HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Character Removal for a Practical Roster?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Should some characters be removed from the game?
Yes, remove some characters.
36%
 36% [ 14 ]
No, keep the roster.
59%
 59% [ 23 ]
I decline to comment on the matter.
5%
 5% [ 2 ]
Other
0%
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 39
 

AuthorMessage
UcheD914
Level 3 CPU


  Mario
  50
  Nin_Fan914

PostSubject: Character Removal for a Practical Roster?   Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:57 pm

I ask in poll form whether any character should be removed from Super Smash Bros. Crusade.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OmegaSteve777
Level 7 CPU


  Gooey
  1319

PostSubject: Re: Character Removal for a Practical Roster?   Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:07 pm

It has been confirmed that no characters will be removed.

And I'll be honest, the only character that should be removed would be Ristar imo
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ridori
Level 2 CPU


  Ridley
  25

PostSubject: Re: Character Removal for a Practical Roster?   Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:24 am

OmegaSteve777 wrote:
It has been confirmed that no characters will be removed.

And I'll be honest, the only character that should be removed would be Ristar imo
I'd say Goku should be removed if someone is ever getting removed. He doesn't belongs here, being 4th party character and all, and his presence kinda taints the whole roster, which is already too big just to have big roster. It still is not as bad as SSF2 at least (3 anime characters? Really?).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TrinitroMan
Level 7 CPU


  1244

PostSubject: Re: Character Removal for a Practical Roster?   Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:52 am

At least it stays at 3 anime characters. If it wouldn't, then I would had to puke.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OmegaSteve777
Level 7 CPU


  Gooey
  1319

PostSubject: Re: Character Removal for a Practical Roster?   Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:01 am

I like to imagine Goku as some sort of special guest, I mean for whatever reason, he's really wanted in Smash Bros. and he's well known. Unlike Ristar who is not really wanted and nobody really know who he is.

I know the same can be said for Gooey or Mach Rider, but they are characters that are owned by Nintendo so they get a freebie in my book.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TaXMaN
Level 6 CPU


  Pac-Man
  624

PostSubject: Re: Character Removal for a Practical Roster?   Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:29 am

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Weegee. Not that he or Goku's presence bothers me. They've been here for so long already it would cause more harm than good by removing them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ridori
Level 2 CPU


  Ridley
  25

PostSubject: Re: Character Removal for a Practical Roster?   Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:03 am

OmegaSteve777 wrote:
I like to imagine Goku as some sort of special guest, I mean for whatever reason, he's really wanted in Smash Bros. and he's well known. Unlike Ristar who is not really wanted and nobody really know who he is.

I know the same can be said for Gooey or Mach Rider, but they are characters that are owned by Nintendo so they get a freebie in my book.
Ristar is at least a video game character. Goku isn't and makes the roster feel like it's some random kid's dream roster thing. We just need Shrek to make it complete.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kzinssie
Level 5 CPU


  Mach Rider
  407
  slothfulunchmeat

PostSubject: Re: Character Removal for a Practical Roster?   Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:27 am

Keep the roster.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OmegaSteve777
Level 7 CPU


  Gooey
  1319

PostSubject: Re: Character Removal for a Practical Roster?   Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:04 am

But Goku has had his fair share of video games, plus this is a fan game so we should break a few rules to make our game "stand out."

Also I don't think anyone has mentioned Weegee because he is 1. Top Tier 2. Joke Character 3. Nintendo related meme.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DestinyIntwined
Level 6 CPU


  Little Mac
  830
  DestinyIntwined

PostSubject: Re: Character Removal for a Practical Roster?   Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:17 pm

OmegaSteve777 wrote:
I like to imagine Goku as some sort of special guest, I mean for whatever reason, he's really wanted in Smash Bros. and he's well known. Unlike Ristar who is not really wanted and nobody really know who he is.

I know the same can be said for Gooey or Mach Rider, but they are characters that are owned by Nintendo so they get a freebie in my book.

I've played Ristar, and well it's a really fun game with a nice gimmick, but yes he is obscure, but who knew of Shulk or Corrin when they were pulled in out of the blue
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OmegaSteve777
Level 7 CPU


  Gooey
  1319

PostSubject: Re: Character Removal for a Practical Roster?   Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:33 pm

But Shulk was one of the characters that everyone knew was going to be in Sm4sh. Plus from what I am told, Fates is doing better than Awakening.

Besides that, removing characters would be the opposite of practical. It would only make the people that liked the removed characters have less of a reason to play. It'd be like if the next Sm4sh update removed Wii Fit Trainer and Dark Pit.


Last edited by OmegaSteve777 on Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DestinyIntwined
Level 6 CPU


  Little Mac
  830
  DestinyIntwined

PostSubject: Re: Character Removal for a Practical Roster?   Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:39 pm

But before Sm4sh, did you know who Shulk was? Plus Corrin was added to promote fates, most don't know these characters, until they got into smash
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OmegaSteve777
Level 7 CPU


  Gooey
  1319

PostSubject: Re: Character Removal for a Practical Roster?   Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:48 pm

I didn't know who Shulk was because I was at the awkward age of "Too old for Kirby" but "Too young for Fire Emblem" so it was near impossible for me to know who he was. So really I didn't really even know who Captain Falcon was besides "that guy from Smash Bros. who wants to see my moves." I think the point you're trying to make is how a character being obscure doesn't mean they should be removed, and I agree for the most part. I just think that Ristar is so obscure that unlike Xenoblade or Fire Emblem, he doesn't really even have a big enough fan base to make people happy.

With all of that said, I still believe that removing characters is a waste of time.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VultureDuck
Level 6 CPU


  Ridley
  850

PostSubject: Re: Character Removal for a Practical Roster?   Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:02 pm

If i'm able to remove one character, I would go with Shadow. I feel that his specials are bland, and I think that it would be better if there were only three Sonic reps.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lego Shaq



  Petey Piranha
  1359

PostSubject: Re: Character Removal for a Practical Roster?   Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:23 pm

There is literally no reason to remove characters. What do you think makes Crusade so charming? It's known for it's creative roster, especially Weegee. No publicity is bad publicity.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
AmareTSM



  Mario
  113
  N/A

PostSubject: Re: Character Removal for a Practical Roster?   Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:02 pm

Read the Source Gaming interview. They said they're not sure if they will, implying that it's a possibility. I think that we should tbh, it isn't a good look having tons of irrelevant characters and memes.
Lego Shaq wrote:
No publicity is bad publicity.
Wrong. When a YouTuber making a video saying that "This is one of those games that you play it for about half an hour and fully understand it, so you close the window and never play it again" is the most popular video of your game out there, you know there's a problem. Nothing wrong with having a sense of humor, but getting labeled as a joke/meme when you're trying to be a competitive fighting game is bad.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kzinssie
Level 5 CPU


  Mach Rider
  407
  slothfulunchmeat

PostSubject: Re: Character Removal for a Practical Roster?   Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:07 pm

A lot of comments on the Alpharad/Dunkey/Vinesauce videos are "shit, that looks kinda awesome actually". Just because the guy's mocking it doesn't mean people aren't going to be interested, because there is an appeal to a game that just has a shitton of characters for the sake of it. It's what made me interested.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lego Shaq



  Petey Piranha
  1359

PostSubject: Re: Character Removal for a Practical Roster?   Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:57 pm

AmareTSM wrote:
Read the Source Gaming interview. They said they're not sure if they will, implying that it's a possibility. I think that we should tbh, it isn't a good look having tons of irrelevant characters and memes.
Lego Shaq wrote:
No publicity is bad publicity.
Wrong. When a YouTuber making a video saying that "This is one of those games that you play it for about half an hour and fully understand it, so you close the window and never play it again" is the most popular video of your game out there, you know there's a problem. Nothing wrong with having a sense of humor, but getting labeled as a joke/meme when you're trying to be a competitive fighting game is bad.
You're correct, actually, there is SOME bad publicity, but the majority actually can appreciate the game for what it is even with characters like Weegee. This is the kind of crowd you want if you want to become a competitive fighting game.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AmareTSM



  Mario
  113
  N/A

PostSubject: Re: Character Removal for a Practical Roster?   Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:35 pm

Lego Shaq wrote:
but the majority actually can appreciate the game for what it is even with characters like Weegee. This is the kind of crowd you want if you want to become a competitive fighting game.
While this can be said for most games out there, games like Crusade are in a unique situation. For example, Sakurai could get away with adding whoever he wanted (I mean, maybe not Weegee, but you get the point) simply because no matter what, people are gonna play it because it's Smash Bros., and people know that it's gonna be high quality. It's not like people are gonna dismiss and official smash game because the roster looks dumb. Crusade however doesn't have that luxury. Sakurai doesn't have to convince people that his games are good, yet we DO. People WILL assume that this game isn't worth playing because of things like a dumb roster with memes and other questionable choices. It's a matter of judging a book by it's cover. The contents inside might be worth it, but you don't really know if it's even worth checking out, so you judge by the cover. Crusade's cover has Weegee. JK, but in all seriousness, it's not a good look.

tl;dr: While people who have tried the game can appreciate it, even with it's questionable roster, people who haven't tried it might dismiss it without trying it due to it's roster making the game look dumb.

And for those saying that cutting a character is nothing but waste, I get where you're coming from, but you're wrong. Take a character like Toad for example. You might be thinking, "He's a complete character, why remove him?". But think about it this way. His sprite is pretty bad, and will need to be redone at some point. His moveset is lackluster and bland. He could (debateabley) use a revamp. All of this stuff will take time, time that could be going to developing newcomers or respriting characters that are much more iconic, relevant, and let's just face it, more valuable than Toad. Yet we can't keep him in his current state, because that doesn't match the level of quality that we want to have. So having characters like Snivy, Toad, Ristar, etc. IS bad, because they take time away from other characters that could really use it (Marth, Fox/Falco, Peach, Yoshi, DK, ZSS, etc.), when they themselves don't really offer much to the game aside from pleasing the few people that play them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kzinssie
Level 5 CPU


  Mach Rider
  407
  slothfulunchmeat

PostSubject: Re: Character Removal for a Practical Roster?   Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:45 pm

Is removing characters in the current patch and then readding them later when they don't suck an option?

Quite frankly, cutting huge swaths of content because somebody on Youtube made fun of you seems way more pathetic and immature than the act of having Weegee in the game, especially when a large part of the game's appeal is the huge roster.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AmareTSM



  Mario
  113
  N/A

PostSubject: Re: Character Removal for a Practical Roster?   Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:54 pm

Kzinssie wrote:
Is removing characters in the current patch and then readding them later when they don't suck an option?

If the character would be worth "readding" then we'd probably just keep them in in their current state until we could get around to fixing them. The thing that separates a character like, say, Fox, from say, Toad, is that everyone WANTS to see Fox get redone, while Toad is just kinda, there. I mean, we could redo him, but it honestly wouldn't be worth it because at that point, you might as well add another character.

Just gonna point out that this is just my personal speculation lol, so don't be too scared for your characters yet, they don't seem to be in that much danger as of now.

Edit:
Kzinssie wrote:
Quite frankly, cutting huge swaths of content because somebody on Youtube made fun of you seems way more pathetic and immature than the act of having Weegee in the game, especially when a large part of the game's appeal is the huge roster.
For one, it wouldn't be huge swaths of content, it would be no more than say, five characters, and the game would still have it's large appealing roster. Secondly, this isn't just because of the Alpharad video, or any video. I've been saying/thinking stuff like this before any really popular videos of Crusade even existed. I was just talking about the image of Crusade in general. Things like the Alpharad video only make it more apparent that people do actually get turned off by this stuff. Note how in the video he never talks about the quality or feel of the game; just the portraits, the roster, and other dumb stuff.

I didn't see this edit while I was typing my reply to this lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kzinssie
Level 5 CPU


  Mach Rider
  407
  slothfulunchmeat

PostSubject: Re: Character Removal for a Practical Roster?   Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:05 pm

I mean, the unconventional character choices were, as I said, part of what made me so interested to begin with. Porky? Waluigi? Tingle? Phoenix Wright? Snivy? I don't know if I'd still be into it as much if too many of those were dropped, and I doubt I'm the only one. It's what gets people into the game initially. Let's be honest, nobody started playing Crusade as a competitive fighter, because the official Smash games, Project M, and even Rivals of Aether exist. People get into it because some random-ass character they like is in, then they start playing competitively.

tl;dr the "less important" characters like Porky/Waluigi/Toad/Snivy are actually far more important than established Smash characters because they get people into the game initially
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AmareTSM



  Mario
  113
  N/A

PostSubject: Re: Character Removal for a Practical Roster?   Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:11 pm

Kzinssie wrote:
I mean, the unconventional character choices were, as I said, part of what made me so interested to begin with. Porky? Waluigi? Tingle? Phoenix Wright? Snivy? I don't know if I'd still be into it as much if too many of those were dropped, and I doubt I'm the only one.
Yes, and those characters, aside from maybe Snivy, are all fine. Those aren't the characters that should be removed. A character being unconventional isn't a problem, but if their unconventionality is a turn off, that's when it DOES turn into a problem.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kzinssie
Level 5 CPU


  Mach Rider
  407
  slothfulunchmeat

PostSubject: Re: Character Removal for a Practical Roster?   Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:13 pm

So to be clear: the only characters in any real danger are (in order from least to most sad I'd be if they were removed) Weegee, Goku, and Snivy?

I'll defend Snivy to the grave but other than that I can't say I'm too upset. Still seems like kind of a waste, but eh.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
AmareTSM



  Mario
  113
  N/A

PostSubject: Re: Character Removal for a Practical Roster?   Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:33 pm

Pretty much. TBH the only characters I've heard any devs ACTUALLY talk about removing are Weegee and Goku. Not even Snivy, so I guess you'd be safe lol.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SS_Maeweather
Level 5 CPU


  Knuckles
  304
  ProtoBlur

PostSubject: Re: Character Removal for a Practical Roster?   Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:12 pm

Honestly I feel like no characters should be removed. Mainly because I love the diversity of the characters. We have joke, underrated, and popular characters all in one smash fan game and I love it. Also, it really bothers me that people will overlook this game because of 1 or 2 characters they feel are stupid, but if there is anything i'v ever learned is that you can't please everyone.

All in all, I love the crusade roster and I hope to see awesome characters in the future.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kzinssie
Level 5 CPU


  Mach Rider
  407
  slothfulunchmeat

PostSubject: Re: Character Removal for a Practical Roster?   Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:14 pm

If nothing else we should at least add a modern meme in addition to Weegee

I propose 7 GRAND DAD (i might actually make a moveset for 7 GRAND DAD now that i think about it lol)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TaXMaN
Level 6 CPU


  Pac-Man
  624

PostSubject: Re: Character Removal for a Practical Roster?   Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:28 pm

Kzinssie wrote:
If nothing else we should at least add a modern meme in addition to Weegee

I propose 7 GRAND DAD (i might actually make a moveset for 7 GRAND DAD now that i think about it lol)

Let's try not to turn this into M.U.G.E.N or something.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kzinssie
Level 5 CPU


  Mach Rider
  407
  slothfulunchmeat

PostSubject: Re: Character Removal for a Practical Roster?   Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:34 pm

Yeah I know, I was being facetious

Making movesets is fun tho
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lego Shaq



  Petey Piranha
  1359

PostSubject: Re: Character Removal for a Practical Roster?   Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:44 pm

Kzinssie wrote:
If nothing else we should at least add a modern meme in addition to Weegee

I propose 7 GRAND DAD (i might actually make a moveset for 7 GRAND DAD now that i think about it lol)
Nah, he's already in Weegee's moveset iirc plus he's not a meme that represents these modern times
Pepe maybe
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Character Removal for a Practical Roster?   Today at 11:52 pm

Back to top Go down
 
Character Removal for a Practical Roster?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 7Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Warmachine Character Jack Updgrade Kits
» move character to another realm - Yes, you can.
» Destiny of the Dreamweaver Character Profiles
» Who is the scariest video game character to meet in real life?
» =[C]=TheCompany Clan Roster

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 ::  :: Character Discussion-
Jump to:  
Free forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Free forum