HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Yarn Yoshi (Yoshi) Discussion: Wonderful Fighter of Wool! - Best Character Suggestion Thread of 2016

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Bedoop Bro
Level 4 CPU


  Gooey
  123

PostSubject: Yarn Yoshi (Yoshi) Discussion: Wonderful Fighter of Wool! - Best Character Suggestion Thread of 2016   Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:25 pm

Hey, Bedoop actually got around to doing it. Good job, Me. (Thanks, Me!)

Debut: Yoshi's Woolly World (2015)
Latest Appearence: Yoshi's Woolly World (2015)
(What a history, amirite)

Series Icon;

Yarn Yoshi is the same fellow as our beloved Dinosaur, Yoshi, but this time around he's taken a more...comforting approach, to say the least.
Hailing from Craft Island, a small place in the middle of an unknown location (Probably someone's living room), this small fellow has all his friends unraveled, abducted and scattered by the sinister Kamek in an attempt for...who knows what? That's your job to find out. And probably stop it. Because that's what you do when you're a video game protagonist. You stop the bad guys...And stuff.

Yarn Yoshi could fit in the world of Crusade as an alternate for Yoshi* with a vastly different playstyle as Yoshi while still having a Yoshi feel to him, as well as being a second representitive of Yoshi's "series", giving almost all of the Original 12's series (Mario, Yoshi, DKC, Star Fox, Metroid, Kirby, Zelda, Earthbound and Pokemon. All that's missing is F-Zero) some buddies which is nice in my opinion. Probably means nothing to the developers eyes, but it'd be nice as a bit of a retrospective seeing how Series grow, in my eyes.
Plus, Yoshi's Woolly World is a pretty big game. Got good reviews from everyone and their grandmother, finally brought Yoshi back to that "Casual, yet Challenging as all heck" feel, got rid of the constant off-key kazoos from that terrible abomination known as Yoshi's New Island and is basically one of the best things the Wii U has to offer in terms of 2D Platformers. The game just makes ya feel good. ...Ironic because the developer is Good-Feel Games.
The only real problem would be the spritework requiring a lot of effort, since Yarn Yoshi is surprisingly detailed despite his size and also his ability to transform.
*We'll touch up on this down below

THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART;
Unlike probably almost everybody else in the Support Subforum here, Yarn Yoshi (In this thread's intention) is an Alternate Character for Yoshi, similar to the likes of Weegee, Evil Ryu, Pichu and Zero Suit Samus. Yarn Yoshi ain't filling up no space on the roster, he's safely tucked behind Yoshi as an alternate. This is because Yarn Yoshi and Yoshi are the same characters, the only difference being appearence and moveset.

- - -

BASIC THINGS


ENTRANCE
A Yoshi Egg made of yarn appears on the stage, and unravels revealing Yarn Yoshi as he jumps into the fray! This is identical to his Level Entrance from Yoshi's Woolly World.

IDLE
Yarn Yoshi stands there minding his own, occasionally looking around, similar to Crash Bandicoot's idle.

CROUCH
Yarn Yoshi's crouch makes him duck down, similar to Yoshi. But due to his smaller size, he can avoid things that Yoshi normally can't, meaning you can get past some attacks when it counts!

WALK/RUN
Although Yarn Yoshi walks at a slower pace than Yoshi, Yarn Yoshi can turn his feet into wheels for his dash, which lets him move faster than his fellow dino!
Strange, isn't it?

JUMPS
Yoshi and Yarn Yoshi have almost the same jump height at the end of the day, but unlike Yoshi, Yarn Yoshi doesn't have Super Armor on his secondary jump.
Instead, Yarn Yoshi can turn his feet into propellors to give himself 3 additional jumps instead of 1; letting Yarn Yoshi take his time when recovering, while still maintaining the height of his fellow dino.

- - -

STANDARD ATTACKS


JAB
Attack Type - Physical
Since Yarn Yoshi lacks the hindlegs of his brother's possession, Yarn Yoshi makes do by having a 2-hit combo, with a headbutt to keep your foe in place followed by a crouching tail spin that pops opponents upward, allowing for both area control and combo starting!

FORWARD TILT
Attack Type - Disjoint Physical (Sweetspot/Tipper on end of Tongue)
Yarn Yoshi extends his tongue, which pulls foes in with high hitstun for a quick way to start combos or prepare kill moves!

UPWARD TILT
Attack Type - Disjoint Physical (Sweetspot/Tipper on end of Tongue)
Yarn Yoshi sticks his tongue out while looking upwards, which pulls opponents in with a good amount of hitstun (Less than FTilt, but still a good amount) to begin combos!

DOWNWARD TILT
Attack Type - Disjoint Physical (Sweetspot/Tipper on end of Tongue)
Yarn Yoshi quickly jabs with his tongue similar to a sucker-punch motion to pop opponents both above and towards Yarn Yoshi, allowing for followups!

- - -

SMASH ATTACKS


FORWARD SMASH
Attack Type - Disjoint? Physical? Pikmin? IDK Let's just call it a "Sakurai Attack"
Yarn Yoshi spawns a Yarned-Up Chomp Rock out of who-knows-where and pushes it forward with power varying on how long you charge the move! Less charge = less movement, while Charging it up gives it a hefty shove in the right direction with some serious power! After rolling for a bit, the Chomp Rock poofs away, back to who-knows-where.

UP SMASH
Attack Type - Solid Projectile
Yarn Yoshi chucks a Yarn Ball above his head, acting as a projectile! Charging it makes the Yarn Ball bigger and more powerful, as well as piercing through multiple foes, but using it immediately can only hit one foe and doesn't do much damage, but enough knockback to serve it's purpose.

DOWN SMASH
Attack Type - Solid Projectile
Yarn Yoshi hurls a Yarn Ball infront of his feet, acting as a projectile! Charging it makes the Yarn Ball bigger and more powerful, as well as piercing through multiple opponents, but using it without charge can only hit a lone fighter.
On Solid Ground, the Yarn Ball bounces above Yoshi to attack diagonally above Yarn Yoshi, but using it at an edge can toss it diagonally downward to mess up a foe's recovery!

- - -

AERIAL ATTACKS

NEUTRAL AIR
Attack Type - Physical
Yarn Yoshi twirls in the air for a multi-hit move!

FORWARD AIR
Attack Type - Disjoint Physical (Sweetspot/Tipper on end of Tongue)
In vain to his Forward Tilt, Yarn Yoshi's Forward Air has him sticking out his tongue ahead of him, but instead of pulling enemies towards him, his tongue actually sends opponents both away and slightly downward, allowing for things like gimps or just getting pressure off the fluffy dino.

UP AIR
Attack Type - Disjoint Physical (Sweetspot/Tipper on end of Tongue)
Similar to Yarn Yoshi's Up Tilt, Yarn Yoshi sticks his tongue out above him. But unlike said Up Tilt, Yarn Yoshi's Aerial Variant actually smacks opponents away from Yarn Yoshi and into the air, allowing for quick kills at high percents and combo extenders at low percents.

DOWN AIR
Attack Type - Stall-And-Fall
Yarn Yoshi ravels up into a Hammer form, and crashes towards the ground, Meteor Smashing any foes in the air and Burying anyone on the ground when Yarn Yoshi lands!
...Just use it in a safe place, would you? Yarn Yoshi can't change back until he hits solid ground.

BACK AIR
Attack Type - Physical
Just like Yoshi, Yarn Yoshi extends his little tail behind him for a 3-hit combo!

- - -

SPECIAL MOVES

NEUTRAL SPECIAL - Mermaid Yoshi!
Attack Type - Projectile (Bubbles) / Physical (Spin)
Yarn Yoshi ravels up his lower body to take on the form of a mermaid! In this stage, Yoshi spins around and spawns Bubbles on both sides of him that slowly travel up.
Both Bubbles behave like moving Bumpers and bounce anyone (Including Yarn Yoshi himself) in the direction they came from, similar to Bumpers in the Casino Night Zone.

SIDE SPECIAL (GROUND) - Moto Yoshi!
Attack Type - Physical
On the Ground, Yarn Yoshi ravels his Arms and Feet to take the form of a motorcycle! Similar to Yoshi's Egg Roll, Yarn Yoshi can dash ahead and knock opponents upward. But unlike Yoshi, Yarn Yoshi can't turn around in this state, but he can jump while on the go.
He can also airdodge/wavedash out of this if he leaps off the cliff, just in case.

SIDE SPECIAL (AERIAL) - Sky Pop Yoshi!
Attack Type - Physical (Plane) / Projectile (Torpedoes)
In the Air, Yarn Yoshi ravels his body and takes the form of an Aeroplane! In this state, Yarn Yoshi twirls forwards, causing a multi-hit effect on anyone in Yarn Yoshi's way.
Also, he can move Up and Down as well as Turn Around, and pressing the Special Button before Yarn Yoshi stops dashing can make you fire a pair of torpedoes, allowing for a projectile.

UP SPECIAL - Umbrella Yoshi!
Attack Type - Physical (Umbrella Popup) / Helpless (Floating)
Yoshi ravels his body in a wacky way to become an Umbrella! In this transformation, Yarn Yoshi gets a boost of height (More than Yoshi's Up Special) and proceeds to float softly towards the ground, similar to Peach's Parasol.
However, Yarn Yoshi can't attack out of this state, so be sure to find a ledge or a safe place to sit while you float down!
Pressing Down in this state makes Yarn Yoshi close his Umbrella for a faster fall speed, but less horizontal movement. Pressing Up makes him pop his Umbrella back up, returning you to the gliding state.

DOWN SPECIAL - Mole Yoshi!
Attack Type - Physical
Yarn Yoshi ravels his body anew and makes himself look just like a Mole! In this form, Yarn Yoshi burrows into the ground, similar to Knuckles. But unlike Knuckles, Yarn Yoshi isn't fully in the ground, he's just below it. Therefore, low-hitting attacks can still hit Yarn Yoshi, but Yarn Yoshi has Super Armor to compensate while in Mole Form.
When Yarn Yoshi pops back out, it can lead to a devastating Kill Move.

- - -

GRAB AND THROWS

GRAB
Grab Type - Tether
Yarn Yoshi extends his tongue and pulls opponents into his mouth!

PUMMEL
Since Yarn Yoshi doesn't really know how to chew, Yarn Yoshi instead messes with his head to squish foes for damage!

FORWARD THROW
Yarn Yoshi spits the opponent out infront of him, causing forward and slightly downward knockback. This is the same as what Yarn Yoshi does when he spits an opponent out forwards in Yoshi's Woolly World.

UP THROW
Yarn Yoshi spits the opponent out upward, causing diagonally upward knockback. This is similar to when Yarn Yoshi spits an eaten enemy upward in Yoshi's Woolly World.

DOWN THROW
Yarn Yoshi spits the opponent onto the ground, ravels his body into his Hammer shape and pounds down on them to bounce them upward!

BACK THROW
Yarn Yoshi turns the foe into a Yarn Egg!...Too bad Yarn is easy to break out of, so they just sorta get hitstunned behind Yarn Yoshi instead. Atleast we got combo ability out of this!

- - -

RENDERS AND ALTERNATE COLORS

Renders:
 
Busts:
 
Mug:
 
Stock Icon:
 
Green - Yarn Yoshi's Original Color - Green Team / P4 Color
Pink - Yoshi's Woolly World File 2 Color / P5 Color
Light Blue - Yoshi's Woolly World File 3 Color - Blue Team / P2 Color
Red - Yoshi's Woolly World Player 2 Color - Red Team / P1 Color
Yellow - Yellow Yoshi - Yellow Team / P3 Color
Orange - Orange Yoshi - P6 Color
White - White Yoshi
Black - Black Yoshi - Black Team

- - -

TAUNT
Yarn Yoshi spins around and flaunts his style! This is indentical to the animation when you switch to another Yarn Yoshi in the Yoshi Hut in Yoshi's Woolly World!

VICTORY ANIMATION
Yarn Yoshi hops in place, tilting left and right, flutters slightly in the air and strikes a pose with his hands on his hips!
This is the same as the animation used when you defeat either Big Montgomery or Knot-Wing the Koopa in Yoshi's Woolly World!

LOSING / NO CONTEST ANIMATION
Yarn Yoshi sits down and claps for the winner, slightly sad.

- - -

RANDOM STAT STUFF?
Smaller & Lighter than Yoshi (He's made of Yarn, what do you expect)
Wool-based Movepool based almost entirely off Yoshi's Woolly World
Meant for Combos (By this thread's intent)

- - -

Don't yell at me for why the Final Smash is down here, yell at Lego Shaq for telling me it's supposed to go last
FINAL SMASH - Mega Yoshi's Curtain Call!
Attack Type - Transformation / Physical
Yarn Yoshi leaps into a Yoshi Egg made of Yarn, the Yarn Egg ravels up, growing in size, and out pops Mega Yoshi! In this massive form, Mega Yoshi can stomp enemies, swing his tail both on the ground and in mid-air for a powerful hit, or Ground Pound in the air to send any foe on the ground into the air!

- - -

And dere ya have it, dat ends my report from da scene!
Supporters List:
 


Last edited by Slissith on Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:37 am; edited 8 times in total (Reason for editing : Adding more folks to the support list!)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Dustination



  Random
  2739
  Dustination

PostSubject: Re: Yarn Yoshi (Yoshi) Discussion: Wonderful Fighter of Wool! - Best Character Suggestion Thread of 2016   Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:57 pm

Excellent presentation.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://projectcrusade.forumotion.com/
Lego Shaq



  Petey Piranha
  1359

PostSubject: Re: Yarn Yoshi (Yoshi) Discussion: Wonderful Fighter of Wool! - Best Character Suggestion Thread of 2016   Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:58 pm

Bedoop busted his butt making this. This is absolutely high quality as a thread.

But moving on from that, I actually personally helped with this. He really has tried his best and for a first thread this is a masterpiece. But enough compliments.

I love it. I feel Yoshi getting an alt wouldn't do any harm, especially with such a unique moveset like this. I love how you implemented the transformations and such. Though maybe the bubbles should do damage every second bubble?

I feel one of the only problems is the constant use of the tongue in a repetitive way. Mix it up a little. Not sure how but a lot of it is just reeling the enemy in.

But that's alright. It's true to Yoshi, I guess.

But overall this thread's got my support.

The reasoning's a bit flimsy, though. It should include why he deserves to be in and not that he'd be making all the original 12 franchises help have 2nd reps. Not really a good reason. Put what he's done for Nintendo and all.

Still though, support!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
VultureDuck
Level 6 CPU


  Ridley
  850

PostSubject: Re: Yarn Yoshi (Yoshi) Discussion: Wonderful Fighter of Wool! - Best Character Suggestion Thread of 2016   Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:42 am

After what I saw, it would be a crime for me if I didn't support.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DestinyIntwined
Level 6 CPU


  Little Mac
  830
  DestinyIntwined

PostSubject: Re: Yarn Yoshi (Yoshi) Discussion: Wonderful Fighter of Wool! - Best Character Suggestion Thread of 2016   Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:05 am

I don't want to get in trouble, I'll support (I will never go back)

In all seriousness this is an amazingly, great and creative moveset, it deserves to see the light of day
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Braystar
Level 6 CPU


  Mario
  901
  N/A

PostSubject: Re: Yarn Yoshi (Yoshi) Discussion: Wonderful Fighter of Wool! - Best Character Suggestion Thread of 2016   Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:12 pm

Clap Quality thread right here. Support. I also think Yarn Yoshi would be a great character for Smash.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SS_Maeweather
Level 5 CPU


  Knuckles
  304
  ProtoBlur

PostSubject: Re: Yarn Yoshi (Yoshi) Discussion: Wonderful Fighter of Wool! - Best Character Suggestion Thread of 2016   Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:20 pm

He seems really well made and could be a cool yoshi alt.
Support!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bedoop Bro
Level 4 CPU


  Gooey
  123

PostSubject: YOU REALLY LIKE ME ; v;   Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:36 pm

Dustination wrote:
Excellent presentation.
Danke, poyo! I started this around the beginning of January, and I certainly think it was worth the effort!
Drawing the Art, doing the colors, the moveset ideas, it was all real fun to do!
Lego Shaq wrote:
Bedoop busted his butt making this. This is absolutely high quality as a thread.

But moving on from that, I actually personally helped with this. He really has tried his best and for a first thread this is a masterpiece. But enough compliments.

I love it. I feel Yoshi getting an alt wouldn't do any harm, especially with such a unique moveset like this. I love how you implemented the transformations and such. Though maybe the bubbles should do damage every second bubble?

I feel one of the only problems is the constant use of the tongue in a repetitive way. Mix it up a little. Not sure how but a lot of it is just reeling the enemy in.

But that's alright. It's true to Yoshi, I guess.

But overall this thread's got my support.

The reasoning's a bit flimsy, though. It should include why he deserves to be in and not that he'd be making all the original 12 franchises help have 2nd reps. Not really a good reason. Put what he's done for Nintendo and all.

Still though, support!
This, I can confirm! When I had the general gist of it down, I contacted Lego Shaq because I have no idea how to use words properly and he seemed to have great threads, so I'm glad he could help me out!
The reason I've implimented the Tongue into a lot of moves is because (Similar to Mega Man in Smash 4) I wanted Yarn Yoshi to feel the part of his game with lots of Tongue attacks, the different angles of Yarn Balls, the transformations and whatnot.
Plus alot of the attacks came up with the idea of Yarn Yoshi being a combo-oriented fighter (This idea was before Doc was shown, but not put into action until later), so that's why a lot of his moves in my idea pops foes into the air, reels them towards Yarn Yoshi or causes hitstun. A simple character, but can become quite technical if you want to get deep into his game. Just like Woolly World, where it's a nice, casual game at the start, but aiming for 100% can lead you to more complex/challenging stages!
VultureDuck wrote:
After what I saw, it would be a crime for me if I didn't support.
DestinyIntwined wrote:
I don't want to get in trouble, I'll support (I will never go back)

In all seriousness this is an amazingly, great and creative moveset, it deserves to see the light of day
Braystar wrote:
Clap Quality thread right here. Support. I also think Yarn Yoshi would be a great character for Smash.
SS_Maeweather wrote:
He seems really well made and could be a cool yoshi alt.
Support!
Danke, my friends! I'll add y'all to the Supporters List A.S.A.P! DHD Laugh
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Forest Bug Productions
Level 3 CPU


  Krystal
  52

PostSubject: Re: Yarn Yoshi (Yoshi) Discussion: Wonderful Fighter of Wool! - Best Character Suggestion Thread of 2016   Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:45 pm

Before: Another version of Yoshi… AND ISN'T A DIFFERENT CHARACTER? I have my doubts
After: Welp, this thread was terrific. No questions asked. Support.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Roy
Level 7 CPU


  Mega Man
  1169
  RoyMaster4

PostSubject: Re: Yarn Yoshi (Yoshi) Discussion: Wonderful Fighter of Wool! - Best Character Suggestion Thread of 2016   Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:12 pm

The presentation is really well done and differentiates himself from Yoshi. Though... it lacks one of Yoshi's signature moves, the egg throw. The egg lay is there as a back throw, but still...


Regardless, I would support except for one thing:

Why should we even have this character? An alternate doesn't mean that he doesn't take up the same amount of development time as any other character - he still needs all the spritework, all of the coding, all of the balancing that any other character gets. It's not like one additional space on the character select screen is a huge deal. Is it really worth putting all of this effort on what is essentially another Yoshi (one that only represents a single game, at that)?

I just feel like that effort could be better put towards a unique character aesthetically - Smash Bros is about bringing together characters from a wide variety of different franchises. So even if you say he's an 'alt', he would be taking resources away from someone else who would be more deserving. It's hard to support that. The only argument I can see is that this would be representing the 'yarn' series (which has 2 games), but I don't think that's enough. At least other potential 'alts' add more to a wider game representation (Big Boss, X, Ganon, etc).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bedoop Bro
Level 4 CPU


  Gooey
  123

PostSubject: Re: Yarn Yoshi (Yoshi) Discussion: Wonderful Fighter of Wool! - Best Character Suggestion Thread of 2016   Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:21 pm

Forest Bug Productions wrote:
Before: Another version of Yoshi… AND ISN'T A DIFFERENT CHARACTER? I have my doubts
After: Welp, this thread was terrific. No questions asked. Support.
Alrighty, I'll add you to the support list! Thanks for the support, poyo!
Roy wrote:
The presentation is really well done and differentiates himself from Yoshi. Though... it lacks one of Yoshi's signature moves, the egg throw. The egg lay is there as a back throw, but still...


Regardless, I would support except for one thing:

Why should we even have this character? An alternate doesn't mean that he doesn't take up the same amount of development time as any other character - he still needs all the spritework, all of the coding, all of the balancing that any other character gets. It's not like one additional space on the character select screen is a huge deal. Is it really worth putting all of this effort on what is essentially another Yoshi (one that only represents a single game, at that)?

I just feel like that effort could be better put towards a unique character aesthetically - Smash Bros is about bringing together characters from a wide variety of different franchises. So even if you say he's an 'alt', he would be taking resources away from someone else who would be more deserving. It's hard to support that. The only argument I can see is that this would be representing the 'yarn' series (which has 2 games), but I don't think that's enough. At least other potential 'alts' add more to a wider game representation (Big Boss, X, Ganon, etc).
First off; I have included the Egg Throw as his Up and Down Smashes. But Yarn Yoshi never really uses Eggs--he uses Yarn Balls big and small instead--so those are what he uses in the moves! Don't worry, I would never forget what makes Yoshi's species what it is, yarn or no! ;D

Secondly, about the whole Alt. situation, I understand completely. It's okie dokie if you don't support Yarn Yoshi for those reasons, poyo! Maybe there are tons more people more deserving than Yarn Yoshi to be an alternate, but I decided to put this much effort in a character I love and would like to see in Crusade just for a small chance of hope! We all have our own opinions after all, and I respect yours even if it ain't the same! Turnip
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Roy
Level 7 CPU


  Mega Man
  1169
  RoyMaster4

PostSubject: Re: Yarn Yoshi (Yoshi) Discussion: Wonderful Fighter of Wool! - Best Character Suggestion Thread of 2016   Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:38 pm

Bedoop Bro wrote:
First off; I have included the Egg Throw as his Up and Down Smashes. But Yarn Yoshi never really uses Eggs--he uses Yarn Balls big and small instead--so those are what he uses in the moves! Don't worry, I would never forget what makes Yoshi's species what it is, yarn or no! ;D

Secondly, about the whole Alt. situation, I understand completely. It's okie dokie if you don't support Yarn Yoshi for those reasons, poyo! Maybe there are tons more people more deserving than Yarn Yoshi to be an alternate, but I decided to put this much effort in a character I love and would like to see in Crusade just for a small chance of hope! We all have our own opinions after all, and I respect yours even if it ain't the same! Turnip
My bad, I did a ctrl+f search for egg, didn't even think you would put it as yarn instead. Whoops!

Ok, good of you to understand. I'll consider it, but... yeah.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Athorment
Level 4 CPU


  161
  Athorment

PostSubject: Re: Yarn Yoshi (Yoshi) Discussion: Wonderful Fighter of Wool! - Best Character Suggestion Thread of 2016   Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:40 pm

SUPPORT!
I think it would be interesting if there was some sort of "Yarn ball/Egg" dependant move where he needs to first "Eat" (Unravel?) something like an Enemy projectile and thus "Earn" an yarn ball in the same way Olimar gets his pikmin first. Getting a yarn ball would in turn give Yarn Yoshi a relatively fast projectile that wraps opponents to immobilize them in place (Even in the Air) to have more set ups.


Last edited by Athorment on Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://athorment.deviantart.com/
Lego Shaq



  Petey Piranha
  1359

PostSubject: Re: Yarn Yoshi (Yoshi) Discussion: Wonderful Fighter of Wool! - Best Character Suggestion Thread of 2016   Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:41 pm

Roy wrote:
The presentation is really well done and differentiates himself from Yoshi. Though... it lacks one of Yoshi's signature moves, the egg throw. The egg lay is there as a back throw, but still...


Regardless, I would support except for one thing:

Why should we even have this character? An alternate doesn't mean that he doesn't take up the same amount of development time as any other character - he still needs all the spritework, all of the coding, all of the balancing that any other character gets. It's not like one additional space on the character select screen is a huge deal. Is it really worth putting all of this effort on what is essentially another Yoshi (one that only represents a single game, at that)?

I just feel like that effort could be better put towards a unique character aesthetically - Smash Bros is about bringing together characters from a wide variety of different franchises. So even if you say he's an 'alt', he would be taking resources away from someone else who would be more deserving. It's hard to support that. The only argument I can see is that this would be representing the 'yarn' series (which has 2 games), but I don't think that's enough. At least other potential 'alts' add more to a wider game representation (Big Boss, X, Ganon, etc).
Hope Bedoop doesn't mind if I refute this.
Is it really worth all of this effort on what is essentially another Mario? With the recent addition of Dr. Mario, the devs have shown they don't mind using some resource time on characters that are "clones" of another character.

And this is an aesthetically unique character. He's made out of yarn, and he can shapeshift; these 2 things already differentiate him from the majority of all characters on the roster. Using the "but he'd take resources from some other dude" argument isn't really valid here; he would be his own unique character, so the resources put into Yarn Yoshi would be worth it.

And Woolly World revived the Yoshi series after 8 year of inactivity that was only interrupted by the negatively received Yoshi's New Island. It featured new, innovative gimmicks, and was released to positive reception. Also, 4 amiibo were released of Yarn Yoshi, which is small, but a pretty big feat.

Yarn Yoshi would be a great 2nd rep for the Yoshi series, which has existed for over 15 years, with numerous games released to positive reception, but stands at 1 rep.

Yarn Yoshi would bring a unique moveset as well as a 2nd Yoshi rep. I don't see what the problem is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OmegaSteve777
Level 7 CPU


  Gooey
  1318

PostSubject: Re: Yarn Yoshi (Yoshi) Discussion: Wonderful Fighter of Wool! - Best Character Suggestion Thread of 2016   Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:45 pm

Support

but getting yarn to look good on a sprite would be a pain...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Roy
Level 7 CPU


  Mega Man
  1169
  RoyMaster4

PostSubject: Re: Yarn Yoshi (Yoshi) Discussion: Wonderful Fighter of Wool! - Best Character Suggestion Thread of 2016   Mon Feb 08, 2016 2:58 pm

Lego Shaq wrote:
Hope Bedoop doesn't mind if I refute this.
Is it really worth all of this effort on what is essentially another Mario? With the recent addition of Dr. Mario, the devs have shown they don't mind using some resource time on characters that are "clones" of another character.

And this is an aesthetically unique character. He's made out of yarn, and he can shapeshift; these 2 things already differentiate him from the majority of all characters on the roster. Using the "but he'd take resources from some other dude" argument isn't really valid here; he would be his own unique character, so the resources put into Yarn Yoshi would be worth it.

And Woolly World revived the Yoshi series after 8 year of inactivity that was only interrupted by the negatively received Yoshi's New Island. It featured new, innovative gimmicks, and was released to positive reception. Also, 4 amiibo were released of Yarn Yoshi, which is small, but a pretty big feat.

Yarn Yoshi would be a great 2nd rep for the Yoshi series, which has existed for over 15 years, with numerous games released to positive reception, but stands at 1 rep.

Yarn Yoshi would bring a unique moveset as well as a 2nd Yoshi rep. I don't see what the problem is.
Dr. Mario has a large majority of the same moveset. I don't know how it was done, but I can only assume they figured out a relatively simple way of making clones, both spriting and coding-wise by using Mario as a base. You really can't compare him to Yarn Yoshi. This is more comparable to Paper Mario, I'd say.

The issue I have isn't that he's not unique as far as yarn implementation goes - it's the simple fact that he's still Yoshi. He's the exact same character, just... made of yarn. At least Paper Mario has a multi-game series since the year 2000, even crossing over into another spin-off. Yoshi's Woolly World is a (very) recent game with nothing really going for it besides the fact that it's a good game. (Admittedly, I haven't actually played it and I was under the impression until just now that New Island had gotten better reviews than Woolly World. I guess that's what I get for paying more attention to the IGN review than any others)

As a '2nd rep for the Yoshi series', I'd rather have Kamek or Poochy. The time and effort that goes into Yarn Yoshi could instead be put into one of those characters.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lego Shaq



  Petey Piranha
  1359

PostSubject: Re: Yarn Yoshi (Yoshi) Discussion: Wonderful Fighter of Wool! - Best Character Suggestion Thread of 2016   Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:11 pm

Roy wrote:
Lego Shaq wrote:
Hope Bedoop doesn't mind if I refute this.
Is it really worth all of this effort on what is essentially another Mario? With the recent addition of Dr. Mario, the devs have shown they don't mind using some resource time on characters that are "clones" of another character.

And this is an aesthetically unique character. He's made out of yarn, and he can shapeshift; these 2 things already differentiate him from the majority of all characters on the roster. Using the "but he'd take resources from some other dude" argument isn't really valid here; he would be his own unique character, so the resources put into Yarn Yoshi would be worth it.

And Woolly World revived the Yoshi series after 8 year of inactivity that was only interrupted by the negatively received Yoshi's New Island. It featured new, innovative gimmicks, and was released to positive reception. Also, 4 amiibo were released of Yarn Yoshi, which is small, but a pretty big feat.

Yarn Yoshi would be a great 2nd rep for the Yoshi series, which has existed for over 15 years, with numerous games released to positive reception, but stands at 1 rep.

Yarn Yoshi would bring a unique moveset as well as a 2nd Yoshi rep. I don't see what the problem is.
Dr. Mario has a large majority of the same moveset. I don't know how it was done, but I can only assume they figured out a relatively simple way of making clones, both spriting and coding-wise by using Mario as a base. You really can't compare him to Yarn Yoshi. This is more comparable to Paper Mario, I'd say.

The issue I have isn't that he's not unique as far as yarn implementation goes - it's the simple fact that he's still Yoshi. He's the exact same character, just... made of yarn. At least Paper Mario has a multi-game series since the year 2000, even crossing over into another spin-off. Yoshi's Woolly World is a (very) recent game with nothing really going for it besides the fact that it's a good game. (Admittedly, I haven't actually played it and I was under the impression until just now that New Island had gotten better reviews than Woolly World. I guess that's what I get for paying more attention to the IGN review than any others)

As a '2nd rep for the Yoshi series', I'd rather have Kamek or Poochy. The time and effort that goes into Yarn Yoshi could instead be put into one of those characters.

No, I can compare them. You have no reason to assume they suddenly changed on the fact clones would be hard to make. Unless we get some dev insight we don't know for sure.

Come on, man, I'm the biggest Paper Mario supporter here and even I know that logic's wrong. Paper Mario is Mario made of paper, and Yarn Yoshi is Yoshi made of yarn. That's the most shallow way to look at it ever.

They're each their own unique character, even if they are "[x] made of [y]".

You're looking at it only thinking "time could be spent on this other rep". Why not look at it with "would this be a good character, resources notwithstanding"?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bedoop Bro
Level 4 CPU


  Gooey
  123

PostSubject: Re: Yarn Yoshi (Yoshi) Discussion: Wonderful Fighter of Wool! - Best Character Suggestion Thread of 2016   Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:11 pm

Roy wrote:
My bad, I did a ctrl+f search for egg, didn't even think you would put it as yarn instead. Whoops!

Ok, good of you to understand. I'll consider it, but... yeah.
No worries, Roy! :4pacma-waitthisisn'tSmashboards
UH
Kill Me
Athorment wrote:
SUPPORT!
Danke for the support, Poyo! I'll add yer name into the List!
Lego Shaq wrote:
Hope Bedoop doesn't mind if I refute this.
Go ahead, lad. But don't start a fire!  ;D
OmegaSteve777 wrote:
Support

but getting yarn to look good on a sprite would be a pain...
I know, right?
Yarn Yoshi is surprisingly detailed despite his miniscule size, so spritework might be hard.
Luckily I slapped that in the OP beforehand~
Thanks for the support, by the way! I'll add yer name to the list!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
eris27100
Level 3 CPU


  Knuckles
  64
  N/A

PostSubject: Re: Yarn Yoshi (Yoshi) Discussion: Wonderful Fighter of Wool! - Best Character Suggestion Thread of 2016   Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:21 pm

Damn ya beat to it but this one is ten times better than anything I could ever make! Support
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Roy
Level 7 CPU


  Mega Man
  1169
  RoyMaster4

PostSubject: Re: Yarn Yoshi (Yoshi) Discussion: Wonderful Fighter of Wool! - Best Character Suggestion Thread of 2016   Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:31 pm

Lego Shaq wrote:
No, I can compare them. You have no reason to assume they suddenly changed on the fact clones would be hard to make. Unless we get some dev insight we don't know for sure.

Come on, man, I'm the biggest Paper Mario supporter here and even I know that logic's wrong. Paper Mario is Mario made of paper, and Yarn Yoshi is Yoshi made of yarn. That's the most shallow way to look at it ever.

They're each their own unique character, even if they are "[x] made of [y]".

You're looking at it only thinking "time could be spent on this other rep". Why not look at it with "would this be a good character, resources notwithstanding"?
No, you can't. The hitboxes are identical between Dr. Mario and Mario, so some shortcuts could have been taken. Even if you COULD compare them, Dr. Mario has official Smash game standings and is a long-time spin-off series ranging from the NES to the Wii U/3DS. Yarn Yoshi has... 1 game and a stage in Smash.

I was looking at Paper Mario as far as moveset and effort while still being an 'alt'. Both Paper Mario and Yarn Yoshi have a unique aesthetic and moveset, so about the same amount of development time would go into either of them.

'Resources notwithstanding', we might as well put in every character ever. But I cannot look at this character that way. 'Would this be a good character?' - No. Because it's Yoshi. Simple. There are hundreds of better choices. If Yarn Yoshi took his own spot on the select screen instead of being an 'alt', would you still support him?


Funnily enough, I was considering supporting just based on the OP, but after this, I'm most definitely not supporting. I should be supporting the character, not the moveset.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Braystar
Level 6 CPU


  Mario
  901
  N/A

PostSubject: Re: Yarn Yoshi (Yoshi) Discussion: Wonderful Fighter of Wool! - Best Character Suggestion Thread of 2016   Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:38 pm

Roy, if we only thought of the character we could have so many similar characters. There is nothing wrong with Yarn Yoshi, even if we just support the moveset. And if the character choice is affected by how long the game is out, that's dumb, expecially when actual Smash don't give a f*ck
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lego Shaq



  Petey Piranha
  1359

PostSubject: Re: Yarn Yoshi (Yoshi) Discussion: Wonderful Fighter of Wool! - Best Character Suggestion Thread of 2016   Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:50 pm

Roy wrote:
Lego Shaq wrote:
No, I can compare them. You have no reason to assume they suddenly changed on the fact clones would be hard to make. Unless we get some dev insight we don't know for sure.

Come on, man, I'm the biggest Paper Mario supporter here and even I know that logic's wrong. Paper Mario is Mario made of paper, and Yarn Yoshi is Yoshi made of yarn. That's the most shallow way to look at it ever.

They're each their own unique character, even if they are "[x] made of [y]".

You're looking at it only thinking "time could be spent on this other rep". Why not look at it with "would this be a good character, resources notwithstanding"?
No, you can't. The hitboxes are identical between Dr. Mario and Mario, so some shortcuts could have been taken. Even if you COULD compare them, Dr. Mario has official Smash game standings and is a long-time spin-off series ranging from the NES to the Wii U/3DS. Yarn Yoshi has... 1 game and a stage in Smash.

I was looking at Paper Mario as far as moveset and effort while still being an 'alt'. Both Paper Mario and Yarn Yoshi have a unique aesthetic and moveset, so about the same amount of development time would go into either of them.

'Resources notwithstanding', we might as well put in every character ever. But I cannot look at this character that way. 'Would this be a good character?' - No. Because it's Yoshi. Simple. There are hundreds of better choices. If Yarn Yoshi took his own spot on the select screen instead of being an 'alt', would you still support him?


Funnily enough, I was considering supporting just based on the OP, but after this, I'm most definitely not supporting. I should be supporting the character, not the moveset.
Well Roy, I think that's pretty idiotic but you do you. Still love u tho

Yep, I would still support him. Don't get why him having a slot makes anything different.

Braystar wrote:
Roy, if we only thought of the character we could have so many similar characters. There is nothing wrong with Yarn Yoshi, even if we just support the moveset. And if the character choice is affected by how long the game is out, that's dumb, expecially when actual Smash don't give a f*ck
Actual Smash, though, has a lot more resources and different decisions to make. In this specific scenario I don't think actual Smash matters
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Nohrian Sadist



  Random
  550
  cheezetime

PostSubject: Re: Yarn Yoshi (Yoshi) Discussion: Wonderful Fighter of Wool! - Best Character Suggestion Thread of 2016   Mon Feb 08, 2016 3:54 pm

The OP is so pretty.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
TheRedBeast
Level 3 CPU


  Mr. Game and Watch
  91

PostSubject: Re: Yarn Yoshi (Yoshi) Discussion: Wonderful Fighter of Wool! - Best Character Suggestion Thread of 2016   Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:09 pm

wow i support too is...amaizing!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bedoop Bro
Level 4 CPU


  Gooey
  123

PostSubject: Re: Yarn Yoshi (Yoshi) Discussion: Wonderful Fighter of Wool! - Best Character Suggestion Thread of 2016   Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:29 pm

eris27100 wrote:
Damn ya beat to it but this one is ten times better than anything I could ever make! Support
Well now I'm definitely glad I finished up the 1-month project I've been working on! Glad you like it, and I'll add ya to the Supporter List!
Souji Seta wrote:
The OP is so pretty.
Awww, thank you, poyo! Clap
KuramaExelsior wrote:
wow i support too is...amaizing!!!!
Danke, poyo! I'll add you into the list of supporters! Surprised
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wheeled_tank
Level 6 CPU


  Klonoa
  572
  wheeled_tank

PostSubject: Re: Yarn Yoshi (Yoshi) Discussion: Wonderful Fighter of Wool! - Best Character Suggestion Thread of 2016   Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:32 am

I recently got Wooly World, and am enjoying it. I will support, partly because you are putting it in as an Alt, so we still have room for someone like Poochy
Back to top Go down
View user profile Online
desu
Level 6 CPU


  Yoshi
  631
  fanyoshixD

PostSubject: Re: Yarn Yoshi (Yoshi) Discussion: Wonderful Fighter of Wool! - Best Character Suggestion Thread of 2016   Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:57 pm

I probably can't support this because I feel it is still too similar to Yoshi or it doesn't have unique things, I get it is an alt, but there could be more to go... Like for example, since Woolly Yoshi is a more recent Yoshi, he could use Smash 4's Up Smash or Smash 64's back air or simply make it a 2 tail swing, 1 upwards and 1 downwards that does a meteor smash similar to Pikachu's Up air. I feel like he could use his tongue as a combo tool, similar to Piccolo's stretchy arms in Budokai games, if he hits with the tip of it, he'll drag the opponents to him, and the rest of the tongue is used to hit. And his grab could have an unique touch with him being able to choose the direction of where to grab (front, up, behind him, diagonals?). So for example, you use forward tilt to make an opponent get closer, then follow with down tilt, which sends upwards, then use his nair and end it with fair.
If these changes apply to him, I feel he could be a better fighter, despite being weaker.

-Another small thing: he could use the different amiibo color changes as alts, for example, Mario amiibo color, pikachu amiibo color, etc.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Bedoop Bro
Level 4 CPU


  Gooey
  123

PostSubject: Re: Yarn Yoshi (Yoshi) Discussion: Wonderful Fighter of Wool! - Best Character Suggestion Thread of 2016   Wed Aug 17, 2016 6:10 pm

desu wrote:
I probably can't support this because I feel it is still too similar to Yoshi or it doesn't have unique things, I get it is an alt, but there could be more to go...
Dr. Mario, Pichu and Evil Ryu say otherwise...
Also from what I'm reading, Yarn Yoshi is pretty dang different.
Like, a very good majority of his moves have completely different animations/purposes.
I even changed the way he jumps to differentiate the guy.
It's odd how you don't find it unique enough. O_o
Quote :
Like for example, since Woolly Yoshi is a more recent Yoshi, he could use Smash 4's Up Smash or Smash 64's back air or simply make it a 2 tail swing, 1 upwards and 1 downwards that does a meteor smash similar to Pikachu's Up air.
Noted. Might make adjustments to the moveset accordingly. Albeit Yarn Yoshi's a lot more short and stout than normal Yoshi, so doing stuff like that would be much harder for his frame. Plus changing Up Smash would get rid of one of the Yarn Toss moves, and those are kinda the main factor of Yoshi's (Yarn or otherwise) character, so...
Quote :
I feel like he could use his tongue as a combo tool, similar to Piccolo's stretchy arms in Budokai games, if he hits with the tip of it, he'll drag the opponents to him, and the rest of the tongue is used to hit.
It literally does that.
All of his tilts do that.
C'mon man. tongue
Quote :
And his grab could have an unique touch with him being able to choose the direction of where to grab (front, up, behind him, diagonals?).
I wouldn't hold your breath on that considering nobody else has that luxury (Plus it'd make Yarn Yoshi almost broken if using a Controller)
Quote :
So for example, you use forward tilt to make an opponent get closer, then follow with down tilt, which sends upwards, then use his nair and end it with fair.
If these changes apply to him, I feel he could be a better fighter, despite being weaker.
Why are you trying to balance something that doesn't even exist
It's odd to me Brow raise
Quote :
-Another small thing: he could use the different amiibo color changes as alts, for example, Mario amiibo color, pikachu amiibo color, etc.
Sprite Limitations hype Crying or Very sad
wheeled_tank wrote:
I recently got Wooly World, and am enjoying it. I will support, partly because you are putting it in as an Alt, so we still have room for someone like Poochy
Added to the support list! ;D
Back to top Go down
View user profile
desu
Level 6 CPU


  Yoshi
  631
  fanyoshixD

PostSubject: Re: Yarn Yoshi (Yoshi) Discussion: Wonderful Fighter of Wool! - Best Character Suggestion Thread of 2016   Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:32 pm

-Well, there's not too much to go with Dr. Mario or Pichu... I don't know about Evil Ryu because I barely played SF. But with Yarn Yoshi he could do other things normal yoshi can do but aren't in smash.
-I'm sorry if I was rude, but I didn't think the tilts worked like that. I was trying to give an example of how they could work.
-For the grab, that's why I cited diagonals with a question mark, but I think at least being able to change the direction upwards would be nice.
-For the amiibo colors, they don't need to look 100% the same, but they could reference some colors, I say this because since you can take more freedom with Yarn Yoshi's moveset, why not why the alts too?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Slissith



  Bowser
  2211
  ( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°)

PostSubject: Re: Yarn Yoshi (Yoshi) Discussion: Wonderful Fighter of Wool! - Best Character Suggestion Thread of 2016   Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:46 pm

Congratulations!

_________________
Cobra Bubbles wrote:
Your expectations were too simple and downright stupid.
I mean really? "No character will have their testicles hang out"?
Thanks to you, I had to add two new rules.

VultureDuck wrote:
Crusade is a man's game

Jaklub wrote:
Post count ain't gonna raise itself.

Jaklub wrote:
this count down won't be uploaded to youtube, better enjoy it now.

Lego_Shaq wrote:
please dont think im actually racist

SmashBros._L0ver wrote:
fuck you slissith go to hell Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Yarn Yoshi (Yoshi) Discussion: Wonderful Fighter of Wool! - Best Character Suggestion Thread of 2016   Today at 6:55 pm

Back to top Go down
 
Yarn Yoshi (Yoshi) Discussion: Wonderful Fighter of Wool! - Best Character Suggestion Thread of 2016
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Yoshi's Island [NES] Stage Idea
» PAS VS SSB Fight 13: Kratos Vs Yoshi
» Yoshi's Woolly World
» Apocalypse Discussion
» UFC 2010 - Fighter Stats Update

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 ::  :: Character Discussion :: Unofficial Characters-
Jump to:  
Private forum on Forumotion | © phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Free forum