Miles Edgeworth (Ace Attorney) Discussion

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Roy
Level 7 CPU
Roy

RoyMaster4

Miles Edgeworth (Ace Attorney) Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Miles Edgeworth (Ace Attorney) Discussion   Miles Edgeworth (Ace Attorney) Discussion EmptyFri Jan 22, 2016 11:19 pm

Only one Ace Attorney character?

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Miles Edgeworth (Ace Attorney) Discussion Edgeworth-confident(a)

Miles Edgeworth is a prosecutor and the primary rival to Phoenix Wright, appearing in all of the Ace Attorney games as well as having a spin-off series of his own.

2 Ace Attorney characters?
Phoenix himself is already a playable character. This franchise started on the GBA and has had 6 main series games (the 6th is coming out this year) and 4 side games (2 featuring Edgeworth). With a total of 10 games almost exclusively on Nintendo consoles (the original trilogy got ported to ios), I feel that the series could have more representation. With that said, there is no better choice than Edgeworth as a second representative.

What could Edgeworth do that Phoenix can't?
Refer to my Phoenix Wright moveset in this topic: https://projectcrusade.forumotion.com/t3434-phoenix-wright-discussion
Phoenix is more of a hit-and-run type of character. All of his attacks have a decent amount of knockback (referencing the fact that Phoenix tends to make a big deal out of a small hole in a testimony, cracking a case wide open), so all he needs to do is grab some evidence and time his attacks right. His only complication is managing his evidence.
In playstyle, Edgeworth is the complete opposite. He doesn't have a clear 'kill' move and instead relies on chaining attacks together (referencing his unique 'logic' from the spin-off series), and even has to go off stage to gimp at higher %s due to the lack of a clear kill move. He can rack up that damage really fast in the hands of a skilled player, of course.

Would he be a semi-clone?
Unfortunately, yes. Phoenix and Edgeworth are both lawyers, just on opposite sides of the law. So clearly, they will have moveset similarities.

What about the stage cameos?
Simple. Have it be Apollo vs Klavier, with Ema Skye as the witness. There's other options, too, if that's not ideal.

With that out of the way, let's get on to the moveset! He brought a few prosecutor toys with him to aid him, as well. (Very much WIP, I know I'm missing a lot of attacks, I just wanted to get this topic started)

Combo: Logic Chess
Edgeworth puts his finger to his head, and a white pawn appears in front of him. Pressing the A button again will move the pawn forward, dealing a second hit before Edgeworth returns back to his normal state. This is usually best used as a combo finisher, or a simple get-off-me move.

Forward Tilt: Karma Whip
Edgeworth takes out Franziska's whip and whips it hard in front of him. It inflicts a large amount of damage and has a decent amount of base knockback, though minimal scaling. It's also extremely fast, so he can whip it out any time to give himself some space.

Up Tilt: Whip Stretch
Edgeworth takes out Franziska's whip above his head, and stretches it outward. It does a decent amount of damage and comes out quick, but has minimal knockback. He can follow up from it afterward.

Down Tilt: Deduce
Edgeworth takes out a piece of evidence and holds it in front of him as he crouches. Depending on the evidence used, this could be a combo starter or finisher, but never a kill move.

Dash Attack: Ransom Dash
Edgeworth takes out a pink and yellow suitcase and pushes it forward, dragging any unlucky opponents caught with him before ejecting them when he stops. He can use this to catch up to an opponent who got knocked away pretty far to finish off a combo.

Forward Smash: Present
Edgeworth thrusts a piece of evidence forward. If he has no evidence, he instead presents his prosecutor badge, however it doesn't do much. He can usually use this to initiate a combo.

Up Smash: Blackquil Iaido
Edgeworth crouches, charging before unleashing an incredibly quick sword slash above his head, returning the sword to its sheath right after. This will actually kill at high %'s, but it doesn't have much range and takes time to come out.

Down Smash: Klavier Blast
Edgeworth takes out a guitar and strums it, causing a sonic shockwave to emit, hitting both sides of him for a good amount of damage. The guitar bursts into flames after, forcing Edgeworth to put it away.

Neutral Aerial: Logic Burst
2 glowing white orbs rotate around him quickly, before converging together at his center. Right after, the now single orb expands outward in a decently powerful burst. The full attack has 2 hits, with the second hit having a good amount of knockback with minimal scaling.

Forward Aerial: Sushi Chop
Edgeworth takes out a Steel Samurai sword and swings it in front of him. It's a fake sword though, so it doesn't have much impact - perfect for a mid-combo attack!

Up Aerial: Evidence Overhead
Edgeworth takes out a piece of evidence and swings it above his head. If he has no evidence, he again kind of slaps the air above him. This move is almost always useful mid-combo.

Back Aerial: Contradiction
Edgeworth takes out a piece of evidence and shoves it behind him. If he has no evidence, he'll swing his hand behind him, having a minimal impact. Like his forward and up aerial, this move is a good mid-combo attack.

Down Aerial: Steel Spear
Edgeworth takes out a Steel Samurai spear and stabs it downward at an angle in front of him. It doesn't have much of an impact being a stage prop (it will bend if it connects), but it does have a slight downward knockback, making it useful for preventing an off stage opponent from recovering or for continuing a combo.

Grab: Shackles
Edgeworth takes out some shackles and thrusts them forward, attempting to capture an opponent in them.

Pummel: Electric Shock
It turns out, those shackles are electrically charged. Edgeworth presses a button on a device in his hand, and the opponent is electrocuted.

Forward Throw: Shove
Edgeworth shoves the opponent forward. It takes the opponent a while to act out of it, which makes it very useful for initiating a combo or shoving someone off stage.

Up Throw: Punt
Edgeworth initiates a kick, sending the opponent skyward. It's not very strong, but at least it's good for getting an opponent above him, where he can potentially initiate a combo if he reads his opponent correctly.

Back Throw: Pull
Edgeworth grabs the opponent and pulls them, throwing them behind Edgeworth. It's not very strong, but like his forward throw, it takes time for the opponent to act out of it, though the base knockback isn't as high, making it more useful for combos rather than getting an opponent off stage.

Down Throw: Electric Overload
Edgeworth continues pressing the button, causing a large amount of damage before the shackles break, with the opponent collapsing prone on the floor.

Standard Special: Press
This is functionally identical to Phoenix's. Edgeworth points his finger and yells 'HOLD IT!'. If an opponent is within range of the attack, they are pushed back a good distance. The lag of the animation has super armor - the push doubles if Edgeworth is attacked during the startup. This is used to give Edgeworth some space (and some more information).
If Edgeworth has 5 or more pieces of evidence, he will instead shout OBJECTION! Instead of getting pushed back, they get stunned! Edgeworth can now start his logic chain.

Side Special: Gumshoe Charge
Edgeworth takes a step to the side, and a clumsy Gumshoe appears, charging forward before tripping and collapsing to the floor. This is probably Edgeworth's strongest move as far as knockback is concerned as well as having shield breaker properties, but it has a huge startup and endlag, making it extremely risky to use.

Up Special: Ladder
Edgeworth takes out a step ladder and climbs it relatively quickly before putting it away. Don't question the physics behind it. It doesn't really get him very high, though... at least it's fast so he can potentially use it for a third jump during combos.

Down Special: Evidence
This is functionally identical to Phoenix's. If the button is held down, Edgeworth leans down, and searches for some evidence of the opponent being involved in the case. If an item is nearby, he will take it and it is added to his 'evidence', which he can take out later. If there is no item nearby, after a second, he will find something random (from one of his cases) and add it to his bag. He can hold up to 10 of these, and it is noted by his damage meter.
If the button is tapped, Edgeworth takes out the first evidence on his list and holds it. If it is an item, it acts like a normal item. If it is a random piece of evidence, he can throw it like a generic projectile. Using this again will switch which evidence he currently has out.
Evidence is used in some of his attacks, and the properties of those attacks change with what evidence is being currently used. He rotates though it, so it is a good idea to pay attention which piece is next in line to use. Some evidence is rather useless for attacking, so they are good for taking out as a projectile.

Final Smash: Rebuttal

I believe the correct term here is "You fail!"
After connecting with his finger pointing outward, a cutscene plays with Edgeworth showing his evidence, connecting them together with logic, the opponent gasping, and ending with the opponent sent flying.
(Functionally identical to Phoenix's)

Taunt 1: Edgeworth shakes his head, smiles and shrugs. He's so confident!

Taunt 2: Edgeworth's phone goes off, playing an 8-bit Steel Samurai theme. He quickly takes it out and hangs up.

Taunt 3: Edgeworth takes out the Little Thief, presses a few buttons, and holds it above his head, before realizing it's not working and puts it away.

Supporters: 4
RoyMaster4
Sean_McMuffin
Braystar
Chaotic Chao

Last edited by Roy on Thu Jan 28, 2016 1:44 pm; edited 8 times in total
Back to top Go down
TrinitroMan
Level 7 CPU
TrinitroMan

PostSubject: Re: Miles Edgeworth (Ace Attorney) Discussion   Miles Edgeworth (Ace Attorney) Discussion EmptySat Jan 23, 2016 12:19 am

I'm sorry, but Gumshoe is already a stage cameo, so you probably wont be able to use him as Edgeworth's Side Special.
And why would he have Karma's whip? That doesn't make sense either.
Don't get me wrong. I do support Miles Edgeworth, but I do not support this moveset just yet. It still needs more tweaks.
Back to top Go down
deepstate
Level 3 CPU
deepstate

PostSubject: Re: Miles Edgeworth (Ace Attorney) Discussion   Miles Edgeworth (Ace Attorney) Discussion EmptySat Jan 23, 2016 7:18 am

shouts out to This Forum for proposing a character's childhood trauma arc as a party fighting game mechanic

completely redundant character and inappropriate moveset - you really couldn't think of a better final smash than that? especially when the rest of his attacks are patently goofy?

TrinitroMan wrote:
I'm sorry, but Gumshoe is already a stage cameo, so you probably wont be able to use him as Edgeworth's Side Special.
Don't get me wrong. I do support Miles Edgeworth, but I do not support this moveset just yet. It still needs more tweaks.
he held onto the whip temporarily at the end of JFA
Back to top Go down
SP

cellularSP

PostSubject: Re: Miles Edgeworth (Ace Attorney) Discussion   Miles Edgeworth (Ace Attorney) Discussion EmptySat Jan 23, 2016 7:50 am

summoning a character in the moveset means I will never support this
Back to top Go down
Lego Shaq

Lego Shaq

Geno

PostSubject: Re: Miles Edgeworth (Ace Attorney) Discussion   Miles Edgeworth (Ace Attorney) Discussion EmptySat Jan 23, 2016 8:51 am

Your reasoning sucks, Roy. It's literally "why not". Sorry to be harsh but you know it's true.

The moveset...you incorporated some good things, like his Chess. But I feel if you're gonna use Franziska's whip, make a Franziska thread. The Final Smash is pretty poor, you could do something a lot better I'm sure.

The Side Special is fine to me tbh, I mean Wright has Maya so I don't see an issue.

But no support for now. Finish the moveset and I'll give more feedback.

Back to top Go down
Roy
Level 7 CPU
Roy

RoyMaster4

PostSubject: Re: Miles Edgeworth (Ace Attorney) Discussion   Miles Edgeworth (Ace Attorney) Discussion EmptySat Jan 23, 2016 8:54 am

TrinitroMan wrote:
To be fair, Edgeworth himself is also a cameo on the stage. I don't think that really means anything.
He has Karma's whip during one of the games (I think AA3?), and it's not a bad thing, I guess.

your goth gf wrote:
shouts out to This Forum for proposing a character's childhood trauma arc as a party fighting game mechanic

completely redundant character and inappropriate moveset - you really couldn't think of a better final smash than that? especially when the rest of his attacks are patently goofy?
Ok yeah, I couldn't think of a better final smash without copying Phoenix's. Considering how important that case and trauma is to Edgeworth's character, I thought it might be a good idea... but putting it like that... hm. I'll have to think of something court-related.

EDIT: Made some changes and added some more attacks. I decided to double down on the whip being an issue - add more prosecutor toys! And also some steel samurai stuff, since he's such a huge (closet) fan. Also new (clone-ish) final smash, and better reasoning for his inclusion.
Back to top Go down
TrinitroMan
Level 7 CPU
TrinitroMan

PostSubject: Re: Miles Edgeworth (Ace Attorney) Discussion   Miles Edgeworth (Ace Attorney) Discussion EmptySat Jan 23, 2016 10:11 am

Roy wrote:
TrinitroMan wrote:
To be fair, Edgeworth himself is also a cameo on the stage. I don't think that really means anything.
Oh right, I forgot that Edgeworth is a cameo as well.
If that's the case, then I can only support Edgeworth as a character, if there will be no stage cameo Edgeworth while Edgeworth is fighting on the District Court stage.
I mean, stage cameo Edgeworth can be replaced with any other prosecuter from the Ace Attourney series. Especially since Ace Attourney has more than just Edgeworth and Karma in terms of "rivals" (using that word pretty loosely).
Back to top Go down
Roy
Level 7 CPU
Roy

RoyMaster4

PostSubject: Re: Miles Edgeworth (Ace Attorney) Discussion   Miles Edgeworth (Ace Attorney) Discussion EmptySat Jan 23, 2016 10:16 am

TrinitroMan wrote:
Oh right, I forgot that Edgeworth is a cameo as well.
If that's the case, then I can only support Edgeworth as a character, if there will be no stage cameo Edgeworth while Edgeworth is fighting on the District Court stage.
I mean, stage cameo Edgeworth can be replaced with any other prosecuter from the Ace Attourney series. Especially since Ace Attourney has more than just Edgeworth and Karma in terms of "rivals" (using that word pretty loosely).
That's the point, really. There are other detectives as well that could replace Gumshoe - why not Ema Skye or Bobby Fulbright?

Just going to take this time to mention that I've fixed up the moveset and completed it, so now there can be proper criticism.
Back to top Go down
Sean_McMuffin
Level 4 CPU
Sean_McMuffin

Mach Rider
  EnderSean311

PostSubject: Re: Miles Edgeworth (Ace Attorney) Discussion   Miles Edgeworth (Ace Attorney) Discussion EmptySun Jan 24, 2016 10:07 am

I would take Edgeworth as a Phoenix clone actually. Don't really know how he could differ that much from Phoenix though. I get you were trying to make an original moveset for him, but it just doesn't work well. I Still support though, just not with your moveset.
Back to top Go down
Braystar
Level 7 CPU
Braystar

Waluigi
  N/A

PostSubject: Re: Miles Edgeworth (Ace Attorney) Discussion   Miles Edgeworth (Ace Attorney) Discussion EmptyTue Jan 26, 2016 6:10 pm

Yeah, I'll take it. We need more characters who use their brain in Crusade's lineup. But what about his thief partner's phone thing? Sorry, never seen Investigations I know, I'm a disgrace to AA fans
Back to top Go down
Roy
Level 7 CPU
Roy

RoyMaster4

PostSubject: Re: Miles Edgeworth (Ace Attorney) Discussion   Miles Edgeworth (Ace Attorney) Discussion EmptyTue Jan 26, 2016 6:31 pm

Braystar wrote:
Yeah, I'll take it. We need more characters who use their brain in Crusade's lineup. But what about his thief partner's phone thing? Sorry, never seen Investigations I know, I'm a disgrace to AA fans
Little Thief is just a hologram, I don't think it could be used outside of a taunt. Thanks for the support, though!
Back to top Go down
Chaotic Chao
Level 4 CPU
Chaotic Chao

Phoenix Wright
  ChaotixChao

PostSubject: Re: Miles Edgeworth (Ace Attorney) Discussion   Miles Edgeworth (Ace Attorney) Discussion EmptyThu Jan 28, 2016 10:29 am

I totally support on the condition that you admit that this
Roy wrote:

Up Special: Step Ladder
Edgeworth takes out a step ladder and climbs it relatively quickly before putting it away. Don't question the physics behind it. It doesn't really get him very high, though... at least it's fast so he can potentially use it for a third jump during combos.
is a typo - the move should obviously just be named "Ladder"
I won't have any narrow-minded cultural assumptions in this moveset, I'll have you know
Back to top Go down
Roy
Level 7 CPU
Roy

RoyMaster4

PostSubject: Re: Miles Edgeworth (Ace Attorney) Discussion   Miles Edgeworth (Ace Attorney) Discussion EmptyThu Jan 28, 2016 1:42 pm

Chaotic Chao wrote:
I totally support on the condition that you admit that this
Roy wrote:

Up Special: Step Ladder
is a typo - the move should obviously just be named "Ladder"
I won't have any narrow-minded cultural assumptions in this moveset, I'll have you know
Pfft... ok fine. Ha ha....
Back to top Go down
Braystar
Level 7 CPU
Braystar

Waluigi
  N/A

PostSubject: Re: Miles Edgeworth (Ace Attorney) Discussion   Miles Edgeworth (Ace Attorney) Discussion EmptySun Jan 31, 2016 4:11 pm

I knew this would happen.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Miles Edgeworth (Ace Attorney) Discussion   Miles Edgeworth (Ace Attorney) Discussion Empty

Back to top Go down

Miles Edgeworth (Ace Attorney) Discussion
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1