HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Masked Man (EarthBound) Discussion: I'm gonna get so strong even Dragos won't stand a chance against me!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Naughty Ottsel
Level 5 CPU

Captain Falcon

PostSubject: Re: Masked Man (EarthBound) Discussion: I'm gonna get so strong even Dragos won't stand a chance against me!   Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:59 pm

Caring about something does not equal having time for it. Besides, just because there are other games higher in priority on my backlog doesn't mean I didn't care about Mother 3.

I'd disagree. The whole reason spoilers are a bad thing is because they make you know, and thus expect, a crucial moment or reveal in a story. Without the spoiler, the moment or reveal has the potential to hit you like a ton of bricks. With the spoiler, you see it coming, and the moment itself loses that impact, because it's also lost the element of surprise. Or, in the case of stories that set up their reveals very well, without the spoiler you can slowly piece together the truth on your own, and suspect it for yourself as you move through the story. When the moment arrives, you either get a very satisfying feeling of being right, or a shock as the real reveal comes out of left field and is completely different what you expected. With both, having the moment spoiled means you get neither the moment of surprise nor the moment of prolonged suspicion, leading to a pay-off moment.

I will admit the insult was uncalled for. I apologize. I was salty.
I still don't support, though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lego Shaq

Petey Piranha

PostSubject: Re: Masked Man (EarthBound) Discussion: I'm gonna get so strong even Dragos won't stand a chance against me!   Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:26 pm

Naughty Ottsel wrote:
Caring about something does not equal having time for it. Besides, just because there are other games higher in priority on my backlog doesn't mean I didn't care about Mother 3.

I'd disagree. The whole reason spoilers are a bad thing is because they make you know, and thus expect, a crucial moment or reveal in a story. Without the spoiler, the moment or reveal has the potential to hit you like a ton of bricks. With the spoiler, you see it coming, and the moment itself loses that impact, because it's also lost the element of surprise. Or, in the case of stories that set up their reveals very well, without the spoiler you can slowly piece together the truth on your own, and suspect it for yourself as you move through the story. When the moment arrives, you either get a very satisfying feeling of being right, or a shock as the real reveal comes out of left field and is completely different what you expected. With both, having the moment spoiled means you get neither the moment of surprise nor the moment of prolonged suspicion, leading to a pay-off moment.

I will admit the insult was uncalled for. I apologize. I was salty.
I still don't support, though.
You made this whole drawn-out issue for something you don't even support?

I'm not apologizing for "spoiling" a twist of a popular 10 year old game where said twist is not only kinda predictable but well-known.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Naughty Ottsel
Level 5 CPU

Captain Falcon

PostSubject: Re: Masked Man (EarthBound) Discussion: I'm gonna get so strong even Dragos won't stand a chance against me!   Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:12 pm

The issue isn't so much over the suggestion as it is the spoiler, but point taken.

Why would you apologize? You weren't the one that spoiled it. Though, I'm inferring that you'd have no qualms with doing so, despite what a bastard thing it is to spoil something, regardless of how 'well-known' the thing you're spoiling is. Poor show, Shaq.
But, in any case, spoilers being the bane of existence or a minor thing people shouldn't care about, I don't really want to keep this going. Can we just leave it at some people hate spoilers and some people don't give a shit, and both have their reasons, and move on with the character suggesting?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Masked Man (EarthBound) Discussion: I'm gonna get so strong even Dragos won't stand a chance against me!   Today at 7:27 am

Back to top Go down

Masked Man (EarthBound) Discussion: I'm gonna get so strong even Dragos won't stand a chance against me!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2