So I just found this incredible kickstarter project called Cradle. It's an action RPG game redefining how you play the genre. Everything from the combat system to quests and exploration to progression is all being redefined in a way that sounds far more intuitive and awesome than any RPG I've ever seen, and I play a heck of a lot of RPG games. Spread the word, back the project!
- 5 character classes: Arcanist, Druid, Ranger, Paladin, Swordsman
- 6 weapon types per class
- Progression system that is not based on upgrading your equipment to get better numbers, but rather on strategic use of resources
- Combat system not based in hack and slash with numbers and percentages, but entirely in the skill of the player. Intuitive combat revolves around choosing where and how on your opponent's body to strike, how and when to block vs dodge, stringing attacks together seamlessly, etc.
- Blocking system that factors in weapon type and weight. A small dagger is not going to fully block a hammer swing, you will take recoil and stun. Maybe instead you opt for a dodge. An opponent's small dagger will barely register against your large shield, take advantage of that
- What type of swing you do effects what type of swing you can seamlessly go into next. If an attack can work that way, you will not go into guard in between swings
- If you are too close to an opponent, you will push them back rather than swing your weapon. The type of push/melee depends on the weapon you are using, distance to opponent, and where on the body you are aiming
- Combat system is realistic and intuitive
- Lush and varied environments with graphics built for the highest end PC as well as settings to accommodate for the average PC and even laptop
- Quests are not chores or lists, but exploration fueled by the world itself rather than an NPC telling you to kill 25 rats
- Large story/narrative experience driving the game
- 4 open worlds totaling about 70% the size of Skyrim
- Incredible and immersive soundtrack
- Gather herbs to make healing salves, gather mana from the land to power your special weapon upgrades
- Intuitive movement system far above and beyond that seen in other open world RPG's, and also based on character class. Ranger's might nimbly climb and jump over obstacles while a Paladin who could not do this would get through by smashing apart obstacles in his way, while an Arcanist would use magic to reshape the world and create his path
This game has great ideas and potential, I'm excited to see where it goes. I have personally funded the $35 backing, which allows alpha access. Spread this page to other gamers through social media, forums, and whatever other internet communication means you use!