Project Crusade Community

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Making pallets in the game

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Traweezie

Traweezie

Making pallets in the game Empty
PostSubject: Making pallets in the game   Making pallets in the game EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 5:06 am

So I came up with this great idea! For those of you that know mugen may know a program named fighter factory. Fight factory allows you to make your pallets Super duper easy. It's usually used to make mugen characters but I thought we can use this as a short cut of making pallets

example in spoiler:
Spoiler:

This was my first attempt at making a pallet for Kirby. If could get permission from the devs I would like to make pallets for the game but I'll need the sprite files of course

well discuss!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/traweezie?feature=mhee
Jak

Klonoa

PostSubject: Re: Making pallets in the game   Making pallets in the game EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 6:38 am

Right now I don't plan to triple the number of sprites in order to have palette swaps
Back to top Go down
Dry

PostSubject: Re: Making pallets in the game   Making pallets in the game EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 7:10 am

This is a terrible idea that almost definitely won't work, but it's the only thing I could come up with. If we want palette swaps while keeping the same number of sprites, we could reduce all sprites to a light monochrome colour, then use image_blend in the coding to give them different colours. So for Kirby, we would find the right shade of grey for him, so that when you put image_blend=pink it becomes like the current Kirby sprite we have now. Then code in blue, yellow, green or whatever colour palette swapped we want for Kirby. Probably the biggest problem with this is how much work it would take just to get each sprite to an image_blendable colour.
Back to top Go down
Traweezie

Traweezie

PostSubject: Re: Making pallets in the game   Making pallets in the game EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 8:10 am

Dry wrote:
This is a terrible idea that almost definitely won't work, but it's the only thing I could come up with. If we want palette swaps while keeping the same number of sprites, we could reduce all sprites to a light monochrome colour, then use image_blend in the coding to give them different colours. So for Kirby, we would find the right shade of grey for him, so that when you put image_blend=pink it becomes like the current Kirby sprite we have now. Then code in blue, yellow, green or whatever colour palette swapped we want for Kirby. Probably the biggest problem with this is how much work it would take just to get each sprite to an image_blendable colour.

So in other words the game would change the color itself rather than reading sprites that can set in a folder.. I understand that your way would reduce memory but wouldn't that be harder to do? could the game base a pallet swap of a sprite file file and apply it to the other sprites? I feel like your way would change the color of the character( a single color red, blue, green) rather than an actual pallet swap shown above... and it serious takes no time to make pallet for me because you could pick a color and adjust the tint. Plus it could works beyond single colored characters..
Example below:
Spoiler:

The only thing I could find terrible about this idea is the amount of space it would use... unless we could find another solution.
Back to top Go down
Dry

PostSubject: Re: Making pallets in the game   Making pallets in the game EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 8:37 am

Thinking about my idea, it wouldn't even work at all. How would we get Meta Knight to have a golden sword if image_blend is dark blue? Idiot me for coming up with that.

As for yours, I think it's just a problem with space, so if someone had a way round that it would work.
Back to top Go down
Traweezie

Traweezie

PostSubject: Re: Making pallets in the game   Making pallets in the game EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 8:45 am

Dry wrote:
Thinking about my idea, it wouldn't even work at all. How would we get Meta Knight to have a golden sword if image_blend is dark blue? Idiot me for coming up with that.

As for yours, I think it's just a problem with space, so if someone had a way round that it would work.

I'ma try looking around the gm forums to see if I could find anything. Your idea isn't that bad though.. if I don't find anything maybe we could expand upon it to work with multiple colors. So characters like meta and mewtwo could get the proper colors
Back to top Go down
Ganonthegreat

Ganonthegreat

Ganonthegreat

PostSubject: Re: Making pallets in the game   Making pallets in the game EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 8:51 am

Is there a way you can make the game tint the sprites manually?
Back to top Go down
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Ganonthegreat/
Traweezie

Traweezie

PostSubject: Re: Making pallets in the game   Making pallets in the game EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 8:54 am

Freshman Gaben wrote:
Is there a way you can make the game tint the sprites manually?

Yeah there is... well that's exactly dry said above but the problem with that is it'll be with one color only rather than multiple ones... unless we could expand upon the idea to make it change more than one color
Back to top Go down
Super Smash Bros Crusade
Administrator
Super Smash Bros Crusade

PostSubject: Re: Making pallets in the game   Making pallets in the game EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 11:50 am

hey
if people want alt colors, here's all they have to do
1. open every frame of every animation in paint
2. select a color in the sprite with the left click color select, then pick the color you're replacing it with with the right click color select
3. select the eraser tool and right-click drag it all over the sprite, this will replace the old color with the new one
4. repeat ad infinitum
5. replace sprites in folder, making sure all animations are the same size and speed
Back to top Go down
https://projectcrusade.forumotion.com
Dr.MarioX
Level 8 CPU
Dr.MarioX

PostSubject: Re: Making pallets in the game   Making pallets in the game EmptyWed Aug 01, 2012 12:42 pm

I think if 8.1 can shift hue with code, then we could do that as an alt. color bar that you could adjust, but that's it.
Back to top Go down
http://machriderz.deviantart.com/
UltraMikeManTheBo$$
Level 4 CPU
UltraMikeManTheBo$$

PostSubject: Re: Making pallets in the game   Making pallets in the game EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 9:45 am

Very Happy

Last edited by MikeMan214 on Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dry

PostSubject: Re: Making pallets in the game   Making pallets in the game EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 10:05 am

No
Back to top Go down
UltraMikeManTheBo$$
Level 4 CPU
UltraMikeManTheBo$$

PostSubject: Re: Making pallets in the game   Making pallets in the game EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 10:42 am

Will it be added at some point in time?
Back to top Go down
Dry

PostSubject: Re: Making pallets in the game   Making pallets in the game EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 10:47 am

Aren't those two questions exactly the same?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Making pallets in the game   Making pallets in the game EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 10:48 am

lol they are.
Back to top Go down
UltraMikeManTheBo$$
Level 4 CPU
UltraMikeManTheBo$$

PostSubject: Re: Making pallets in the game   Making pallets in the game EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 11:45 am

Sorry my bad, i mean like for DLC if you maybe make it possible. Smile

Last edited by MikeMan214 on Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Making pallets in the game   Making pallets in the game EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 11:47 am

Oh well. It's not a huge loss, but it's still something I would've liked to see.
Back to top Go down
Jak

Klonoa

PostSubject: Re: Making pallets in the game   Making pallets in the game EmptySun Oct 28, 2012 12:27 pm

Palette swaps are not entirely out of question, but don't expect to see them in 0.9.
Back to top Go down
Frag Fiesta
Level 1 CPU
Frag Fiesta

PostSubject: Re: Making pallets in the game   Making pallets in the game EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 3:12 pm

Well, the SSF2 team found out how to do it. Maybe you guys could ask them?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Making pallets in the game   Making pallets in the game EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 3:15 pm

Jaklub wrote:
Palette swaps are not entirely out of question, but don't expect to see them in 0.9.
No one reads anymore
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Making pallets in the game   Making pallets in the game Empty

Back to top Go down

Making pallets in the game
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1