View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Smash King
Smash King
Smash King

EJ88201

Ridley Discussion  Empty
PostSubject: Ridley Discussion    Ridley Discussion  EmptyThu Oct 02, 2014 2:18 pm

Discuss, share opinions, ideas, etc. about Ridley.
Back to top Go down
Ascedmor
Level 1 CPU
Ascedmor

Ridley Discussion  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridley Discussion    Ridley Discussion  EmptySat Oct 04, 2014 4:41 pm

You might want to take a look at ridleys swoop attack where he grabs you and throws you forwards; seems to me that its a bit too easy to throw people right out of the screen no matter what their % is at, though this does only really apply to stages with walk-off or near-walk-off (e.g Hyrule castle)
Back to top Go down
Crimson Heights
Level 4 CPU

Hyperbeam Canon

Ridley Discussion  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridley Discussion    Ridley Discussion  EmptySat Oct 04, 2014 4:48 pm

I also love Ridley's up special attack, he grabs you and hurls you away.

Though sometimes his swoop doesn't feel right, but that's just me I think, because I also have a hard time doing it and it's do only a half swoop or a swoop straight down. He looks awesome though, great job team!
Back to top Go down
Sk00ps

Sk00ps

N/A

Ridley Discussion  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridley Discussion    Ridley Discussion  EmptyTue Aug 18, 2015 4:52 pm

Ridley is my current main in Smash Crusade and I love him. I have found a few combos with his Up B and I'm trying my best to become a very good Ridley player.
Back to top Go down
Sk00ps

Sk00ps

N/A

Ridley Discussion  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridley Discussion    Ridley Discussion  EmptyThu Sep 17, 2015 4:37 pm

My only gripe with Ridley is that he's a little too fast on the ground for my liking. It makes using certain moves or grabbing a bit difficult
Back to top Go down
Mikael_Fernandes
Level 3 CPU
Mikael_Fernandes

N/A

Ridley Discussion  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridley Discussion    Ridley Discussion  EmptyFri Sep 18, 2015 9:01 am

am i the only one here who think ridley's fireballs (neutral and down) are very ugly looking?
Back to top Go down
Perfect Hell

Perfect Hell

Ridley Discussion  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridley Discussion    Ridley Discussion  EmptyFri Sep 18, 2015 11:03 am

UberChaos11 wrote:
My only gripe with Ridley is that he's a little too fast on the ground for my liking. It makes using certain moves or grabbing a bit difficult

If others agree we could potentially give a low running start speed with low-ish accel into his fast top run speed
Back to top Go down
Mikael_Fernandes
Level 3 CPU
Mikael_Fernandes

N/A

Ridley Discussion  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridley Discussion    Ridley Discussion  EmptyFri Sep 18, 2015 1:26 pm

Perfect Hell wrote:
UberChaos11 wrote:

If others agree we could potentially give a low running start speed with low-ish accel into his fast top run speed
IT WOULD MAKE SENSE SINCE RIDLEY IS FRICKING HUGEKappa
but seriously,in the metroid games,ridley was really slow on the ground but fast in the air,so it makes sense to do this (and maybe give him more speed in the air)
Back to top Go down
Perfect Hell

Perfect Hell

Ridley Discussion  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridley Discussion    Ridley Discussion  EmptySat Sep 19, 2015 9:36 am

In crusade, ridley's run animation is actually flying, that's why he's so fast on the ground. His walk is extremely slow by comparison
Back to top Go down
Mikael_Fernandes
Level 3 CPU
Mikael_Fernandes

N/A

Ridley Discussion  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridley Discussion    Ridley Discussion  EmptySat Sep 19, 2015 10:45 am

makes sense now.
Back to top Go down
Falcon8r

Falcon8r

Ridley Discussion  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridley Discussion    Ridley Discussion  EmptySun Sep 20, 2015 12:00 pm

I agree, sometimes I run right past my opponent trying to grab them. Maybe his initial dash speed should be lowered. I think overall he feels right though.
Back to top Go down
Perfect Hell

Perfect Hell

Ridley Discussion  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridley Discussion    Ridley Discussion  EmptySun Sep 20, 2015 12:12 pm

^ Exactly what I suggested earlier, minus the run accel. I'll tool around with it
Back to top Go down
AmareTSM

AmareTSM

N/A

Ridley Discussion  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridley Discussion    Ridley Discussion  EmptyMon Sep 21, 2015 5:45 pm

I think it would be good if you lowered his running speed, but to compensate, give him Peach's float and let him float just as fast as he can run now.
Back to top Go down
Sk00ps

Sk00ps

N/A

Ridley Discussion  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridley Discussion    Ridley Discussion  EmptyMon Sep 21, 2015 6:00 pm

I don't see a point to him being able to float.
Back to top Go down
Nohrian Sadist

Nohrian Sadist

cheezetime

Ridley Discussion  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridley Discussion    Ridley Discussion  EmptyMon Sep 21, 2015 7:11 pm

AmareTSM wrote:
I think it would be good if you lowered his running speed, but to compensate, give him Peach's float and let him float just as fast as he can run now.

You want Ridley to have a glide and a float? That's a bit much, don't you think?
Back to top Go down
Sk00ps

Sk00ps

N/A

Ridley Discussion  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridley Discussion    Ridley Discussion  EmptyThu Oct 01, 2015 3:56 am

Up Throw kills early for Ridley, though I've noticed that he's more a combo orientated character unlike the heavyweights, so a kill throw that doesn't kill until the 100s seems perfect for him. His large size does make him a big combo target though. Down Throw combos into Full Charge Down B (regardless of which way they roll, if they do at all, and it dunks opponent's if you grab them over the ledge. Back throw isn't very useful at all from my experiences. Forward throw combos into Neutral B and I THINK Nair. Correct me if I'm wrong. Overall Ridley has some really good throws, his grab range isn't too shabby either.
Back to top Go down
AmareTSM

AmareTSM

N/A

Ridley Discussion  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridley Discussion    Ridley Discussion  EmptyThu Oct 01, 2015 6:30 pm

Sorry it took me so long to reply Leaf, but I honestly forgot about the glide, it's awkward and unnecessary due to his multiple jumps, all jumps, and the horizontal distance that can be gained from using n-spec. And the floating thing was really more-so me just thinking about ways that he could move fast in a glide-esque manner without having too fast of a run speed.
Back to top Go down
MarioStrikerMurphy1994
Level 5 CPU
MarioStrikerMurphy1994

Ridley Discussion  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridley Discussion    Ridley Discussion  EmptyMon Nov 30, 2015 4:51 pm

Well, gentlemen, let me say you that Ridley is one of my most favourite characters in this game.

Of course I knew that he has the enough potential for be playable in any SSB official game (stop all these hoaxes of "He's too big", please...!).

However, if I could suggest some few changes for him, I was thinking in these:

-Side Special: Turbulence: Now as a horizontal attack, and with some few chances of KO the opponent (depending the damage).

-Down Special: Air Raid

-And, for Final Smash, he transforms in Meta-Ridley.

What do you think? Comment, please.
Back to top Go down
Sk00ps

Sk00ps

N/A

Ridley Discussion  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridley Discussion    Ridley Discussion  EmptyMon Nov 30, 2015 6:42 pm

Ridley is fine as he is. Changing his Down Special is a no no. It's one of his best moves and used in a few of his combos (FThrow into full charged DSpecial is a good example). Side Special is also useful against characters with poor recovery or characters with limited movement during their recovery (i.e Klonoa). Ridley's Final Smash is one of his attacks as a boss in SSBB so I'd say leave it in.
Back to top Go down
Ridori
Level 2 CPU
Ridori

Ridley Discussion  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridley Discussion    Ridley Discussion  EmptyFri Jan 22, 2016 6:38 am

It's been a while since last post, so, is it ok to post?

I like how Ridley plays in Crusade and it's pretty fun most of the time (it's not fun getting hit obviously and that happens a lot). But i don't like one thing about him - the moveset. It doesn't feels Ridley enough for me. You've got must-have attacks like DAir, up throw...and thats it (maybe Neutral B too, but it feels less like fireballs and more like Bowser's Neutral B). Then you've got completly random stuff like Side Smash and Side B (i know this one is from Brawl, but that Ridley was barely like him - he didn't even have any projectiles). It's too late to change anything, but you missed so much when making him. And then there are some attacks in Ridley's moveset that just make no sense. UAir has him using his small wing spikes to attack and UTilt is some weird overhead tail swipe. At least you didn't use Meta Ridley as Final Smash. That would be stupid considering that it's not a powerup or even something like Beast Ganon. Anyway, why use completly made up stuff or things from SSB when he already has enough in Metroid to have half of his moveset or even more finished? Also, he stands straight most of the time when he was like this only when flying (at any other time, he was hunched over). Why exactly he was done like that? It's not accurate to how he was in Metroid or even Brawl. It's almost like making TP Beast Ganon bipedal.

He also needs some of his animations to be fixed. For example, if you don't fully charge Down B and shoot, he just freezes for few frames before instantly going into standing animation and when grabbing anyone with Up B, they are stuck in pose they were in when they were grabbed. This isn't even about the sprite quality (thats a problem with everything Crusade, especially ZSS, but i'm sure it will be fixed at some point). Coding must be fixed on those. It's been like this since day 1. Another thing that bothers me is that he slides during his jab for no reasons. This didn't happen in previous versions or at least wasn't as noticeable. It makes more sense for first 2 jabs, but he slides even when he should remain on same spot based on his animation.
Back to top Go down
MarioStrikerMurphy1994
Level 5 CPU
MarioStrikerMurphy1994

Ridley Discussion  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridley Discussion    Ridley Discussion  EmptyFri Jan 22, 2016 4:57 pm

Dream Ridley wrote:
Ridley is fine as he is. Changing his Down Special is a no no. It's one of his best moves and used in a few of his combos (FThrow into full charged DSpecial is a good example). Side Special is also useful against characters with poor recovery or characters with limited movement during their recovery (i.e Klonoa). Ridley's Final Smash is one of his attacks as a boss in SSBB so I'd say leave it in.

Well, this has so much sense, now I'm thinking XD
Back to top Go down
Braystar
Level 7 CPU
Braystar

Waluigi
  N/A

Ridley Discussion  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridley Discussion    Ridley Discussion  EmptyTue Feb 09, 2016 6:26 pm

Murphy, the "Ridley's too big" thing was even said by Sakurai. It's not a 'hoax'. Luckly these fangames can do wonders and boom, Ridley in Smash.
Back to top Go down
MarioStrikerMurphy1994
Level 5 CPU
MarioStrikerMurphy1994

Ridley Discussion  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridley Discussion    Ridley Discussion  EmptyWed Feb 10, 2016 6:19 pm

Braystar wrote:
Murphy, the "Ridley's too big" thing was even said by Sakurai. It's not a 'hoax'. Luckly these fangames can do wonders and boom, Ridley in Smash.

Frankly, buddy, I think that Nintendo gives always Ridley this size and appearence, basing in the psychological trait of "sometimes, we see the things bigger and terrible when we're alone and affraid"; so, with this, I think Ridley's actual size is 3-5 meters...

And, also, some another videogame main villains are depicted with this size, like Bowser (in Super Mario platform games, is shown 5 times bigger than Mario), and nobody complains about it...So, why must complain about Ridley, huh?
Back to top Go down
Braystar
Level 7 CPU
Braystar

Waluigi
  N/A

Ridley Discussion  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridley Discussion    Ridley Discussion  EmptyWed Feb 10, 2016 6:24 pm

Bowser has been bigger than Mario, like WAY bigger, but often in spin offs he has a consistant size.
But thinking he is 3-5 meters doesn't make him that size. He's known for being giant f*ckin' alien dragon thing. Notice how large he is against Samus. No way he's 3-5 meters.
Back to top Go down
Lego Shaq

Lego Shaq

Geno

Ridley Discussion  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridley Discussion    Ridley Discussion  EmptyWed Feb 10, 2016 6:39 pm

MarioStrikerMurphy1994 wrote:
Braystar wrote:

Frankly, buddy, I think that Nintendo gives always Ridley this size and appearence, basing in the psychological trait of "sometimes, we see the things bigger and terrible when we're alone and affraid"; so, with this, I think Ridley's actual size is 3-5 meters...

And, also, some another videogame main villains are depicted with this size, like Bowser (in Super Mario platform games, is shown 5 times bigger than Mario), and nobody complains about it...So, why must complain about Ridley, huh?
Except on the Smash stage, no one's afraid of him and he's still huge.

Bowser has a consistent size in many games that's like only 7 foot. Ridley has been consistently humongous, excluding sprite form
Back to top Go down
Alexander

Alexander

Fox
  KingTremolo

Ridley Discussion  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridley Discussion    Ridley Discussion  EmptyWed Feb 10, 2016 8:59 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but those sprite appearances were the canon ones anyway, so the "too big" thing really makes sense. Heck, in the original he's only about as big as Samus.
Back to top Go down
Braystar
Level 7 CPU
Braystar

Waluigi
  N/A

Ridley Discussion  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridley Discussion    Ridley Discussion  EmptyWed Feb 10, 2016 9:15 pm

But later games show his larger size. Old sprites shouldn't be the first thing for canon.
Back to top Go down
Ridori
Level 2 CPU
Ridori

Ridley Discussion  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridley Discussion    Ridley Discussion  EmptyFri Feb 19, 2016 12:58 pm

Braystar wrote:
Sakurai also said a lot of bulls**t that contradicts what is present in Smash and Metroid and before that, he gave us the worst incarnation of Ridley ever. That model is so horribly done and he is just a joke. Not worth calling Ridley even.
Size never was important to Ridley anyway. Just part of transition from Metroid to Super Metroid. Without that, you'd be dealing with tough boss version of Red Arremer or Satan from Ghost 'N Goblins. He is not Kraid, Quadraxis or Chykka. He doesn't uses it.
Oh, and he is 4.1m in Super Metroid and Fusion (not Ridley-X), 4.1m (4.4m if you make him less hunched over like in SM) in Zero Mission and 4.8m in Other M, for those who are curious (image for size comparisons here). All of those are 95% accurate. And if you are wondering why Other M Ridley is posed like this instead of being in T-pose and why i didn't use SM Ridley's sprite with legs fully extended, then it's because thats how he stands in Metroid games. It's worse in Metroid Prime. Either way, that is within 4-5 meters in all of his canonical organic appearances, Braystar.
Back to top Go down
TrinitroMan
Level 7 CPU
TrinitroMan

Ridley Discussion  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridley Discussion    Ridley Discussion  EmptyFri Feb 19, 2016 11:30 pm

I'm sorry, but that would still be too big for Smash.
However, I did a size comparison between Samus and Ridley in the case for SSF2's Samus sprites and Ridley's ZM sprites:
Ridley Discussion  1IWfW0Z
Now Ridley is only a little bigger than Bowser, and I think that size would be perfect to scale Ridley down to playable form while still being big enough to be as terrifying as in the Metroid games.
Back to top Go down
Ridori
Level 2 CPU
Ridori

Ridley Discussion  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridley Discussion    Ridley Discussion  EmptySat Feb 20, 2016 8:57 am

TrinitroMan wrote:
I'm sorry, but that would still be too big for Smash.
However, I did a size comparison between Samus and Ridley in the case for SSF2's Samus sprites and Ridley's ZM sprites:
Ridley Discussion  1IWfW0Z
Now Ridley is only a little bigger than Bowser, and I think that size would be perfect to scale Ridley down to playable form while still being big enough to be as terrifying as in the Metroid games.
That size comparizon had nothing to do with Smash and he is too big on your image (far bigger than Bowser). He would clip through platforms while standing. Better size would be this:
Ridley Discussion  F08P4uY
Big enough to be obviously bigger than Samus, but no big enough to clip through everything (wings shouldn't clip through stuff most of the time). And he doesn't needs to be big to be scary. He already has that elbow neck and "purple/brown space dragon pterosaur xenomorph" already sounds like something a kid came up with. He is scary for different reasons.
BTW, looking at that sprite makes me wish Ridley was drawn properly in SSBC. He can't stand straight for more than a second or two, but not in SSBC.

...we probably shouldn't argue about Ridley's size. This has nothing to do with SSBC.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ridley Discussion  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ridley Discussion    Ridley Discussion  Empty

Back to top Go down

Ridley Discussion
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next