HomePortalCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 
 

 Tom Nook (Animal Crossing) discussion "Quite affordable, yes yes?"

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Mellon
Level 5 CPU


  Samus
  344
  mellon1111

PostSubject: Tom Nook (Animal Crossing) discussion "Quite affordable, yes yes?"   Tue Oct 06, 2015 4:07 am

who me no i wasn't dead

This started out a joke, but if we ever were to add the Villager in Crusade I feel like the series should get a villain. The one widely accepted villain in Animal Crossing is Tom Nook, but please keep in mind that this thread should only be taken seriously if the Villager is added first.

So, an idea I had for Tom Nook was that he'd use his neutral special to absorb incoming attacks with his neutral special to boost his "Money level". His money level would affect the strength of the attack, and he would lose money when attacked.

Neutral Special: Tom Nook holds a device in front of him that turns incoming attacks into bells, which he then collects in a bag to increase his money level. Functions like a counter, but blows the target away a bit instead of dealing damage

Side Special: A bag of bells is thrown forward, which deals more damage the higher the money level is. Flies further and faster with less bells, however.

Down Smash: Tom Nook swipes with his tail behind him, then drops a bag of bells in front of him. The tail swipe deals 3% damage, knocks the target into the second hit and makes the same sound as getting hit by Mario's cape in Smash 4. The damage and speed of the second hit depends on the money level.

Forward Air: Tom Nook holds a bag of bells above his head, then swings it down like in DK's Forward Air. The damage and speed of this attack depends on the money level

Money level 0 (Absorbing 0-5% from attacks): 1% damage, flies fast but doesn't go far at all. Only makes the target flinch and makes the same sound as getting hit by Mr Saturn. Can be useful for gimping, but after a while in the air it will simply start floating down slowly, making it easy to avoid.

Money level 1 (Absorbing 6% from attacks): 5% damage, flies faster than level 0 and goes much further. Can K.O, but only at percentages as high as 250%

Money level 2 (Absorbing 27% from attacks: 12% damage, flies slightly slower than level 0 but still travels a decent amount of distance. Can K.O at around 120%

Money level 3 (Absorbing 50% from attacks): 21% damage, moves like SSB4 Pac-Man's cherry but can K.O as early as 60%

Money level 4 (Absorbing 80% from attacks): 30% damage and kills more often than Game and Watch's 9 Judge. However, while using this move Tom Nook will hold the bag above his head for a long while before dropping the bag right in front of him, like Villager's Bowling ball.

His other attacks could either be generic tail slaps (Maybe use Yoshi's SSB4 back air?) or use elements from other important Animal Crossing characters like hitting people with K.K's guitar, summoning either Pelly, Phyllis or Pete for his Up Special, using Blathers for an aerial and so forth. The possibilities are almost endless, just like Animal Crossing.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mikael_Fernandes
Level 3 CPU


  Mr. Game and Watch
  68
  N/A

PostSubject: Re: Tom Nook (Animal Crossing) discussion "Quite affordable, yes yes?"   Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:21 am

no support from me until we get villager
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mellon
Level 5 CPU


  Samus
  344
  mellon1111

PostSubject: Re: Tom Nook (Animal Crossing) discussion "Quite affordable, yes yes?"   Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:31 am

Mikael_Fernandes wrote:
no support from me until we get villager
That's the point of that beginning monologue. I don't want Tom Nook in before the Villager either, but I might as well post the ideas I have here before I forget them forever.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Roy
Level 7 CPU


  Mega Man
  1169
  RoyMaster4

PostSubject: Re: Tom Nook (Animal Crossing) discussion "Quite affordable, yes yes?"   Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:54 am

Hm. Interesting idea.

I don't like the generic 'device' you use. You should try to limit him to what is in the games to begin with. It doesn't seem like Nook to use something like that.

Perhaps implement some carpentry into his moveset? He's the one who upgrades your home, and in New Leaf he sells you exterior aesthetics. There's also Timmy and Tommy who can be used somewhere.


Of course, Villager's final smash would have to be changed, but that's a small price to pay.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mellon
Level 5 CPU


  Samus
  344
  mellon1111

PostSubject: Re: Tom Nook (Animal Crossing) discussion "Quite affordable, yes yes?"   Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:25 pm

Roy wrote:
Hm. Interesting idea.

I don't like the generic 'device' you use. You should try to limit him to what is in the games to begin with. It doesn't seem like Nook to use something like that.

Perhaps implement some carpentry into his moveset? He's the one who upgrades your home, and in New Leaf he sells you exterior aesthetics. There's also Timmy and Tommy who can be used somewhere.


Of course, Villager's final smash would have to be changed, but that's a small price to pay.
I see what you did there

Well, when I said "Device" I was thinking of something like the bank machine in New Leaf. But just having him carry around an empty Bell bag works too. Heck, the bag could also be a part of his sprite, allowing you to see how much money he has at that moment.

Carpentry is an excellent idea for his moveset, but it feels a bit too large to put it in an aerial or a Smash attack. Maybe have his Down Special be a parody of Villager's tree using a house instead? I don't really know how to use the house building in his moveset, but if it were to be placed anywhere it would be in his Down Special.

As for Timmy and Tommy, I had an idea to use them in his Grab. One of the two twins would lunge forward for his grab like Olimar's Side Special, and would then headbutt the opponent for a pummel while Tom Nook gives orders behind him. The other twin could be used in the different throws, but the main idea is that Tom Nook lets the twins do all the grabbing. Maybe pummeling foes could increase the money level in exchange for dealing no damage? Again, these are just ideas.

I have yet to think of a Final Smash for the guy, but if the Villager's Final Smash was changed I feel like the possibilities for Tom Nook's final smash are pretty wide. Building a house on the opponent would be kind of bland though if it's already in his Down Special.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lego Shaq



  Petey Piranha
  1359

PostSubject: Re: Tom Nook (Animal Crossing) discussion "Quite affordable, yes yes?"   Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:46 pm

Tom's not a villain. The fandom grossly exaggerates the fact that he runs a business and needs money. He also helps you out a lot and was childhood friends with one of the Mable Sisters.

I feel the forward air being such a unique move is a total waste. It should be his neutral.

I honestly think the moveset is..uninspired, besides his whole money gimmick which is a bit overdone. You need to combine a bit of everything, like the SSB4 Villager.

Make the whole moveset, give more reasons then him falsely being a villain, and maybe I'll support.

Then again I'm not sure; I really want Isabelle, could we have 3 AC reps? I think so but that could affect my vote.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mellon
Level 5 CPU


  Samus
  344
  mellon1111

PostSubject: Re: Tom Nook (Animal Crossing) discussion "Quite affordable, yes yes?"   Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:48 pm

Lego Shaq wrote:
Tom's not a villain. The fandom grossly exaggerates the fact that he runs a business and needs money. He also helps you out a lot and was childhood friends with one of the Mable Sisters.

I feel the forward air being such a unique move is a total waste. It should be his neutral.

I honestly think the moveset is..uninspired, besides his whole money gimmick which is a bit overdone. You need to combine a bit of everything, like the SSB4 Villager.

Make the whole moveset, give more reasons then him falsely being a villain, and maybe I'll support.

Then again I'm not sure; I really want Isabelle, could we have 3 AC reps? I think so but that could affect my vote.
Well, the reason why Tom is thought of as a villain is because there really isn't one in Animal Crossing. But if there's one person who keeps blocking your progress in Animal Crossing it would be him. Other reasons for wanting him as a character is that he's very popular, has been around since Animal Crossing GameCube and would represent the important NPCs as a whole.

This also isn't a finished moveset, just me throwing ideas around. I know this isn't like me but I didn't want to go offline for 5 months again just because of an unfinished moveset. The money gimmick could also be used in way more areas than his Fair, I just thought powering up an aerial with a special was unique.

Three Animal Crossing villains is not overdone in the slightest. We now have 4 main series Animal Crossing games and 2 spinoffs, and almost all of them have been recieved really well. Animal Crossing is a popular series and should be represented more in Smash.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
OmegaSteve777
Level 7 CPU


  Gooey
  1319

PostSubject: Re: Tom Nook (Animal Crossing) discussion "Quite affordable, yes yes?"   Tue Oct 06, 2015 10:57 pm

I would argue that Resetti is more of a villain than Tom Nook is.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ZaiWolfgang
Level 1 CPU


  Phoenix Wright
  19
  N/A

PostSubject: Re: Tom Nook (Animal Crossing) discussion "Quite affordable, yes yes?"   Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:50 pm

Resetti is hardly a villain he is just doing his job like tom nook. neither are villains. however mr resetti is heavily invested in his job and just tries to be the best he can to his ability.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mellon
Level 5 CPU


  Samus
  344
  mellon1111

PostSubject: Re: Tom Nook (Animal Crossing) discussion "Quite affordable, yes yes?"   Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:32 am

OmegaSteve777 wrote:
I would argue that Resetti is more of a villain than Tom Nook is.
Well, maybe, but I feel like Tom Nook is more well-known and popular than Resetti, who's even optional in New Leaf. Also, his role as an Assist Trophy in Brawl was brilliant and has to return.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Lego Shaq



  Petey Piranha
  1359

PostSubject: Re: Tom Nook (Animal Crossing) discussion "Quite affordable, yes yes?"   Wed Oct 07, 2015 1:52 pm

Mellon wrote:
Lego Shaq wrote:
Tom's not a villain. The fandom grossly exaggerates the fact that he runs a business and needs money. He also helps you out a lot and was childhood friends with one of the Mable Sisters.

I feel the forward air being such a unique move is a total waste. It should be his neutral.

I honestly think the moveset is..uninspired, besides his whole money gimmick which is a bit overdone. You need to combine a bit of everything, like the SSB4 Villager.

Make the whole moveset, give more reasons then him falsely being a villain, and maybe I'll support.

Then again I'm not sure; I really want Isabelle, could we have 3 AC reps? I think so but that could affect my vote.
Well, the reason why Tom is thought of as a villain is because there really isn't one in Animal Crossing. But if there's one person who keeps blocking your progress in Animal Crossing it would be him. Other reasons for wanting him as a character is that he's very popular, has been around since Animal Crossing GameCube and would represent the important NPCs as a whole.

This also isn't a finished moveset, just me throwing ideas around. I know this isn't like me but I didn't want to go offline for 5 months again just because of an unfinished moveset. The money gimmick could also be used in way more areas than his Fair, I just thought powering up an aerial with a special was unique.

Three Animal Crossing villains is not overdone in the slightest. We now have 4 main series Animal Crossing games and 2 spinoffs, and almost all of them have been recieved really well. Animal Crossing is a popular series and should be represented more in Smash.
The "fair" part was when I just skimmed over and assumed that was the only move.

That was my point (and you mean characters?), there's no problem with 3.

But yes, finish the moveset and I'll definitely consider supporting.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Tom Nook (Animal Crossing) discussion "Quite affordable, yes yes?"   Today at 11:54 pm

Back to top Go down
 
Tom Nook (Animal Crossing) discussion "Quite affordable, yes yes?"
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Animal Crossing is from hell
» Animal Crossing New Leaf
» Smash Bros U 2014, Megaman, Villager (Animal Crossing) confirmed
» Animal Crossing: New Leaf
» Animal Crossing: Wild World Playthrough

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 ::  :: Character Discussion :: Unofficial Characters-
Jump to:  
Free forum | © phpBB | Free forum support | Contact | Report an abuse | Free forum