HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 A new Super Smash Bros fan-game!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
GamerChris1998
Level 4 CPU
avatar

  Captain Falcon
  123
  N/A

PostSubject: Re: A new Super Smash Bros fan-game!   Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:50 am

Like I said, chill. I didn't play your game because I know it didn't interested me and I've already know it's bad.
-Lack of characters
-Poor choices
-Stages are boring
-Shrek

I think that's it for me. I've only played a few Smash fangames on GameJolt and one of them is The Last Generation, an anime Smash Bros. THAT is how you put effort in a fangame, and THAT is how you do it. The guy showed his heart put into it and he was very clever with his choices.

The reason why Shrek is an awful choice is because... well, just look at Shrek. Not even a good joke character for one, because the cringe is too strong. A good joke character in my book is Ronald McDonald (the Japanese one). I mean, if you chose Shrek, it's your choice, not gonna stop you there... But adding him in the beginning was a terrible idea, looking at how Mario or Link didn't appeared first.

EDIT: I also forgot to point out is that you're using emojis way too much and it's annoying.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Freefork
Level 2 CPU
avatar

  Klonoa
  44
  N/A

PostSubject: Re: A new Super Smash Bros fan-game!   Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:01 am

So I read your comment about what is and isn't quality and why adding Shrek was the best idea any man has came up with(I'm joking, chill), so here is my response:

*Adding veterans would be pointless 'cause we have one already and everybody played the veterans already. That would be wasting time.

*I played the anime smash bros game. I though it was... ehhhhhhhhhhh... There was a lack of polish in the gameplay and it only focused on graphics. I think it is a great fan game, but I don't consider it to be has high quality as mine(my opinion, calm down). There just needs to be more attacks for characters and more code in each attack to give them more utility to be up to "my standard". Graphics don't mean much to me, so I don't really see the quality. However, I do know how much time was put into graphics. But it just doesn't matter to me. Gameplay is what shines to me only, and that game is just... lacking in the department. Great game, but not my type of sause.

*I think Shrek is a great character and I disagree with your opinions... not much there.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GamerChris1998
Level 4 CPU
avatar

  Captain Falcon
  123
  N/A

PostSubject: Re: A new Super Smash Bros fan-game!   Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:07 am

Welp, it's your choice. Don't expect positive feedback though.

Quality doesn't count in a game... it's the game itself.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OmegaSteve777
Level 7 CPU
avatar

  Gooey
  1438

PostSubject: Re: A new Super Smash Bros fan-game!   Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:10 am

When Nix~ said "original" they meant that you could make your own characters and your own universe.

Currently the thing that boggles my mind the most is the fact that you're only going to have about 10 characters. If I wanted to play a game with 10 characters I'd just play Smash 64. If you want people to stay interested in your game for a while, you'll need a lot of characters. Even Smash Flash had more than the Melee roster at the very least. I remember playing a Smash fan game that was actually considered finished and being disappointed at the fact that there were only 10 characters (10 very strange characters too).

I think what we're really trying to say is that you need to have more characters if you want to have a game worth remembering. I'm not saying you shouldn't do what you want, but I am saying that with a bit of effort you could have a really good fan game. With Shrek as a playable character. Whoopee!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Freefork
Level 2 CPU
avatar

  Klonoa
  44
  N/A

PostSubject: Re: A new Super Smash Bros fan-game!   Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:13 am

GamerChris1998 wrote:
Like I said, chill. I didn't play your game because I know it didn't interested me and I've already know it's bad.
-Lack of characters
-Poor choices
-Stages are boring
-Shrek

I think that's it for me. I've only played a few Smash fangames on GameJolt and one of them is The Last Generation, an anime Smash Bros. THAT is how you put effort in a fangame, and THAT is how you do it. The guy showed his heart put into it and he was very clever with his choices.

The reason why Shrek is an awful choice is because... well, just look at Shrek. Not even a good joke character for one, because the cringe is too strong. A good joke character in my book is Ronald McDonald (the Japanese one). I mean, if you chose Shrek, it's your choice, not gonna stop you there... But adding him in the beginning was a terrible idea, looking at how Mario or Link didn't appeared first.

EDIT: I also forgot to point out is that you're using emojis way too much and it's annoying.

"
EDIT: I also forgot to point out is that you're using emojis way too much and it's annoying."

LOL! You clearly just don't like me! I don't think your opinion reflects my game(mostly because you haven't played it but took someone else's word for it), but just your feelings for me! You hate my playful and carefree nature and prefer people who are...plain I guess! scratch

Well, that ends our conversation. You must play my game and like what I do to effectively give criticism to help the game. That is like if I tried to give input on an RPG when I hate'em: I would change the game entirely! Which would miss the point of it! lol!

Sorry if you just hate me. It is totally okay! I understand if you hate my emoji spams and reckless nature, I'm just glad I spotted it. So... to put this in the nicest way possible:

Don't try to give feedback on this game until you can understand what I am looking for in my game and community. cat

So, farewell! Thank you for the talk. Hopefully, other people who hate games that shouldn't be taken seriously visually(not mechanically) can simply avoid this project and it's community. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Freefork
Level 2 CPU
avatar

  Klonoa
  44
  N/A

PostSubject: Re: A new Super Smash Bros fan-game!   Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:18 am

OmegaSteve777 wrote:
When Nix~ said "original" they meant that you could make your own characters and your own universe.

Currently the thing that boggles my mind the most is the fact that you're only going to have about 10 characters. If I wanted to play a game with 10 characters I'd just play Smash 64. If you want people to stay interested in your game for a while, you'll need a lot of characters. Even Smash Flash had more than the Melee roster at the very least. I remember playing a Smash fan game that was actually considered finished and being disappointed at the fact that there were only 10 characters (10 very strange characters too).

I think what we're really trying to say is that you need to have more characters if you want to have a game worth remembering. I'm not saying you shouldn't do what you want, but I am saying that with a bit of effort you could have a really good fan game. With Shrek as a playable character. Whoopee!

Yep, it is clear: we totally have different preferences for smash games.

santa My preference: Make a game with mechanics that are deep. Forget the extra content like graphics and casual modes. GAMEPLAY! GAMEPLAY! GAMEPLAY!

jocolor Y'all preferences: Make a game with lots of casual content... AKA characters. Forget the community that hates large rosters because they like only focusing on a few characters and mastering them. We want lots of characters! CHARACTERS! CHARACTERS! CHARACTERS!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OmegaSteve777
Level 7 CPU
avatar

  Gooey
  1438

PostSubject: Re: A new Super Smash Bros fan-game!   Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:29 am

Freefork wrote:
OmegaSteve777 wrote:
When Nix~ said "original" they meant that you could make your own characters and your own universe.

Currently the thing that boggles my mind the most is the fact that you're only going to have about 10 characters. If I wanted to play a game with 10 characters I'd just play Smash 64. If you want people to stay interested in your game for a while, you'll need a lot of characters. Even Smash Flash had more than the Melee roster at the very least. I remember playing a Smash fan game that was actually considered finished and being disappointed at the fact that there were only 10 characters (10 very strange characters too).

I think what we're really trying to say is that you need to have more characters if you want to have a game worth remembering. I'm not saying you shouldn't do what you want, but I am saying that with a bit of effort you could have a really good fan game. With Shrek as a playable character. Whoopee!

Yep, it is clear: we totally have different preferences for smash games.

santa  My preference: Make a game with mechanics that are deep. Forget the extra content like graphics and casual modes. GAMEPLAY! GAMEPLAY! GAMEPLAY!

jocolor  Y'all preferences: Make a game with lots of casual content... AKA characters. Forget the community that hates large rosters because they like only focusing on a few characters and mastering them. We want lots of characters! CHARACTERS! CHARACTERS! CHARACTERS!

but characters are the most important part to a fighting game

and right now the gameplay isn't blowing me away

*cough*
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Freefork
Level 2 CPU
avatar

  Klonoa
  44
  N/A

PostSubject: Re: A new Super Smash Bros fan-game!   Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:41 am

OmegaSteve777 wrote:
Freefork wrote:
OmegaSteve777 wrote:
When Nix~ said "original" they meant that you could make your own characters and your own universe.

Currently the thing that boggles my mind the most is the fact that you're only going to have about 10 characters. If I wanted to play a game with 10 characters I'd just play Smash 64. If you want people to stay interested in your game for a while, you'll need a lot of characters. Even Smash Flash had more than the Melee roster at the very least. I remember playing a Smash fan game that was actually considered finished and being disappointed at the fact that there were only 10 characters (10 very strange characters too).

I think what we're really trying to say is that you need to have more characters if you want to have a game worth remembering. I'm not saying you shouldn't do what you want, but I am saying that with a bit of effort you could have a really good fan game. With Shrek as a playable character. Whoopee!

Yep, it is clear: we totally have different preferences for smash games.

santa  My preference: Make a game with mechanics that are deep. Forget the extra content like graphics and casual modes. GAMEPLAY! GAMEPLAY! GAMEPLAY!

jocolor  Y'all preferences: Make a game with lots of casual content... AKA characters. Forget the community that hates large rosters because they like only focusing on a few characters and mastering them. We want lots of characters! CHARACTERS! CHARACTERS! CHARACTERS!

but characters are the most important part to a fighting game

and right now the gameplay isn't blowing me away

*cough*

Totally agree with you with the "but characters are the most important part to a fighting game", but that is why I want less characters so the characters there have a lot to offer. Making more characters would lead to less developed characters. I love it when my roster is tiny but so unique that it takes me 2 hours to master one.

Also, if you have an issue with the gameplay, you should tell me. What should be in the gameplay? Do you think certain characters should have certain tech? Tell me so the game can improve! cheers
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GamerChris1998
Level 4 CPU
avatar

  Captain Falcon
  123
  N/A

PostSubject: Re: A new Super Smash Bros fan-game!   Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:42 pm

That doesn't mean that I hate you. :/ Who do you take me for?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Freefork
Level 2 CPU
avatar

  Klonoa
  44
  N/A

PostSubject: Re: A new Super Smash Bros fan-game!   Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:46 pm

GamerChris1998 wrote:
That doesn't mean that I hate you. :/ Who do you take me for?

People tend to hate people on the internet that have different opinions. Like, real hate. Like, loathe hate. Some(in fact, most) people are really intense when on the internet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nix~
Level 4 CPU
avatar

  Random
  173
  N/A

PostSubject: Re: A new Super Smash Bros fan-game!   Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:48 pm

Freefork wrote:
You clearly just don't like me!You hate my playful and carefree nature and prefer people who are...plain I guess! scratch

Don't try to give feedback on this game until you can understand what I am looking for in my game and community. cat

Freefork wrote:
Yes, I'm aware of the dangers of putting fan games on Steam. Can we just talk about the game itself? Do you like it? What would you want to be improved?

Freefork wrote:
The only issue with Steam is that you must download it and GMS. And the whole "copyright".

Freefork wrote:
A lot of people didn't actually try the game when I first mentioned it.

Freefork wrote:
Because I'm such a nice, awesome, *Cough* egotistical *Cough**Cough* person, I'm allowing you beautiful people to play the game early!

Freefork wrote:
Well, I actually wanted to avoid this "original" content of your's simply because it is a waste of time.

Freefork wrote:
Adding more veterans would be silly!

Freefork wrote:
Please play a game before making a judgement please.

This is what bothers me. You seem to think that people jump at the chance to play any game like SSB. No one wants to play your game unless you give them a reason.

Another thing, you seem to be lost in what you want to do with this game. From what I gather, you want to make a smash-like game, but you don't want any of the normal characters or normal tropes in the games. How are you going to pull that off?

I played your game. First of all, I applaud your devotion to the moves and the mechanics behind them. You did very well, doing things like djc, wavedashing, and the moves themselves. But make no mistake: the single most important deterrent for anyone playing a new game is a bad control scheme. If I don't know how to do anything, I lose interest quickly. You tried, I'll give you that. The first thing I see when opening the game is the configuration menu. I suggest you make the menu easier to read (use colors that contrast) and explain what to do in words for every part. I still don't know what the 4 red/green squares on the bottom do.

As for the control system itself, c-stick and tap jump will be greatly appreciated.

The same explanation philosophy goes for the CSS. I had no idea how to choose a character, I had to mash the buttons until something happened. I shouldn't have to come here to the forums to find out what to do. It should be right there, in the game itself.

But after I got past that madness and went into the game, I did see good effort put into gameplay. You tried, you sure did. Unfortunately, there's just nothing new or special about this game. I see no reason to play this game other anything else. You have nothing new, nothing original to set it apart. It's quaint, sure. But I can get that elsewhere. Also, fix Ness' usmash. It's way too slow.

All in all, you're completely misguided in how you want to approach this game. You fail to understand that there is much more to a game than its gameplay. You also fail to understand that you must convince people to play your game. Above all, your attitude is dismissive of any comments that you don't deem "relevant" to your vision. That is a bad, bad sign.


Freefork wrote:
People tend to hate people on the internet that have different opinions. Like, real hate. Like, loathe hate. Some(in fact, most) people are really intense when on the internet.
This is not true. You have not spent enough time on the internet. If you did, you would know that most people could not care less what you think. People will be happy to help you if you manipulate them to do so.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bedoop Bro
Level 4 CPU
avatar

  Gooey
  127

PostSubject: Re: A new Super Smash Bros fan-game!   Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:55 pm

uh oh Kill Me
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OmegaSteve777
Level 7 CPU
avatar

  Gooey
  1438

PostSubject: Re: A new Super Smash Bros fan-game!   Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:02 pm

I'm jumping out of this conversation now. If there is a new version out, I'll play it and give my thoughts.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Freefork
Level 2 CPU
avatar

  Klonoa
  44
  N/A

PostSubject: Re: A new Super Smash Bros fan-game!   Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:08 pm

Bedoop Bro wrote:
uh oh Kill Me


My bad! Got too desperate. I just wanted people to give feedback on the game. I did take in all the feedback, and will apply changes. I am not advertising at all! I have posted other conversations. I just spent lots... okay too much... time here.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Freefork
Level 2 CPU
avatar

  Klonoa
  44
  N/A

PostSubject: Re: A new Super Smash Bros fan-game!   Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:13 pm

Nix~ wrote:
Freefork wrote:
You clearly just don't like me!You hate my playful and carefree nature and prefer people who are...plain I guess! scratch

Don't try to give feedback on this game until you can understand what I am looking for in my game and community. cat

Freefork wrote:
Yes, I'm aware of the dangers of putting fan games on Steam. Can we just talk about the game itself? Do you like it? What would you want to be improved?

Freefork wrote:
The only issue with Steam is that you must download it and GMS. And the whole "copyright".

Freefork wrote:
A lot of people didn't actually try the game when I first mentioned it.

Freefork wrote:
Because I'm such a nice, awesome, *Cough* egotistical *Cough**Cough* person, I'm allowing you beautiful people to play the game early!

Freefork wrote:
Well, I actually wanted to avoid this "original" content of your's simply because it is a waste of time.

Freefork wrote:
Adding more veterans would be silly!

Freefork wrote:
Please play a game before making a judgement please.

This is what bothers me. You seem to think that people jump at the chance to play any game like SSB. No one wants to play your game unless you give them a reason.

Another thing, you seem to be lost in what you want to do with this game. From what I gather, you want to make a smash-like game, but you don't want any of the normal characters or normal tropes in the games. How are you going to pull that off?

I played your game. First of all, I applaud your devotion to the moves and the mechanics behind them. You did very well, doing things like djc, wavedashing, and the moves themselves. But make no mistake: the single most important deterrent for anyone playing a new game is a bad control scheme. If I don't know how to do anything, I lose interest quickly. You tried, I'll give you that. The first thing I see when opening the game is the configuration menu. I suggest you make the menu easier to read (use colors that contrast) and explain what to do in words for every part. I still don't know what the 4 red/green squares on the bottom do.

As for the control system itself, c-stick and tap jump will be greatly appreciated.

The same explanation philosophy goes for the CSS. I had no idea how to choose a character, I had to mash the buttons until something happened. I shouldn't have to come here to the forums to find out what to do. It should be right there, in the game itself.

But after I got past that madness and went into the game, I did see good effort put into gameplay. You tried, you sure did. Unfortunately, there's just nothing new or special about this game. I see no reason to play this game other anything else. You have nothing new, nothing original to set it apart. It's quaint, sure. But I can get that elsewhere. Also, fix Ness' usmash. It's way too slow.

All in all, you're completely misguided in how you want to approach this game. You fail to understand that there is much more to a game than its gameplay. You also fail to understand that you must convince people to play your game. Above all, your attitude is dismissive of any comments that you don't deem "relevant" to your vision. That is a bad, bad sign.


Freefork wrote:
People tend to hate people on the internet that have different opinions. Like, real hate. Like, loathe hate. Some(in fact, most) people are really intense when on the internet.
This is not true. You have not spent enough time on the internet. If you did, you would know that most people could not care less what you think. People will be happy to help you if you manipulate them to do so.

I totally disagree with your internet claim. You have been in a nice community for way too long. Also, that is some serious manipulation to get some violent poster to forget his/her opinions.

Anyway, I can see your confusion. I am not advertising my game! I just want feedback. If you don't want to play it or don't want to give feedback, that is okay! king I just want to try to make the game better for everyone, not get a reputation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nix~
Level 4 CPU
avatar

  Random
  173
  N/A

PostSubject: Re: A new Super Smash Bros fan-game!   Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:21 pm

It's like you just read the last line of my post.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Freefork
Level 2 CPU
avatar

  Klonoa
  44
  N/A

PostSubject: Re: A new Super Smash Bros fan-game!   Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:23 pm

Nix~ wrote:
It's like you just read the last line of my post.

Nope. Read the whole thing. The game has a C-stick and I am planning to add tap-jump. I know menus have an issue, etc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
GamerChris1998
Level 4 CPU
avatar

  Captain Falcon
  123
  N/A

PostSubject: Re: A new Super Smash Bros fan-game!   Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:51 pm

Nix~ wrote:
It's like you just read the last line of my post.
Yet, he writes long paragraphs.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Freefork
Level 2 CPU
avatar

  Klonoa
  44
  N/A

PostSubject: Re: A new Super Smash Bros fan-game!   Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:55 pm

GamerChris1998 wrote:
Nix~ wrote:
It's like you just read the last line of my post.
Yet, he writes long paragraphs.

Excuse me? Did you read my response? confused
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dustination

avatar

  Random
  2784
  Dustination

PostSubject: Re: A new Super Smash Bros fan-game!   Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:56 pm

Come back when you have a game to show off and don't want to fight with people giving you criticism

_________________
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://projectcrusade.forumotion.com/
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: A new Super Smash Bros fan-game!   

Back to top Go down
 
A new Super Smash Bros fan-game!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2
 Similar topics
-
» Super Smash Bros. Lawl
» Super Smash Bros. Wii U/3DS - Game + Roster Discussion
» The Super Smash Bros. Speculation Thread
» Super Smash Bros
» Super Smash Bros Wii U/3DS Discussion (NEW)

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 ::  :: The Arcade-
Jump to:  
Free forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Free forum