Quote (Cave Story) Discussion

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
JacobDaGun
Level 2 CPU
JacobDaGun

N/A

Quote (Cave Story) Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Quote (Cave Story) Discussion   Quote (Cave Story) Discussion EmptyTue Sep 15, 2015 1:13 pm

The second, and perhaps the last, character I am suggesting for. Don't worry, Curly Brace is coming soon!

Quote (Cave Story) Discussion Cave-story-3d-quote-character-artwork

Quote is the silent protagonist of the game Cave Story -- or Doukutsu Monogatari if you're Japanese.  He is a human-like robot who woke up with amnesia in the caverns of a floating island.  He uses a large plethora of weapons to fight in his quest to save the Mimiga, a race of rabbit-like creatures, and stop The Doctor, the current owner of the Demon Crown (which is evil and powerful).

In Crusade, Quote would be a character who has good jumping and is a bit heavier despite his average size.

Intro:  A teleporter appears and puts Quote onto the stage.
Stance:  He stands normally, his gun held in his leading hand.  He bounces on his toes every so often.
Idle:  Looks behind him, at the background, and above him before resuming his stance.
Walk:  He walks forward.  Nothing special.
Run:  Runs forward.  Nothing special.
Shield:  Puts his arms up defensively.
Dizzy:  He sways a bit, glitching into other parts of animation periodically.
Sleep:  He looks at the ground, unmoving.
Taunt 1:  He picks a small energy crystal out of his pocket and casually tosses it upwards, catching it, and placing it back into his pocket.  The sound of picking one up from the game also plays as he tosses it.
Taunt 2:  He pulls the Map System out of his pocket and studies it for a moment before putting it back into his pocket.
Victory:  The Silver Locket is clasped in one hand at his side as he looks off into the distance, slowly hefting the Rocket Launcher up onto his shoulder.
--------
Jab:  He strikes twice with his open hand before swinging forward overhand with his gun.
Dash Attack:  The Booster gives him a short boost, sending him forward head-first.  Decent ending lag, good knockback, viable kill move.
FTilt:  A reaching swing with his gun.
DTilt:  Kicks forward with one leg while crouching.
UTilt:  He thrusts his open hand above him, a Whimsical Star appearing above his palm.
FSmash:  He winds up, one leg held off the ground as the Blade is held behind him.  He brings the Blade down, the leg held upward catching him as he cleaves the air in front of him.  Has a good amount of starting lag, but covers a wide area and has good damage and knockback.  Sweet spot near the end of the blade that sends opponents down and deals more damage, sweet spot at the tip of the sword that sends opponents flying away, but dealing less damage. As he charges, he holds the Blade behind him with one arm. When released, Quote swings forward, throwing the Blade. It spins rapidly, moving forward a bit before retreating and returning to Quote who catches it. Does multiple hits on the back, knocks opponents away at the front, and it does has a fair amount of ending lag. (Thanks to NaughtyOttsel for the idea.)
DSmash:  He pulls out the Rocket Launcher and holds it slightly behind him as it is charged.  When released, he hops into the air a few pixels and blasts the ground below him with rockets.  Some starting lag, creates smoke that deals minimal damage and knockback and the blast itself that deals a lot of damage and fair knockback.
USmash:  He swings a red gun (the Fireball) above his head in an arc, leaving behind a firey trail of fire.  Little lag on this move, but does not give high knockback or high damage.
Neutral B:  Polaris.  The Polaris is charged up, a series of short beeps playing as the weapon charges up that increase in frequency dependent on the level of charge.  (For those who have played the game, think of when you charge the Spur.)  There are 6 levels of charge, producing one small shot, 2 small shots, a large shot, a small beam, 2 small beams, or a large beam.  The 6th level also makes the 3 Whimsical Stars (each of varying size, and therefore damage) spin around Quote for a brief moment.
Side B:  Fireball.  The Fireball is shot forward, the shot bouncing along terrain and even off walls for a short time.  The head deals moderate damage and also causes the shot to dissipate, the tail deals little damage.
Down B:  Bubbler.  The Bubbler is charged briefly before releasing a short stream of bubbles.  Charging lasts about 1.5", and lasts only as long as the Special button is held, a minimum of 0.5".  Releasing early makes for a quicker attack, but will also mean less bubbles.  Bubbles can be aimed slightly when shot, the bubbles only angling a few frames after they were shot.
Up B:  Booster.  The Booster is activated, allowing for free aerial mobility for several brief seconds.  This move deals no damage.
NAir:  The Whimsical Stars spin around Quote briefly.  The largest star gives decent knockback.
FAir:  A swift chop in front of him with his free hand.
BAir:  The Booster blows some exhaust behind Quote.
DAir:  A diving kick.  Quote falls down when he lands.  Sweet spot just as Quote hits the ground, doing fair amounts of knockback.
UAir:  Swats his gun above his head.
Grab:  He reaches forward with his open hand to grab opponents.
Pummel:  Get pistol whipped, son!  (More accurately, he just smacks them with the hilt of his gun.)
FThrow:  He slashes them with the Blade, knocking them forward.
BThrow:  Quote turns around and shoots the target with a rocket.  Good knockback, valid kill move.
DThrow:  Opponent is thrown to the ground and heel-slammed.
UThrow:  Quote shoots them with the Bubbler, the bubbles carrying the target upwards before all simultaneously bursting and knocking the opponent upwards some.  Knockback does not stack (?) well, meaning it gives less knockback at higher percentages than other moves.
Get-Up Attack:  He spins around using his Booster, swinging his legs around, the Booster righting Quote onto his feet.
Ledge Attack:  He smacks what's above him on the ledge with his gun as he hoists himself onto the stage.
Final Smash:  King's Finisher.  King appears, Blade in hand, as he dashes forward a short distance.  The first opponent encountered is trapped into a combo attack from King, his finisher causing the air to erupt into slashes, launching the opponent away diagonally upwards.  Deals a lot of damage, even if it does not kill.

Victory theme should be the Heart Canister theme from the game itself, but remixed.

Why Quote?
Pros:
-  Has had 2 games and 2 "redone" versions for WiiWare and 3DS.
-  Would add an indie representative.
-  Good moveset potential.
Cons:
-  Shovel Knight seems to be the most popular choice.

Post notes:
Just to sate those "Why isn't Curly Brace in any of this" comments, she could be an alternate costume for Quote.  I had intended for her to be a seperate character at one point -- hence also why some weapons like the Machine Gun and Nemesis do not show up in this moveset -- but ultimately, I never got around to planning her in full.  Sad Strike that, I'm planning a full moveset for her. Stay tuned for more info.

Anyway, like always, this is by no means a definitive moveset, and welcome any and all opinions.  If you'd like to support it, great.  If you think this isn't a good idea, or that there are other or better characters to support, great.  I hold no contempt or judgment for you either way.

Thank you for your time, and have a lovely day.

Supporters:

Last edited by JacobDaGun on Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:10 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Slight revision, new supporter.)
Back to top Go down
TrinitroMan
Level 7 CPU
TrinitroMan

PostSubject: Re: Quote (Cave Story) Discussion   Quote (Cave Story) Discussion EmptyTue Sep 15, 2015 1:20 pm

Shovel Knight is hardly a con, though, because Quote should be in any Smash game (no matter if official or Crusade) before Shovel Knight simply because Cave Story is the father of indie games, and if Cave Story would have not existed, then Shovel Knight and any other indie game would have not existed as well.
Back to top Go down
JacobDaGun
Level 2 CPU
JacobDaGun

N/A

PostSubject: Re: Quote (Cave Story) Discussion   Quote (Cave Story) Discussion EmptyTue Sep 15, 2015 1:25 pm

I meant that more in a way of "Shovel Knight has a lot more support than Quote"...but you bring a very valid point.
Back to top Go down
Nohrian Sadist

Nohrian Sadist

cheezetime

PostSubject: Re: Quote (Cave Story) Discussion   Quote (Cave Story) Discussion EmptyTue Sep 15, 2015 2:01 pm

Support.
Back to top Go down
VultureDuck
Level 6 CPU
VultureDuck

PostSubject: Re: Quote (Cave Story) Discussion   Quote (Cave Story) Discussion EmptyTue Sep 15, 2015 2:31 pm

I'll support, but I'm not a fan of the side-special that much.
Back to top Go down
Lego Shaq

Lego Shaq

Geno

PostSubject: Re: Quote (Cave Story) Discussion   Quote (Cave Story) Discussion EmptyTue Sep 15, 2015 3:47 pm

Why your last? You make good threads.
Support.
Back to top Go down
JacobDaGun
Level 2 CPU
JacobDaGun

N/A

PostSubject: Re: Quote (Cave Story) Discussion   Quote (Cave Story) Discussion EmptyTue Sep 15, 2015 5:45 pm

Not a matter of "I don't want to make them anymore", it's more of a "What else do I do?"
And...well, I admit, I had no idea what to do for the side special.
And, thanks.
Back to top Go down
Lego Shaq

Lego Shaq

Geno

PostSubject: Re: Quote (Cave Story) Discussion   Quote (Cave Story) Discussion EmptyTue Sep 15, 2015 5:56 pm

...My apologies, buddy, but uh...
Dust just informed me that Nicalis may have stated they don't want Quote used in fan projects, so Quote can't be in Crusade..

Great moveset though, maybe apply it to another character.
And really go for any character; a series you love? Get the protag a thread!
Back to top Go down
TrinitroMan
Level 7 CPU
TrinitroMan

PostSubject: Re: Quote (Cave Story) Discussion   Quote (Cave Story) Discussion EmptyWed Sep 16, 2015 1:39 am

Lego Shaq wrote:
Nicalis may have stated they don't want Quote used in fan projects
I'm sorry, but that doesn't sound very believable. Is the source reliable?
Back to top Go down
Lego Shaq

Lego Shaq

Geno

PostSubject: Re: Quote (Cave Story) Discussion   Quote (Cave Story) Discussion EmptyWed Sep 16, 2015 1:32 pm

TrinitroMan wrote:
Lego Shaq wrote:
Nicalis may have stated they don't want Quote used in fan projects
I'm sorry, but that doesn't sound very believable. Is the source reliable?
I have not found the source; I simply remember that being said. I will find the source soon.
Back to top Go down
Naughty Ottsel
Level 5 CPU
Naughty Ottsel

Captain Falcon
  Vanillogic

PostSubject: Re: Quote (Cave Story) Discussion   Quote (Cave Story) Discussion EmptyWed Sep 16, 2015 9:28 pm

Support. Love Cave Story, solid moveset, though I think the F-Smash should have at least a limited range projectile aspect, a la how you threw the sword in Cave Story. Otherwise, pretty solid.

Though, what's with everyone seeming to think we can only have, like, 2 indies? What's wrong with Quote and Shovel Knight?

EDIT: conjunctions are hard

Last edited by Naughty Ottsel on Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
JacobDaGun
Level 2 CPU
JacobDaGun

N/A

PostSubject: Re: Quote (Cave Story) Discussion   Quote (Cave Story) Discussion EmptyThu Sep 17, 2015 10:57 am

Naughty Ottsel wrote:
Support. Love Cave Story, solid moveset, though I think the F-Smash should have at least a limited range projectile aspect, a la how you threw the sword in Cave Story. Otherwise, pretty solid.

Though, what's with everyone seeming to think we can only have, like, 2 indies? What's wrong with Quote Shovel Knight?

Ah, true enough...
Also, really good idea! I hadn't thought of that before!
Thanks!
Back to top Go down
OmegaSteve777
Level 8 CPU
OmegaSteve777

Gooey

PostSubject: Re: Quote (Cave Story) Discussion   Quote (Cave Story) Discussion EmptyThu Sep 17, 2015 12:08 pm

I remember there was an indie fighting game with famous indie characters at the time. Quote was going to be in the game, but was removed because Nicalis didn't want him to be in it.
Back to top Go down
Lego Shaq

Lego Shaq

Geno

PostSubject: Re: Quote (Cave Story) Discussion   Quote (Cave Story) Discussion EmptyThu Sep 17, 2015 1:55 pm

Naughty Ottsel wrote:

Though, what's with everyone seeming to think we can only have, like, 2 indies? What's wrong with Quote Shovel Knight?
Not sure why you randomly bought up Shovel Knight tbh Ottsel

But yes I agree, it's a solid moveset.

OmegaSteve777 wrote:
I remember there was an indie fighting game with famous indie characters at the time. Quote was going to be in the game, but was removed because Nicalis didn't want him to be in it.
"Indie Fight", I remember.
Back to top Go down
SP

cellularSP

PostSubject: Re: Quote (Cave Story) Discussion   Quote (Cave Story) Discussion EmptyThu Sep 17, 2015 3:17 pm

Lego Shaq wrote:
"Indie Fight", I remember.

Indie Brawl

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?board=29.0
Back to top Go down
JacobDaGun
Level 2 CPU
JacobDaGun

N/A

PostSubject: Re: Quote (Cave Story) Discussion   Quote (Cave Story) Discussion EmptySun Sep 20, 2015 1:28 pm

So...are we okay, then?
Back to top Go down
TrinitroMan
Level 7 CPU
TrinitroMan

PostSubject: Re: Quote (Cave Story) Discussion   Quote (Cave Story) Discussion EmptyMon Sep 21, 2015 12:09 am

Well, I definitely support!
Back to top Go down
Braystar
Level 7 CPU
Braystar

Waluigi
  N/A

PostSubject: Re: Quote (Cave Story) Discussion   Quote (Cave Story) Discussion EmptyThu Oct 08, 2015 5:14 pm

Support.
Back to top Go down
Mellon
Level 5 CPU
Mellon

mellon1111

PostSubject: Re: Quote (Cave Story) Discussion   Quote (Cave Story) Discussion EmptyThu Oct 08, 2015 11:27 pm

Thank you Braystar for bringing this topic to my attention. Quote has my full support
Back to top Go down
Braystar
Level 7 CPU
Braystar

Waluigi
  N/A

PostSubject: Re: Quote (Cave Story) Discussion   Quote (Cave Story) Discussion EmptyFri Oct 09, 2015 1:29 am

Nothing like bumping good posts. And bad (Rip Morrigan)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Quote (Cave Story) Discussion   Quote (Cave Story) Discussion Empty

Back to top Go down

Quote (Cave Story) Discussion
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1