Happy New Year! We're celebrating with a brand new character trailer!
v0.9.1 is looking to be the most competitive-friendly version yet, and here to show off some combos, techniques and legal stages is Dr. Mario! Check out his trailer below!
So what makes Dr. Mario unique from Mario? We've done quite a bit while keeping his moveset in tact!
Doc runs slower, jumps with less height, and has overall worse mobility. What he lacks in speed however, he makes up for in combos, as seen in the trailer!
Doc's Up Special is the Ol' One Two from SSB4! This attack does not travel as high as Mario's, but it packs some serious power!
Doc's Neutral Special is the classic pill! This projectile bounces with height relative to it's fall speed, while fireballs bounce at a constant height.
Doc's Side Special is the Shocking Sheet from SSB4! This version of the cape has greater range and a powerful hitbox, but it cannot provide air recovery nor can it reflect. Use this attack to blast your foes away!
Doc's Down Special is the Freezing Tornado, unique to SSBC! This variation does not provide as much recovery, but it freezes the opponent and sets up combo followups!
Overall, Doc's special moves are tailored towards kills and combos rather than recovery and spacing. This is true of the rest of his moveset as well. Doc focuses on combos and power rather than recovery, speed and spacing.
We've also decided to keep many of his attack properties from official titles, which you can see in action in his trailer! Up Smash ground bounces foes, Down Tilt pulls inward, Forward Air reliably kills, and much more! We've carefully fine-tuned each of these unique traits to make sure they're more effective than ever before!
Lastly, Doc has received a brand new Down Air! The classic Mario stomp arrives, powerfully meteoring airborne foes and burying those on the ground!
You can see all of these in action in the trailer above! Full List of Differences from Mario:
- Slower run speed - Slower walk speed - Slower air speed - Lower jump heights
- Up Tilt has more favorable stun and KB for combos - Side Tilt has increased KB - Down Tilt pulls opponents in, sending them behind Doc. Unlike Melee, this has high stun and allows for tricky followups to start or continue combos
- Dash Attack sends straight up instead of outward, and combos into aerials
- Down Throw and Up Throw last longer for combos
- Fsmash has much less range, but also has higher kill power - Up Smash has two different hitboxes depending on whether the opponent is on the ground or in the air. Airborne opponets get smashed normally. Grounded opponents get spiked very hard, which usually results in a ground bounce. This can combo into most aerials
- Neutral Air starts weak and grows in strength, the opposite of Marios. In Crusade, the weak version combos and the strong version kills! - Forward Air cannot meteor, it will always send out and upward with high power - Back Air has a semi-spike angle instead of an upward angle - Up Air has less range but more combo potential - Down Air is a stall-then-fall meteor/bury
- Neutral Special travels slower, but has more stun. It also bounces based on fall distance, rather than having a set bounce height
- Side special has high kill power and range, but cannot reflect or boost recovery
- Down Special has less height boost, but freezes opponents to set up combos
- Up Special gains less height, but has more KO power
Doc can walljump, including out of Up Special
Doc has a more rushdown style than Mario. His recovery, mobility and spacing are worse, but his combos and KO power are much greater.
I didn't expect this, at least this soon xD. You're doing a great job guys Through I expected more differences, I prefer him being a Mario clone, and he has cool combos. I'll probably main him in 0.9.1 P.S: Also, I noticed reflecting being a bit better and more like Smash 4 and Ness having his Smash 4 voice clips :3
Every fan made smash game seems to so this. Why are new character introductions always combo videos? I know it displays what the character is capable of combo wise, but that's just it, I personally don't find it as appealing.