSubject: Problems/suggestions   Problems/suggestions EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 3:10 pm

I'm almost positive this is going to be met solely with negative feedback from fans and creators alike because no one can take criticism, but I'm gunna say it anyway. I honestly went into this game with high hopes and left it utterly disappointed and I'll tell you why in hopes that something can be fixed for future plays.

The biggest and most jarring thing for this game is it's control scheme, the default for player one is extremely awkward and put simply, I can't find any alternative that works well, the whole game just feels and controls incredibly awkwardly. However, it does say before the title screen that the game works much better with a controller...yet has no controller config options built into it. That's kind of a big problem, especially as this thread about it (https://projectcrusade.forumotion.com/t910-using-a-controller-to-play-crusade) really doesn't help more then it complicates things. Maybe I'm missing a thread about what the optimal setting for the keyboard controls should be but, personally the game handles and controls incredibly awkwardly.

The next massive problem is the AI and lack thereof at times. Most bothering being during the first match I had, on ice cap zone, while trying to get use to the controls, all the while my cpu foe is just jumping down bellow, trying to get to me by just jumping right at me, having absolutely no path finding to figure out theres a solid platform there, go around. A low CPU level is no excuse for this, even level 1 cpu's in other smash bros flash games have simple path finding.
Another big problem with the CPU is it's tendency to spam taunts when you're anywhere close to the edge of a level. Not only is this incredibly annoying but just means a projectile character can sit at the edge of somewhere like green hill zone and just spam a CPU to high %'s.

I'm mainly just onto minor problems now, but still worth mentioning. For example, I would mention how badly this game NEEDS a training mode, but I saw it was already covered in another topic with a similar title, so I wont go on about it. Same goes for the completely unclear way to return to the menu from a match.

The final smash bar should be more obvious when you've filled it up, like some kind of sound prompt or your character gains the rainbow final smash aura.

And lastly, I understood the game is made in game maker and pressing esc auto closes games made with it, but please, if there is any way to run a prompt asking if you're sure you want to close the entire game when you press escape, please oh please, implement it. I must have accidentally closed the game 15 times while trying to set up controls, controllers and exit from matches.

So, thats my 2 cents. Again, probably just met with negative feedback, but at the end of the day, all these jarring problems really put me off and made me drop this game which, I'm sure to some, is a brilliant game, but I sure didn't see it, nor could I get past its many problems. Sorry guys, had to be said.
Back to top Go down
Dry

PostSubject: Re: Problems/suggestions   Problems/suggestions EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 3:28 pm

Well first of all, hi and thanks for trying out the game. We're working towards making Crusade better all the time, and having reviews like this is very helpful.

First of all, the control scheme for the keyboard is as good as it gets, m'afraid. The problem with a game like Smash Bros is that when you're used to using a controller, making the switch to keyboard is a tad uncomfortable. Unfortunately there's no way around this, and this is true of any game that uses a keyboard in place of a controller, whether that be other smash fangames, or PC ported games like Skyrim and CoD.

As for the controller thing, many users here use it without a hitch. What you want is to use a software like Xpadder, which will allow you to connect your controller and play smoothly. In fact, you might have noticed that the game takes input when it's inactive; this is purposefully done to avoid keyboard errors, as well as making controller support easier.

As for the AI, we're constantly working towards making it better. The Ice Cap Zone thing is hilarious and terrible, but we plan on improving the AI steadily, particularly in the path finding area. As for the edge taunting problem, I only find that that happens against very low-levelled CPUs, but we'll look into that as well.

The Final Smash bar already makes a sound when it's filled, but we could make it louder for convenience.

As for pressing Esc, that again is something we can't deal with. Don't worry, when you get used to the game the avoidance of the Escape button will come naturally.

Finally, I understand where you are coming from on the "solely met with negative feedback" thing, since a lot of the internet loves nothing more than to descend into rage and poop-flinging at the slightest opinion. Don't worry, we're not all like that. But I wouldn't try to predict or outsmart the onset of said rage, not because we don't like it, but because it doesn't reflect a good image of yourself. I mean, if you correctly predict negative feedback, how does that change things? All you do is make yourself right in one particular situation, while the rest of us still hate you. And if you predict wrongly, that just makes you look a bit of a tool. So watch your attitude next time.
Back to top Go down
Slissith

Slissith

( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)

PostSubject: Re: Problems/suggestions   Problems/suggestions EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 3:32 pm

You can employ some programs such as Joy2Key and X-padder-whatever for avoiding using the keyboard.

The AI might dissapoint you, but it's the best smash fangame AI you can find. At any rate, I'm fairly positive it will be looked upon.

Just my 10 grand.
Back to top Go down
Traweezie

Traweezie

PostSubject: Re: Problems/suggestions   Problems/suggestions EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 3:43 pm

Not to sure if you played the AI in a stage other that Ice cap but the Ai can be great at times for example. This:

I also wanna ask what did you like about the game?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/traweezie?feature=mhee
Super Smash Bros Crusade
Administrator
Super Smash Bros Crusade

PostSubject: Re: Problems/suggestions   Problems/suggestions EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 3:46 pm

The AI is worse in awkward level designs. That's how AI works. In Brawl, every level of computer would kill itself on awkward levels like New Pork City.

The controls can be changed and you could just make them the same as SSF2 if you want, because it seems you play that more often.
Back to top Go down
https://projectcrusade.forumotion.com
Leo
Level 7 CPU
Leo

Link

PostSubject: Re: Problems/suggestions   Problems/suggestions EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 3:46 pm

SmashBro808 wrote:
I'm almost positive this is going to be met solely with negative feedback from fans and creators alike because no one can take criticism, but I'm gunna say it anyway. I honestly went into this game with high hopes and left it utterly disappointed and I'll tell you why in hopes that something can be fixed for future plays.
Crusade is too epic for you, you just can't take it.

Quote :
The biggest and most jarring thing for this game is it's control scheme, the default for player one is extremely awkward and put simply, I can't find any alternative that works well, the whole game just feels and controls incredibly awkwardly. However, it does say before the title screen that the game works much better with a controller...yet has no controller config options built into it. That's kind of a big problem, especially as this thread about it (https://projectcrusade.forumotion.com/t910-using-a-controller-to-play-crusade) really doesn't help more then it complicates things. Maybe I'm missing a thread about what the optimal setting for the keyboard controls should be but, personally the game handles and controls incredibly awkwardly.
There's a way to change controls you know, look in options.

Quote :
The next massive problem is the AI and lack thereof at times. Most bothering being during the first match I had, on ice cap zone, while trying to get use to the controls, all the while my cpu foe is just jumping down bellow, trying to get to me by just jumping right at me, having absolutely no path finding to figure out theres a solid platform there, go around. A low CPU level is no excuse for this, even level 1 cpu's in other smash bros flash games have simple path finding.
Another big problem with the CPU is it's tendency to spam taunts when you're anywhere close to the edge of a level. Not only is this incredibly annoying but just means a projectile character can sit at the edge of somewhere like green hill zone and just spam a CPU to high %'s.
Ice Cap is the buggiest stage, you should have tried other one. You know, there's other 31 stages.

Quote :
I'm mainly just onto minor problems now, but still worth mentioning. For example, I would mention how badly this game NEEDS a training mode, but I saw it was already covered in another topic with a similar title, so I wont go on about it. Same goes for the completely unclear way to return to the menu from a match.
*Sigh* Training mode will be in 0.9, and have you even considered fighting a HMN that does nothing.

Quote :
The final smash bar should be more obvious when you've filled it up, like some kind of sound prompt or your character gains the rainbow final smash aura.
Do you have hearing problems? Because I can hear it perfectly.

Quote :
And lastly, I understood the game is made in game maker and pressing esc auto closes games made with it, but please, if there is any way to run a prompt asking if you're sure you want to close the entire game when you press escape, please oh please, implement it. I must have accidentally closed the game 15 times while trying to set up controls, controllers and exit from matches.
To hell with this, anyone with common sense can close control changing without exiting and matches are closed with F3.

Last edited by Smash King on Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:09 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : EDIT: verbal offense)
Back to top Go down
Perfect Hell

Perfect Hell

The AI may not be incredible, but after playing a game of SSF2 you'll never complain about bad AI again.

In any case, using a controller is pretty simple just download xpadder or JoyToKey

Strider that really wasn't necessary. Congratulations on proving him right and making the community look like a bunch of intolerant pricks. He's entitled to his opinion, calling him names accomplishes nothing

Last edited by Perfecthell4 on Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MercuryHg34

MercuryHg34

PostSubject: Re: Problems/suggestions   Problems/suggestions EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 3:47 pm

SmashBro808 wrote:

The biggest and most jarring thing for this game is it's control scheme, the default for player one is extremely awkward and put simply, I can't find any alternative that works well, the whole game just feels and controls incredibly awkwardly. WASD move, up and jump are the same, p=standard, o=special, i=grab, u=shield. Not hard to use at all, pretty much the same as SSF2.

However, it does say before the title screen that the game works much better with a controller...yet has no controller config options built into it. That's kind of a big problem, especially as this thread about it (https://projectcrusade.forumotion.com/t910-using-a-controller-to-play-crusade) really doesn't help more then it complicates things. Maybe I'm missing a thread about what the optimal setting for the keyboard controls should be but, personally the game handles and controls incredibly awkwardly. Use the keyboard setup I mentioned above, it's really simple to play with.

The next massive problem is the AI and lack thereof at times. Most bothering being during the first match I had, on ice cap zone, while trying to get use to the controls, all the while my cpu foe is just jumping down bellow, trying to get to me by just jumping right at me, having absolutely no path finding to figure out theres a solid platform there, go around. A low CPU level is no excuse for this, even level 1 cpu's in other smash bros flash games have simple path finding. There's such a thing as Online Mode to play with people who actually put up a fight, or play a higher CPU, or just live with it like the rest of us. Try playing SSF2's AI on the highest difficulty, and then complain that our AI sucks.

Another big problem with the CPU is it's tendency to spam taunts when you're anywhere close to the edge of a level. Not only is this incredibly annoying but just means a projectile character can sit at the edge of somewhere like green hill zone and just spam a CPU to high %'s. I've never heard of that before.

I'm mainly just onto minor problems now, but still worth mentioning. For example, I would mention how badly this game NEEDS a training mode, but I saw it was already covered in another topic with a similar title, so I wont go on about it. Same goes for the completely unclear way to return to the menu from a match. You can set player 2 to be a HMN player, they will stay still as long as you want, or you can position them yourself with player 2 controls. Training mode is on the way, but this more than suffices for practice.

The final smash bar should be more obvious when you've filled it up, like some kind of sound prompt or your character gains the rainbow final smash aura. It's not hard to just look and see that you have a FS ready, it's just like looking at how many lives you have left or how much dmg you have. This shouldn't be an issue at all.

And lastly, I understood the game is made in game maker and pressing esc auto closes games made with it, but please, if there is any way to run a prompt asking if you're sure you want to close the entire game when you press escape, please oh please, implement it. I must have accidentally closed the game 15 times while trying to set up controls, controllers and exit from matches. There is no way to fix this, just don't hit esc at all. Default controls are nowhere near the esc button, and you can navigate menus with standard/special attack buttons anyway. Again, shouldn't be an issue.

So, thats my 2 cents. Again, probably just met with negative feedback, but at the end of the day, all these jarring problems really put me off and made me drop this game which, I'm sure to some, is a brilliant game, but I sure didn't see it, nor could I get past its many problems. Sorry guys, had to be said. Remember that this game is still in a demo phase, there are obviously going to be problems with it. Sorry to say that all or most of the issues you brought up are due to your own inability to adjust certain settings the right way, and they are not really important issues that relate to the development of this game. You can take my criticism (which is different than pure negative feedback) however you want, I just hope you will reconsider your decision to drop Project: Crusade.

That's my 2 cents.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Problems/suggestions   Problems/suggestions EmptyTue Aug 21, 2012 3:54 pm

The 85. wrote:
SmashBro808 wrote:
Crusade is too epic for you, you just can't take it.

Quote :
There's a way to change controls you know, look in options damnit.

Quote :
Ice Cap is the buggiest stage, you should have tried other one. You know, there's other 31 damn stages.

Quote :
*Sigh* Training mode will be in 0.9, and have you even considered fighting a HMN that does nothing.

Quote :
Do you have hearing problems? Because I can hear it perfectly.

Quote :
To hell with this, anyone with common sense can close control changing without exiting and matches are closed with F3 you retard.

Completely unneccessary. There is a time for rage, and this is not that time.
Don't do it again or face the wrath of the Ragin' Gold.
Back to top Go down
JMan
Level 4 CPU
JMan

Knuckles

PostSubject: Re: Problems/suggestions   Problems/suggestions EmptyThu Aug 23, 2012 12:37 pm

The game has its problems the biggest problem right now is that they need to program slops lmao

The controls though lol they are fine SSB was never meant for a keyboard get a controller mon ami

I don't know anything much about the AI cuz even in the official SSB games never cared cpus i always turn them off I only like fighting humans and i always have 2-4 humans to fight

Special meter is fine doesn't need to be noticable its up for the other palyers to pay attention. I like the idea of the special meter gives that 2D fighter strategy and they can be use to block out other peoples final smashes in which none takes dmg
Back to top Go down
http://battlecrossfever.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Problems/suggestions   Problems/suggestions Empty

Back to top Go down

Problems/suggestions
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1