PostSubject: Mario Discussion   Mario Discussion EmptyWed Oct 01, 2014 11:57 pm

Discuss, share opinions, ideas, etc. about Mario
Back to top Go down
Mellon
Level 5 CPU
Mellon

mellon1111

Mario Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mario Discussion   Mario Discussion EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 6:55 am

Wait, noone has posted ANYTHING here? Wow...well, I'll get straight to it. Mario does not have a hammer in his moveset!

Why is this not a thing yet?! The Hammer has been Mario's main weapon since the original Donkey Kong! Sure, you could argue that it's an item, but so is the Fire Flower! And Mario can still shoot fireballs! If Mario got to use the hammer in his moveset, it should either be his Side Smash (Which I think is fine) or, what I would prefer, his Down Special. Sure, Fludd is more original than the "Mario Tornado", but the Hammer would make more sense and be more useful. I have an idea about how this move could work.

In Mario&Luigi: Bowser's inside story, both Mario and Luigi can hit extremely hard with the hammers by timing their swings. Something similar could be implemented into Crusade! By charging the move, Mario raises the hammer above his head, and it will eventually Flash for a split second. If you let go of B at this exact moment, the hammer will deal skyrocketing amounts of damage-However, there's a backside. If you let go of B too late, or don't let go of B at all, the head of the Hammer will pop off, resulting in you hitting the target with a measly 2% damage from the handle. I think this is a pretty nice idea.
Back to top Go down
Falcon8r

Falcon8r

Mario Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mario Discussion   Mario Discussion EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 8:40 am

Seems like that move would be pretty involved to use. Honestly, I like the classic Smash Mario and would rather see something like the hammer (especially if it's to have a timed button press) reserved for Paper Mario or similar character.
Back to top Go down
Mellon
Level 5 CPU
Mellon

mellon1111

Mario Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mario Discussion   Mario Discussion EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 9:10 am

Maybe...I just think it's strange the Hammer hasn't appeared in Mario's moveset yet, and that his and Luigi's down specials are pretty lame.
Back to top Go down
TaXMaN
Level 6 CPU
TaXMaN

PAC-MAN

Mario Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mario Discussion   Mario Discussion EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 3:14 pm

Mario's current Down B gives him a better chance at recovering. Take that away and Mario has a below average recovery. I agree with Falcon, the hammer would be more suitable for Paper Mario.
Back to top Go down
Gamey DJ
Level 6 CPU
Gamey DJ

nah

Mario Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mario Discussion   Mario Discussion EmptyFri Dec 19, 2014 4:13 pm

Well heres the thing tho. Mario only uses hammers for RPGs and yes I know he uses a hammer in Donkey Kong and Wrecking Crew, but adding a hammer to his moveset would make mario seem too "Wacky" to me. If Mario ever needed a better down special why not do like the same old Mario tornado, but with a raccoon tail. Or just dont change it at all which is the most famous option. *coughalsothebestcough*
Back to top Go down
Dry

Mario Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mario Discussion   Mario Discussion EmptySat Dec 20, 2014 2:12 am

not taking a side on the hammer debate, but since is when is Mario not wacky?
Back to top Go down
Mellon
Level 5 CPU
Mellon

mellon1111

Mario Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mario Discussion   Mario Discussion EmptySun Dec 21, 2014 8:52 am

Gamey DJ wrote:
Mario only uses hammers for RPGs and yes I know he uses a hammer in Donkey Kong and Wrecking Crew, but adding a hammer to his moveset would make mario seem too "Wacky" to me.

Why? What's wrong with that? He almost got a game called "Mario's Wacky world!" Plus, there's the hammer bro suit, so no. Not only old-school and rpgs.
Back to top Go down
TaXMaN
Level 6 CPU
TaXMaN

PAC-MAN

Mario Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mario Discussion   Mario Discussion EmptySun Dec 21, 2014 9:13 am

I understand that Mario is a wacky character and all but what does the hammer bro suit have to do with Mario whacking someone with a hammer. Sure, he tosses hammers but that's an entire different attack AND the hammer bro suit never made an appearance outside SMB 3 (atleast to my knowledge).
Back to top Go down
GamingGryffindor
Level 6 CPU
GamingGryffindor

Mario Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mario Discussion   Mario Discussion EmptySun Dec 21, 2014 8:27 pm

I have to agree the M&L-styled Hammer works better for Paper Mario.
Back to top Go down
Mellon
Level 5 CPU
Mellon

mellon1111

Mario Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mario Discussion   Mario Discussion EmptyThu Jan 01, 2015 9:26 am

Yep...just an idea I had. His or Luigi's down special should be changed tho.
Back to top Go down
TrinitroMan
Level 7 CPU
TrinitroMan

Mario Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mario Discussion   Mario Discussion EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 4:45 am

Excuse me, but am I the only one actually liked Mario's FLUDD Down Special in the more recent Smash games?
I mean, come on, Luigi has that already, and if you really want a Mario with the Down Special from Melee that bad, then why not just introduce Dr Mario as an EX Mario (sharing the same CSS spot like Mario)? That way, we could satisfy both Mario fans: Fans of the Mario Tornado and fans of the FLUDD.
Back to top Go down
TaXMaN
Level 6 CPU
TaXMaN

PAC-MAN

Mario Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mario Discussion   Mario Discussion EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 6:40 am

TrinitroMan wrote:
Excuse me, but am I the only one actually liked Mario's FLUDD Down Special in the more recent Smash games?
I mean, come on, Luigi has that already, and if you really want a Mario with the Down Special from Melee that bad, then why not just introduce Dr Mario as an EX Mario (sharing the same CSS spot like Mario)? That way, we could satisfy both Mario fans: Fans of the Mario Tornado and fans of the FLUDD.

A whole new sprite set just for one move that almost everyone hates? It's not worth the time and effort.
Back to top Go down
TrinitroMan
Level 7 CPU
TrinitroMan

Mario Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mario Discussion   Mario Discussion EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 6:56 am

Hmm...actually, I did sprited an animation of Mario using the FLUDD, but sadly, it's M&L-styled.
But who knows, maybe I could actually edit those sprites into SPP-style, which Crusade Mario uses.
I only need a single sprite of him for references (colors, proportions, yaddayadda).
Back to top Go down
Perfect Hell

Perfect Hell

Mario Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mario Discussion   Mario Discussion EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 8:27 pm

The problem is, liking FLUDD is a major minority among mario players.
Back to top Go down
TrinitroMan
Level 7 CPU
TrinitroMan

Mario Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mario Discussion   Mario Discussion EmptyFri Apr 17, 2015 2:20 am

Yeah, and that's really sad. More people should like that, because the FLUDD isn't even that bad.
Of course it still can be improven, but that's what fangames are for: Improving on original ideas.
I think that if the FLUDD's range will be increased, more people will like it, because an attack doesn't have to deal damage in order to be good.
Back to top Go down
Mellon
Level 5 CPU
Mellon

mellon1111

Mario Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mario Discussion   Mario Discussion EmptyThu Apr 23, 2015 7:16 am

'Kay, so I've been lurking in this thread for quite a while and finally been able to come up with a solution to the down b debate.

You know what all Smash 4 Mario mains do when they get the opponent off-stage? They bait out a double jump, spray them with water and Side+B any incoming attempts of recovery! This makes Mario very good at edgeguarding, but since he can't use the down b to gain height anymore he fails at recovering most of the time. My suggestion is to make Mario's down b different in the air, since practically nobody uses FLUDD in the air. So, in order to not make air Down B too different from ground Down B, I suggest changing it to the Hover Nozzle! By tapping the A button repeatedly, the players will be able to gain some height and spray water downwards, possibly pushing foes away!
Back to top Go down
Falcon8r

Falcon8r

Mario Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mario Discussion   Mario Discussion EmptyThu Apr 23, 2015 9:01 am

Actually, Hover Nozzle is not a bad solution to that problem at all. However, there's the issue of most people just flat-out preferring Mario Tornado. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Dry

Mario Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mario Discussion   Mario Discussion EmptyThu Apr 23, 2015 12:02 pm

Mario Tornado as dair, and mash A to gain height? Or would be that be too unusual for a standard attack?
Back to top Go down
TaXMaN
Level 6 CPU
TaXMaN

PAC-MAN

Mario Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mario Discussion   Mario Discussion EmptyThu Apr 23, 2015 12:14 pm

I've never been a fan of FLUDD being Mario's down B but adding the Hover Nozzle would be quite interesting. Good thinking, Mellon! Smile
Back to top Go down
Mellon
Level 5 CPU
Mellon

mellon1111

Mario Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mario Discussion   Mario Discussion EmptySat Apr 25, 2015 5:07 am

Falcon8r wrote:
However, there's the issue of most people just flat-out preferring Mario Tornado. Very Happy

Well, if people like the Mario Tornado's hitboxes, we could try to implement them into FLUDD. Touching Mario would rapidly damage the foes like the Mario tornado and also carry them downwards to the water streams. Other than the hitboxes I don't really know why people would prefer the Mario Tornado over the hover nozzle.
Back to top Go down
Perfect Hell

Perfect Hell

Mario Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mario Discussion   Mario Discussion EmptySat Apr 25, 2015 11:54 am

Mario Tornado can also recover by mashing B. Between hitboxes and improved recovery versus the utterly useless FLUDD, i'd prefer the tornado.
Back to top Go down
Mellon
Level 5 CPU
Mellon

mellon1111

Mario Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mario Discussion   Mario Discussion EmptySat Apr 25, 2015 1:00 pm

Perfect Hell wrote:
Mario Tornado can also recover by mashing B.  Between hitboxes and improved recovery versus the utterly useless FLUDD, i'd prefer the tornado.

I know that Mario Tornado carries players upwards and that's why I proposed the idea of the Hover Nozzle, so that people used to a recovery Down B wouldn't have to change their gameplay style too much. Oh, and F.L.U.D.D is FAR from useless.
Back to top Go down
SnivyKawaii
Level 6 CPU
SnivyKawaii

Snivy

Mario Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mario Discussion   Mario Discussion EmptySat Apr 25, 2015 1:12 pm

I have an idea if you keep pressing mario would use F.L.U.D.D, if pressed and released quickly will use Mario Tornado
more or less how it works Megaman Nspecial
Back to top Go down
http://snivykawaii.tumblr.com/
TrinitroMan
Level 7 CPU
TrinitroMan

Mario Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mario Discussion   Mario Discussion EmptySat Apr 25, 2015 11:02 pm

Sorry, but that sounds really messy.
It would be better to just leave the Mario Tornado to a possible playable Dr. Mario, since SM4SH did the exact same thing and it worked (Dr. Mario should just NOT get his own slot, but instead be an EX Mario).
Back to top Go down
TaXMaN
Level 6 CPU
TaXMaN

PAC-MAN

Mario Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mario Discussion   Mario Discussion EmptySun Apr 26, 2015 2:04 am

An even simpler solution would be to have a Mario alt similar to Ryu's Final smash alt. In other words, this alt has the exact same sprites and moves except for the FLUDD down B. The only problem I see with this solution is that it may make Mario less predictable since you can't tell which down special he has until he executes it (though this could be good or bad).
Back to top Go down
B-Hard
Level 1 CPU

N/A

Mario Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mario Discussion   Mario Discussion EmptySun Nov 29, 2015 5:45 pm

I think very good mario moveset I have no complaints to min it is one of the best characters in the game it is easy to play and has great movements Smile
Back to top Go down
Sean_McMuffin
Level 4 CPU
Sean_McMuffin

Mach Rider
  EnderSean311

Mario Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mario Discussion   Mario Discussion EmptySun Jan 10, 2016 3:46 pm

Honestly, i'm surprised nobody has posted about changing the cape like this yet, but... Here we go.

Side B:
What if Mario could use his cape to glide? I always thought it was weird how he just flings out his cape in the smash games. Instead, Mario's Cape on ground could do a twirl like in SMW, reflecting in both directions. But, if you are in the air when you use your cape, you will start gliding in whatever direction you are facing. It will work just like in SMW by moving your control stick forwards and back to stay in flight. Plus, you could even dive headfirst, to gain momentum upwards! But of course, when you stop flying you will be immobilized. You cannot change your cape's direction though, because that would just be broken. There would also be a significant amount of landing lag, and a time limit on how long you can stay gliding.

Down B:
Like Mellon said earlier, the hover nozzle would be really cool as a down-b in the air. On the ground it would act as normal FLUDD but in the air if you used it, you would be able to keep yourself up, similar to Peach's glide. Plus, it could be really good for edgeguarding by pushing opponents downwards. And, you could use your cape out of it for an even better horizontal recovery.

Up B:
Instead of the Mario Tornado as a down special, why not use it for up special? In the SMG games, a spin is used to propel yourself upward, so how about in Smash? It wouldn't be that great of a vertical recovery though, so you would not go into free falling after using it, and you will be able to use an attack or any other means of recovery. This move also has a hitbox on both sides of Mario, so it is similar to Peach or Ness' neutral air.

Up Smash
Mario's old up special could just be his up smash. It would be the exact same as before, but you can only use it on the ground.

Hopefully this moveset would differentiate Mario from Dr. Mario now that he is announced, and anyone who preferred the old Mario's moveset, could use his doctor counterpart.

Again, these are just some clever suggestions, so agree or disagree as you will.
Back to top Go down
OmegaSteve777
Level 8 CPU
OmegaSteve777

Gooey

Mario Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mario Discussion   Mario Discussion EmptySun Jan 10, 2016 4:00 pm

The problem with the first two is that those are both moves that commonly used in the air. Plus changing specials while on the ground or not would be...confusing.

Also his Up special is way more iconic than his star spinny thing. His up special his used in every game where he jumps into a ? Block. Star Spin is in Mario Galaxy and it's sequel.

No thanks
Back to top Go down
TaXMaN
Level 6 CPU
TaXMaN

PAC-MAN

Mario Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mario Discussion   Mario Discussion EmptyMon Nov 06, 2017 11:01 am

B-throw Bowser with Mario. I freaking love you guys!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Mario Discussion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mario Discussion   Mario Discussion Empty

Back to top Go down

Mario Discussion
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next