Monokuma (Dangan Ronpa) Discussion: It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIIIME! BklTYr4

Project Crusade Community

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Monokuma (Dangan Ronpa) Discussion: It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIIIME!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Chaotic Chao
Level 4 CPU
Chaotic Chao

Phoenix Wright
  ChaotixChao

Monokuma (Dangan Ronpa) Discussion: It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIIIME! Empty
PostSubject: Monokuma (Dangan Ronpa) Discussion: It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIIIME!   Monokuma (Dangan Ronpa) Discussion: It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIIIME! EmptyWed May 18, 2016 1:07 pm

Before you read ANY of this, let me just say right now - I'll do my best not to spoil TOO much about the series, but as TVTropes will tell you it's basically impossible to discuss this game without spoiling it somehow. So if you play this game and don't want to be spoiled, I'd highly suggest skipping the plot summary and the moveset I've written.

Well, anyway, I spent hours coming up with this idea, so...if you're willing to read this wall of text, I hope you like it...! (If not, which you probably aren't, there's a tl;dr at the bottom, lol)

Who is Monokuma? What's Danganronpa?
Monokuma (Dangan Ronpa) Discussion: It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIIIME! Latest?cb=20170716023807
Monokuma is a strange teddy-bear like creature and the main antagonist of basically every significant entry of the Dangan Ronpa series, a visual novel similar to Ace Attorney in which you track down a killer to solve murder cases. Monokuma's role is that he, claiming to be the headmaster of Hope's Peak Academy, traps a group of talented students and tells them that the only way that can escape is to kill someone else. If that isn't motive enough (which it often isn't for those goody-two-shoes high-schoolers), Monokuma will ALWAYS be sure to provide one for someone, and then brutally execute them if their crime is found out by the other students during the Class Trial. However, if they can murder and get away with it (which has never happened, mind you), every OTHER student will be executed and the murderer will be set free. In the end, however, Monokuma is always defeated by the few remaining students who weren't killed.
Spoilers:

Why Monokuma? And why him over the protagonist?
Monokuma is not only the visual mascot of the Dangonronpa series, but also the only character to consistently appear as a major character in every significant game of the series. Not only this, but he is also one of the most qualified characters in the series to be a fighter (if not the most qualified) due to the huge arsenal of strange tools he uses during executions and his quirky, unrealistic characteristics otherwise. Danganronpa itself is a rather popular visual novel series, which also has an anime (and a second anime in the works), a manga, several light novels, and more to its name. While more popular in Japan, localizations have made it quite popular in the west as well thanks to its engaging plot, rich lore, complex characters, and mystery elements. Critical response to the series has been overwhelmingly positive, and popularity is on the rise with the recent release of V3 (enough to get an Honest Game Trailer, which is pretty significant, no doubt).
Of all the characters in the series, Monokuma is certainly the most qualified to be playable, as the protagonists change constantly between games (unlike in Ace Attorney), and the three main protagonists so far (Makoto Naegi, Hajime Hinata, and Kaede Akamatsu) don't really do much of anything and aren't nearly as significant or recognizable as Monokuma himself. He also fits perfectly alongside the likes of Phoenix Wright, being another visual novel rep with an unusual moveset - only a villain instead of a hero.
Also, he's a really interesting character, no? Who wouldn't want to Smash as a sadistic teddy bear?

Okay then, on to the important thing: how would he fight?
Monokuma may be small, but he is one BRUTAL bear. His attacks consist of powerful, hard-hitting projectlies, strong smash attacks with huge range, and a seemingly random assortment of dangerous tools, perfect for killing and punishing murderers. Punishing is the keyword there: make one mistake, and this bear's otherwise slow and easily predictable attaks will cream you in before you can even hope to survive with their massive strength, range, and knockback. But, that's the catch - Monokuma's a little sadistic, and simply LOVES to undergo despair himself, meaning most of his attacks are laggy and just as easy to punish as you will be if you mess up. In addition, some of his attacks rely on complete randomness, so you'll have to take risks. The despair of punishment and close-calls is the name of the game - both when fighting against and playing as Monokuma.
As stated though, as brutal as he is, Monokuma is just a small teddy-bear standing at 2'6'', so he's naturally light and easy to KO, making the despair he is forced to face when he fails all the more delicious. This makes him an unusual archetype - a slow grappler-type tank who is actually lightweight, but has the range to make up for it.

Moveset; Contains Game Spoilers:
Alternate colors:

Supporters:

tl;dr: Monokuma is the main villain of the Danganronpa series, a (mainly) murder mystery visual novel series similar to Ace Attorney. With his wacky and unique personality and oddball moveset potential, he could bring something fresh and new to Crusade.

Last edited by Chaotic Chao on Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:40 pm; edited 16 times in total
Back to top Go down
Nix~
Level 4 CPU
Nix~

N/A

PostSubject: Re: Monokuma (Dangan Ronpa) Discussion: It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIIIME!   Monokuma (Dangan Ronpa) Discussion: It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIIIME! EmptyWed May 18, 2016 1:12 pm

Only if every spoken line contains a bear pun.
Back to top Go down
Kzinssie
Level 5 CPU
Kzinssie

Shadow
  slothfulunchmeat

PostSubject: Re: Monokuma (Dangan Ronpa) Discussion: It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIIIME!   Monokuma (Dangan Ronpa) Discussion: It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIIIME! EmptyWed May 18, 2016 1:15 pm

I hate Dangan Ronpa with all my soul (I was a Something Awful member during the LP... the horror...) but this moveset seems pretty alright. Can't bring myself to support, but good on you.
Back to top Go down
Lego Shaq

Lego Shaq

Geno

PostSubject: Re: Monokuma (Dangan Ronpa) Discussion: It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIIIME!   Monokuma (Dangan Ronpa) Discussion: It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIIIME! EmptyWed May 18, 2016 1:18 pm

Holy shit finally, was even thinking about making this one myself

Support lol. Somewhat just for the "I still love Dangan Ronpa" factor and cause he'd be fun as hell, also the best Vita rep

Also why him over Naegi/Hinata is not important. It's "why he should be in". What has he done for gaming? Is he wanted by fans? Etc, etc.

Anyways support, like the moveset too
Back to top Go down
wheeled_tank
Level 6 CPU
wheeled_tank

Phoenix Wright
  wheeled_tank

PostSubject: Re: Monokuma (Dangan Ronpa) Discussion: It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIIIME!   Monokuma (Dangan Ronpa) Discussion: It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIIIME! EmptyWed May 18, 2016 1:19 pm

Never heard of the series, but the info seems to be a nice (dis)harmony with Ace Attorney, and the moveset seems to be "High-risk High-Reward." Generally, I prefer the main character, but the "Poster Child" characters are still very important. I wouldn't mind him, but as mentioned above, I don't know enough about him OR the series, so I can't properly support.

Edit: If a character has a large amount of range, is it possible for them to activate the Down Special and not get hit?
Back to top Go down
Chaotic Chao
Level 4 CPU
Chaotic Chao

Phoenix Wright
  ChaotixChao

PostSubject: Re: Monokuma (Dangan Ronpa) Discussion: It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIIIME!   Monokuma (Dangan Ronpa) Discussion: It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIIIME! EmptyWed May 18, 2016 1:32 pm

Lego Shaq wrote:
Holy shit finally, was even thinking about making this one myself

Support lol. Somewhat just for the "I still love Dangan Ronpa" factor and cause he'd be fun as hell, also the best Vita rep

Also why him over Naegi/Hinata is not important. It's "why he should be in". What has he done for gaming? Is he wanted by fans? Etc, etc.

Anyways support, like the moveset too
Heh, thanks for the support!
To be honest, I've no idea if he's wanted by fans and I'm not sure to what extent he's had on the gaming community as a whole. Admittedly I kind of took a risk with this character, heh...

wheeled tank wrote:
Never heard of the series, but the info seems to be a nice (dis)harmony with Ace Attorney, and the moveset seems to be "High-risk High-Reward." Generally, I prefer the main character, but the "Poster Child" characters are still very important. I wouldn't mind him, but as mentioned above, I don't know enough about him OR the series, so I can't properly support.

Edit: If a character has a large amount of range, is it possible for them to activate the Down Special and not get hit?
Understandable, but I'm glad you like the moveset. All those wasted hours, paid off!
As for the d-special, yeah, but only for projectile attacks. No character should have range long enough to hit him with a physical non-projectile attack from the front and not get stabbed.
Back to top Go down
King Proto
Level 5 CPU
King Proto

ProtoBlur

PostSubject: Re: Monokuma (Dangan Ronpa) Discussion: It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIIIME!   Monokuma (Dangan Ronpa) Discussion: It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIIIME! EmptyWed May 18, 2016 1:36 pm

While im in the same boat as tank (never heard of the series) the move set is very well made and he seems like a fun character to play as.

Support!
Back to top Go down
wheeled_tank
Level 6 CPU
wheeled_tank

Phoenix Wright
  wheeled_tank

PostSubject: Re: Monokuma (Dangan Ronpa) Discussion: It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIIIME!   Monokuma (Dangan Ronpa) Discussion: It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIIIME! EmptyWed May 18, 2016 1:40 pm

Chaotic Chao wrote:

Understandable, but I'm glad you like the moveset. All those wasted hours, paid off!
As for the d-special, yeah, but only for projectile attacks. No character should have range long enough to hit him with a physical non-projectile attack from the front and not get stabbed.
Ok. I just wanted a general idea of how far it could reach. (It could even get some opponents with their projectiles. Neat)

When/If I play the game, I will be able to give a more "Refined" idea of my support.
Back to top Go down
eris27100
Level 3 CPU
eris27100

N/A

PostSubject: Re: Monokuma (Dangan Ronpa) Discussion: It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIIIME!   Monokuma (Dangan Ronpa) Discussion: It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIIIME! EmptyFri May 20, 2016 2:29 pm

support, mainly for all the reference to the executions
Back to top Go down
DemonicGamerAzazel
Level 6 CPU
DemonicGamerAzazel

PostSubject: Re: Monokuma (Dangan Ronpa) Discussion: It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIIIME!   Monokuma (Dangan Ronpa) Discussion: It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIIIME! EmptyWed May 25, 2016 5:40 pm

This is stupid.

I love it, support.
Back to top Go down
Braystar
Level 7 CPU
Braystar

Waluigi
  N/A

PostSubject: Re: Monokuma (Dangan Ronpa) Discussion: It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIIIME!   Monokuma (Dangan Ronpa) Discussion: It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIIIME! EmptySun Jun 26, 2016 10:26 pm

As a massive Dangan Ronpa fan, HUGE SUPPORT
Back to top Go down
MisterValentine
Level 1 CPU
MisterValentine

DustyTheHusky

PostSubject: Re: Monokuma (Dangan Ronpa) Discussion: It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIIIME!   Monokuma (Dangan Ronpa) Discussion: It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIIIME! EmptyMon Jun 27, 2016 6:30 am

Supporting this because Monokuma's adorableness. I'm a fan of the series, and I would like to see the support for this character to grow.
Back to top Go down
Chaotic Chao
Level 4 CPU
Chaotic Chao

Phoenix Wright
  ChaotixChao

PostSubject: Re: Monokuma (Dangan Ronpa) Discussion: It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIIIME!   Monokuma (Dangan Ronpa) Discussion: It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIIIME! EmptyThu Jun 30, 2016 9:49 pm

Heh, glad this is getting a lot of support! I added a list of supporters to the OP, and hopefully said list will grow over time~
On a side note, I didn't add Nix~ because I cannot guarantee that Monokuma will spout out a bad pun for every single attack. Regrettably.
Back to top Go down
davi_taborda
Level 2 CPU

N/A

PostSubject: Re: Monokuma (Dangan Ronpa) Discussion: It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIIIME!   Monokuma (Dangan Ronpa) Discussion: It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIIIME! EmptyFri Aug 05, 2016 3:23 pm

no no no i not support dangan ronpa is anime not anime characters! >Sad
Back to top Go down
OmegaSteve777
Level 8 CPU
OmegaSteve777

Gooey

PostSubject: Re: Monokuma (Dangan Ronpa) Discussion: It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIIIME!   Monokuma (Dangan Ronpa) Discussion: It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIIIME! EmptyFri Aug 05, 2016 3:39 pm

davi_taborda wrote:
no no no i not support dangan ronpa is anime not anime characters! >Sad

"Danganronpa is a Japanese video game franchise created and developed by Spike Chunsoft for the PlayStation Portable, PlayStation Vita, iOS, Android, and home computers." -Wikipedia

Back to top Go down
wheeled_tank
Level 6 CPU
wheeled_tank

Phoenix Wright
  wheeled_tank

PostSubject: Re: Monokuma (Dangan Ronpa) Discussion: It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIIIME!   Monokuma (Dangan Ronpa) Discussion: It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIIIME! EmptyFri Aug 05, 2016 3:48 pm

So does that mean we have to remove Mario because he's a cartoon character? [SARCASM OFF]
Back to top Go down
Braystar
Level 7 CPU
Braystar

Waluigi
  N/A

PostSubject: Re: Monokuma (Dangan Ronpa) Discussion: It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIIIME!   Monokuma (Dangan Ronpa) Discussion: It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIIIME! EmptySat Aug 06, 2016 4:07 am

Yes, Dangan Ronpa has an anime series
But it was a videogame first and formost
Should we remove Sonic because he had an anime?
No, that's stupid
Back to top Go down
Sean_McMuffin
Level 4 CPU
Sean_McMuffin

Mach Rider
  EnderSean311

PostSubject: Re: Monokuma (Dangan Ronpa) Discussion: It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIIIME!   Monokuma (Dangan Ronpa) Discussion: It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIIIME! EmptyMon Aug 15, 2016 1:40 am

A danganronpa character thread at last! Monokuma would be awesome in smash, so you definitely have my support. However, I think someone like Komaru would make a better character. She could use her gun's different abilities.
Back to top Go down
Lego Shaq

Lego Shaq

Geno

PostSubject: Re: Monokuma (Dangan Ronpa) Discussion: It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIIIME!   Monokuma (Dangan Ronpa) Discussion: It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIIIME! EmptySat Aug 20, 2016 2:32 pm

Sean_McMuffin wrote:
A danganronpa character thread at last! Monokuma would be awesome in smash, so you definitely have my support. However, I think someone like Komaru would make a better character. She could use her gun's different abilities.
I love Komaru, but definitely not. Monobear's the mascot; Komaru's the protagonist of a spin-off.
Back to top Go down
Roy
Level 7 CPU
Roy

RoyMaster4

PostSubject: Re: Monokuma (Dangan Ronpa) Discussion: It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIIIME!   Monokuma (Dangan Ronpa) Discussion: It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIIIME! EmptyWed Oct 05, 2016 10:41 am

As I've recently played through this series, I gotta give this support.

As for the moveset, it definitely feels inspired. Though I feel like it could be even *more* inspired - the up aerial is odd in that it's the only attack based on a murder rather than an execution. Surely there's more murder methods that could fit? A knife, baseball bat, poison, etc. You could even use non-murderous weapons (the bottles with the chess pieces, for example). I also feel like the final smash is less special when the 'killing blow' is also in the down smash - if you want to keep the general effect the same, why not use something like Nagito's spear? By the way, the dash attack is missing.

Again, I like the moveset, but I think it could be even better.
Back to top Go down
Braystar
Level 7 CPU
Braystar

Waluigi
  N/A

PostSubject: Re: Monokuma (Dangan Ronpa) Discussion: It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIIIME!   Monokuma (Dangan Ronpa) Discussion: It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIIIME! EmptyWed Oct 05, 2016 10:55 pm

Roy spoilers, man.
Ah fuck it, it's to be expected.
But will anything from the DR3 anime be added?
Back to top Go down
AEM

AEM

Ariand54321

PostSubject: Re: Monokuma (Dangan Ronpa) Discussion: It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIIIME!   Monokuma (Dangan Ronpa) Discussion: It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIIIME! EmptyThu Oct 06, 2016 2:32 am

Braystar wrote:
Roy spoilers, man.
Ah fuck it, it's to be expected.
But will anything from the DR3 anime be added?
Monokuma doesn't really have much of a role in the DR3 anime so there's no real reason to add anything.
Back to top Go down
Braystar
Level 7 CPU
Braystar

Waluigi
  N/A

PostSubject: Re: Monokuma (Dangan Ronpa) Discussion: It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIIIME!   Monokuma (Dangan Ronpa) Discussion: It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIIIME! EmptyThu Oct 06, 2016 2:39 am

Apparently the original Japanese Voice actor/actress died so they didn't use Monokuma so much.
Back to top Go down
eris27100
Level 3 CPU
eris27100

N/A

PostSubject: Re: Monokuma (Dangan Ronpa) Discussion: It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIIIME!   Monokuma (Dangan Ronpa) Discussion: It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIIIME! EmptySat Oct 08, 2016 4:04 pm

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Azure_Raven
Level 4 CPU

Mr. Game & Watch

PostSubject: Re: Monokuma (Dangan Ronpa) Discussion: It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIIIME!   Monokuma (Dangan Ronpa) Discussion: It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIIIME! EmptyFri Oct 14, 2016 2:40 pm

@AEM

Actually, regarding DR3, there are some possibilities:

The Forbidden Actions/NG codes could be applied in a throw, where Monokuma attaches a Bangle onto the grabbed opponent, only the bracelet activiates immediately, slowly damaging the opponent.

As for the Suicide Video...:

Aside from that, I agree with Roy in the idea that the moveset could be more "inspired". For example, you could include the murder weapons from DR1 and DR2 (the kitchen knife, dumbbell, or Justice Hammer for example) or clues used in the mysteries (i.e. The Monokuma Bottles, glowing knife in DR2: Case 1) or even misc items, such as the Hacking Gun. Most of these attacks could be used in attacks, though they could possibly be in a throw as well.
Back to top Go down
eris27100
Level 3 CPU
eris27100

N/A

PostSubject: Re: Monokuma (Dangan Ronpa) Discussion: It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIIIME!   Monokuma (Dangan Ronpa) Discussion: It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIIIME! EmptySat Oct 15, 2016 12:16 pm

you know the reason it was in a spoiler is because its important to the plot and thus should be tagged as a spoiler
Back to top Go down
Chaotic Chao
Level 4 CPU
Chaotic Chao

Phoenix Wright
  ChaotixChao

PostSubject: Re: Monokuma (Dangan Ronpa) Discussion: It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIIIME!   Monokuma (Dangan Ronpa) Discussion: It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIIIME! EmptyThu Oct 12, 2017 8:36 pm

Bump: In light of both Danganronpa V3's recent release and the Danganronpa 3 anime, I've updated and improved Monokuma's moveset accordingly.
If you're wary of spoilers, you may not want to look at it. Seriously. Don't come crying to me about how I ruined the game for you...
Back to top Go down
Objection!_mania
Level 1 CPU
Objection!_mania

Shantae
  N/A

PostSubject: Re: Monokuma (Dangan Ronpa) Discussion: It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIIIME!   Monokuma (Dangan Ronpa) Discussion: It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIIIME! EmptyFri Nov 03, 2017 7:50 am

EASY support from me,i love danganronpa
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Monokuma (Dangan Ronpa) Discussion: It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIIIME!   Monokuma (Dangan Ronpa) Discussion: It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIIIME! Empty

Back to top Go down

Monokuma (Dangan Ronpa) Discussion: It's...PUNISHMENT TIIIIIME!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1